Accessible Places In Chiang Rai Province

harsu

I ask for your assistance in identifying places to visit in Chiang Rai Province which are accessible to a wheelchair user. The wheelchair is not battery operated and is lightweight.

The wheel chair user is able to get up and walk a few level steps with support, but can't manage any steps up or down. The wheelchair and occupant can be bumped up/down a couple of steps but it's not easy. I know a lot of the restaurants and cafes in town are accessible if you can park right outside them- and information about these will not be refused!- but it was more along the lines of any gardens, galleries, museums and general interest places that would be of interest -even for an hour- that I would welcome suggestions about. They don't have to have disabled toilets, though this would be great.

I have been doing some looking around and ,so far, have found the following places to be accessible : the gardens at Rajabhat University, the Chinese language centre and gardens at Mae Fah Luang university, most of Mae Fah Luang art and cultural park, Doi tung gardens- though the ramp down is v. steep and you get plenty of exercise going up and down paths, Wat Rong Khun (the White temple), the ground floor of the museum at Wat Doi Ngam Mueng in C.R , the lower floor of Oub Kham museum (C.R), some of the paths/cages at the children's zoo off the old Chiang Mai road, and about half a dozen exhibits at the top carpark to the captive breeding zoo near the aboretum on Doi Tung. Edisons is OK if you can manage to park right outside for five minutes, and a small reservoir off to right of the Thoeng road has good flat concrete paths all around it..

I would welcome any help/suggestions to make things a bit more interesting for this adult.

I think you could get around ok at Chiang Rai beach as there are a few of the little restaurants along the concrete road part or they would let you drive right down to the ones right on the river i suspect.....

Also Wat Doi Kwai with a beautiful view should be pretty accessible though a little steep in couple of parts.....and then down on the lake near kwai mountain you could take him for some nice thai food at the dancing shrimp which would be easy in/out.

Good luck.....

The buffet at the Rimkok is accessible but a long walk through the outside paths.

Wiang Inn buffet is acessible once the staff lifts you up the very high curb. They did tell me they have a portable ramp that can get electric wheelchairs in too.

The buffet at the Rimkok is accessible but a long walk through the outside paths.

Wiang Inn buffet is acessible once the staff lifts you up the very high curb. They did tell me they have a portable ramp that can get electric wheelchairs in too.

Thanks for your advise, harrrry and pomchop. We have been to the Rimkok - and it is fine ( though the last time we used it we got caught in a torrential downpour on the way around - but that's our fault for not taking umbrellas).