Cbr 250 Vs Ninja 250

johnboy3739w

OK, I thought my point was clear but I'll try to clarify it further because in fairness you haven't seen the video. Two bikes start side by side, let's call them Bike A and Bike B. The first few seconds appears pretty even (we cannot see Bike A at this point as the camera which is mounted on Bike B is forward facing, so Bike A may be level or may be slightly behind). After these first few seconds, Bike A clearly accelerates away from Bike B. By the end of the race Bike A is way off in the distance, just visible in the camera that is mounted on Bike B.

Bike B could be showing 100kph while Bike A is showing 200kph. or vice versa. Maybe neither bike has a tach (don't panic Wantan, this is hypothetical). Either way, Bike A is still accelerating away from Bike B and travelling faster. So in a side by side race, the speed showing on the clock of either bike is not 'extremely important'. Maybe I'll wait until you see the video.

Dave has a hard time getting his head around the concept of passing as he generally rides his Ninjette on the shoulder with the scooters...

He also doesn't seem to understand the concept of a race start, where you keep your revs up and use your clutch to launch.

The fellow on the CB'r' has his engine spinning at about 8-9k rpm on the starting line and does his best, but obviously his best isn't good enough and the Ninjette walks away easily.

Who knows, maybe the the CB'r' rider is a lard ass and the guy on the Ninjette is a toothpick- the relative weight of the riders can make a BIG difference on such small bikes.

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I thought my point was clear but I'll try to clarify it further because in fairness you haven't seen the video. Two bikes start side by side, let's call them Bike A and Bike B. The first few seconds appears pretty even (we cannot see Bike A at this point as the camera which is mounted on Bike B is forward facing, so Bike A may be level or may be slightly behind). After these first few seconds, Bike A clearly accelerates away from Bike B. By the end of the race Bike A is way off in the distance, just visible in the camera that is mounted on Bike B.

Bike B could be showing 100kph while Bike A is showing 200kph. or vice versa. Maybe neither bike has a tach (don't panic Wantan, this is hypothetical). Either way, Bike A is still accelerating away from Bike B and travelling faster. So in a side by side race, the speed showing on the clock of either bike is not 'extremely important'. Maybe I'll wait until you see the video.

Appreciate you waiting for me to see the video; as always if I'm way out in left field I'll admit it.

Appreciate you waiting for me to see the video; as always if I'm way out in left field I'll admit it.

Actually going from memory (I must admit I can never be bothered to look up old posts) I'm pretty sure that what the video shows is what you predicted based on the HP, torque and gearing of the bikes before the bike was released i.e. CBr with a miniscule advantage 1st and 2nd gear and then the Ninja taking over at higher speeds.

I'm sure you'll correct me if my memory has failed me smile.png

Dave has a hard time getting his head around the concept of passing as he generally rides his Ninjette on the shoulder with the scooters...

He also doesn't seem to understand the concept of a race start, where you keep your revs up and use your clutch to launch.

The fellow on the CB'r' has his engine spinning at about 8-9k rpm on the starting line and does his best, but obviously his best isn't good enough and the Ninjette walks away easily.

Who knows, maybe the the CB'r' rider is a lard ass and the guy on the Ninjette is a toothpick- the relative weight of the riders can make a BIG difference on such small bikes.

Don't remember from our rides spending too much time with the scooters; however I will pass anywhere there's an opening...even if that means going over into the scooter lane.

Of course with someone who is obviously overcompensating I could see how the distinction would be lost.

Especially when that person fails at even the basic knowledge that the CBR rider was obviously in the downwards part of the power curve. Of course when you only understand OMG RPM-RPM-RPM and can't understand keeping the bike in its power curve (hint...it's not always revved out...maybe you can understand that some day), how can you have a sane and rational conversation?

But that's par for the course isn't it? You still a bit miffed about my response earlier on the cost to bring a CBR up to a Ninja's power? Or are you upset that my predictions made before the CBR was available about how a theoretical race between the two bikes would pan out came true?

Because, as always, you're trolling and resorting to personal attacks. Perhaps you could let go of your nappy and join us when you're finished doing that?

Could you please upload this as a voice file, so even the blind of us can undestand what you think the video is showing thumbsup.gif

An Arrow full exhaust is supposed to be able to take a CBR 250R up to 24,99 HP. Of course that's essentially what a Ninja 250R makes at the rear wheel, but it will have more torque. Where does the torque end up being equal, and at what price point? Too tired to do the numbers and look.

At any rate, the full Arrow system will cost 456 USD (14K THB). Figure 50% more for shipping, taxes, imports and you're looking at 21K THB. For a 115K bike, that means you'd have at least 8 000 km of free fuel.

And how much more weight (% wise) does Porky carry around.

Probably more than 10% heavier than the light and nimble CBR250R with a slip-on Arrow.

An Arrow full exhaust is supposed to be able to take a CBR 250R up to 24,99 HP. Of course that's essentially what a Ninja 250R makes at the rear wheel, but it will have more torque. Where does the torque end up being equal, and at what price point? Too tired to do the numbers and look.

At any rate, the full Arrow system will cost 456 USD (14K THB). Figure 50% more for shipping, taxes, imports and you're looking at 21K THB. For a 115K bike, that means you'd have at least 8 000 km of free fuel.

And how much more weight (% wise) does Porky carry around.

Probably more than 10% heavier than the light and nimble CBR250R with a slip-on Arrow.

Don't call Dave "Porky", it seems he's quite sensitive about his weight problem giggle.gif

• 2 months later...

Race modded CBR250R Verses lots of race modded Ninja 250s.

I don't know which has more hate. The CBR riders for the straights or the Ninja riders for the bends.

Looks like fun. The ninjettes fly past in the straight, the CBR flys past as soon as they have to do something other than go in a straight line.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Congrats to Micky Walker

He's certainly used to winning!

Thai rider with GP Potential.

Amazing story that and well worth a read.

"...we are optimistic about getting the money and winning a late entry to Moto3 or, at the least, getting him into a top national championship in Spain, Germany or Britain."

Good on the lad.

Edited by siampreggers

Tony,

Myself and Luke were actually thinking about you when we were watching the Ninja's get spanked down the straights by the cbr250's.. Obviously Mickey is a much better rider than any of the other guys in that race and according to some people one of the best young riders in thailand, but on his heavily modded ninja250 could only manage to run a 1m32.9 which is more than 4s slower then the top cbr250 in the moto3 races and would probably put him last on that grid.

oh and #8, which was 3rd on the grid is our team mechanic

Edited by newf
  • Like 2

Tony,

Myself and Luke were actually thinking about you when we were watching the Ninja's get spanked down the straights by the cbr250's.. Obviously Mickey is a much better rider than any of the other guys in that race and according to some people one of the best young riders in thailand, but on his heavily modded ninja250 could only manage to run a 1m32.9 which is more than 4s slower then the top cbr250 in the moto3 races and would probably put him last on that grid.

cheesy.gif

Im just wondering....when the new Ninja 300 comes out will everyone stop their bickering since it will no longer be comparable to the CBR 250?

Or will the New Ninja 300 be called a cheater by the CBR 250 crowd because it has more displacement?

Less expensive bike:

Honda

More widely available in LOS:

Honda

Only to currently offer ABS option:

Honda

Less maintenance (scheduled and amount required each time):

Honda

Larger community of bikers:

Honda

Quicker to most legal speeds:

Honda

More economical:

Honda

Higher percentage of resale value:

Honda

Better capability 2 up:

Honda

Quicker, stock, through the curves:

Honda

Wins more races when rider's skills are similar:

Honda

Higher stock torque:

Honda

Higher stock HP:

Kawasaki

Larger selection of aftermarket parts:

Kawasaki

Better performance at supra-legal speeds when stock:

Kawasaki

Higher RPM:

Kawasaki

I may be forgetting some items, so if ya'll think of something, or wish to challenge my assertions, feel free.

• 8 months later...

Oh man, are we reviving this thread again. can somebody please get hehehoho and bigbikebkk back here.

On a more serious note, i think the whole cbr 250-ninjette battle is a bit passe now.

Buyers who want a budget bike buy the cbr 250 and those who want the best bang for the buck buy the new honda 500 cbr. Ninjette is now only for die hard kawa fans.

P.S. I must say i like the new ninjettes looks though, nicer then the honda so maybe the posers will also choose the kawa.

Edited by pokerkid

I saw the new Kawasaki Z250, they are nice and I think that they should be compared with these two bikes as well. Not the most powerful, but if I was in the market for a new bike, I would look at that one... only 151.500... the red one looks nice!!!

I saw the new Kawasaki Z250, they are nice and I think that they should be compared with these two bikes as well. Not the most powerful, but if I was in the market for a new bike, I would look at that one... only 151.500... the red one looks nice!!!

Yes folks have taken a real shine to those new 250 Z's

They have a big club/following already here in CM

I do see the benefit of the 250 class still & yes I own a 2013 N250

so may be biased but......

Many times I do realize it is a decent spot it fills depending on your needs

& ride types

It is nimble & quick for what it is & has very good gas mileage.

I just took a ride out towards Chiang Rai with the wife on the back today & was thinking

....for a 250 it really does go well if you keep it on the boil. The bike loves the revs & runs best

in the 9k & above range.

In that range even with the wife on back it is not a problem maintaining 110-130 thru those sweeping hills

heading to Mae Kajan & that really is enough with her on the back (according to her at least) smile.png

Not bad for a 250

Edited by mania

I actually got the CBR 250 up to 170 kph the other day. Heres what was needed:

1) 50 psi in tires (lol..its true)

2) Benzene 95

3) Cold weather

4) Freshly lubed chain with SONAX, most slippery ive found, but only last 100 kilos, and will dry the chain out. 7k vibration will be gone.

5) Full tuck

6) Air Filter Removed

7) Tank almost empty to reduce weight

8) Ran out of room, but it needed a few kilometers after 155kph.

9) Bike has 25k kilometers on it.

Regular riding on gasohol sitting up and normal tire pressure on regularly semi dry chain 148 kph.

come up to CNX...lots of CRF 250 on the road mostly cops, new ninja 250's not so often...

Raced a Z250 two days ago, but he chickened out, we were neck to neck....

Going to pick up a Ninja 300 when i get back to the states...the new ninja 250, im sure if its just looks...but the 300 is badass, with the stroker motor.

Going to look for a wrecked 300 and ship the engine to thailand.

I actually got the CBR 250 up to 170 kph the other day. Heres what was needed:

Stock gearing?

Yes sir stock gearing, but it was a cold day last week (10am), 95 benzine, freshly lubed chain, Castrol power 1 oil, 50 psi Pirelli's...air filter removed, and nearly empty tank.....in a full tuck...

Took about 2 kilometers after 155 to pull it off on the outbound CNX superhighway.

On a normal day with gasohol and normally semi dry chain, lucky to break 153 kph, even in a tuck....since i wont be buying benzine everyday...its not usual.

100 baht of 95 benzine gets 60 kilos, 100 baht of 91 gasohol gets 80 kilos.

• Like 1

Yes sir stock gearing, but it was a cold day last week (10am), 95 benzine,

Sorry did not see this reply till now

Cool...........You know I have never even tried 95 Benz since gasahol 95 has always run so well in

bike & scooters

Might try it just to see how it feels in comparison.