Farang Tuk Tuk Driver?

elektrified

This evening I pulled out of the Panthip Plaza parking lot and as I approached Chang Klan and Sridornchai at the red light, a tuk tuk pulled up along-side me. I looked over and the driver was a farang. He was perhaps in his late 60's with long gray/white hair pulled back into a pony tail, wearing horn-rimmed glasses. He looked like quite a character.

I thought driving a tuk tuk one of the jobs that farangs are prohibited from? I know about the guy in his 20's that does day tours. His situation is unique that he has a Thai ID.

I borrowed the tuktuk from a friend few times just for fun, actually bit's no fun at all to drive this crap. Different might be the "Skylab" the well decorated high model with 150cc engine like they use in Udontany/Nongkai. In Sansai there's an Australian living who owns one and you can meet him on the road sometimes.

electrified.

re ... looked over and the driver was a farang. He was perhaps in his late 60's with long gray/white hair pulled back into a pony tail

50s maybe ... late 60s ... nahh

if the tuk tuk looked like pic 1 ? it was probably the owner of c u corner bar in soi 1 moonmuang road out buying some beer .

if the tuk tuk looked like pic 2 .... ive no idea who he was

dave2

"in his late 60's with long gray/white hair"

Maybe born in Thailand.

Born before 1972 in Thailand and you have a Thai citizenship.

Really not that uncommon.

A lot of children from the military based in Thailand, embassy staff and some private companies.

I remember some mention of this before about a Farang tuk-tuk driver in CM and a quick search turned up:

Ask Paul Collins, the only licensed farang tuk tuk driver in Chiang Mai. Ask around. You'll find him.

Here's a 2008 article on him from Chiang Mai City Life

Edited by phaethon

The tuk tuk was for hire. It was the same tuk tuk as the others around town with a big sign on the back; this one advertising a Thai restaurant.

This guy was not Paul Collins who as I recall from the article in one of the local tourists magazines is in his 20's. This guy was much, much older.

This evening I pulled out of the Panthip Plaza parking lot and as I approached Chang Klan and Sridornchai at the red light, a tuk tuk pulled up along-side me. I looked over and the driver was a farang. He was perhaps in his late 60's with long gray/white hair pulled back into a pony tail, wearing horn-rimmed glasses. He looked like quite a character.

Well the Polar ice is melting, maybe Santa is looking for new digs. If he has been here more than a week or two I'm sure the reindeer have been eaten already, so a Tuk Tuk makes sense.

In 30 years I've come across maybe 10 guys driving taxis in Bkk who look full farang.

A couple of times a conversation has revealed that they are half Thai / half farang, but farang features more prominent.

Could be.

Or as PoorSucker pointed out..."Maybe born in Thailand. Born before 1972 in Thailand and you have a Thai citizenship. Really not that uncommon. A lot of children from the military based in Thailand, embassy staff and some private companies."

Any way it was an unusual sight in Chiang Mai - or I would imagine anywhere in Thailand. The Thais in the car with me were all surprised as well.