Cbr 250 Vs Ninja 250

johnboy3739w

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review and says what I've been trying to say all along

Engines revving, clutches slipping, tires not spinning, we launched them three times to confirm our findings. The lowered geared Honda leapt ahead on each run

Well done. :D

Of course, you're only quoting half the sentence...

"The lowered geared Honda leapt ahead on each run, keeping a wheel in front through the first three gears before the Ninja motored past. "

Well Done! KawasakiSmiley2.jpg

This was a good review, but the the link to the original review seems to have gone dead.

Another comparison, this one gives it to the 'Micro-Ninja' :(

http://www.sportride...test/index.html

Another one where all three reviewers choose the Ninjette over the CB'r' :lol:

Quotes from the reviews-

April Trestick

"So which of the remaining 250s do I pick? Tough question, both bikes were great and my favorite was the one I was riding at the time. But while the Honda CBR was fun to ride and looks amazing like a baby VFR I have to pick the Kawasaki (no slouch in the looks department either). The Ninja’s stronger engine and slightly lower seat height just make it a better all-around pick for me. Not to mention it’s been around longer and has more aftermarket support. "

Bradley Adams

"At the end of the day, my money would most likely be spent on the Kawasaki. This isn’t to say that the Honda is a bad bike; in fact, the opposite is true. The Honda is lightweight, nimble and offers plenty of torque for around-town commutes, making it almost definitely the better choice for new riders. But the Kawasaki just feels more performance oriented in terms of the engine and suspension characteristics."

Kent Kunitsugu

"The new CBR250R has all the right attributes for a beginner bike, and it’s packed with surprisingly good performance and trick technology. The problem in my mind is that it only has just enough performance that can quickly and easily be outgrown. The Kawasaki Ninja 250R, on the other hand, has enough performance to keep its owner occupied for much longer."

Let the Good Times ROLL!

I really cannot see the point in spending 150k thb on a weak, stock 250 when 2 yr old kawa650s are available for around the same price.

A Ninja is under 150k. Where are er6's available for under 150k? Ever. Please show me, I would buy it tomorrow. This is just yet more BS :whistling:

I thought the 147500 price tag didn't include rego, tax or insurance, which presumably brings it within a whisker. (tax and insurance 1000thb and rego 1500thb?).

As for used 650s, Tony linked to one being sold for 145,000thb.

Your constant need to attack me is telling. Not happy at having spent more money on a lesser product perhaps.

Pretty sure they threw in rego when I bought mine for 137,000 (ish) baht. Also threw in the rear cowling worth around 5-6k.

Let's be serious, if I wanted a CBR250 then I'd buy one. The plethora of "nearly new" CBR's on the various classifieds are really good value. Unfortunately, I find it to be an incredibly ugly motorcycle and I prefer my bikes to have more sporty engine characteristics, rather than that of a diesel van. That's not to say it's a bad bike, it's just not for me.

Another WIN for the Ninjette: http://www.throttlequest.com/2010/12/2011-honda-cbr-250r-vs-201011-kawasaki.html

"it's very evident that the Kawasaki Ninja 250R is the more radical of the two and is more performance oriented. The Honda CBR 250R is more on the relaxed touring side and is actually a deflection from it's CBR tag genome."

I really cannot see the point in spending 150k thb on a weak, stock 250 when 2 yr old kawa650s are available for around the same price.

A Ninja is under 150k. Where are er6's available for under 150k? Ever. Please show me, I would buy it tomorrow. This is just yet more BS :whistling:

I thought the 147500 price tag didn't include rego, tax or insurance, which presumably brings it within a whisker. (tax and insurance 1000thb and rego 1500thb?).

Your constant need to attack me is telling. Not happy at having spent more money on a lesser product perhaps.

Does he even own a 250 or just ride a CBR 150R?

Motorcycle-USA picks the Ninjette over the CB'r' too :)

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/156/9136/Motorcycle-Article/2011-Kawasaki-Ninja-250R-Comparison.aspx

"the speed and handling abilities of the Kawasaki are impossible to overlook. By virtue of a 3-1 decision among testers, we have to give the Kawasaki the nod as shootout winner; surprising considering how much older the basic technology is. But Kawasaki has had over two decades to get it dialed in, and when it comes to the lightweight sportbike market, it’s done its homework. "

Who are you talking about Dave? I believe Johnny's got a Ninjette and a Gixxer.

What's so amazing? You're welcome to go back through this thread to find numerous reviews that conclude that the Ninjette is still the better 250. FWIW I don't "hate" the CB'r' 250, I just think it's funny that there are some noobs who still think it's a Ninjette killer. :rolleyes:

And so what if Honda sells more CB'r' than Kawasaki sells Ninjettes in Thailand? Does that mean the CB'r' is a better bike? Weird logic bro...

Amazing that you want others to take your word on it or go back through pages and pages of posts to prove you wrong.

My challenge still stands; find more than 4 reviews from professionals that award the nod to the Ninja.

And yes, if people realise the better value and wider performance of the CBR than I suppose that would, by their definition (which they voted through their wallets) make it the better bike.

Weird logic to not address any of the salient points in my rebuttal but rather repeat your mantra...along with the rather childish "r"...after all didn't Kawasaki drop the "R" from the Ninja's name?

There ya go Dave, 5 reviews that choose the Ninjette over the CB'r'. Again, not saying there's anything wrong with the new Honda thumper. If you're a newb on a tight budget and fuel economy is your paramount concern then it's the bike for you!!! :lol:

Who are you talking about Dave? I believe Johnny's got a Ninjette and a Gixxer.

Got Johnny and KRS1 mixed up.

Apologies Johnny!

There ya go Dave, 5 reviews that choose the Ninjette over the CB'r'. Again, not saying there's anything wrong with the new Honda thumper. If you're a newb on a tight budget and fuel economy is your paramount concern then it's the bike for you!!! :lol:

First, here's the link for your "Engines revving, clutches slipping, tires not spinning, we launched them three times to confirm our findings" review.

Notice the bottom line "Trying to draw a conclusion here reminds me of modern-day soccer leagues for the young ’uns—no losers, only winners. Both machines get gold stars for a super mix of economy, utility and fun, but dang if I can pick a favorite. What gives me pause with the Ninja is its wide ratio transmission, its higher rpm powerband and the always revving, always shifting way it wants to be ridden. Tootling around town it’s spinning six or seven grand. The Honda is easier to ride, fun to ride everywhere and a better town bike. Just when I’m convinced it’s my top choice, by a margin no wider than the little nubs on its new tires, I take the Ninja out for a few corners."

So a wash. Ninja definitely wasn't picked and neither was the CBR.

Motorcycle USA did award the nod to the Ninja, but with as much Kawasaki bias as is evident on their page is anyone surprised?

The Popular Mechanics (professional reviewers hunh?) gave no finding.

Did you even read the "Throttle" review? The guy (?) who wrote it simply ran with the manufacturer's numbers and made a guess...no real world nuthing involved!

So that's an actual two head to head. The obvious Ninja-longing showing through on the one that awards the win to the Ninja and a wash on the second....

And now for the actual, professional reviewer's head to head that have the thumbs up to the CBR:

Because this head to head (with a Thai CBR and a Thai Ninja) had the CBR within 3.5% of the Ninja's race time. And that was with a mal-adjusted (if the front is pogo-ing after adjustment, reduce rear pre-load) suspension and the Ninja ridden right past its edge.

And there's Cycle World's head to head that has the CBR going faster through the mountains. The exact quote is thus: Well, we already knew what a cornering fool the little Ninja is. But we were a little surprised at how well the innocent-looking new Honda was able to keep up. Not only does it keep up with the Ninja, it actually ekes away from it corner by corner.

I mis-spoke earlier; it was Motorcycist that ended up with the two chicks picking the Ninja and the road racer choosing the CBR. Guess if the CBR is the n00b bike that this result would be inline with the 1/3 of Ninja buyers being women make it a girl's bike?

Let's not forget that Japanese link that had the 0-XXX meters times of the two fuel injected bikes. Think that 0-400 (1/4 mile, no?) is about the time it takes the Ninja to reach 100 km/h (60 mph). And the CBR beats it there.

There's the Motorcycle News comparo that had the CBR coming out ahead in 60% of their metrics. I understand you would like this thrown out since it was a pre-owned Ninja that had a slip-on and may have not been running 100%, but at the same time, how broken in (or broken up from other tests) was the CBR?

First, here's the link for your "Engines revving, clutches slipping, tires not spinning, we launched them three times to confirm our findings" review.

Notice the bottom line "Trying to draw a conclusion here reminds me of modern-day soccer leagues for the young 'uns—no losers, only winners. Both machines get gold stars for a super mix of economy, utility and fun, but dang if I can pick a favorite. What gives me pause with the Ninja is its wide ratio transmission, its higher rpm powerband and the always revving, always shifting way it wants to be ridden. Tootling around town it's spinning six or seven grand. The Honda is easier to ride, fun to ride everywhere and a better town bike. Just when I'm convinced it's my top choice, by a margin no wider than the little nubs on its new tires, I take the Ninja out for a few corners."

Motorcycle USA did award the nod to the Ninja, but with as much Kawasaki bias as is evident on their page is anyone surprised?

Did you even read the "Throttle" review? The guy (?) who wrote it simply ran with the manufacturer's numbers and made a guess...no real world nuthing involved!

So that's an actual two head to head. The obvious Ninja-longing showing through on the one that awards the win to the Ninja and a wash on the second....

And now for the actual, professional reviewer's head to head that have the thumbs up to the CBR:

Because this head to head (with a Thai CBR and a Thai Ninja) had the CBR within 3.5% of the Ninja's race time. And that was with a mal-adjusted (if the front is pogo-ing after adjustment, reduce rear pre-load) suspension and the Ninja ridden right past its edge.

Um Dave, no offense to ttakata, but how on earth does his report qualify as a "professional review"?! Anyway, he clearly gave the win to the Ninjette so I'm not sure why you even want to reference his report since it confirms the crappy handling of your beloved CB'r'...

And there's Cycle World's head to head that has the CBR going faster through the mountains. The exact quote is thus: Well, we already knew what a cornering fool the little Ninja is. But we were a little surprised at how well the innocent-looking new Honda was able to keep up. Not only does it keep up with the Ninja, it actually ekes away from it corner by corner.

Ah, the one review that gives a nod to the CB'r'. But that quote doesn't make much sense- how can the CB'r' with less power pull away from the Ninjette? Rider skill would be my guess? Or maybe the Ninjette rider weighed as much as Dave? ;)

I mis-spoke earlier; it was Motorcycist that ended up with the two chicks picking the Ninja and the road racer choosing the CBR. Guess if the CBR is the n00b bike that this result would be inline with the 1/3 of Ninja buyers being women make it a girl's bike?

In the west 250's are as a general rule chick bikes or beginner bikes. Not sure what point you are trying to make, but every review I've read says the CB'r' is the more noob friendly of the two. Here in Thailand 250 used to be considered a "big bike" but now that Teem Green offers their cheap 650cc twins I'm not sure 250's are still considered "big" in Thailand.

Let's not forget that Japanese link that had the 0-XXX meters times of the two fuel injected bikes. Think that 0-400 (1/4 mile, no?) is about the time it takes the Ninja to reach 100 km/h (60 mph). And the CBR beats it there.

Strange how no other head to head has been able to duplicate the Japanese results... Jap Ninjette restricted perhaps?

There's the Motorcycle News comparo that had the CBR coming out ahead in 60% of their metrics. I understand you would like this thrown out since it was a pre-owned Ninja that had a slip-on and may have not been running 100%, but at the same time, how broken in (or broken up from other tests) was the CBR?

Yep, I agree that a comparison of a modified Ninjette vs a stock CB'r' is pretty worthless. What I would like to see is what mods it would take for a CB'r' to keep up with a stock Ninjette :)

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Tony,

I've been told that tignotes shop can upgrade the CBR to moto3 standard for only 40,000baht, sounds a little low to me and maybe it's a special price for a friend but still interesting.

The moto3 bikes are running about 33hp

Edited by newf

Tony,

I've been told that tignotes shop can upgrade the CBR to moto3 standard for only 40,000baht, sounds a little low to me and maybe it's a special price for a friend but still interesting.

Do you know what they do?

The exact quote is thus: Well, we already knew what a cornering fool the little Ninja is. But we were a little surprised at how well the innocent-looking new Honda was able to keep up. Not only does it keep up with the Ninja, it actually ekes away from it corner by corner.

Love that first line. :D

Goes along with the reports from track racers I've read, CBR250R is better, quicker and more fun through the bends.

What I would like to see is what mods it would take for a CB'r' to keep up with a stock Ninjette :)

Well, due to being quicker off the line and quicker through the corners, by the end of the first corner the CBR is likely to be in the lead... so perhaps you mean it the other way round. :D

It's probably recommended for ninjette owners to get a new pair of tyres and lose some of that porkiness with a new pipe if you want to keep up with the CBR250R while going through those fun twisties.

Edited by hehehoho

Got Johnny and KRS1 mixed up.

Apologies Johnny!

Actually Dave i did the wise thing and rented a CBR 250 to see how it rode. After that i knew it was a waste of money, just like everyone else that has one up for sale after only 3 months.

Pots calling kettles black, i dont believe you have one either.

Doesn't Dave own a N250, that his wife bought him a present?

So seems he's well entitled to be involved in these ninjette/CBR250R discussions.

If you don't like what he reports, and hats off for him being man enough to talk the truth, then that's pretty much tough, deal with it.

Edited by hehehoho

Notice the bottom line "Trying to draw a conclusion here reminds me of modern-day soccer leagues for the young 'uns—no losers, only winners. Both machines get gold stars for a super mix of economy, utility and fun, but dang if I can pick a favorite. What gives me pause with the Ninja is its wide ratio transmission, its higher rpm powerband and the always revving, always shifting way it wants to be ridden. Tootling around town it's spinning six or seven grand. The Honda is easier to ride, fun to ride everywhere and a better town bike. Just when I'm convinced it's my top choice, by a margin no wider than the little nubs on its new tires, I take the Ninja out for a few corners."

Um Dave, no offense to ttakata, but how on earth does his report qualify as a "professional review"?! Anyway, he clearly gave the win to the Ninjette so I'm not sure why you even want to reference his report since it confirms the crappy handling of your beloved CB'r'...

Ah, the one review that gives a nod to the CB'r'. But that quote doesn't make much sense- how can the CB'r' with less power pull away from the Ninjette? Rider skill would be my guess? Or maybe the Ninjette rider weighed as much as Dave? ;)

In the west 250's are as a general rule chick bikes or beginner bikes. Not sure what point you are trying to make, but every review I've read says the CB'r' is the more noob friendly of the two. Here in Thailand 250 used to be considered a "big bike" but now that Teem Green offers their cheap 650cc twins I'm not sure 250's are still considered "big" in Thailand.

Strange how no other head to head has been able to duplicate the Japanese results... Jap Ninjette restricted perhaps?

Yep, I agree that a comparison of a modified Ninjette vs a stock CB'r' is pretty worthless. What I would like to see is what mods it would take for a CB'r' to keep up with a stock Ninjette :)

I agree that ttaka's review is a bit moot (and says more about his? ability to tune suspension than the bike's actual suspension); but interesting in that it was used to bolster the Ninja fan's expectations. Even though the Ninja had plenty of mods, and the CBR was mal-adjusted it was extremely close. I kinda see that a win for the 'touring bike' as it was able to keep with the 'sports bike' after having so much against it.

If you read the actual Cycle World article, you would know that the bikes were tested by a world class rider (who was on both bikes). You realise that they were specifically talking about riding in the mountains and the cornering abilities of the bikes, right? Since those components are the same on all models, we can safely apply that wisdom to the Thai models.

The tongue in cheek 'chick bike' comment was me stooping down to other's level. Even ignoring that, it still doesn't explain how the racer chose the CBR and the non-racer girlies chose the Ninja.

All other reviews you keep referring to are with THE LOWER GEARED, MORE POWERFUL US MODEL. Is it really that hard to wrap your noggin around? You realise the Jap version is exactly same-same as sold in LOS, right?

I find it amusing that you want to know how much mods a CBR would need to keep up with a stock Thai model when all indications are that a stock Thai model Ninja has a hard enough time (see the Seacon Square drag race youtube videos, the rode until crashed modified Ninja barely keeping ahead of a mal-adjusted stock CBR, the modified English Ninja edging out a stock CBR) making a showing for itself....but stick with the "US models can kinda win (and when the reviewer has a hard-on for them definitely take the cake) even though the Thai models are different!".

So seems he's well entitled to be involved in these ninjette/CBR250R discussions.

If you don't like what he reports, and hats off for him being man enough to talk the truth, then that's pretty much tough, deal with it.

Spot on; although to be honest I think she got it so I'd ride it more than her!:whistling:

But I assume he's going to try and twist it that I don't own BOTH!

Although is there anyone on the forum (I think there is, isn't there?) who does?

Spot on; although to be honest I think she got it so I'd ride it more than her!:whistling:

Although is there anyone on the forum (I think there is, isn't there?) who does?

I know you own(ed) a Ninja 250 . But don't think you have ever even ridden a CBR 250 ...

So have you ever ridden a CBR 250 Dave? and aren't you still out of the country?

I've ridden both...it would seem that someone would have to atleast ride both bikes to have an honest opinion about both.

There's someone on this forum that owns 3 bikes: old cbr 150, cbr 250 and ninja 250.

His comments are interesting, im not going to call him out though, maybe you can find it.

Edited by KRS1

Tony,

Do you know what they do?

Rig the dyno?

There is someone who owns both and I'm pretty sure he prefers the Ninja but my I'm not one for searching for posts to prove a point so I may be wrong and will accept if I am. :jap:

But Dave, by your own admission you're a newb rider right? And the Ninja needs it's neck wrung which isn't the most natural thing for a beginner to do. The CBR is probably right up your street, and despite some of my tongue in cheek comments I do mean that in a non condescending way. New rider, self confessed Honda whore who overcooked a corner on the Ninja and ended up in the bushes while learning to ride a 250 - the fact you think you'd prefer the CBR without riding it isn't a massive surprise.

Did you replace the stock tyres on the Ninja yet?

Horses for courses, maybe the CBR is the better bike for you, why not just buy one?

There is someone who owns both and I'm pretty sure he prefers the Ninja but my I'm not one for searching for posts to prove a point so I may be wrong and will accept if I am. :jap:

But Dave, by your own admission you're a newb rider right? And the Ninja needs it's neck wrung which isn't the most natural thing for a beginner to do. The CBR is probably right up your street, and despite some of my tongue in cheek comments I do mean that in a non condescending way. New rider, self confessed Honda whore who overcooked a corner on the Ninja and ended up in the bushes while learning to ride a 250 - the fact you think you'd prefer the CBR without riding it isn't a massive surprise.

Did you replace the stock tyres on the Ninja yet?

Horses for courses, maybe the CBR is the better bike for you, why not just buy one?

I think there is someone also; otherwise I wouldn't have brought it up. hehehoho claims it's a guy on another forum; perhaps we're thinking about a cross post?

Yes, I am one of those n00bs. And I don't get a lot of time to expand my rather limited skill set. It wasn't the bikes fault, or the fact I don't wring it's neck. It was simply error inside the helmet combined with a '<deleted> there's a guard rail coming up so I'm going to bail' (of course the higher performing brakes locking the wheel a lot sooner than I was prepared for was another factor).

The tyres have been replaced with Pirelli Corsas, thanks for asking. Will be glad to tackle Umphang again as they are getting a bit squared off.

The fact that this newbie took a tumble on his Ninja doesn't change the facts nor the professional riders' opinions does it?