Thai Girl Involved In Tragic Tollway Accident Says That She Is Sorry

webfact

I would just like to ask all the people here who think that we should wait until her trail to state this girl is guilty:

Exactly what do you think her defence is going to be? That she really was older than she said she was, and, oh, by the way, here is a license she forgot she had? Maybe you think those 9 people are still alive and being held somewhere and that this is all a government conspiracy to frame an innocent child?

Please do not insult my intelligence. The girl was driving without a license, and 9 people died because of it. If the car was defective, it doesn't matter because she should not have been driving it anyway. If the van driver swerved, it is irrelevant because she should not have been driving anyway. The girl is guilty. There is absolutely nothing that justifies what she did.

I don't need to wait for a trial, and it is insulting in the extreme to listen to her say "this was an accident." It does nothing but dishonor the memories of the people who died in this tragedy.

Something needs to be done when this girl who is already guilty beyond a reasonable doubt tries to say she is innocent. Go through the legal motions to stick her in jail, of course. There is a process that has to apply to everyone. But keep a muzzle on that girl. She can say sorry if she wants and truly means it. The "accident" part is infuriating. None of us are actually that stupid.

And yes, I would feel the same way no matter who it was on trial. The parents that MikeyIdea says bought a Scoopy for their 15 year old. How can anyone defend that? How can anyone tolerate it? These parents should simply have their children taken away from them, and then they should be locked up. The very act of that purchase demonstrates a disdain for society that I will never accept.

My children need to grow up here. I will do whatever is necessary to get people to start acting responsibly with motor vehicles. Sorry MikeyIdea. I will change this aspect of society, even if you find it pleasant. I would think you should too for your daughter's sake. I will continue to speak my mind and call for the immediate imprisonment of people who cause deaths while operating a motor vehicle without a license. There is no excuse for that. None. (OK, possibly if you were rushing someone to a hospital who was dying, and there were no other vehicles on the road. But if there was another vehicle, you should have stopped and asked them to help.)

Maybe, if big enough outcry is made over this crime, this behavior will stop. This is absolutely comparable to or possibly even worse than drunk driving. If we can condemn one, how can we allow the other?

Outcry and frustration will not change laws, buty it might change form of government, and perhaps not for the better... The only thing that has been shown to affect change is massive punitive damges. That is a concept foreign to this nation where "compensation" for victims and their families is whatever the compensator says it is. Punitive damages gets in the pocket of insurers, who in their own interests will push for change in driver education and law enforcement. It's a joke to think anything will change for the good of the populace, but get into some corporations pocket and then maybe there's a chance.

Yes punitive damages cause problems of their own. However, I don't see any other way to solve this issue. A pittance of cash, paying for hospital fees and a sorry doesn't match the crime. Anyone to re-open the Santika story??????????

Long term jail time as a minimum mandatory sentence and do away with all this 1'000 baht fine boll*cks. Crimes need to be backed up by serious deterrents.

I am going to blow my own trumpet here and make a very crass and objectionable comment, but it illustrates my point perfectly. I am very, very rich, i chose to live in Thailand because my wallet size makes me unafraid of the law, I do what i want when ,i want and i don't give a monkeys if i break the law or if people dislike me. If i get stopped for speeding, i give the copper some case and carry on speeding, get caught smoking weed, give the copper some cash and carry on smoking, have a crash, give the person some cash and carry on driving. The only respect i have for Thailand and its people are the ease at which i am allowed to continue my lifestyle and stick up two fingers to the law.

This is all true.

The only thing that would make me stop is jail time.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The girls internet alias is so ununual that any discussion if we talk about the same person is a waste of time... And account was created several months before the tragic accident.. And she opened up a new thread only a couple of days from her 16th birthday. What was the topic she choose?

ไปรับรถมาเมื่อวานค่ะเห่อมาก - Bai rap rot ma mowan ka, hoe maak - Went to fetch (the - my) car yesterday ka, very happy (proud)

You don't specify whose car it is when you write like this in Thai so she doesn't write if it is her car or someone elses car but I would not have opened up a thread on the Honda City club website because I had fetched someone elses car if I had been 16 years old...

Interesting... That's the first I've seen of anything relating to that...

So your/the implication is the "friend" deal is a coverup?

It will be extremely interesting to see the legal judgement. It isn't as though Thailand hasn't had its fair share of accusations that the courts apparently have a two stream service depending on who you are. Let's see if this case marks just a small step in removing this accusation.

Unfortunately, the early goings aren't pointing to a particularly promising outcome, especially given that the girl was sent home after her interview with police... not even required to post any bail, apparently.

I'm not in the "hang her high" crowd, to whatever extent there is one. I just want to see real justice, just justice to be done under Thai law, based on the true facts of what occurred.

Clearly, she didn't set out that day intending to kill people, like might occur where someone shoots someone during a robbery or does a hit. But it certainly seems there are plenty of lesser elements involved sufficient for what in the West would be called manslaughter....

I am going to blow my own trumpet here and make a very crass and objectionable comment, but it illustrates my point perfectly. I am very, very rich, i chose to live in Thailand because my wallet size makes me unafraid of the law, I do what i want when ,i want and i don't give a monkeys if i break the law or if people dislike me. If i get stopped for speeding, i give the copper some case and carry on speeding, get caught smoking weed, give the copper some cash and carry on smoking, have a crash, give the person some cash and carry on driving. The only respect i have for Thailand and its people are the ease at which i am allowed to continue my lifestyle and stick up two fingers to the law.

This is all true.

The only thing that would make me stop is jail time.

Well, that pretty well sums it up... Welcome to Thailand!!!

Anyone in authority here ever turn down the cash and actually enforce the law for real with you?

It will be extremely interesting to see the legal judgement. It isn't as though Thailand hasn't had its fair share of accusations that the courts apparently have a two stream service depending on who you are. Let's see if this case marks just a small step in removing this accusation.

Unfortunately, the early goings aren't pointing to a particularly promising outcome, especially given that the girl was sent home after her interview with police... not even required to post any bail, apparently.

I'm not in the "hang her high" crowd, to whatever extent there is one. I just want to see real justice, just justice to be done under Thai law, based on the true facts of what occurred.

Clearly, she didn't set out that day intending to kill people, like might occur where someone shoots someone during a robbery or does a hit. But it certainly seems there are plenty of lesser elements involved sufficient for what in the West would be called manslaughter....

I fear so too. Unfortunately, the more and more times that the system is open to accusation of being two tiered, the larger the divisions in the country become. People are concerned that the country is "divided". Well, the country can't very well become united if the system perpetuates the apparent reality that it treats different people differently.

Let's wait and see

Edited by Thai at Heart

The girls internet alias is so ununual that any discussion if we talk about the same person is a waste of time... And account was created several months before the tragic accident.. And she opened up a new thread only a couple of days from her 16th birthday. What was the topic she choose?

ไปรับรถมาเมื่อวานค่ะเห่อมาก - Bai rap rot ma mowan ka, hoe maak - Went to fetch (the - my) car yesterday ka, very happy (proud)

You don't specify whose car it is when you write like this in Thai so she doesn't write if it is her car or someone elses car but I would not have opened up a thread on the Honda City club website because I had fetched someone elses car if I had been 16 years old...

If she is indeed the owner of the Honda, can the car be registered under her name or her parents since she is a minor?

By the way, anyone have any real, direct experience with how much a taken life is worth in Thailand these days???

I remember a case a couple years ago in Hua Hin where a youngster waiting on the side of the road was hit and killed by a drunken Thai driver. My GF at the time who was familiar with the case said the victim's family received 5,000 baht from the driver.

Obviously, I'd think, the price depends on the status/income of the responsible party.... But I think you'll find, life can be taken and paid off for a shockingly cheap price here....

No, the car she opened up a thread about was not the car she had an accident in.

I think that her parents were extremely lucky that she had an accident in another borrowed car and not the one in the Honda City club thread. We can't say if it was the imagination of a soon 16 year old running away, or a misunderstanding the parents intentions or whatever. But I find it hard to believe that the thread she opened up is just a bunch of sad coincidences

By the way, anyone have any real, direct experience with how much a taken life is worth in Thailand these days???

I remember a case a couple years ago in Hua Hin where a youngster waiting on the side of the road was hit and killed by a drunken Thai driver. My GF at the time who was familiar with the case said the victim's family received 5,000 baht from the driver.

Obviously, I'd think, the price depends on the status/income of the responsible party.... But I think you'll find, life can be taken and paid off for a shockingly cheap price here....

A friend of mine's step son was killed by a guy driving recklessly. Admittedly, he did have a lot of good contacts in the police to make sure that the case got investigated properly and he kept pushing and pushing. He wasn't interested or in need of monetary compensation, but his wife's family pushed hard for it.

The culprit was driving a company car, so compensation was 600k paid by the company, but the driver got put away for 18 months.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Was the driver Thai or farang?

And he didn't have to pay any compensation himself directly at all? Just the company?

Somehow, it feels a bit different when I translate than to $20,000 U.S. for killing the person.

Edited by jfchandler

If she is indeed the owner of the Honda, can the car be registered under her name or her parents since she is a minor?

She didn't have the accident in the Honda City, the accident she had in another borrowed car

I am sure that the car is NOT registered in her name, Thais do not pay attention to and do not consider formal ownership as important in deciding ownership actually

I see no reason why cars cannot be owned by minors, minors can own land, why not cars. You cannot give debt to minors though so the car would have to be fully paid. Not important, I am sure the car is in someone elses name

Edited by MikeyIdea

And he didn't have to pay any compensation himself directly at all? Just the company?

Somehow, it feels a bit different when I translate than to $20,000 U.S. for killing the person.

Thai driver. Kid was 18 on a bike with helmet.

As I said, my friend was not interested at all in the monetary compensation, but it was something that was important to his wife. Company paid the compensation, which as far as I know is extremely common here. It took a lot of effort to get the case to court, and he was quite surprised at the fact that the guy got 18 months. The company tried their level best to keep the case out of court, but he was speeding and was on the wrong side of the road, and the police supported getting the case to court. Without the company being involved, I would have expected the monetary element of repayment to be much lower.

You lot are a sad bunch. You all cry for justice, but are ready to pass your own judgement on this girl before she has been properly convicted.

And before you all get on your high horses about me defending her, I'm not..I'm quite happy for a court to decide whether she is guilty or not after reviewing all the facts and evidence (and not from reading newspaper reports like the wannabe judges on this forum)

Listen to yourselves almost baying for blood.. "lock her up, throw away the key" you say.. thank god you are not part of the legal system in any country.

This whole thing is a tradgedy.. for all involved.

totster :ph34r:

:thumbsup::clap2: :clap2:

Ditto.

Depends on if what he was charged with falls under civil or criminal law. Which also is up to the person suing. The word tangjai tamm for instance (deliberately do) indicate that civil law should be invoked, jetana tamm (deliberately do with criminal intent sort of) indicate that Criminal law should be used. There can be compensation paid to victims in civil cases but normally not in criminal cases actually.

In the case about the girl driver, the police opened up criminal charges, note that compensation to the victims are not included in that. The police are negotiating that separately. If parties can agree, then good, if not, then the victims can open up civil cases

I know of incident a couple of months ago, a guy shot an killed another guy(both Thai), the shooter spent a few days in jail while the family gathered some money, they paid 400K, the other family accepted the deal, and the guy walked. Anyway, these things don't just happen in Thailand, it happens a lot places.

I think the only reason this incident attracts so much attention here is that it was 9 people that killed not 1 or 2.

I think that due process should be carried out, and punishment dispensed when the facts are known. For now some people are just making stupid comments based on gossip and second hand information.

I know of incident a couple of months ago, a guy shot an killed another guy(both Thai), the shooter spent a few days in jail while the family gathered some money, they paid 400K, the other family accepted the deal, and the guy walked. Anyway, these things don't just happen in Thailand, it happens a lot places.

I think the only reason this incident attracts so much attention here is that it was 9 people that killed not 1 or 2.

I think that due process should be carried out, and punishment dispensed when the facts are known. For now, some seem to be forming their opinions on gossip and second hand information.

Edited by beechguy

MI, I'm confused a bit about the legal system here (needless to say... ;))

In the west, only the police and government prosecutors can press a criminal case, meaning file criminal charges in court.

In the west, anyone can file a civil lawsuit, whether individual, company or government agency.

But here in Thailand, can private parties file a criminal case without the action of police or the public prosecutor???

I always remember reading about the various politicians seeking/filing criminal charges of slander or lese majeste or whatever against their foes...

But it's never been clear to me, can private parties actually initiate criminal charges entirely on their own.... or does it have to be the police/prosecutor to initiate it?

Certainly does. Which century does this guy think he is in not releasing details to the media. How on earth are we suppose to pass judgement on this case and pontificate wisely if we aren't given the facts.

"pontificate wisely" - good one! :D

Thai driver. Kid was 18 on a bike with helmet.

As I said, my friend was not interested at all in the monetary compensation, but it was something that was important to his wife. Company paid the compensation, which as far as I know is extremely common here. It took a lot of effort to get the case to court, and he was quite surprised at the fact that the guy got 18 months. The company tried their level best to keep the case out of court, but he was speeding and was on the wrong side of the road, and the police supported getting the case to court. Without the company being involved, I would have expected the monetary element of repayment to be much lower.

They really need to coin another word rather than "compensation".. There is no figure which compensates for the loss of one's child. Not my child anyway.

I read with utter sadness the profile of one of those people who lost their lives. 27 yo man. Against all odds he rose above a young life of relative impoverishment to attain a Phd degree. He was the pride of his family and everyone who'd ever shaped his development. He took care of his aging mother, he paid his brothers school fees, he tutored his nephew. He was earning 48k Baht per month and looked forward to working overseas where he'd likely earn multiples of his salary here. In short he did everything right and against the greatest of odds. Now his affection, support and guidance is lost to all who knew him. How do you compensate for that? well, you can't. I have no doubt the other victims will create just as massive a hole in the lives of those who knew them.

What is interesting about this case to me, apart from it's heartbreaking nature, is the stated intention of Thammasat University to be amongst the plaintiffs. In accordance with Thai law and Thai social mores, all of the other victims could be "pieced off" to some degree or other and they would have to settle for that in accordance with Thai culture. Thammasat uniquely has the opportunity to start a real social dialogue about what has occured here and frame it in a way that has far greaqter meaning for Thai law, culture and society. i really hope they don't let this opportunity pass.

Edited by lannarebirth

So the police were willing to abandon any criminal case so long as the other family accepted $ compensation? Interesting approach to justice.

Edited by jfchandler

Amnuay said settlement between the girl's family and relatives of those killed and injured would likely be reached in the future.

That's what I said before ... Money will resolve everything and charges will be dropped ... Want to bet ? :bah:

But that is the Thai way and this is Thailand.

Put the shoe on the other foot; you are a driver and you have an unfortunate accident that results in the death of several people. Now, if you had the Thai option, would you WANT to spend several years in jail and feel very sorry for yourself or would you FEEL better if you paid compensation that the victims families are HAPPY to accept and then went home?

As a foreigner who accepts the laws and culture of my chosen domicile, I know which I would prefer.

Amnuay said settlement between the girl's family and relatives of those killed and injured would likely be reached in the future.

That's what I said before ... Money will resolve everything and charges will be dropped ... Want to bet ? :bah:

Put the shoe on the other foot; you are a driver and you have an unfortunate accident that results in the death of several people. Now, if you had the Thai option, would you WANT to spend several years in jail and feel very sorry for yourself or would you FEEL better if you paid compensation that the victims families are HAPPY to accept and then went home?

As a foreigner who accepts the laws and culture of my chosen domicile, I know which I would prefer.

If every case had to go through the courts, there would be backlogs for years.

This way it's all over and settled very quickly.

MI, I'm confused a bit about the legal system here (needless to say... ;))

In the west, only the police and government prosecutors can press a criminal case, meaning file criminal charges in court.

In the west, anyone can file a civil lawsuit, whether individual, company or government agency.

But here in Thailand, can private parties file a criminal case without the action of police or the public prosecutor???

I always remember reading about the various politicians seeking/filing criminal charges of slander or lese majeste or whatever against their foes...

But it's never been clear to me, can private parties actually initiate criminal charges entirely on their own.... or does it have to be the police/prosecutor to initiate it?

I am not 100% sure but I don't think that private persons can force criminal case without the action of the police or public procecutor. That is why I used the word - indicate -. It is up to the person suing in that if he use the word tangjai, then he wants (and will get) a civil law suit. The police aren't in a position to refuse actually. The district atterney can still throw the case out though.

If the person suing uses the word jetana, then he indicate that he wants this to be handled under criminal law. I do not know what happens if private person wants criminal law and police see no need for it. I guess that if the person is influential, then the district atterney will decide. If he sees no need for it either, then he throws it out and the person will have to sue again, using tangjai this time

This tragic case is indicative of the morality of Thai society. Consider, this girl has had the bennefits of a superior education, gained worldly experience from overseas travel and life abroad. Adheres to the rule regulations and laws of that country. She is said to hold a Californian drivers licence, therefore should have successfully completed a theoretical and practical drivers education classes. Presumably, had experience driving in congested LA street and motorways. Then when she return to Bangkok, become as irresonsable as Thai society allows. She flaunts the law, drives illegally and in a reckless manner which results in the death of 9 people, for which she appears to show little remorse.

I understand the notion and approach being discussed below..the Thai way...

But unfortunately, what that approach misses and neglects is justice for society,,,, not just payment to the victims. It's through the criminal process and punishments resulting from it that the society involved obtains justice, and the result serves as a known deterrent to others from engaging in the same kind of conduct, not to mention a more direct punishment to the culpable party than just shelling out some cash.

Or to use a more concrete example, if the owners/operators of Santika found themselves jailed for the deaths and injuries that occurred there two years ago, do you think other club operators these days might take fire and safety issues a bit more seriously?

It seems to me that Thailand could use a whole lot more deterrent and enforcement in quite a few areas....that is.. if anyone cares about trying to live in a reasonably safe and orderly society.

If every case had to go through the courts, there would be backlogs for years.

This way it's all over and settled very quickly.

Edited by jfchandler

No one said lock her up and throw away the key. I suggested that she be denied bail as anyone else should be, or would be for the manslaughter of 9 people. I understand that this is Thailand, but should we have to make excuses.

Umm.. yes they did.

Put the teenage girl, her parents and the owner of the car behind bars and throw away the keys

Admirable sentiments with which one would agree.The problem is not however the people baying for blood for they are obviously wrong.

The general issue is whether the rich and privileged should continue to evade justice in Thailand.In this particular case we must await the outcome though all sadly the signs are that the traditional patterns will apply.

It is also interesting why this case has raised so much heat among ordinary Thais at this particular time.

So your comment about those who bay for blood is well made, but the truth is you have also missed the main point as the dead victims families would tell you.

I really did not miss the point. I am quite aware of the way the legal system works for anyone who can show bit of money. This goes on everyday as any of you that have passed a policeman bt200 instead of getting the written up fine will know. :ph34r:

It is also good to note that if this does go the way everyone seems to think it is, then if those families of the dead victims get proper compensation they may feel that justice has been done for them. Surely a nice wedge in the bank is going to help these less than well off people in the long run, putting someone behind bars does nothing... they will still hve the same grief.

So, if the families are happy with the outcome then justice will have been served.. maybe not in the way that you or

I would like it.. but no one gives a shit what we think. This is the way it happens in Thailand.

Totster :D

Police Maj-General Amnuay Nimmano, who is supervising the case, in response to questions about the girl's plea, said: "I ask for your permission to not go into details about that. She has acknowledged two offences and given information useful to the investigation."<BR sab="376"><BR sab="377">

Says it all doesn't it.

Certainly does. Which century does this guy think he is in not releasing details to the media. How on earth are we suppose to pass judgement on this case and pontificate wisely if we aren't given the facts.

Then again, who do we think we are 'to pass judgement' anyway?

Pontification is SOP for this type of bitch & moan session debate and thus permitted.

So the police were willing to abandon any criminal case so long as the other family accepted $ compensation? Interesting approach to justice.

I was told the police acted more or less as negotiators between the parties involved, and that was it, finished.

Anyway, good posts above and below by both NanLaew and Totster. This is the way things are in a number of regions in the world, it's not just Thailand.

Edited by beechguy

You lot are a sad bunch. You all cry for justice, but are ready to pass your own judgement on this girl before she has been properly convicted.

And before you all get on your high horses about me defending her, I'm not..I'm quite happy for a court to decide whether she is guilty or not after reviewing all the facts and evidence (and not from reading newspaper reports like the wannabe judges on this forum)

Listen to yourselves almost baying for blood.. "lock her up, throw away the key" you say.. thank god you are not part of the legal system in any country.

This whole thing is a tradgedy.. for all involved.

totster :ph34r:

dam_n skippy I am. Rich or poor doesn't matter. This isn't about "baying for blood". This is about an utterly insensitive and inappropriate statement that the deaths of 9 people was an "accident". This is about someone trying to evade responsibility.

It would have been more appropriate to say nothing. You seriously think we should sit around and say nothing when this girl tries to defend her actions in the press? If she is allowed to present her case with no evidence and before the trial, why are the rest of us not allowed to have an opinion?

You are a sad person for making an apology for her.

Her statement that it was an "accident" was quite simply wrong and inappropriate. You should be chastising her for making it, not chastising all of us for reacting to it.

I certainly hope justice is forthcoming. But when I see her evading responsibility already at this early date, I have very little hope of that happening.

Well, there was going to be at least one.

I made it quite clear I was not defending her. I was more commenting on the pathetic posts by the likes of you and others. You must be very proud of yourself attacking a 16 year old girl on the internet with no real knowledge of the facts.

Also, can you tell me how many deaths it takes for an accident to not be an accident ?

Thanks

Totster :D