Access Denied - Why ?

CharlieH

I am running Windows 7 ultimate on my netbook. Everytime I try to copy or move or paste files within a folder I get "access denied" you need permission to perform this action etc....... the User account is set to administrator so I dont understand why I cant do anything ??? have I missed a little tick in a box somewhere ?

I cant use the task manager either as i get the same result when trying to stop any processes/stop programs.

Help would be really apreciated as its driving me nuts !!

Edited by CharlieH

Try removing/disabling UAC altogether. It's nothing but a pain in the arse anyway.

If I knew what that was I could give it a try

PLEASE anyone else offering help, try to avoid abbreviations like this as they are meaningless to me.

Have tried:

Account settings/controls

File/folder permissions

Edited by CharlieH

Apologies Charlie.

UAC is User Account Control.

Disabling it is one of the many glitches in Windows 7 at the moment. The following should work though.

Start Menu (the circular Windows Icon in the bottom left of your screen)

> Control Panel

> User Accounts

> Change User Account Settings.

In User Account Settings there is a sliding panel. Simply set the slide to the lowest setting (never notify)

Restart and see if that helps.

Edited by HeavyDrinker

Do not disable UAC (User Account Control). It's there for a reason. Besides, UAC isn't the root of the problem anyway.

the User account is set to administrator so I dont understand why I cant do anything ???

You are the Administrator, albeit one with "limited" rights. To be able to perform certain tasks, you may need to Run Programs as an Administrator or Take Ownership of files/folders which allows you to modify restricted items.

Do not disable UAC (User Account Control). It's there for a reason

What reason exactly?

Pointless on a single person use computer, fine if you're a family of 5 sharing a computer like some nightmare Microsoft ad.

Anything that limits your access or ability to preform a task on your own computer is wrong.

People have been on at MS for years now to stop making it a default setting which gradually they look like doing by making disabling it easier with each release.

Edited by HeavyDrinker

What reason exactly?

Pointless on a single person use computer, fine if you're a family of 5 sharing a computer like some nightmare Microsoft ad.

Anything that limits your access or ability to preform a task on your own computer is wrong.

People have been on at MS for years now to stop making it a default setting which gradually they look like doing by making disabling it easier with each release.

I have already tried lowering the account setting control to its minimum but it had NO effect.

I was tryin to "manipulate " a piece of software by substituting certain dll files, which is what caused the issue, out of shear frustration and annoyance I have now given up and deleted the software concerned because frankly it was just too much hassle.

I also totally agree (with heavydrinker) that this kind of default setting is useless and annoying on a "personal" computer. You should be able to do whatever you want (at your own risk).

If it was a public PC or network /Office environment it would be different but for "home" users etc its just plain annoying ! :annoyed:

Edited by CharlieH

What reason exactly?

The goal of UAC is to protect the system from unauthorized changes. Although I can certainly do without UAC, I still keep it enabled -- if only for the added layer of security. I have mine set to level 3 (the one that doesn't dim the entire screen). TBH, I don't find UAC in Windows 7 to be that intrusive unlike Vista, where I had to switch it off since it was overkill.

Each to his/her own I guess.

OK.

Try using Windows 7 Manager by Yamicsoft.

You can download a part functional trial version from their website but I'm pretty sure the function you need is available.

When you have downloaded it, run the program and select 'optimization wizard'

Skip to Step 3 and simply check the box there.

If this doesn't work then we're looking at 'regedits' which are only for the experienced but I can give you walk-throughs on that if you want although it will be tomorrow as beer and women beckon.

Good luck.

I have already tried lowering the account setting control to its minimum but it had NO effect.

I was tryin to "manipulate " a piece of software by substituting certain dll files, which is what caused the issue, out of shear frustration and annoyance I have now given up and deleted the software concerned because frankly it was just too much hassle.

See my first post.

Use Run as Administrator and/or Take Ownership.

I also totally agree (with heavydrinker) that this kind of default setting is useless and annoying on a "personal" computer. You should be able to do whatever you want (at your own risk).

UAC doesn't restrict you from doing what you want. The real restriction is the "limited" Administrator account. But there are ways around it, so not really a problem.

Add 'Take Ownership' to right-click context menu:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

Instructions:

1. Copy and paste to Notepad

2. Save file with .reg extension

3. Double-click to import to the registry...

Edited by Supernova

Add 'Take Ownership' to right-click context menu:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

Instructions:

1. Copy and paste to Notepad

2. Save file with .reg extension

3. Double-click to import to the registry...

That's rediculous. You have to do all that, just to use YOUR OWN COMPUTER.

This is the reason I will never upgrade to windoze7. Total f'n bullsh*t.

I think ur user dont have administrator rights for the drive or folder

I recommend you to change ur user name to administrator then try copying

Normally for restricted user accounts cant able to copy to system folder and some windows folder if you got admin rights u can do what ever you want

That's rediculous. You have to do all that, just to use YOUR OWN COMPUTER.

This is the reason I will never upgrade to windoze7. Total f'n bullsh*t.

Yes and no. Actually, those are the commands needed to enable Take Ownership via context menu so you don't have to type all that junk.

Elevated privileges are needed to make changes to system files (e.g., %SystemRoot%) and certain areas of the registry. To me this makes perfect sense, and should have been implemented a long time ago. Placing restrictions in key areas of the operating system makes it more difficult for 'rogue' programs to inflict damage -- something that's happened all too often in XP.

Edited by Supernova

It probably is.

It matters not.

Microsoft want to control what we can do on our computers much as Nokia like to do with our phones.

They want to control what content we put on.

Its sort of a monopoly ideal.

Download Windows Bubbles and <deleted> Bill Gates and his pal Supernova off.

It probably is.

It matters not.

Microsoft want to control what we can do on our computers much as Nokia like to do with our phones.

Download Windows Bubbles and <deleted> Bill Gates and his pal Supernova off.

It seems people have got a little carried away here and totally missed my statement 10 posts back which stated.....

"I have now given up and deleted the software concerned because frankly it was just too much hassle"

Thanks to everyone for your contributions.:jap:

"We are Microsoft. Resistance is futile. All your computers are belong to us..."

Bottom line: Don't like Windows? Then don't use it for chrissakes! You DO have a choice; perhaps Linux is better suited to your needs. Oh wait... I've just tried to make changes in Linux /root and got a "permission denied." Now what? Throw a fit and accuse *NIX developers of being control freaks? :rolleyes: I don't think so. Unfortunately, there will always be a trade-off between security and convenience. Like it or not, that's the way it is. While some vendors do it better than others, the ultimate goal is the same -- to provide an efficient and safe operating environment for the user. A simple concept which you can't seem to grasp or have chosen to ignore.

And finally...

How to Enable the Built-in Windows 7 Administrator Account