EU's Ashton urges Israel and Palestine to return to negotiations

News_Editor

EU's Ashton urges Israel and Palestine to return to negotiations

2011-01-06 22:47:25 GMT+7 (ICT)

GAZA (BNO NEWS) -- The European Union High Representative Catherine Ashton on Thursday urged Palestine to return to negotiations during her visit to the Middle East.

Ashton visited both Palestinian and Israeli leaders during her two-day visit which ended on Thursday. The EU representative discussed latest developments and ways to move beyond the current impasse.

"I am pleased to begin the New Year with a visit to the Middle East. My trip to the region so early in the year is an expression of my personal commitment and that of the European Union and its 27 Member States to peace in the Middle East," said Ashton.

She met with Prime Minister Netanyahu, Foreign Minister Liberman, Defense Minister Barak and Kadima party leader Tzipi Livni on Wednesday. This was Ashton's first official visit to the Middle East.

Then she met with Palestine Authority President Abbas and Prime Minister Fayyad in the Occupied Palestinian Territory (OPT) on Thursday. Ashton also visited Bethlehem, including the Aida Camp and the Church of the Nativity.

"I have urged both Israelis and Palestinians to find a satisfactory way to engage without delay in substantive negotiations on all final status issues. There is no alternative to a negotiated solution," Ashton added.

According to the EU High Representative, urgent progress is needed towards a two state solution that would allow Israel and Palestine living side by side in peace and security. The EU is committed to aid reaching that solution.

"I propose the Quartet meet as soon as possible to help find a solution to the current impasse. The Munich Security Conference in early February offers a good opportunity," Ashton declared.

The EU leader also expressed her concern on the Gaza situation. Ashton called for opening the crossing in order to allow the flow of humanitarian aid, imports, exports and people.

The EU, through many of its leaders, have discussed with both Israelis and Palestinians a EU's comprehensive package of support, which includes improvements to the crossings infrastructure, equipment and training for the Palestinian Authority (PA) border and crossings personnel.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-01-06