Instant Noodles New Barometer Of Thai Economy

george

New barometer of Thai economy

BANGKOK: -- It’s unlikely to replace the country’s stock exchange index, but Thailand has come up with a new economic barometer-the Mama Noodle Index.

When the economy gets bad, the sales of Mama, the country’s top-selling brand of instant noodles, shoot up, according to economists and businesspeople quoted by The Nation newspaper on Monday.

“One of the more bizarre economic indicators to emerge in recent years, the Noodle Index works like this-tighten your belt, spend less on food. As a cheap eat, instant noodle sales therefore rise exponentially,” the newspaper said.

As Thailand’s economy recovered in recent years from the1997 economic crisis, Mama sales were steady. But with economic weakness beginning to show up last year, sales went up by 5 per cent and then jumped 15 per cent over the first seven months of 2005 from the same period last year.

--Agencies 2005-09-05

New barometer of Thai economy

BANGKOK: -- It’s unlikely to replace the country’s stock exchange index, but Thailand has come up with a new economic barometer-the Mama Noodle Index.

When the economy gets bad, the sales of Mama, the country’s top-selling brand of instant noodles, shoot up, according to economists and businesspeople quoted by The Nation newspaper on Monday.

“One of the more bizarre economic indicators to emerge in recent years, the Noodle Index works like this-tighten your belt, spend less on food. As a cheap eat, instant noodle sales therefore rise exponentially,” the newspaper said.

As Thailand’s economy recovered in recent years from the1997 economic crisis, Mama sales were steady. But with economic weakness beginning to show up last year, sales went up by 5 per cent and then jumped 15 per cent over the first seven months of 2005 from the same period last year.

--Agencies 2005-09-05

Hi George,

I must admit that in my past, when money was tight, I too bought big packs of Mama noodles. But besides being cheap, they're also good. You can add other stuff to make it better, like cabbage, onions, egg, meat, etc.

After living here for a long time, I'm still extremely impressed with the low income Thais. How on earth they get by on such meager salaries is beyond me. I hope the economy doesn't force poorer folks into Mama Mode again.

Very interesting. I also buy noodles when things are tight--and I thought I was being really smart!!

I must admit, I don't have to do it, but I do it as a sort of financial punishment for being extravagant. They are inexpensive and good.

Anybody know how nutritious they are?

eating Mama......

I must admit, I don't have to do it, but I do it as a sort of financial punishment for being extravagant.  They are inexpensive and good. 

Funny, i find myself doing the same, I tend to buy nice things for the house or clothes and then penny pinch on food! :o

WEll about 20% (bad) fat, some white flour, lots of salt and some MSG... sounds very healthly... :D

http://www.asiaweek.com/asiaweek/97/0411/feat2.html

eating Mama......

I must admit, I don't have to do it, but I do it as a sort of financial punishment for being extravagant.  They are inexpensive and good. 

Funny, i find myself doing the same, I tend to buy nice things for the house or clothes and then penny pinch on food! :o

I ate mama noodles everyday for 10 months when I was first here and jobless, my BF used to nip into the jungle and come back with plants to go in the mix. If we were a bit flush, we may add an egg.

I ate them so much in that time I cant even take a whiff of them now without feeling sick. Which is a shame really as they are actually very tasty

That's funny. My TGF pulls in over 4MM baht/yr, but she still eats mama like there's no tomorrow.

She definitely falsified the theory. Thaksin government should seriously consider appointing her governor of the Thai national bank. Doubtfull she will accept since that job does not officialy pay 4 million in real money a year i guess. :o

• 1 year later...
Hardly a "new" barometer, 'economists' have brought this up for at least a decade now.

:o

I heard about the "new" barometer about 5 years ago, from a Thai. Well, everything being so slow here, I guess you can call 10 years new. Mai pen rai na...

Very interesting. I also buy noodles when things are tight--and I thought I was being really smart!!

I must admit, I don't have to do it, but I do it as a sort of financial punishment for being extravagant. They are inexpensive and good.

Anybody know how nutritious they are?

Many years ago there was quite the local scandal in Bangkok when it was discovered that some noodle manufacturers were using used motor oil in the manufacturing process. Your nutritional mileage may vary.

Locally here in the US, I have a pal who owns a commercial laundry who swears by the napkin index, the number of napkins being washed through the laundry is the best local leading economic indicator he has seen, going up as confidence increases amongst the business community and quickly turning down in a slowing economy.

Thank god... For a second there I thought george said that English noodles/Lacoste was the barometer for the thai economy

Well, we all know which way that would have gone... (hint Look at lacoste tshirt sales... :o )