Spahin By Pass Road

KhunChalong

I went looking yesterday to no avail. I hoped it was the one where you turn off CF East atg the lovely dispaly of HM the King and proced 1 block (long) east go north and thne go north to make a right at the light etc. The dead end road just below Land and Trans offit looks to go right thru the other dead end oine block from CC East. Not

So, where is theis magig road!

I think you referring to the proposed road which has apparently got the go ahead for construction. Turn right from Chao Fa East at the Dowroong school intersection & then go straight at the next set of lights. It has been in the pipeline for many years & as it has to pass through mangrove there were quite a few government departments involved before permission was finally granted.

I think you referring to the proposed road which has apparently got the go ahead for construction. Turn right from Chao Fa East at the Dowroong school intersection & then go straight at the next set of lights. It has been in the pipeline for many years & as it has to pass through mangrove there were quite a few government departments involved before permission was finally granted.

The road the OP is talking about was finished and opened recently. Not sure exactly where it runs from though.

The road the OP is talking about was finished and opened recently. Not sure exactly where it runs from though.

From the description I am pretty sure he was talking about the proposed road to Saphan Hin. Are you thinking of the one just opened which runs behind Homeworks & comes out at the stadium, you get on it by turning left just before HW.

It mentions somewhere that it joins Sapan Hin (near immigration) with Suan Luang Park in Phuket Town.

Nowhere near the stadium.

Yeh, the road I read about, said it was joining the two Phuket town parks together, one being Sapan Hin??

Yes, agree. The road opening I just read about said it went from the Chao Fha East Rd to Sakdidet Soi 1.

Confused me because it seems to be the same road I used to go to Immi over 3 months ago.

It would be nice if they ever finished (linked) the Sakdidet Soi 7 road which would make cross access to the city much easier.

Yes, agree. The road opening I just read about said it went from the Chao Fha East Rd to Sakdidet Soi 1.

Confused me because it seems to be the same road I used to go to Immi over 3 months ago.

It would be nice if they ever finished (linked) the Sakdidet Soi 7 road which would make cross access to the city much easier.

I'm an old croc also but still going pan baht mahk mahk etc.

Yeah, just went to Immi on tue after a mon recon. same same. Seems that you have to go up CFEast a bit more. No help to the Southern HKT Folk. What ever road it is that you take the building is going off just like HKT. Shophouseville will be the new name!

I was wondering, am i the only one who does not have a single clue to what this "aussie" is trying to say? He speaks like a bad joke about bar girls, How do you guys make anything of it?

If you read it with an OZ accent, it all makes perfect sence. If you say 'Barbie' in an English accent, you think of a doll, but say it in an OZ accent, and you think of sizzling prawns. :)

There used to be a regular poster on here called something like 'NZpete' His posts used to crack me up. They were written exactly as if he was talking to his mates in a bar. He sounded like an extra in a Crocodile Dundee film.

I was wondering, am i the only one who does not have a single clue to what this "aussie" is trying to say? He speaks like a bad joke about bar girls, How do you guys make anything of it?

Same here, no idea.

If you read it with an OZ accent, it all makes perfect sence. If you say 'Barbie' in an English accent, you think of a doll, but say it in an OZ accent, and you think of sizzling prawns. :)

There used to be a regular poster on here called something like 'NZpete' His posts used to crack me up. They were written exactly as if he was talking to his mates in a bar. He sounded like an extra in a Crocodile Dundee film.

lol :jap: :jap: :jap:

I must be one hell of a idiot to never use my local slang/accent with any foreign person :blink:

I believe ZPete is from NZ. I found the OP & his subsequent post quite hard to fathom even though I spent many years in OZ. Anyway this thread is rather pointless considering the road in question to Saphan Hin (which was actually built as an extension from Chao Fa West just near Promphan) is not fully complete yet & I think most of us know how to get to immigration.

I believe ZPete is from NZ. I found the OP & his subsequent post quite hard to fathom even though I spent many years in OZ. Anyway this thread is rather pointless considering the road in question to Saphan Hin (which was actually built as an extension from Chao Fa West just near Promphan) is not fully complete yet & I think most of us know how to get to immigration.

Well I'm confused then, because the road I was reading about, probably in the PG, had just opened and had a big opening ceremony with a parade with marching bands!!

EDIT: Just found the article. As someone said, the road is a shortcut between Suan Luang park and Saphan Hin, by going from Chao Fa East to Sakdidet Rd, Soi 1. Construction started in 2008 and finished December 8th 2010. The opening ceremony was on Christmas eve.I have know idea who is talking about what roads anymore, and am now offically beyond caring.

Edited by BangTaoBoy

• 1 month later...

I found it today. After a lengthy/heated/hilarious discussion at lunch today, I got the directions and tried it.

It saves me a bit of time getting from Chalong via Chao Fah East to Surin Road (east side of Phuket Town) but clearly that is not a route that many people want to take as I saw 2 - that is, TWO - other cars and 2 - yes, TWO - bikes as I drove along it on a busy Sunday afternoon. One could say, if one wanted to be unkind, that it was a complete waste of 50 million baht, but those who profited from its construction wouldn't, of course.

The road starts opposite and 60 metres south of the entrance to Suan Luang Park off Chao Fah East and becomes a 4 lane road that then heads south across a roundabout as it joins Sakdidet Soi 1 - see the red line on the picture.

I wonder why they made it turn right and head south - there's clearly a track (for bikers?) that goes straight on to join Rattanakosin Song Roi Pi Road just north of the traffic lights with Sakdidet soi 1. Maybe they'll do that later after some cash has exchanged hands.

gallery_35489_956_151960.jpg

Of course, the road we in Phuket Town are all waiting for is the one marked in yellow - just 500 metres straight through to Saphan Hin from Chao Fah West and Chao Fah East.

I wonder who owns that land?

I wonder how much he's holding out for?

What's the Thai for "compulsory purchase"?

Your yellow line is the one that passes through the mangroves. See post#2.

Thanks for clarifying the other road (in red) I still wasn't sure exactly where it went until now. Seems a waste.

Ah! So that's the "mangrove" swamp road, is it? Thank Buddha they've got the go-ahead to finish it. That road will be instantly flooded with drivers easing the traffic on Chao Fah East through Phuket Town, unlike the almost total waste of concrete that is the "Sakdidet by-pass" road.

One big problem with the "Sakdidet by-pass" road is that it is almost impossible to turn into when coming from the south, because no Thai driver coming from Phuket town will stop to let anyone turn in front of him, especially when he's just picking up speed to beat the lights further south.

And no one from the north wants to use it because it doesn't go anywhere useful - there are several other ways to get to Saphan Hin from the north without going through that bit of congested Chao Fah East.

The new road to go through the mangrove was started many years ago running from Chao Fa West & once complete should prove quite useful unlike the "short cut" that runs behind Homeworks which IMO was a complete waste of money. Time to start looking ahead such as buying some land in & around the T-junction at Samkong so it can be widened, the same with the narrow stretch alongside Promphan which strangles the traffic where I think you will find much of that land was encroached upon many years ago. Phuket will come to a standstill in the not too distant future unless steps are undertaken urgently. A good example is the stretch of road running up from Poonphol Plaza which finally got widened into 4 lanes but there needs to be many more of these. Remember how long it took to get 4 lanes through Thalang but which is now jammed at times.

Edited by Valentine