Best Mobile Internet Access In Tonsai Beach (Ao Nang/Krabi)?

climbth

I've looked though other topics on mobile internet access, but I haven't seen any covering info for the area I'm staying in (Ao Nang, specifically Tonsai Beach).

I'll be in Tonsai Beach for two months and was planning to get the unlimited Happy plan which looks like it offers coverage in the area. Unfortunately, the DTAC coverage map doesn't differentiate between EDGE and 3G and (obviously) I'd like to get the fastest/most-reliable connection available.

In other topics on this forum, CAT is recommended. Would that be a better option? I can't find a coverage map or much more information. If it is better, where can I buy a SIM card? For Happy, it looks like there's a store in the BKK airport that sells the SIM, but I can't find anything for other providers. I'll also be going through the airport in Krabi and will be in Ao Nang and ideally I'd like to buy the the card along the way somewhere.

Tethering to my phone I'm able to do: GSM: 850, 900; DCS: 1800; PCS 1900; WCDMA: 850, 900, 1900, 2100;

And my laptop has a GOBI 2000 card which supports:

EV-DO/EV-DO Rev. A 800MHz*

EV-DO/EV-DO Rev. A 1900 MHz*

HSDPA/HSUPA 800MHz*

HSDPA/HSUPA 850MHz*

HSDPA/HSUPA 900MHz*

HSDPA/HSUPA 1900MHz*

HSDPA/HSUPA 2100MHz*

GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850MHz

GSM/GPRS/EDGE 900MHz

GSM/GPRS/EDGE 1800MHz

GSM/GPRS/EDGE 1900MH

* with receive diversity (whatever that means)

So what's the best provider for my situation? Hopefully one of the above frequencies works with it. What kind of speeds can I expect?

Thanks for any advice!

Thanks H2oDunc,

If I wanted to buy both an AIS SIM and DTAC SIM to test both networks, could I then add money to the one that worked better to switch to a 250 hour or unlimited plan, or do I have to pick the plan when I buy the SIM? Can all of that be done at 7/11 (buying SIMs for both networks, adding money to upgrade to a different plan)?

Or do you think I shouldn't bother with DTAC/Happy and just get the AIS from the start? :)

Hi I have used AIS for around 8 years and never had any major problems with them. The small niggles I have had they sorted very quickly. I have also travelled all over Thailand and have been in very few places where I have had no reception. Before you sign up to any package simply put some credit on the sim and use it and you will be charged 1 baht per minute. If you are happy with the speed etc then simply dial 1175 and get them to put you on a monthly package. They speak very good English and I have always found them to be very helpful. Can't say about DTAC as I have never used it as been quite happy with AIS sorry. :D