Cambodian, Thai Troops Clash Near Disputed Temple

webfact

This a perfect time for the Thai Education minister to declare Cambodian as the new 2nd language rather than English !

This is a perfect time for the new immigration rule admitting expats into the kingdom base on IQ :)

Is my IQ under attack, as well as the border or just my sarcastic comment?

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai Troops Detained by Cambodian Forces

UPDATE : 4 February 2011

The Cambodian press has been reported that Thai tanks have been seized and five Thai troops have been captured while more Thai soldiers are preparing to surrender.

Thai Army Spokesman Colonel Sansern Kaewkamnerd has confirmed the report about the detention of Thai soldiers by Cambodian troops via an interview with Channel 5.

TAN Network

No I understand the 770 BN Army budget for new tanks - they planned to threw the old ones to Cambodians ... :)

#FM 101 Col Sansern affirms 1 Thai soldier injured in clash /TAN_Network

Cambodian TV says Thais entered Cambodia near disputed temple, discussions failed, warning shots fired, & Thais opened fire. /RT @terryfrd:

#TPBS Director of Ban Phumisarol School says large crater from artillery shell in front of school gates, 4 houses on fire /TAN_Network

Local official says fire started, not by a shell, but by something more like a large firecracker. 4 houses on fire. /Thai PBS /RT @terryfrd:

#Channel 3 Col Sansern: gunfire originated from Preah Vihear Temple, hitting Mor E Daeng cliff and Kaew Sikkha Khiri Sawara Temple /TAN_Network

#Channel 3 Col Sansern: artillery fire has ended, sporadic gunfire; negotiations will have to be carried out /TAN_Network

Army Spokesman: Sporadic Gunfire Left

Army Spokesman Colonel Sansern Kaewkamnerd spoke on Channel 3 that artillery fire at the Thai-Cambodian border has ceased and what remains is sporadic gunfire.

He said what is next will have to be negotiations between the 2 countries.

There have been reports of minor damages, including a blaze at 4 houses on the Thai side.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-02-04

footer_n.gif

#Channel 3 Col Sansern: gunfire originated from Preah Vihear Temple, hitting Mor E Daeng cliff and Kaew Sikkha Khiri Sawara Temple /TAN_Network

Did it knock the Cambodian flag off? :unsure:

Thailand ready to protect sovereignty

BANGKOK, 30 January 2011 (NNT)-Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said the government will expedite the removal of the Cambodian flag at Kaew Sikkha Khiri Savara temple which sparks anger among Thai people while also instructing the Foreign Ministry to respond to the earlier statement made by Cambodia.

#TNN Ban Phumisarol deputy village head claims at least 1 local dead from Thai-Cambodian troop clash; villagers evacuated already /TAN_Network

Phuyaibaan says this is the first time he has experienced anything like this. Police vehicles have been evacuating villagers. /RT @terryfrd:

Phuyaibaan says they need more help in putting out fires. Have only one firetruck there so far. 100 ppl involved in effort. /RT @terryfrd:

Thai, Cambodian troops in deadly clash near temple

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thai and Cambodian soldiers exchanged fire on a disputed stretch of their border on Friday, authorities said, the latest flare-up in an ancient feud over territory surrounding a 900-year-old Hindu temple.

Cambodian police said two Cambodian soldiers had been killed and two wounded, the first fatalities in the militarized border area since a Thai soldier was shot dead on January 31 last year. Thai media said two or three Thai soldiers had been wounded.

Shelling began at about 3 p.m. (0800 GMT) and continued into early evening, military officials and witnesses said. Artillery shells landed at Huay Thip village on the Thai side but there were no reports Thai fatalities, a witness said.

Five Thai soldiers had been captured, said army spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd.

"There is sporadic shelling but details are very sketchy at this point," said another Thai army official.

Both sides accused each other of firing first in the 4.6-sq-km (two-sq-mile) disputed area around Preah Vihear temple, a jungle-clad escarpment claimed by both Southeast Asian countries and the scene of sporadic, deadly clashes in recent years.

Pathetic that the two countries can't sort this out through dialogue.

There is a dialog through the JB Commission. The point is that Thais block the Commission: the reports of the meetings have to be approved by the Thai Senate but the Senate REFUSE to even read them.

Too bad because the members of this Commission are working well. In a couple of years, it would be over BUT some people in Thailand (Yellow and friends) do not want any agreement between the two countries.

Cambodian TV reports that four thai troops captured and two thai tanks damaged,confirmed by thais.

Thais were building a road in disputed territory and were asked to stop.

Khmers opened up-bewdy.

PAD wants a war and we will give it to them.

Khmers very well equipped and thai troops good at killing civilians and thats all.

They hate it when people shoot back.

Hun sen has everything to gain,chinese and viets would love to give the cheeky thais a bloody nose.

Bring it on.

I am in Bangkok now, leave on the 11th. Should I leave earlier than that?

You should run.

Cambodian army could enter in Bangkok within a couple of days.

Khmer fighters do not make any prisoner.

They used to rape and behead any girl and handsome man. Are you handsome?

What next?

The government won't be able to handle it, Its different fighting with another country as opposed to slaughtering your own civilians, the army will come out and say the government don't know how to handle it, and then fast forward to the coup that we all know is coming based on the reds coming back into power at the next election, and a desire by the elite to stop that at all costs.

Couldn't (DIS)agree with you more on everything in your posting!!!!!

Totally agree with your posting. Random nailed it on the head, I think amongst my ramblings yestreday I pointed out this scenario but dont want any credit,

Cambodian TV reports that four thai troops captured and two thai tanks damaged,confirmed by thais.

Khmers opened up-bewdy.

Khmers very well equipped and thai troops good at killing civilians and thats all.

Hun sen has everything to gain,chinese and viets would love to give the cheeky thais a bloody nose.

Bring it on.

A warm welcome for this new member 'kandalgirl'. A bit militant attitude. Just wonder if we had someone banned recently ;)

I am in Bangkok now, leave on the 11th. Should I leave earlier than that? this clash thing is just a small conflict.....won't turn into or affect us tourists will it

Nah,don`t worry about it.In the grand scheme of things,this is just a bit of a squabble.Where I live,none of the local yokels are even interested.

Khmers opened up-bewdy.

Bring it on.

"Thais were building a road in disputed territory and were asked to stop."

Actually, I think it was the Cambodians building roads.

What next?

The government won't be able to handle it, Its different fighting with another country as opposed to slaughtering your own civilians, the army will come out and say the government don't know how to handle it, and then fast forward to the coup that we all know is coming based on the reds coming back into power at the next election, and a desire by the elite to stop that at all costs.

Certainly seems to have chosen himself an apt name.

Khmers opened up-bewdy.

Bring it on.

A warm welcome for this new member 'kandalgirl'. A bit militant attitude. Just wonder if we had someone banned recently ;)

For your information, Rubl, Kandal is a province around Phnom Penh. The more famous Kandal inhabitant is Hun Sen.

Just curious, Kandalgirl, where are you located indeed? If you are in Cambodia, it's good to see that Khmers from Cambodia enter this forum. You are courageous.

Now, Rubl is right, be careful, don't go to too far.

What next?

Totally agree with your posting. Random nailed it on the head, I think amongst my ramblings yestreday I pointed out this scenario but dont want any credit,

I also have dreams, but I will not bother you with them. Random has the tendency to state his as fact, rather than imagination or opinion. Only thing missing with 'the coup we all know is coming' was 'obviously'. Still wonder who those 'we' are.

Anyway if only we could manage to stop PAD, TPN and other fools from shouting, we may have peace in no time. Mind you, these border clashes seem to come as regular as protests ;)

What next?

:lol: You agree with Steve "DISagree"ing with everything random posted!!

You should run.

That's how CNN and BBC will report it soon.

Better get out of Thailand fast ;)

I think Suiken was asking a serious question... and looking for a serious answer... not a joking retort...

The only thing anyone in BKK has to worry about is if the Yellow shirts decide to take over the airport again.... or the airport concession crazies go on another rampage because they don't want to lose their airport gravy train.

I wouldn't put Cambodians high on the list of worries for BKK right now.

You should run.

"The Khmer are battle hard. They have fought a war till 15 years ago. They are holding the highland. Good luck with it. "

The high ground is all on the Thai side and if it came to a war the Cambodians would be slaughtered in days, get your facts right before letting your hatred for the country that you live in run away with you.

No hatred of Thailand on my part. I love the country and people, but YOU need to get a few things straight. First, the only "war" experience the Thai military has in recent history was the Thai-Lao Border War of 1988, in which the vaunted, and much superior Thai army invaded and took over village of Ban Romklao, only to be chased out that night by the Lao, a country whose entire population is about the same as BKK.

Cambodia has had years of fighting, with many well seasoned officers and troops, whereas Thailand has zero. And the fact that the Thai military is bigger and better equipped is NO guarantee of any victory. I'm an American, retired Marine, and 2 tour Vietnam vet, so I know exactly what I'm talking about in that. You also have to consider the fact that China has been, for a number of year now, pouring the latest weapons and weapons systems into Cambodia, and in any clash between Thailand and Cambodia, Vietnam and China will side with Cambodia, as would, most likely, Lao.

The Thai military looks great on paper, but armies don't win battles on paper, they win them in the field. In a contest between a large, untested military against a smaller, battle seasoned one, I'll put my money on the "little guy". So I would say your comments about it being a "slaughter" are somewhat delusional and highly overrated. Or perhaps you're merely suffering from the well known malady of "Thai Superiority" thinking.

Edited by Just1Voice

easy to treat this as a joke . . . but are there any BMs living in this area?

We're south of Aranyaprathet/PoiPet, the family here have very clear memories of fighting, landmines, refugee camps, people fleeing Khmer Rouge, as recent as 1994..

Incidents like this worry them.

Fair enough too.

Thai, Cambodian Troops Clash at Border

The army spokesman has confirmed that an armed clash has broken out at the Thai-Cambodian border in Si Sa Ket province after Cambodian troops fired rockets into the Thai soil.

Army Spokesman Colonel Sansern Kaewkumnerd confirmed with news media this afternoon that Thai troops exchanged fire with Cambodian soldiers stationed along the border in Si Sa Ket province.

Reports also said that both Thai and Cambodian troops exchanged fire with various types of heavy weapons and the fighting could be heard at Baan Phumsarol in Sao Thongchai subdistrict of Si Sa Ket's Kantharalak district.

Sansern also explained that Thai troops shot back in response to Cambodian soldiers' firing of rockets into the Thai soil.

The clash so far has reportedly caused minor forest fires as well as prompted evacuation of border villages.

Earlier today, tension was apparent from the disputed Preah Vihear Temple down to the border in Buri Ram province and the Ta Muanthom Temple in Surin's Phanom Dungrak district after the Second Army Region found unusually high military activity at the Cambodian border army camp last night.

Members of the press have been closely monitoring the activities of Cambodian troops throughout the morning and found that the army camp has been very quiet.

Upon investigation, the Cambodian military unit under the command of Colonel Nea Wong has mobilized to reinforce troops posted at the Udonmechai province opposite Surin's Baan Kruad district.

The Second Army Region has responded by mobilizing its troops and heavy artillery as a precaution against a possible confrontation.

An army intelligence source claimed Cambodian border troops posted at the Ta Muanthom Temple have been trying to provoke Thai troops into firing its weapons first, but the latter have been ordered to exercise extreme patience and endure the provocation.

Meanwhile, at the Jom O Samed border checkpoin in Surin's Kabcherng district, the Paramilitary Task Force 26 of the Second Army Region has been conducting strict inspection on individuals crossing the border in order to ensure safety and prevent possible instigators from escalating the already tense situation.

Nonetheless, there have been no reports of unusual activities at the Ta Muanthom and Ta Kwai Temples as tourists are still permitted into the temple grounds.

Border trade at Kabcherng's Chongjom Market has been normal with a dip in both Thai and Cambodian vendors who fear for their safety.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-02-04

footer_n.gif