Changi Airport Singapore

timbo365

Airport Security and travelling comfort

Just back from a short visa run to Singapore on the new Air Asia service from Chiang Mai.

Nice flights, bit late on the outward leg, which was embarassing for AA as it was their inaugural flight, but fine coming back. All in all an excellent couple of days in a wonderfully clean, safe, vibrant and exciting city. Go if you have not been.

A worry at Changi Airport though was that the baggage/personal security screening was not done until the departure gate. In light of the Moscow bombing that seems to be a major security flaw as you could get a sizeable bomb or cache of weapons into the main passenger areas (and then quite easily onto the tarmac) without being checked. The security on the Singapore MRT was stiffer than it was at the airport (our luggage was searched before going onto a station concourse).

At a practical level for travellers the arrangements have a positive and a negative. If you knew about the arrangements, you could take as much water or other beverage of your choice into the departures lounge and so remain hydrated and save a small fortune in overpriced catering. You would also not be tempted into buying a ridiculously priced bottle of oxygenated water to take on the plane as you would know it would be confiscated at the Gate!

I suppose security arrangements may change after Moscow, but if you are heading that way shortly I hope this tip is of use.

Changi will get it right - it's one of the world's finest airports.

:cheesy:

Have you ever been there?

SINGAPORE CHANGI AIRPORT IS NAMED WINNER OF BEST AIRPORT IN ASIA AWARD AT THE 2010 SKYTRAX WORLD AIRPORT AWARDS

Singapore Changi Airport had a triple celebration with the news that it has been named the "Best Airport Asia" by Skytrax - the award based on the votes of more than 9.8 million travellers from over 100 different countries. Singapore Changi was also named "World's Best Airport" for 2010, and took the Award for "Best Airport Leisure Amenities".

Edited by uptheos

Changi will get it right - it's one of the world's finest airports.

:cheesy:

Have you ever been there?

SINGAPORE CHANGI AIRPORT IS NAMED WINNER OF BEST AIRPORT IN ASIA AWARD AT THE 2010 SKYTRAX WORLD AIRPORT AWARDS

Singapore Changi Airport had a triple celebration with the news that it has been named the "Best Airport Asia" by Skytrax - the award based on the votes of more than 9.8 million travellers from over 100 different countries. Singapore Changi was also named "World's Best Airport" for 2010, and took the Award for "Best Airport Leisure Amenities".

Sorry miss read. Ur correct.:D

And don't get me wrong - Changi is a really great airport for the traveller, it is quiet and serene and very smart. Just soaks up the people and the toilets are, well, just amazing!

If I am going to be blown up anywhere by terrorists Changi is the place I would choose as I would have been ectstatically happy with the airport experience right up until that point............................It just seems like they have rewritten the rules on airport security - i.e. it contradicts conventional wisom!