Portable Air-Con Units

I have a shop-house where the building has a front room, middle room and rear room on each of the floors. Since it is between other shop-houses, the middle room does not have an external window, but offers an internal window which opens onto the corridor.

The room is fitted with fans, but it is still rather warm. I do not think it is possible/value-for-money to install an external air-con unit.

I have seen portable/mobile air-con units for sale in Tesco, Big C etc. Are these worth buying? I do not need to cool the room to ice-box temperature, merely get the temperature down to a more acceptable level.

Advice from those who have used these types of air-con units is appreciated

Simon

Well, I cannot install a normal air-con unit because this is a middle room with no exterior wall and a long distance via other rooms to an exterior wall. So if I want to use an air-con unit, it has to be a type that does not require a compressor on an external wall

Simon

Well, I cannot install a normal air-con unit because this is a middle room with no exterior wall and a long distance via other rooms to an exterior wall. So if I want to use an air-con unit, it has to be a type that does not require a compressor on an external wall

Simon

The 6 inch hot air duct has to go somewhere on a portable too.

I have installed aircons with as long as 10 meters pipes between inside- and outside unit. Each pipe must be insulated separately when this long, but except for that no problem

Use a larger 'ice' airconditioner. I doubt though you can find one in Thailand.

In essence it is just a big box with ice a submersible pump to circulate the ice water through an heat exchanger and a fan sucking air through that exchanger.

It will cool down and dehumidify a room at the same time. Adding insulation and closing 'leaks' through which the cold air can escape will greatly help.

A handy person can build one easily. If you have an easy supply of ice (trucks supplying markets and shops) this would be one way to solve the problem. The money spend on ice and little amount of electricity is considerably lower then that spend on electricity using a conventional compressor type air conditioner.