Cbr 250 Vs Ninja 250

johnboy3739w

Motorcycle USA does a CBR250R Vs Ninja 250R.

Nothing new but interesting to see the comments. They dis the ABS to the point (in the video) of calling it dangerous and don't recommend it even for new riders! They also dislike the light clutch on the CBR, as it makes it feel like a toy. And the CBR feels small!

Ninja wins 3-1 Though the comparison video is sponsored by Kawasaki!

http://www.motorcycl...Ninja-250R.aspx

Interesting article, worth noting though that the US Ninja has a carb whereas the Thai Ninja has FI, which partially explains the difference in price between the two bikes in Thailand compared to the same price in the US.

Also interesting that even the carb'd Ninja wins the shootout - be interesting to see a shootout between the higher spec'd Thai Ninja vs. the CBR. The performance figures quoted pretty much back up what we saw in the video posted earlier, especially the comments re. the roll-on power which the Ninja seemed to dominate and is the least dependent on rider ability.

Any review that starts off with a waxing poetic about nostalgia kinda raises questions about the partiality of the review doesn't it?

Also in regards to the clutch it was noted that it "almost feels broken at first", to me implying that the user is used to much more stiff springs on his clutches and perhaps got used to it.

Fueling was noted as being really good on the CBR. As was gas milage.

It's also interesting that the times for 0-60 (0-100 km/h) are quite reversed from what Youtube and owners have offered. However considering they claim that the Ninja hits 110 MPH (176 km/h) shows that any timing equipment was grossly uncalibrated and I'd bet that the speedos were used. So unless both bikes were ran one after the other by an impartial rider and timed with a calibrated speedo I'm going to call bunk to that.

I do agree with the Combi-ABS though; however how often is a n00b going to get their bike over so far that they would just want the rear brake activated? And add in the fact that under controlled circumstances they were able to just get the Ninja down to CBR's stopping distance (and did they have the same problems that the owners in LOS complain about in regards to the rear brake) I think overall ABS is good for n00bs and touring...maybe not so good for the track.

I'll have to look at it again, but IIRC the Ninja and CBR both had about the same percentage of RPMs left in top gear when running 75 MPH (120 km/h)....

And if you can't hear the exhaust change on the Ninja 250 that pulls ahead of the CBR (and other Ninja!) you may want to visit a hearing aid store...and the CBR owner wasn't even that good at the holeshot..

Dave, I respect your opinion even though it is clearly biased (by your own admission) - but I've read a few reviews of the CBR now - I'd suggest you test ride it for a while before you trade in the Ninja, even as a proud "Honda Whore" you might end up regretting it.

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Interesting comments about the linked braking- I've never ridden a bike with linked brakes, but considering what the reviewers experienced I think I'd prefer "old school" ABS where front and rear brakes operate independently. I think it would be very disconcerting to step on the rear brake and have the front end dive."

Tony i have ridden the CBR250 abs. and even when you stomp on the rear brake you do not get as much nose dive as you would applying the front brake hard. it feels more like a leveling out. I did not have the bike for long and certainly did not 'stomp' on the rear brake mid bend like the articles tester (that's some mistake to make).

Actually even when i tried doing an emergency stop i did not feel that the ABS was intrusive. As for the rest of the article, Ummmm it made an interesting read.

If you watch the Ninja comparison video (there are 2, one for the CBR and one for the Ninja) at 1:54 one of the guys does a brake rear wheel slide through a corner. The same guy, on the same corner obviously tries it with the CBR and you see the bike wobble (2:09 on the CBR vid). This is the same guy that trashes the ABS. Oh, both videos are 'Presented by Kawasaki'!

On my test ride i stomped the brake foot pedal hard (not using the hand lever) and the front didn't dip, but maybe i wasn't going fast enough.

Edited by taichiplanet

ABS is a great advancement IMO and I wish I had it on my bikes, but applying the front brake when you step on the rear is a step too far for me.

There's times I drag the rear brake a bit through a corner because I don't want the bike to "drop" into the corner in the same way it does as when you apply the front brake - and now it's going to do that anyway? No, Independent ABS would be the preferred option for me.

ABS is a great advancement IMO and I wish I had it on my bikes, but applying the front brake when you step on the rear is a step too far for me.

There's times I drag the rear brake a bit through a corner because I don't want the bike to "drop" into the corner in the same way it does as when you apply the front brake - and now it's going to do that anyway? No, Independent ABS would be the preferred option for me.

The combi brake only starts to work when the rear brake pedal is activated and the rear wheel locks up; at least that is my understanding of it. So under normal riding it can still be used as you suggested. I think the idiot in that comparison video tried to get the rear end to slide by locking up the rear wheel, which he did on the Ninja 250.

Um, actually you've got it backwards there mate-

The rear brake helps drop the bike into a corner while the front brake stands the bike up.

I suspect that's why the CBR gets the wobbles when you apply the rear brake in corners- the rear wants to lie down and the front wants to stand up. NOT A GOOD THING!

Then again, one should never be on the back brake that hard in a corner unless you are Valentino Rossi or Ben Spies and actually WANT to kick the back end out-

And that's why I prefer unlinked brakes.

Ride On!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

The combi brake only starts to work when the rear brake pedal is activated and the rear wheel locks up; at least that is my understanding of it. So under normal riding it can still be used as you suggested. I think the idiot in that comparison video tried to get the rear end to slide by locking up the rear wheel, which he did on the Ninja 250.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe that's how Honda's linked brakes work. Linked brakes function independently from the ABS system.

That is to say, regardless of the ABS function, when you apply the rear brake on the Honda it activates the rear brake but it ALSO activates one of the pistons on the front brake caliper.

ABS is a separate function that only comes into play if a tire loses traction. ABS functions independently of the linked braking system.

Does that make sense?

Ride On!

Tony

The rear brake helps drop the bike into a corner while the front brake stands the bike up.

I suspect that's why the CBR gets the wobbles when you apply the rear brake in corners- the rear wants to lie down and the front wants to stand up. NOT A GOOD THING!

Then again, one should never be on the back brake that hard in a corner unless you are Valentino Rossi or Ben Spies and actually WANT to kick the back end out-

Ride On!

Tony

I'm talking about in wet/slippery conditions. Try taking a corner tight in the wet and applying the front brake too hard, there's not enough grip for the bike to stand up - the front will wash out and you'll go down on the low side. Happened to me many times off-road.

Ride On!

Tony

Double post

Edited by JonnyF

Dave, I respect your opinion even though it is clearly biased (by your own admission) - but I've read a few reviews of the CBR now - I'd suggest you test ride it for a while before you trade in the Ninja, even as a proud "Honda Whore" you might end up regretting it.

AFAIK, this is the only head-to-head review that has been done. I've read a review or two where the person had ridden the Ninja and the past and was attempting to compare his then current ride to his memories, but I don't recall a real head to head.

There is that Japanese link that definitely contradicts the website posted today, as does the numbers and the video evidence...I'm just saying.

Plus I'm too tight to buy a 250. When I out-grow the Ninja Honda may actually have big bikes. And considering the limited time I get on my current bike (and lack of making time for a track day for accelerated learning) APe Honda has quite a bit of time to bring out those assumed new models!

I may be wrong, but I don't believe that's how Honda's linked brakes work. Linked brakes function independently from the ABS system.

That is to say, regardless of the ABS function, when you apply the rear brake on the Honda it activates the rear brake but it ALSO activates one of the pistons on the front brake caliper.

ABS is a separate function that only comes into play if a tire loses traction. ABS functions independently of the linked braking system.

Does that make sense?

Ride On!

Tony

The back brake pedal only activates the front brake if the rear wheel is about to lock, not each and every time.

AFAIK, this is the only head-to-head review that has been done. I've read a review or two where the person had ridden the Ninja and the past and was attempting to compare his then current ride to his memories, but I don't recall a real head to head.

There is that Japanese link that definitely contradicts the website posted today, as does the numbers and the video evidence...I'm just saying.

Plus I'm too tight to buy a 250. When I out-grow the Ninja Honda may actually have big bikes. And considering the limited time I get on my current bike (and lack of making time for a track day for accelerated learning) APe Honda has quite a bit of time to bring out those assumed new models!

I'm always a bit skeptical of videos with the bikes going head to head because there are too many variables, primarily the rider. But the bikes seem pretty close so there would be little point trading one for the other and taking the depreciation hit twice.

Yep a 600 might be the way to go. I'd love Honda to release the CBR600RR in Thailand although it seems that the litre bikes are much more popular over here so I'm guessing when they finally get round to it that the CBR1000 will be the first one available.

Nothing new but interesting to see the comments. They dis the ABS to the point (in the video) of calling it dangerous and don't recommend it even for new riders! They also dislike the light clutch on the CBR, as it makes it feel like a toy. And the CBR feels small!

Great review Taichi!

Thanks for sharing it with us.

It confirms what many have said already, the CBR is better in town and easier for new riders while the Ninja 250R is better pretty much everywhere else :)

No doubt the US Ninjette will get EFI like we already enjoy here in Thailand, but I wonder if Kawasaki will add an ABS option to their smallest Ninja...

Interesting comments about the linked braking- I've never ridden a bike with linked brakes, but considering what the reviewers experienced I think I'd prefer "old school" ABS where front and rear brakes operate independently. I think it would be very disconcerting to step on the rear brake and have the front end dive.

I wonder how much difference EFI makes in fuel economy? I can't remember what mileage I used to get on my Thai EFI Ninjette and fuel economy has never been important to me when shopping for a motorcycle, but I know some folks do care about mileage... Anyone know how the EFI Ninjette and CBR 250 compare in fuel economy?

Ride On!

Tony

Linked braking without ABS certanly sucks (Honda VTX 1800 v-twin, Airblade, PCX). Never tryed it with ABS, but really prefere to control which brake to apply myself until a proper electronic distibution (EBD) is available

As i said before. When i tried the bike you could still trail the rear brake eg slight pressure to just slow ya down going through traffic etc. the linking does not seem to take effect until you press the rear brake fairly Hard. Any way time will tell what its like and i'm sure that some people will disconnect the linking entirely. :D

Plus I'm too tight to buy a 250. When I out-grow the Ninja Honda may actually have big bikes.

Well not BIG, but Honda are developing the new CBR400 for release in 2 or so years aren't they... so the rumours go. :D

Well, IIRC they still sell the CBR 400 in Japan; would probably be a good bike to go up to however I wonder whether they'll just try and make it a single also (or a twin?)...

Plus I'm too tight to buy a 250. When I out-grow the Ninja Honda may actually have big bikes.

Well not BIG, but Honda are developing the new CBR400 for release in 2 or so years aren't they... so the rumours go. :D

Well, IIRC they still sell the CBR 400 in Japan; would probably be a good bike to go up to however I wonder whether they'll just try and make it a single also (or a twin?)...

Dave. Honda still do the CB400 Superfour.

Great review Taichi!

Thanks for sharing it with us.

It confirms what many have said already, the CBR is better in town and easier for new riders while the Ninja 250R is better pretty much everywhere else :)

No doubt the US Ninjette will get EFI like we already enjoy here in Thailand, but I wonder if Kawasaki will add an ABS option to their smallest Ninja...

Interesting comments about the linked braking- I've never ridden a bike with linked brakes, but considering what the reviewers experienced I think I'd prefer "old school" ABS where front and rear brakes operate independently. I think it would be very disconcerting to step on the rear brake and have the front end dive.

I wonder how much difference EFI makes in fuel economy? I can't remember what mileage I used to get on my Thai EFI Ninjette and fuel economy has never been important to me when shopping for a motorcycle, but I know some folks do care about mileage... Anyone know how the EFI Ninjette and CBR 250 compare in fuel economy?

Ride On!

Tony

If the Ninjette gets ABS, slightly wider rims/tyres and the price is around THB 140K then it would be a hard decision between the 2. At present (off the showroom floor) the CBR has more appeal for me.

Honda have pushed fuel economy with their EFI introduction to Thailand (and other countries?), so looking forward to see how much power is released in the CBR250 by reprogramming. Fuel economy is not a big deal for me either, a pity they don't have a Eco/Sports button you can press on EFI bikes to choose what mode you wanna ride in.

That vid in the Motorcycle-USA comparison of the CBR wobble is an aberration. The idiot doing the testing obviously stomped hard on the rear brake peddle to try and get the rear wheel to lock up and start a slide, like he did with the Ninjette. Dooooh! That's right the CBR has ABS and stops wheel lock up! What an absolute dick that guy is. To then warn people off buying the ABS option because of his stupidity is, well, stupid!

From the World Honda website:

"Electronically Controlled Combined ABS allows riders to apply precise rear-wheel braking with the foot pedal. Application of the rear brake does not result in immediate front brake activation unless rear-wheel lockup is sensed, allowing an experienced rider to use the rear brake like a traditional non-linked unit during spirited riding such as track days for outstanding speed, suspension and steering control."

http://world.honda.com/motorcycle-picturebook/eCBS/

Edited by taichiplanet

It is an interesting comparison but, here in Thailand, there is something we can't ignore and that is the big price difference. If I were in America or the UK where the bikes are the same price then it would be a tougher choice but with the non-abs CBR being available at 2/3 of the price of the Ninja then it's a no-brainer. I know there are those who say that price isn't a factor for them but for two bikes which are so evenly matched then I don't see why not.

I read the article recently which pitted the Versys against a KTM and a BMW F800GS and it come out as the overall winner. Now if the BMW F800GS was sold in Thailand at 2/3 of the price of the Versys (around 200k baht) I bet those same people who say price isn't a factor would be riding around on a BMW instead of a Kawasaki!

It is an interesting comparison but, here in Thailand, there is something we can't ignore and that is the big price difference. If I were in America or the UK where the bikes are the same price then it would be a tougher choice but with the non-abs CBR being available at 2/3 of the price of the Ninja then it's a no-brainer. I know there are those who say that price isn't a factor for them but for two bikes which are so evenly matched then I don't see why not.

I read the article recently which pitted the Versys against a KTM and a BMW F800GS and it come out as the overall winner. Now if the BMW F800GS was sold in Thailand at 2/3 of the price of the Versys (around 200k baht) I bet those same people who say price isn't a factor would be riding around on a BMW instead of a Kawasaki!

Naw... I've ridden the BWM F800GS and quite frankly, the Versys is just more fun.

JohnsBMWF800GSSSR.jpg

More torque, higher redline and lower first gear combine to make the Versys quite spirited.

The Versys, with it's 17" wheels is more road oriented, while the F800GS with 19" front and spoke wheels will be more competent off road.

Since I do most of my riding on pavement, the Versys is the better bike for me.

Of course, for someone who likes to get off the pavement, the F800GS might be the more appropriate choice.

Ride On!

Tony

While you may have a beef with the guy who wrote the article, don't forget that this review was done by FOUR riders, not 1.

Also, don't forget that the Ninja 250R sold in the US is carb'd while the Ninja 250R sold in Thailand is Fuel Injected. The EFI Ninjette has much better fuel economy.

I also seem to recall the the EFI Ninja does a bit better on the dyno and is a bit faster than the carbed version?

Ride On!

Tony

So you'd still buy the Versys at 285k even if the BMW was 200k baht?

What?! I thought you were talking about them being priced the same, like the CBR 250 and Ninja 250 reviewed in the article.

If I could buy a new F800GS for 85000 Baht less than a Versys then yes, I'd jump right on it. But of course that's pure fantasy, isn't it? :rolleyes:

What?! I thought you were talking about them being priced the same, like the CBR 250 and Ninja 250 reviewed in the article.

If I could buy a new F800GS for 85000 Baht less than a Versys then yes, I'd jump right on it. But of course that's pure fantasy, isn't it? :rolleyes:

No, what I said was that IF the CBR 250R and Ninja 250R were the same price here like they are in America or the UK then it would be a tougher choice but here in Thailand it's a no-brainer as the CBR 250R is 2/3 of the price of the Ninja.

I've read many people say that price isn't an issue for them and they just buy the bike they like but for two bikes that are so similar (CBR or Ninja, Versys or F800GS) surely a price difference of 33% would be a factor when deciding which one to buy, something which you have just confirmed.

Honda have pushed fuel economy with their EFI introduction to Thailand (and other countries?), so looking forward to see how much power is released in the CBR250 by reprogramming. Fuel economy is not a big deal for me either, a pity they don't have a Eco/Sports button you can press on EFI bikes to choose what mode you wanna ride in.

That vid in the Motorcycle-USA comparison of the CBR wobble is an aberration. The idiot doing the testing obviously stomped hard on the rear brake peddle to try and get the rear wheel to lock up and start a slide, like he did with the Ninjette. Dooooh! That's right the CBR has ABS and stops wheel lock up! What an absolute dick that guy is. To then warn people off buying the ABS option because of his stupidity is, well, stupid!

From the World Honda website:

"Electronically Controlled Combined ABS allows riders to apply precise rear-wheel braking with the foot pedal. Application of the rear brake does not result in immediate front brake activation unless rear-wheel lockup is sensed, allowing an experienced rider to use the rear brake like a traditional non-linked unit during spirited riding such as track days for outstanding speed, suspension and steering control."

http://world.honda.c...cturebook/eCBS/

Calling the vid an aberration and the tester a dick is a bit over the top IMO.

I think it's good to show people the ABS is not the holy grail of that will magically save you in every situation.

Plus, the video would seem to put into question Honda's claim that the linked ABS allows "an experienced rider to use the rear brake like a traditional non-linked unit during spirited riding such as track days for outstanding speed, suspension and steering control."

Point being, new riders and riders who are new to linked ABS should still practice emergency braking and braking in corners to learn how this bike handles because this linked brake system affects the handling of the bike differently than traditional unlinked brakes.

Ride On!

Tony

I would

a BMW owner typically waits 4 months for spareparts to have a drop repaired, while Kawaski its 2 days

there are many exciting bikes out there, I have owned some of them, but I want to ride in LOS, not wait for parts :)

No, what I said was that IF the CBR 250R and Ninja 250R were the same price here like they are in America or the UK then it would be a tougher choice but here in Thailand it's a no-brainer as the CBR 250R is 2/3 of the price of the Ninja.

I've read many people say that price isn't an issue for them and they just buy the bike they like but for two bikes that are so similar (CBR or Ninja, Versys or F800GS) surely a price difference of 33% would be a factor when deciding which one to buy, something which you have just confirmed.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

But actually, I have no idea what the price of the CBR250 is here in Thailand...

I know the Kawasaki Ninja 250R costs exactly 147,500 Thai Baht, but I don't know what the Honda CBR 250 costs... Do you? :whistling:

P_Ninja-C&G.jpg

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

But actually, I have no idea what the price of the CBR250 is here in Thailand...

I know the Kawasaki Ninja 250R costs exactly 147,500 Thai Baht, but I don't know what the Honda CBR 250 costs... Do you? :whistling:

P_Ninja-C&G.jpg

Yes I do. As Honda have only a MSRP then some dealers are charging a premium but the MSRP is 100k for the non-abs bike and 115k for the abs bike. There are many who have bought the bikes at the msrp and some who have paid a premium. I have paid a deposit on an abs bike and will pay a total of 120k including registration and compulsory insurance, some other dealers just a few kms away are asking 135k. So the choice between a Ninja at 147,500 or CBR at 105,000 is easy as the CBR is 30% cheaper and can be bought almost anywhere.

katabeachbum also made a good point about parts, I live in Chiang Rai where there are numerous Honda dealers but no Kawasaki dealer so getting a CBR serviced or repaired will be very easy and cheap. I just read about someone in a small village, San Pa Tong, in Chiang Mai that recently bought a CBR 250R at their village Honda dealer for 105k, this will be a similar story all over Thailand as there are hundred of Honda dealers. If I buy a Ninja I have a 3hr trip to CM every time I want it serviced or have a problem.