Buddhism And Neuroscience

sabaijai

The problem with both neurolinguistic 'explanations' is that it describes a human as a biological organic machine.

The habit of explaining life out of a mechanic material view does not only show the absence of spirituality by the researcher/scientist but also the projection of this inner absence into an absence of spirituality in the world.

One can consider oneself to be just a biological machine subjected to pure organic /material laws, one can also look at oneself as a spiritual entity living inside a material body.

In other words, one can look at oneself as being a material instrument subjected to the laws of the materials the instrument is made of, one can also look at oneself being the spirit playing the instrument one has given disposal too by birth.

In the first situation one is a violin without music, suffering degradation by material laws, in the second situation one is the player playing and taking care the violin and making music.

I am afraid Buddhism is looked upon nowadays from a view, a way of pure material thinking, the nowadays 'modern' way of thinking.

The awareness of the world nowadays is material awareness and in general no spiritual awareness.

When Buddhism is considered - especially by western Buddhists - to be in accordance with modern science it is in fact telling it is in accordance with a pure material way of thinking.

The machine thinking machine toughts in a 'mechanical' way.

In my view Buddhism originally is no material way of thinking.

Buddha was no machine subjected or depending on the neuronal machinery working silently below the surface of his awareness. He was not subjected to neurons giving rise to his personality, memory, ability to plan, emotional valence and the emotional charges assigned to him, places, things, and goals. He was not subjected to having or loosing the functions of these neurons producing what the brain in this material view does: the production of our mind.

(Buddhism as a product of neurons? as a product of neurological chemical processes inside a material body?)

If he Buddha would have been, how would he ever could have escaped this since no machine is capable to repair itself out of its own laws of existence.

When a machine is repaired it is repaired by a power outside the laws of the materials and the processes of those materials out of wich it is made of, being the master of it.

To look upon this in the way neurologic science in both expanations tells, is a blunt denigration of Bhudda and every human.

To look upon this and to see Buddhism as similar as modern science is the downfall of Buddhism.

Then your view is totally wrong. Your last 2 sentenses showed it.

Anyone who don't see the science of Buddhism or some Buddhism in science is not even fit to discuss about science or Buddhism.

You have learnt nothing about Buddhism yet, so don't attempt to give your opinions of the Buddha or Buddhism.

It's your own downfall, not science or Buddhism.

I have asked you to tell us honestly if you are a christian or not but you refused to answe me.

You can never understand Buddhism if you do not free your mind from christianity.

Buddhism can accept christianity but christianity cannot accept Buddhism. This is the main reason why you will never understand Buddhism well and every posts of yours that only showed you try to undermine or disagree with Buddhism reviewed yoursxzelf well.

Edited by healthcaretaker

To close the topic.

Science is the research for what is what (Thatagata)

Why close it ? All topics should stay so those less knowledgeable people can learn from them. Especially topic like this that link science to Buddhism.

I

It's o.k. Don't understand my postings 100% seriously. Tan Buddhadasa in his Teaching used the Zen way (he was translator for Zen scirptures in Thai.)

Kick out people of their system to think, small provocation. I understand and love this way, but I have to learn more.

Thank you for your posting.

Edited by lungmi

The problem with both neurolinguistic 'explanations' is that it describes a human as a biological organic machine.

The habit of explaining life out of a mechanic material view does not only show the absence of spirituality by the researcher/scientist but also the projection of this inner absence into an absence of spirituality in the world.

One can consider oneself to be just a biological machine subjected to pure organic /material laws, one can also look at oneself as a spiritual entity living inside a material body.

In other words, one can look at oneself as being a material instrument subjected to the laws of the materials the instrument is made of, one can also look at oneself being the spirit playing the instrument one has given disposal too by birth.

In the first situation one is a violin without music, suffering degradation by material laws, in the second situation one is the player playing and taking care the violin and making music.

I am afraid Buddhism is looked upon nowadays from a view, a way of pure material thinking, the nowadays 'modern' way of thinking.

The awareness of the world nowadays is material awareness and in general no spiritual awareness.

When Buddhism is considered - especially by western Buddhists - to be in accordance with modern science it is in fact telling it is in accordance with a pure material way of thinking.

Buddha was no machine subjected or depending on the neuronal machinery working silently below the surface of his awareness. He was not subjected to neurons giving rise to his personality, memory, ability to plan, emotional valence and the emotional charges assigned to him, places, things, and goals. He was not subjected to having or loosing the functions of these neurons producing what the brain in this material view does: the production of our mind.

(Buddhism as a product of neurons? as a product of neurological chemical processes inside a material body?)

If he Buddha would have been, how would he ever could have escaped this since no machine is capable to repair itself out of its own laws of existence.

When a machine is repaired it is repaired by a power outside the laws of the materials and the processes of those materials out of wich it is made of, being the master of it.

To look upon this in the way neurologic science in both expanations tells, is a blunt denigration of Bhudda and every human.

To look upon this and to see Buddhism as similar as modern science is the downfall of Buddhism.

Anyone who don't see the science of Buddhism or some Buddhism in science is not even fit to discuss about science or Buddhism.

You have learnt nothing about Buddhism yet, so don't attempt to give your opinions of the Buddha or Buddhism.

I have asked you to tell us honestly if you are a christian or not but you refused to answe me.

You can never understand Buddhism if you do not free your mind from christianity.

Buddhism can accept christianity but christianity cannot accept Buddhism. This is the main reason why you will never understand Buddhism well and every posts of yours that only showed you try to undermine or disagree with Buddhism reviewed yoursxzelf well.

I wonder if we are in the situation Buddhism is glorified by telling it is the most scientific aproach in the world of the world or if we are in the situation the material way of modern thinking is glorified by using Buddhism to support this aproach of understanding and explaining the world.

I think we have reached the last stuation, Buddhism is used to support material thinking, a thinking wihtout spirit.

You are constantly asking me if I am a Christian. I do not think i can answer this question without you first telling me what this is. What is that a Christian?

I am aware this is not in line with the topic nor is it in line with Buddhism so I would understand and accept when this is not accepted as a topic overhere. So I wait and see.

You are constantly asking me if I am a Christian. I do not think i can answer this question without you first telling me what this is. What is that a Christian?

I am aware this is not in line with the topic nor is it in line with Buddhism so I would understand and accept when this is not accepted as a topic overhere. So I wait and see.

Don't change topic or find excuses to do so.

Refer to my message #31 above.

I wonder if we are in the situation Buddhism is glorified by telling it is the most scientific aproach in the world of the world or if we are in the situation the material way of modern thinking is glorified by using Buddhism to support this aproach of understanding and explaining the world.

I think we have reached the last stuation, Buddhism is used to support material thinking, a thinking wihtout spirit.

You are wrong again, in sevral ways.

Buddhism is not about glory and with over 2500 years in record and gaining stronger and more followers than ever, it need not be glorified.

It need not need science to confirm Buddhism either; although science in many ways are coherent to Buddhism.

Buddhism's teachings 2500 years ago and today are the same, no need for material way or modern thinking to understand or explain the world.

Buddhism is not meant for material thinking, only you thought so.

Buddhism is not without spirit.

Christiaan, you open by this two lines your intention in this forum.

--To look upon this in the way neurologic science in both expanations tells, is a blunt denigration of Bhudda and every human.

--To look upon this and to see Buddhism as similar as modern science is the downfall of Buddhism.

I translate: Darwin, a blunt denigration of God and every human.

Darwin and Buddhism is the downfall of ...........?

You are spy ,missionary, your fake interest for buddhism to suck the meaning of posters. (you said already, other posters know.)

and why?

You are member of a christian sect

whose name is "intelligent design"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_design

There's no evidence of a generalization like this. The vast majority of Buddhists in the world believe in a stream of existence which continues from one life to the next, and which is the closest you get to "spirit" in Buddhism. There is no soul.

Sorry, guys, but you're just not listening. Some posts have been deleted, one has been split off. Topic closed.

I've re-opened it again after a break for Makha Bucha Day and deleting some previous off-topic posts.

May I know what is Makha Bucha Day ? Anyone ? I am not from Thailand.

Oh, sorry, I just realise my above question is off-topic but I guess it should be alright :)

Edited by healthcaretaker

A good day, my wife starts to be maechi (nun) for one month,

everyone asks me (thai people) why you as husband allow it?

She is a free woman and me a free man. We understand. Enough.

Sorry I don't get it. Since you mentioned, may I ask which of you is Thai and which is non-Thai ? Or both are non-Thai ?:)

My wife is Sino-Thai, with Guan Im and Chinese background, she already has been maechi with the same teacher as FabianFred.

Mai pen Farang (born in Germany but no one asked me before if a wanted to be born in Germany)

Mai pen Thai.

Pen lungmi (uncle bear), born on the Earth, my home.

And the Teaching of the Buddha is a Teaching for the Earth.

She gives food to the ghosts, me to cats and dogs.

And we take care of all the babies around. Our understanding of Buddhism is the same, only some secondary "rituals" are different.

• 3 weeks later...