Denied Tourist Visa In Laos.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there

I have read all posts on tourist visa.

But I wonder if anyone knows how it goes on if I have only one

touristvisa in my current passport and the other two is in my old passport.

The visas in my old passport is from Laos last year.

Somebody now if they just look in your passport or do they have them all the information in computer.

if u follow all the threads u should know already that in vientianne the visas are limited but no one can say if they refuse u with 3 or 4 visas already in the passport.

at least with an agent u can get unlimited tourist visas in phnom penh...

and they dont check old passports, this was also said already

Edited by zappalot

if u follow all the threads u should know already that in vientianne the visas are limited but no one can say if they refuse u with 3 or 4 visas already in the passport.

at least with an agent u can get unlimited tourist visas in phnom penh...

and they dont check old passports, this was also said already

Hello i have the same problem refused in Vientiane. How old are you to get Non O 90 days?

I have family relations a baby, but you have to be 50 and over to get a Non O for family visit.

Norm

You don't need to be over 50 to get a non-O based on visiting child.

Just bring the birth certificate.

With 100.000 in a Thai bank you can get a one year multiple entry non-O in KL.

Hello i have the same problem refused in Vientiane. How old are you to get Non O 90 days?

I have family relations a baby, but you have to be 50 and over to get a Non O for family visit.

Norm

Correct.:thumbsup:

Norm

I'm not so sure about that, unless rules have changed recently.

Married to Thai with 100k in the Bank and paperwork can obtain multiple entry Non-O at KL.

The last report I saw (albeit some time back) was a rejection at KL for multiple entry Non-O based on Thai child. Single entry only.

I can't find it immediately, but didn't the official announcement say that visas would be free only until March 4, 2011?

That was my thought but everyone has been saying 31st so not sure which is valid.

Royal Thai Embassy in London says 31st :)

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/76

31 March 2011 is also confirmed on MFA website:

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2637.php

All foreigners who apply for Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassies and the Royal Thai Consulates-General worldwide, including eligible foreigners who apply for Visa on Arrival at designated checkpoints, will be exempted from Tourist Visa fee from 11 May B.E. 2553 (2010) to 31 March B.E. 2554 (2011). Such arrangement is for Tourist Visa only.

. Instead they take them to the Cambodian border (where they stay at a hotel for 2 days) and run the passports to Phnom Penh via courier to get a tourist visa. Both companies also said that so far there haven't been any problems with going this route.

With that Cambodian option available I'm surprised that anyone living in the Bangkok - Pattaya area would bother going to Vientiane.

Did the agent mention if he can get double entry tourist visas out of Phnom Penh?

. Instead they take them to the Cambodian border (where they stay at a hotel for 2 days) and run the passports to Phnom Penh via courier to get a tourist visa. Both companies also said that so far there haven't been any problems with going this route.

With that Cambodian option available I'm surprised that anyone living in the Bangkok - Pattaya area would bother going to Vientiane.

Did the agent mention if he can get double entry tourist visas out of Phnom Penh?

Because its cheaper doing it yourself

going this week to vientainne and I see on the official website it has national holidays listed when closed but not 2011, can you believe. It says March 9th is womens Day but thats 2009, Anyone know if it is closed. They dont reply by email(surprising, no)

http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/embassy/embassy_time/

Edited by KKvampire

going this week to vientainne and I see on the official website it has national holidays listed when closed but not 2011, can you believe. It says March 9th is womens Day but thats 2009, Anyone know if it is closed. They dont reply by email(surprising, no)

http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/embassy/embassy_time/

8th March 2011 is International Women's Day, and the consulate in Vientiane will be closed.

Last week in Laos I was denied a double entry. 'You have too many visa's, I can give you only a single entry now and it's the last time'

For me no problem as I have the right for a non-O, just didn't make use of it so far, but I wonder how others solve this...

Her job trained the young Lao lady at the application counter to act very strict, but if you both have time for a talk she's actually very friendly.

For the many poor clothed farangs there I wouldn't give a sh_it either.

Because its cheaper doing it yourself

Maybe if you don't mind spending a few days on a bus. The way I do it (taxi from Pattaya to Airport, flight to Udon Thani) it would be much cheaper staying in a Poipet hotel and quicker too.

I wish the option had been available when I was doing my Vientiane tourist visa runs.

Edited by tropo

you can't complain about the truth, anything more then 6 months = not a tourist.Plenty of options to get your self legal wink.gif

What options?

If the OP is a genuine tourist, that is unfortunate but he has to blame all the foreigners hanging around in Thailand without without legitimate jobs who are either working illegally or engaged in criminal enterprises. If he is not a tourist, he should apply for the correct visa or not come to Thailand.

What if we are independently wealthy (yet not old enough to have a retirement visa) and dont "need" to have a job, are not a criminal or working illegally, yet have a lot of thai and farang friends here and feel like this place is home? What is the "correct" vsia? Or are you saying we should just get out? If so, why?

Edited by whereisthecheese

you can't complain about the truth, anything more then 6 months = not a tourist.Plenty of options to get your self legal wink.gif

What options?

If the OP is a genuine tourist, that is unfortunate but he has to blame all the foreigners hanging around in Thailand without without legitimate jobs who are either working illegally or engaged in criminal enterprises. If he is not a tourist, he should apply for the correct visa or not come to Thailand.

What if we are independently wealthy (yet not old enough to have a retirement visa) and dont "need" to have a job, are not a criminal or working illegally, yet have a lot of thai and farang friends here and feel like this place is home? What is the "correct" vsia? Or are you saying we should just get out? If so, why?

This discussion is about one Thai consulate that apparently feels the need to restrict the number of Tourist Visas it issues. If denied, just apply else where. However if one wants to reside in a country they should research the applicable immigration laws. I keep reading "I don't Have any options" but, they decline to get married, start a business, get employed by a business, investment, education(study or teach), etc. yet they say they don't have any options.

The Thai's set the guidelines for who they want to live here, if people choose not to meet them they shouldn't complain when they don't get a visa.

not the thais set the guideline. some politicians do.

so far no thai i talked to could understand why the thai government dont want people who can proof regular income from overseas. i pay rent here, i buy food, electronics and more everyday. i am someone bring in more business to the locals around me and to the different places i visit as i permanently travel around. Not more or less than any other tourist do.

My only fault is that i am not 50 and that i can travel more then the ordinary 2 weeks a normal tourist do. that law makes no sense. of course for jobsworth following any rule it is as it is. but for people try to think logically the laws in its current version are at least incomplete.

and please, i dont want to hear again from someone that also the visa rules from european countrys are restrictive. they are. but different from europe if i run out of money here in thailand i cant expect to live on a government welfare here in thailand, i cant expect anything here, just the hell in the Immigration Detention Center will wait for me.

if they fear that foreigners work they could easily set up rules to proof where my money i spend is coming from. they do it with the people aged 50+ and there is no reason not to do it for the ones ages below 50.

Edited by zappalot

not the thais set the guideline. some politicians do.

so far no thai i talked to could understand why the thai government dont want people who can proof regular income from overseas. i pay rent here, i buy food, electronics and more everyday. i am someone bring in more business to the locals around me and to the different places i visit as i permanently travel around. Not more or less than any other tourist do.

My only fault is that i am not 50 and that i can travel more then the ordinary 2 weeks a normal tourist do. that law makes no sense. of course for jobsworth following any rule it is as it is. but for people try to think logically the laws in its current version are at least incomplete.

and please, i dont want to hear again from someone that also the visa rules from european countrys are restrictive. they are. but different from europe if i run out of money here in thailand i cant expect to live on a government welfare here in thailand, i cant expect anything here, just the hell in the Immigration Detention Center will wait for me.

if they fear that foreigners work they could easily set up rules to proof where my money i spend is coming from. they do it with the people aged 50+ and there is no reason not to do it for the ones ages below 50.

As stated above, you have options, you just choose not to use one of them. Why is it the Thais(they do have an elected government) problem if you don't want to meet their immigration guidelines? And by the way, are you staying in country more than 183 days? Submitting any necessary tax reports to the Thai government?

Like I said before, people can always apply at a different consulate if refused by one. And as I also said before, some people are like beggars, a person gets tired of giving to them, and when they refuse to give anymore then their the bad guy.

Edited by beechguy

i still have a valid visa in my passport, so i dont need to change anything. i just need to be flexible with my travels where to get which visa. that does not mean that i keep quiet or that i am happy with the current laws. but, lucky me, so far and because of incomplete laws i could use the law to fit to my needs - no need to change my live because of some stupid laws...

thx for the hint with the 183 days. since my gf is a tax adviser i am in best hands with that.

Edited by zappalot

I agree with Kuhn Z. above: The Thai Immigration laws do not make sense ... if one has sufficient funds and guarantees a minimum expenditure, one should be allowed as an extended tourist in the Kingdom. BTW the only country that I know has such a policy is the Kingdom of Bhutan where the minimum expenditure is $US 250 per day ... maybe those responsible persons in the Kingdom of Thailand should take note.

I agree with Kuhn Z. above: The Thai Immigration laws do not make sense ... if one has sufficient funds and guarantees a minimum expenditure, one should be allowed as an extended tourist in the Kingdom. BTW the only country that I know has such a policy is the Kingdom of Bhutan where the minimum expenditure is $US 250 per day ... maybe those responsible persons in the Kingdom of Thailand should take note.

Why should they take note just because of one country that probably very few want to visit?

Bhutan just requires that you spend minimum $US 250 per day on basic lodging, meals, a driver and various expenses ... You can and most likely will spend more ... at about $US 2000 per week they seem to be able to keep the slackers in check.

Bhutan just requires that you spend minimum $US 250 per day on basic lodging, meals, a driver and various expenses ... You can and most likely will spend more ... at about $US 2000 per week they seem to be able to keep the slackers in check.

Well this is one slacker they wouldn't have to worry about anyway!:D

I don't know of ANY country in the world that allows you to stay indefinitely as a perpetual tourist.

Maybe Thailand should be the first to issue an "S" class visa for Slackers.

no, but i know country's where u can stay for as long as u want, without having to show money, without having to proof a running business, without having to proof that u study anything, without forced to marry anyone.

Cambodia for example. just get a business visa and with the extension to one year for 280 us$ u dont need to leave the country. and u dont need to run a business or fulfill any requirements.

malaysia. no need for any visa for me as a german. hop in, stay 3 months, border run, game start again.

i dont care how they call me, tourist, businessman. i just want to stay, spend my money and want them to leave me alone as long as i make my living by my self without doing any work, without commit any crime.

just the circumstances that my gf has a good business here in bkk i am fixed to thailand... and for some good reason she dont want me to travel to cambodia to often...