Cambodian, Thai Troops Clash Near Disputed Temple

webfact

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

www.ctn.com.kh My gf like to watch CTN. However it is block now. I ask her not to leave the condo (just stay in bed), as her ascent is such a give away. Any way we have stock enough food in our fridge for a romantic weekend.

Do you mean blocked in Cambodia?

Because I can access it without any difficulty whatsoever here in Thailand.

btw, there's a lot of gunfire going on in the background during their interview with a reporter on the scene.

Edited by Buchholz

"The Khmer are battle hard. They have fought a war till 15 years ago. They are holding the highland. Good luck with it. "

The high ground is all on the Thai side and if it came to a war the Cambodians would be slaughtered in days, get your facts right before letting your hatred for the country that you live in run away with you.

I think if all the high ground was Thai then there would be no dispute. The problem is that the French put a bite of high ground on the Khmer side - round the temple they wanted to explore.

looking at the border from the temple it is clear nonsense where they drew the line. Shall we ask them to come back and say sorry?

www.ctn.com.kh My gf like to watch CTN. However it is block now. I ask her not to leave the condo (just stay in bed), as her ascent is such a give away. Any way we have stock enough food in our fridge for a romantic weekend.

btw, there's a lot of gunfire going on in the background during their interview with a reporter on the scene.

Don't spoil his fun.

Supreme Commander Plays Down Border Rifts

The supreme commander insists the current border disputes with Cambodia must rely on negotiations.

He also affirms the Thai-Cambodian border situation remains usual, but the interview was given before a border clash broke out.

Before news reports on the border clash between Thai and Cambodian troops came out, Supreme Commander General Songkitti Jaggabatara said the Thai-Cambodian border situation is still usual and the two countries has continued to conduct talks under various frames, including at the levels of the joint border committee and the present meeting of the joint committee on bilateral cooperation in Cambodia's Siem Reap province.

Songkitti said the negotiations have helped improve the situation and insisted no country wants war.

He added international issues should not be raised for domestic political moves as that may increase border tension.

He urged all parties to place priority on national interest while declining to comment on the registration of the Preah Vihear disputed area as a Thai-Cambodian joint World Heritage site.

Songkitti took part in a meeting with armed forces commanders and the national police chief today.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-02-04

footer_n.gif

Using True in Bangkok the CTN site is accessible.

I am in Bangkok now, leave on the 11th. Should I leave earlier than that? this clash thing is just a small conflict.....won't turn into or affect us tourists will it

To the one poster who gave a sensible answer, thank you. You will get varying opinions from different people, but I would not change my plans unless things escalate significantly and seriously. If you are in BKK and planning on staying in the area of BKK you should be OK. The biggest problem you face is probably unexpected developments and demonstrations in BKK.

As some posters have mentioned, these skirmishes come and go. The ante might be a little higher, so keep your eyes open.

Have a nice holiday and feel free to drop into the forum for updates.

5 Thai soldiers reported injured by shrapnel. Border hospitals given full-alert order. /RT @tulsathit: TR @news1005fm

Cambodian Foreign Ministry sending protest to UN accusing Thailand of encroaching, damaging Preah Vihear. /RT @tulsathit: TR @news1005fm:

Thai Patriots Network asks Abhisit govt to resign to show responsibility for border clash. /RT @tulsathit: RT @Kom_chad_luek:

screen captures of CTN with a lot of smoke in the area and the Cambodian flag in the 2nd

ctn1.png

ctn2.png

Ten Cambodian artillery shells fall into Thailand's Si Sa Ket border area near Preah Vihear temple; Thai troops tighten security along border MCOT

When Cambodians fire shells, it's oysters and mussels only. They don't have the same budget than on the other side.

Simple mind, please challenge the Cambodian army and go into their mortar shelling area and see how much your smart body will look like oysters and mussels... Mortars and shells have nothing to do with budget! The Thai army has to face experienced Khmer Rouge soldiers who have been familiar with weapons and warfare ever since they were born and who know the area like no other Thai soldier (because it's their land). Thai soldiers are pale persons and trainees compared to them, but it is admitted that they have more performing weaponry, just like the Zionist high-tech army against the Palestinians with their first generation rocketery and their army of stone-throwers...

Edited by dude007

y

Seriously, this is just like two kids fighting over a (broken) toy - neither really wants it, but both are determined the other won't have it...

Here's a suggestion: bomb the pile of bricks into dust - problem goes away.

:jap:

Whether either side really wants it depends on whom you ask.

However, both really want the tourist income that it generates, for sure.

"The Khmer are battle hard. They have fought a war till 15 years ago. They are holding the highland. Good luck with it. "

The high ground is all on the Thai side and if it came to a war the Cambodians would be slaughtered in days, get your facts right before letting your hatred for the country that you live in run away with you.

I think if all the high ground was Thai then there would be no dispute. The problem is that the French put a bite of high ground on the Khmer side - round the temple they wanted to explore.

looking at the border from the temple it is clear nonsense where they drew the line. Shall we ask them to come back and say sorry?

We read that 100 times already.

I'm sorry to tell that but it does make any sense.

We cannot deal again and again. The border is maybe not perfect but it's like that.

It's like if we, French, wanted to take back all the Louisiana and half of the USA that Napoleon sold and that the USA never paid. No sense at all.

Preah Vihar is Cambodian since more than 100 years. Too late to negotiate. If Thailand wants it, and PAD is right on this point, Thailand has to make a real war. Not sure the other countries will accept that.

Ten Cambodian artillery shells fall into Thailand's Si Sa Ket border area near Preah Vihear temple; Thai troops tighten security along border MCOT

When Cambodians fire shells, it's oysters and mussels only. They don't have the same budget than on the other side.

Simple mind, please challenge the Cambodian army and go into their mortar shelling area and see how much your smart body will look like oysters and mussels... Mortars and shells have nothing to do with budget! The Thai army has to face experienced Khmer Rouge soldiers who have been familiar with weapons and warfare ever since they were born and who know the area like no other Thai soldier (because it's their land). Thai soldiers are pale persons and trainees compared to them, but it is admitted that they have more performing weaponry, just like the Zionist high-tech army against the Palestinians with their first generation rocketery and their army of stone-throwers...

I agree with you.

My post was just a joke. Maybe poor...

For me, who is not an English speaker, this story of "shells" and "shells" is funny.

When the report says that shells landed on thai soil, did they land on Thai soil or just what thailand believes is Thai soil?

RANDOM - Historically, places like Angkor, Siam Reap, Siam Pang, Prah Tahbang, (batambang), et. al are Thai soil. Preah Vihear is about 100 miles inside the border Siam had for 550 years - before the French took the area. I highly recommend you read a little history or look at a few old Dutch, Spanish or even French Maps...LOL

When the report says that shells landed on thai soil, did they land on Thai soil or just what thailand believes is Thai soil?

RANDOM - Historically, places like Angkor, Siam Reap, Siam Pang, Prah Tahbang, (batambang), et. al are Thai soil. Preah Vihear is about 100 miles inside the border Siam had for 550 years - before the French took the area. I highly recommend you read a little history or look at a few old Dutch, Spanish or even French Maps...LOL

We cannot deal again and again. The border is maybe not perfect but it's like that.

It's like if we, French, wanted to take back all the Louisiana and half of the USA that Napoleon sold and that the USA never paid. No sense at all.

Preah Vihar is Cambodian since more than 100 years. Too late to negotiate. If Thailand wants it, and PAD is right on this point, Thailand has to make a real war. Not sure the other countries will accept that.

The only reason for a real shooting war is to grab the southern border and redraw the oil rights boundaries off shore. Nothing else even vaguely warrants this, and even this is only for greed and national interests in energy... granted this is EXACTLY the type of thing nations have gone to war over, using some flimsy pretext as an excuse, but never, or rarely nakedly saying we want those resources.

Edited by animatic

What next?

The government won't be able to handle it, Its different fighting with another country as opposed to slaughtering your own civilians, the army will come out and say the government don't know how to handle it, and then fast forward to the coup that we all know is coming based on the reds coming back into power at the next election, and a desire by the elite to stop that at all costs.

yeah that is the state of affairs....thailand is not egypt....

Seriously, this is just like two kids fighting over a (broken) toy - neither really wants it, but both are determined the other won't have it...

That's what the Thais are actually doing: although they claim ownership of this pagoda. I was there some time ago (driving up from the Cambodian side: I have seen this pagoda for at leats 6 times and therefore can compare) and the damage to the structures (from Thai shelling) and bullit holes is beyond repair. What kind of territorial claim is this? Rather destroy the sanctuary than let it to the other party: that's the main objective now! Poor mind...

I thought that the idea of the French saying sorry was quite funny. It seems I was right.

Guess each side marked their tree, shot off some excess ammo, (or ran out) so back to the barracks to write up a nice CYA report, and continue on as before. I wonder if this will qualify those involved for a combat ribbon to add to their collection?

That's what the Thais are actually doing: although they claim ownership of this pagoda. I was there some time ago (driving up from the Cambodian side: I have seen this pagoda for at leats 6 times and therefore can compare) and the damage to the structures (from Thai shelling) and bullit holes is beyond repair. What kind of territorial claim is this? Rather destroy the sanctuary than let it to the other party: that's the main objective now! Poor mind...

Could it be the exact definition of imbecility?