Cambodian, Thai Troops Clash Near Disputed Temple

webfact

"The Khmer are battle hard. They have fought a war till 15 years ago. They are holding the highland. Good luck with it. "

The high ground is all on the Thai side and if it came to a war the Cambodians would be slaughtered in days, get your facts right before letting your hatred for the country that you live in run away with you.

I think if all the high ground was Thai then there would be no dispute. The problem is that the French put a bite of high ground on the Khmer side - round the temple they wanted to explore.

looking at the border from the temple it is clear nonsense where they drew the line. Shall we ask them to come back and say sorry?

We read that 100 times already.

I'm sorry to tell that but it does make any sense.

We cannot deal again and again. The border is maybe not perfect but it's like that.

It's like if we, French, wanted to take back all the Louisiana and half of the USA that Napoleon sold and that the USA never paid. No sense at all.

Preah Vihar is Cambodian since more than 100 years. Too late to negotiate. If Thailand wants it, and PAD is right on this point, Thailand has to make a real war. Not sure the other countries will accept that.

I thought that the idea of the French saying sorry was quite funny. It seems I was right.

No, you are wrong.

I can write "sorry" and kneel in front of you. You could even whip me and all the French, this will not change the border.

Now, if you'll feel better if I apologize, I can do that for you.

Edited by geovalin

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PM told reporters to wait for an official press conference from the Army about today's border clashes /RT @TAN_Network: INN:

Cambodian defence minister: 2 Thai tanks had been hit. /RT @tulsathit: TR @ktnews

Reports of Cambodian troop reinforcement, heavy weaponry close to Ta Muen Thom, Ta Kwai temples allegedly to gain control /TAN_Network

What next?

The government won't be able to handle it, Its different fighting with another country as opposed to slaughtering your own civilians, the army will come out and say the government don't know how to handle it, and then fast forward to the coup that we all know is coming based on the reds coming back into power at the next election, and a desire by the elite to stop that at all costs.

This should read being slaughtered by Cambodians. When has the thai military ever acquited then selves in battle.

Yes thats true - they are so used to killing unarmed civilians - they might be a bit surprised that somebody is actually shooting back at them - killing unarmed civilians with war waepons - or suffocating them on trucks and never being held accountable is a real difficult task for any armed forces .

Last time they encountered an enemy who shot back was in Laos - where they showed the glorious Thai army how to beat them in "flip-flops" many of them did not even wear shoes when they chased them of the hill - ups if memory serves me right - that was after the glorious Thai air force dropped bombs on their own ! But that is of course banned reading and not in the selective history teachings here.

Lets face it the Thai armed forces are a sorry excuse for an in politics meddling business enterprise - with not much else to show! Their entire leadership is an insult to any real professional law abiding soldier wherever they are in the world!

"The Khmer are battle hard. They have fought a war till 15 years ago. They are holding the highland. Good luck with it. "

The high ground is all on the Thai side and if it came to a war the Cambodians would be slaughtered in days, get your facts right before letting your hatred for the country that you live in run away with you.

No hatred of Thailand on my part. I love the country and people, but YOU need to get a few things straight. First, the only "war" experience the Thai military has in recent history was the Thai-Lao Border War of 1988, in which the vaunted, and much superior Thai army invaded and took over village of Ban Romklao, only to be chased out that night by the Lao, a country whose entire population is about the same as BKK.

Cambodia has had years of fighting, with many well seasoned officers and troops, whereas Thailand has zero. And the fact that the Thai military is bigger and better equipped is NO guarantee of any victory. I'm an American, retired Marine, and 2 tour Vietnam vet, so I know exactly what I'm talking about in that. You also have to consider the fact that China has been, for a number of year now, pouring the latest weapons and weapons systems into Cambodia, and in any clash between Thailand and Cambodia, Vietnam and China will side with Cambodia, as would, most likely, Lao.

The Thai military looks great on paper, but armies don't win battles on paper, they win them in the field. In a contest between a large, untested military against a smaller, battle seasoned one, I'll put my money on the "little guy". So I would say your comments about it being a "slaughter" are somewhat delusional and highly overrated. Or perhaps you're merely suffering from the well known malady of "Thai Superiority" thinking.

High ground! I seem to remember you mentioning it, have you been there? Cambodia would be sitting ducks due to the geography. And if you seriously think China would take up arms against Thailand then you are deluded. This would be a skirmish in which Thailand would prevail in days due to the lie of the land. Laos border war was a totally different scenario, take a look at an OS map of the area and then see if you disagree.

Guess we really need to buy those tanks, guns and bullet-proof vests now Somchai. :whistling:

While we're in the market, let's get those new generation submarines as well. :rolleyes:

Yep! and not to forget those fighter aircraft.....................just pray to buddha that no real soldiers attack ! Its easier with unarmed protesters.

I am in Bangkok now, leave on the 11th. Should I leave earlier than that?

You should run.

Cambodian army could enter in Bangkok within a couple of days.

Khmer fighters do not make any prisoner.

They used to rape and behead any girl and handsome man. Are you handsome?

LOL :)

I do think, however, that some handsome men might survive a rendevouz with the khmer.

Particularly those dressed in red with gf's from Isaan and who know a word or two in the khmen language.

So.. if you're one of those, hold your gf's hand, wave a "Dr T"-flag and scream "Proh Khmeen Sa-beeauum" and you should be alright.

But make sure you say it right, if you say "sa-boom" in stead of "sa-beeauum" you might be in trouble.

Obviously, ugly guys can ignore all of this.

We read that 100 times already.

I'm sorry to tell that but it does make any sense.

We cannot deal again and again. The border is maybe not perfect but it's like that.

It's like if we, French, wanted to take back all the Louisiana and half of the USA that Napoleon sold and that the USA never paid. No sense at all.

Preah Vihar is Cambodian since more than 100 years. Too late to negotiate. If Thailand wants it, and PAD is right on this point, Thailand has to make a real war. Not sure the other countries will accept that.

I thought that the idea of the French saying sorry was quite funny. It seems I was right.

No, you are wrong.

I can write "sorry" and kneel in front of you. You could even whip me and all the French, this will not change the border.

Now, if you'll feel better if I apologize, I can do that for you.

Come on, please, I was not serious!

I did not intend to suggest that the French were the only European power that behaved negligently. We, the English certainly did. My wife reminds me often how we took land in the north and south of Thailand when we were there.

I am sorry if I upset you.

What next?

The government won't be able to handle it, Its different fighting with another country as opposed to slaughtering your own civilians, the army will come out and say the government don't know how to handle it, and then fast forward to the coup that we all know is coming based on the reds coming back into power at the next election, and a desire by the elite to stop that at all costs.

"The elite"? Are you serious?

Anyone, or any group, that controls a colored coded bewildered herd is "the elite", red or yellow.

Seriously, this is just like two kids fighting over a (broken) toy - neither really wants it, but both are determined the other won't have it...

Here's a suggestion: bomb the pile of bricks into dust - problem goes away.

:jap:

That's what the Thais are actually doing: although they claim ownership of this pagoda. I was there some time ago (driving up from the Cambodian side: I have seen this pagoda for at leats 6 times and therefore can compare) and the damage to the structures (from Thai shelling) and bullit holes is beyond repair. What kind of territorial claim is this? Rather destroy the sanctuary than let it to the other party: that's the main objective now! Poor mind...

Right! - let's simply ask the Cambodians to hand it over. I'm sure they'd prefer to keep it intact under Thai ownership rather than having the Sanctuary destroyed.

Col Sansern: authorities trying to contain situation and end clash as both sides claimed the other fired first /TAN_Newtork

Col Sansern: clashes still ongoing /TAN_Newtork

Col. Sanders: authorities trying to contain situation and end clash as both sides claimed the other fired first on TAN Newtork.

Col. Sanders: clashes still ongoing with TAN Newtork

whose gonna get the pagoda and who is gonna get the chickens?!??! I cant stand the suspense.

CH3 reporter on scene says clash began about 3pm and is still continuing at this moment. /via@terryfrd

Reporters said gunfire sounded like both artillery as well as assault rifles. /RT @tulsathit: /RT @Neaw_NBC:

CH 3 reporter says he can hear fighting very clearly w. artillery and smaller weapons being used. /via@terryfrd

Hope that no international media reporters get in there as they might collect a Thai Army bullet.

Seriously, this is just like two kids fighting over a (broken) toy - neither really wants it, but both are determined the other won't have it...

Here's a suggestion: bomb the pile of bricks into dust - problem goes away.

:jap:

That's what the Thais are actually doing: although they claim ownership of this pagoda. I was there some time ago (driving up from the Cambodian side: I have seen this pagoda for at leats 6 times and therefore can compare) and the damage to the structures (from Thai shelling) and bullit holes is beyond repair. What kind of territorial claim is this? Rather destroy the sanctuary than let it to the other party: that's the main objective now! Poor mind...

We need the wisdom of Solomon here.

I have not visited the site for many years, if Thailand has done as you say then that is... Words fail me.

No hatred of Thailand on my part. I love the country and people, but YOU need to get a few things straight. First, the only "war" experience the Thai military has in recent history was the Thai-Lao Border War of 1988, in which the vaunted, and much superior Thai army invaded and took over village of Ban Romklao, only to be chased out that night by the Lao, a country whose entire population is about the same as BKK.

Cambodia has had years of fighting, with many well seasoned officers and troops, whereas Thailand has zero. And the fact that the Thai military is bigger and better equipped is NO guarantee of any victory. I'm an American, retired Marine, and 2 tour Vietnam vet, so I know exactly what I'm talking about in that. You also have to consider the fact that China has been, for a number of year now, pouring the latest weapons and weapons systems into Cambodia, and in any clash between Thailand and Cambodia, Vietnam and China will side with Cambodia, as would, most likely, Lao.

The Thai military looks great on paper, but armies don't win battles on paper, they win them in the field. In a contest between a large, untested military against a smaller, battle seasoned one, I'll put my money on the "little guy". So I would say your comments about it being a "slaughter" are somewhat delusional and highly overrated. Or perhaps you're merely suffering from the well known malady of "Thai Superiority" thinking.

High ground! I seem to remember you mentioning it, have you been there? Cambodia would be sitting ducks due to the geography. And if you seriously think China would take up arms against Thailand then you are deluded. This would be a skirmish in which Thailand would prevail in days due to the lie of the land. Laos border war was a totally different scenario, take a look at an OS map of the area and then see if you disagree.

You really should learn to comprehend what you read. I said China and Vietnam would SIDE with Cambodia which, in any normal conversation, the comprehension would be to understand that they would SUPPORT Cambodia. I never mentioned anything about China "taking up arms" against Thailand. They don't have to, as they've been supplying Cambodian troops with all the latest military technology, and training on how to use it. And I notice you didn't comment about Vietnam, which HAS signed a treaty for "joint support and defense" with Cambodia (as has Lao), but not with Thailand, and they (Vietnam) have an "old bone" to pick with Thailand. And in this day of modern technology, geographical "high ground" doesn't mean squat. I stand by my comments that Thailand would face major problems if they seriously went to war with Cambodia, because it would be a war they could not hope to win.

International condemnation would be piled on them for being the "bully" picking on a smaller country over an issue that was settled by the ICJ years ago, in which Thailand lost the case, and even though they had 7 years to appeal, they didn't bother because they knew the outcome, and a second loss of "face" in the international community would be too much to bear. Add to that the fact that while the Cambodian military was engaged with the Thai military, Cambodian agents would also target BKK, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Pattaya and other major tourist destinations with a rash of bombs and killings that would totally destroy Thailand's tourism industry. BKK could end up looking like Beirut, or Cairo does now, with car bombs and other forms of destruction.

The Thai military may be bigger, and have more "toys", but lack any form of experience in actual combat, as apposed to Cambodia's smaller, but well trained military. Thai vs Cambodia? I'm still putting my money on Cambodia. Today is a good example. Cambodian forces captured Thai solders AND a Thai tank. Oh, yeah, really good these Thai. lol.

What next?

This should read being slaughtered by Cambodians. When has the thai military ever acquited then selves in battle.

Well they were in both the Korean conflict and Vietnam, I think we lost both of those.

Swot up on your history mate ! I was in the Korean war and we certainly did NOT loose that one. Thats an insult from someone who was obviously just a baby ( if even around) in the 50's.

Thai civilian killed in border clash: official

BANGKOK, February 4, 2011 (AFP) - A Thai civilian was killed Friday as Thai and Cambodian troops clashed near a disputed temple on the two countries' shared border, Thailand's health minister said.

A villager was killed by artillery shelling and five Thai soldiers were injured in the fighting, public health minister Jurin Laksanawisit said.

"I have ordered the hospitals along the border to be on standby," he said.

Both Thailand and Cambodia accused the other of starting the fighting near the ancient Preah Vihear temple area, which is claimed by both countries.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-02-04

The even has already gone worldwide, just few mins ago it was on BBC. Apparently according to Thai authority's the fighting was a misunderstanding and they are negotiating right now.

Perfect excuse for Thai army to get that extra money that they wanted

www.ctn.com.kh My gf like to watch CTN. However it is block now. I ask her not to leave the condo (just stay in bed), as her ascent is such a give away. Any way we have stock enough food in our fridge for a romantic weekend.
Do you mean blocked in Cambodia? >Because I can access it without any difficulty whatsoever here in Thailand. btw, there's a lot of gunfire going on in the background during their interview with a reporter on the scene.

We are in Phetburi Road Bangkok. CTN is now back after 2 hr of blackout. I suppose their website isn't design to receive traffic surge. She she is glue to the box and I can't get her back to bed. I think I need more beer. Where that's darn cap opener?

Sorry to dissapoint you just1voice But this Army is by far superior. They have wonderful wands to detect bombs. they have brilliant airships for survelliance. And when they want to disperse a mob they take anti aircraft guns{which the mob took from them}. So maybe they could transport a Sub to the area to deal with the cambodians. But just be careful the brass do not shoot each other.

:D:D

PBS reporter was reporting from a village, 2 minutes ago when a series of suspected artillery shells hit abt 70 m. away. Loud! /via@terryfrd

SUSPECTED artillery shells ???.....................has anybody there ever seen artillery rounds falling. I can guarantee there would be no suspicions whatsoever ! its bloody frightening.

CH3 reporter on scene says clash began about 3pm and is still continuing at this moment. /via@terryfrd

Reporters said gunfire sounded like both artillery as well as assault rifles. /RT @tulsathit: /RT @Neaw_NBC:

CH 3 reporter says he can hear fighting very clearly w. artillery and smaller weapons being used. /via@terryfrd

Hope that no international media reporters get in there as they might collect a Thai Army bullet.

Or a Cambodian mortal shell.

Thai Military can beat Cambodia in two fields ... Golf and Night tour in "Ab Ob Nuats" ...

This incidence was brought to you by TPN (Terrorism Participating Networks) and the PAD (Participants Acting Demolition).

If the govt and the army doesn't clear within it's own ranks then the future of this country will be at stake.

The even has already gone worldwide, just few mins ago it was on BBC. Apparently according to Thai authority's the fighting was a misunderstanding and they are negotiating right now.

Yup.

When you're cynical, everything becomes clear.

What next?

Well they were in both the Korean conflict and Vietnam, I think we lost both of those.

No the first was put on hold and not yet ended - yea we lost the other one.

Not sure if Thailand "lost" in the Vietnam war - it seems they were backing both sides. In Nakhon Phanom on the riverfront there is a very nice clock tower donated by Uncle Ho for R&R services to the NVA. what did the thai girl say to the vietnamese soldier ? Show us your dong!

Yup.

What is everything? that became clear

www.ctn.com.kh My gf like to watch CTN. However it is block now. I ask her not to leave the condo (just stay in bed), as her ascent is such a give away. Any way we have stock enough food in our fridge for a romantic weekend.
Do you mean blocked in Cambodia? >Because I can access it without any difficulty whatsoever here in Thailand. btw, there's a lot of gunfire going on in the background during their interview with a reporter on the scene.

We are in Phetburi Road Bangkok. CTN is now back after 2 hr of blackout. I suppose their website isn't design to receive traffic surge. She she is glue to the box and I can't get her back to bed. I think I need more beer. Where that's darn cap opener?

Thanks for clarifying.

Often people jump out with, "it's blocked", when that's not the actual case in many situations.

Yup.

What is everything? that became clear

Create an incident. Get the funding for tanks/guns/Mercedes-Benz S Class. ;)

Or a Cambodian mortal shell.

Or even a Cambodian mortar shell that can be mortal... such as to the Thai villager killed.