Leaving Your Country To Live Permanently To Thailand

Beetlejuice

What consensus? A lot of people including my self love living in Thailand. Thailand is one of the most popular expat destinations. I gave up a high paying job in the USA to move to Thailand and am happy I did. And despite all the horror stories about Thai women on these blogs I'm happily married to a Thai woman. Take a Thai woman over an American woman any day. One of the best decisions I ever made.

Now we're talking! But I bet that would be expensive...

I'd be frightened to even suggest it, till I'd hidden the scissors

SC

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thread, Beetlejuice, and lots of thoughtful replies. I feel sorry for Sunraze and her similar story to that of F1fanatic. There are too many men who fall for the Thai seductress and lose more than they ever expected to gain. Most are innocent men living in a bit of a dream world and never learned how easily they can be manipulated.

I've told my story so many times here I'm not going to repeat it, but I learned early to never to saw off the limb you are sitting on. Never invest anything in Thailand that you aren't willing to walk away from at a moment's notice.

I love Thailand for many reasons, but I only stay here during the Canadian winter months. I am pretty much of a loner and quite happy being by myself. I've got a group of friends here and don't really need any more. I've got enough money to live on if I'm not too extravagant. I can travel where I want, when I want, and I'm quite happy eating simple Thai food and living in Thai hotels.

Some day I'll probably not be able to live this life style anymore, and I'll wistfully say goodbye. I'll sit in my rocking chair in Canada and tell tall tales to my grand children. I'll have enough photographs to make them believe that maybe half my tales might actually be true.

Very hard to disagree with the general consensus here.

Thailand is still cheapish, but what price clean water, safe drivers and conversations that talk about ideas, not people?

Thailand has its place for the lonely, the perverse and those unable to make much money back home. Unfortunately that includes me, lol

What consensus? A lot of people including my self love living in Thailand. Thailand is one of the most popular expat destinations. I gave up a high paying job in the USA to move to Thailand and am happy I did. And despite all the horror stories about Thai women on these blogs I'm happily married to a Thai woman. Take a Thai woman over an American woman any day. One of the best decisions I ever made.

Guess thats what makes the world keep spinning, takes all sorts.

I'm happy to live in any country where pretty girls 1/2 my age are more than happy to share my bed.

I didn't leave the UK to come to Thailand for that reason, but once I realized, there was no going back.

I believe ya pj, millions wouldn't but i do!!!

Cheers

Am I the odd man out? I have always been restless and eager to explore newplaces, new people, new ideas. I really started the divorce from my family at theage of about 13 or 14 years. I had won a scholarship and was learning foreignlanguages, science - a whole lot of stuff that they didn't understand or wantedto know about.. Even the kids that I had grown up with didn't want me to playfootball or cricket with them any more since in their eyes I had abandonedthem to follow another path rather than being just another brick in the wall. Igave up on schooling since nobody close to me seemed interested or encouraging,certainly not the snotty schoolmasters fresh from the Wardroom or Officers Mess,and so I satisfied my curious nature by travelling round London exploring andseeing the sights, visiting museums or satisfying my passion for steamtrains.

I joined the Navy aged 15 to get away from my family and to explore theworld. I was aware that I needed transient external stimulus to keep me tickingover and enjoyed the titillation of new experiences. I gathered experience ofnew climates, strange countries with even stranger customs, new foods,different peoples, Force 10 gales and serene calm seas, the horror of warfareand the companionship of messmates from different parts of the UK.There was never time to be bored.

On leaving the service I drifted, hating a humdrum life and then I found thecomputer industry. I loved the challenge of programming and having my mentalsenses running at pace just to keep up with new developments. After my parentsdied I emigrated to South Africaand for all the family know I am still there. It has been 40 years since I had anycontact with them and if it happens after another 40 years it will be too soon.I savoured the challenge of management and climbing into the upper echelons ofthe company. I travelled extensively and worked overseas for extensive periods.There was always something new to keep me full of vim.

On retiring I sought a haven to settle and lived for varying periods in Spain,Brittany and Floridabefore settling on Thailand.Some may say that advancing years have mellowed me but I give full credit to mywonderful attentive Thai wife and my great Thai family. They have shown me anew way to live. I live amongst friends, am at last content with what is andhave become a gentler more rounded person. No longer the search for freshsensations; I am where I want to be.

I miss nothing of the UK.I have a surfeit of football and of golf from around the world beamed into mylounge. The younger members of my Thai family gladden my heart watchingthem grow physically and mentally as they absorb the things that I teach them.When I go up country I am content to sit and watch the crops grow. I don't knowwhat I have done to deserve this richness of my life. I will never set foot inthe UK again;for a multitude of reasons it isn't my country any more.

I note all the negative things about Thailandthat others have stated in their posts and am of the same mind. I am contentthat many Thais feel the same way and that the first small steps are beingtaken to eliminate the wrongs and injustices of the past.

What a great life and a great story, you clearly have inner happiness and I am pleased for you. I too am content here with my lovely Thai wife and her supportive family.

The past is the past , never look back.

Much better to look ahead and plan what you really want to do with your life.

Yes losing friends and family is a part of it but you will always find new ones.

I am not going back.

Edited by balo

Every body wants to live in the best places in the world, every body wants a good life , if that means no stress or debit , then every body's the same , but it all boils down to one thing MONEY. If every body in the Good old place of England had bags of money there would be a lot less stress, the same goes for any where in the World.But it is all in your heads because some people would not be happy anywhere , they would get bored, start to moan about every thing. the same as living in Thailand, And then there are people who want to be top of the tree or number 1, Which is basically what its all about selfishness, now we are back to moaning , and so on .

Edited by Thongkorn

Every body wants to live in the best places in the world, every body wants a good life , if that means no stress or debit , then every body's the same , but it all boils down to one thing MONEY. If every body in the Good old place of England had bags of money there would be a lot less stress, the same goes for any where in the World.But it is all in your heads because some people would not be happy anywhere , they would get bored, start to moan about every thing. the same as living in Thailand, And then there are people who want to be top of the tree or number 1, Which is basically what its all about selfishness, now we are back to moaning , and so on .

Peace and quiet and no interference, by anyone, government, quango . . . even the dog.

A rice shed and a pillow, an iron lung plastered in egg boxes, hell I'll even opt for a coma and saline drip . . . anything for peace, quiet and no stress or demands, or crap people, which sadly 95% of the world are (excluding all Thai Visa member of course).

Let them have it all, take it it's yours. I just don't want to here about it anymore.

If you think rich people are happy then you have never known any rich people. Rich people go to shrinks and take pills. Rich people invent problems where there are none.

I know you won't believe me. I grew up living in a house next to Henry Ford the second. I knew all his kids. Later in life I worked for him. I taught his kids how to sail. I spent summers at his home in Canada. I met his new wife when they were on their honeymoon at the Nassau club in the Bahamas. I knew Henry and all the other auto moguls that made up the royalty of the Midwestern United States. They are all nuts. The whole Kennedy family is crazy and they are as close to American royalty as you get.

I knew the guys who owned the steel mills and company towns in Pennsylvania.

I went to expensive prep schools and Ernie and Jane both committed suicide. Jane drove into a concrete embankment doing 130 MPH in her Mercedes gull wing coupe. Ernie's dad was the sausage king. He hung himself after he graduated from Notre Dame University.

No, it is not money. I think I would be crazy if I didn't live in Thailand. I think that is why so many people jump in Pattaya. They are afraid to go home. They ran out of money. So maybe it is a little bit about money. Or maybe it is wanting what you have and having what you want.

If you think rich people are happy then you have never known any rich people. Rich people go to shrinks and take pills. Rich people invent problems where there are none.

I know you won't believe me. I grew up living in a house next to Henry Ford the second. I knew all his kids. Later in life I worked for him. I taught his kids how to sail. I spent summers at his home in Canada. I met his new wife when they were on their honeymoon at the Nassau club in the Bahamas. I knew Henry and all the other auto moguls that made up the royalty of the Midwestern United States. They are all nuts. The whole Kennedy family is crazy and they are as close to American royalty as you get.

I knew the guys who owned the steel mills and company towns in Pennsylvania.

I went to expensive prep schools and Ernie and Jane both committed suicide. Jane drove into a concrete embankment doing 130 MPH in her Mercedes gull wing coupe. Ernie's dad was the sausage king. He hung himself after he graduated from Notre Dame University.

No, it is not money. I think I would be crazy if I didn't live in Thailand. I think that is why so many people jump in Pattaya. They are afraid to go home. They ran out of money. So maybe it is a little bit about money. Or maybe it is wanting what you have and having what you want.

I know someone from the Kennedy clan and I can confirm he is completely bonkers, although in a very jolly and harmless way (at least to others, not necessarily himself).

Peace and quiet and no interference, by anyone, government, quango . . . even the dog.

A rice shed and a pillow, an iron lung plastered in egg boxes, hell I'll even opt for a coma and saline drip . . . anything for peace, quiet and no stress or demands, or crap people, which sadly 95% of the world are (excluding all Thai Visa member of course).

Let them have it all, take it it's yours. I just don't want to here about it anymore.

Amen. My friends all think I'm crazy. No shirt, no shoes, fishing, diving, living beachfront in a quiet, secluded cove accessible only by boat with cappuccino-skinned, almond eyed young ladies, or sitting in rush hour traffic every day contemplating what you're going to buy with the 15% the government let's you keep. I tell my friends: "if you call and you think I'm out of my mind, then don't bother to leave a message - I won't be back." cool.gif

Amen. My friends all think I'm crazy. No shirt, no shoes, fishing, diving, living beachfront in a quiet, secluded cove accessible only by boat with cappuccino-skinned, almond eyed young ladies, or sitting in rush hour traffic every day contemplating what you're going to buy with the 15% the government let's you keep. I tell my friends: "if you call and you think I'm out of my mind, then don't bother to leave a message - I won't be back." cool.gif

Yes, it was dam_n awful there, although I guess you're from the US. UK was no different. Here is no different.

What are the visa requirements for either the Moon or Mars?

Yes, it was dam_n awful there, although I guess you're from the US. UK was no different. Here is no different.

I have a witty answer for that but I'd likely be banned for life.

Just have to find that secluded place without a lot of farang and off the beaten path. Took some doing and it was by chance, but I found it and I'm staying.

I have a witty answer for that but I'd likely be banned for life.

Just have to find that secluded place without a lot of farang and off the beaten path. Took some doing and it was by chance, but I found it and I'm staying.

PM it to me.

Secluded? Oh I found that brother! :annoyed:

I've the big annual run to Phnom Penh coming up, which I dread, which I spend all year dreading. Thus I shall be grouchy for the next week or so.

Then all shall be well with my strange secluded little world once again.

Does it ever bother anyone not having any human rights in Thailand or basically being treated as a third class(none) citizen?

It bothers me and I think it bothers a lot of other people. There are other expat destination countries where expats have more rights, so in that sense that may be an extra thing expats give up coming specifically to Thailand. A lot of things we give up are generic to leaving our home countries to anywhere.

Does it ever bother anyone not having any human rights in Thailand or basically being treated as a third class(none) citizen?

I opened a chain of restaurants in the US.

I got divorced three times in the US.

I tried to get custody of my children in the US.

I got drafted into the Army.

Rights?

No it does not bother me.

Yeah, dying in your own home is overrated, and neighbors (instead of family) being the first to discover that is not really a big deal (you're dead, what do you care?).

You end up in a plastic bag (or in the local case: low grade hotel type sheets) either way.

:)

not paying any income tax, thus covering all expenses (and much more) required to live a very comfortable life in Thailand, makes me (that's of course my personal view) a first class² [non]citizen :lol:

p.s. in case i am in dire need of human rights... i'll buy them :whistling:

p.p.s. your mileage/kilometrage may vary B)

Human rights ? I don't know what you're talking about.

Legal rights, that's what bother me more. It has been discussed many times recently and it seems people agree that the best is to keep your main residency (and investments) in a country that is more respectful of foreigners legal right (don't need to go very far, Hong Kong or Singapore fit perfectly the bill) and come to Thailand for holidays.

Regarding the house (that you can't own) my idea is to buy a similar price place in HK or S'pore, rent it and then sign a long term agreement, maybe an usurfruct for the place I like in Thailand. Just my idea.

Yeah, dying in your own home is overrated, and neighbors (instead of family) being the first to discover that is not really a big deal (you're dead, what do you care?).

You end up in a plastic bag (or in the local case: low grade hotel type sheets) either way.

:)

Dying is nothing, it's getting old the problem.

I can answer this question, as a UK citizen I had absolutely no rights in my home country, apart from the right to pay tax.

I could be picked up and held by the police at any time, with any excuse (and was), my children could be taken away from me, my banks accounts frozen and emptied.

In Thailand the worse that happens to me is a policeman stops me for not wearing a helmet, 200bht seems to solve any and all problems.

No one bothers me here, apart from girls young enough to be my daughter trying to get me into bed.

It bothers me and I think it bothers a lot of other people. There are other expat destination countries where expats have more rights, so in that sense that may be an extra thing expats give up coming specifically to Thailand. A lot of things we give up are generic to leaving our home countries to anywhere.

Which expat destination have more rights for expats than Thailand then?

Which expat destination have more rights for expats than Thailand then?

Ecuador is a great example. Put 25,000 dollars in a bank (or other methods through real estate or pension or business) and get permanent residency, with virtual citizenship except for voting rights. Most expat destinations don't have the xenophobic land ownership policies of Thailand. Many expat destinations offer easier paths towards permanent residency and also a path for retired expats (no such path in Thailand). It would be a huge undertaking to provide a detailed comparison country by country, so do your own research, I ain't google.

Edited by Jingthing