Expat Demographics

Mapguy

I have gathered the following estimates from various consular and business sources as to the long-term totals by nationality in the Chiang Mai "area.":

Americans: 7000-7500

British 2000-2500

Japanese 4000-4500

Koreans 2000-2500

Swedes 400- 450

There are, of course, other fairly sizable groups, such as Germans and Dutch, as well as many, many other nationalities generally.

It is very hard to be accurate. Expatriates do not always register their presence with their home country embassies or consulates. Some expatriates live "under cover." Many of these are mid to long-term stayers on dodgy grounds, such as enrollment in language courses. My perception is that these are generally younger and not eligible for retirement visas. Otherwise, my perception is that the retirement community is growing.

My understanding is that it is problematic to get hard numbers.

Edited by Mapguy

Interesting figures. More Americans than I would expect. A factor may be that Americans are more likely to register their presence, because the relatively low number of criminals and fugitives compared to the more obvious nationalities?

But then again, I don't register my presence with the embassy either, and there is nothing dodgy about me! :ph34r:

Interesting figures. More Americans than I would expect. A factor may be that Americans are more likely to register their presence, because the relatively low number of criminals and fugitives compared to the more obvious nationalities?

But then again, I don't register my presence with the embassy either, and there is nothing dodgy about me! :ph34r:

Just a thought.

It might also be that the US counselete is more helpful to it's citizens. All though you do have to make a appointment.

Why would americans be less likely to be criminals or fugitives than any other nationality?

I don't know why anyone from America would want to leave so much culture behind?

I have gathered the following estimates from various consular and business sources as to the long-term totals by nationality in the Chiang Mai "area.":

Americans: 7000-7500

British 2000-2500

Japanese 4000-4500

Koreans 2000-2500

Swedes 400- 450

More exact information about the sources ? Guess there are some zero's too much ??

I don't believe anything of this story, immigration office is the only source who can know this.

I seem to remember (perhaps from an Expat Club meeting) an official from the US Consulate estimating the CM (maybe province) community to be 20 - 22,000. I don't think WTK's numbers seem too far fetched and when asked, that 's the figure I put on it.

There's also a significent amount that may spend a large amount of time in Chiang Mai every year but don't live here full-time, many owning properies, vehicles etc.

Myself included I'd put 50% of the people I know as living in Chiang Mai between 4-8 months a year.

... snip ... I don't know why anyone from America would want to leave so much culture behind?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun UpTheos,

To purge ourselves of our British heritage of being violent genocidal colonialists and experience our inner Neanderthal in raw form, properly engaged in the worship of the Great Mother ?

:)

best, ~o:37;

p.s. true confession: our best friends, in eleven years in Thailand, have been ... English.

Edited by orang37

... snip ... I don't know why anyone from America would want to leave so much culture behind?

To purge ourselves of our British heritage of being violent genocidal colonialists and experience our inner Neanderthal in raw form, properly engaged in the worship of the Great Mother ?

p.s. true confession: our best friends, in eleven years in Thailand, have been ... English.

I always preferred the Scots at least those from Newcastle north.:lol:

I always preferred the Scots at least those from Newcastle north.:lol:

What little culture exists in America is not centered around a bar so you don't tend to see Americans out so much, except the missionaries.

I meet about 4 Brits, 2 Germans and a Swiss/Dutch/French/Belgian/Swede for every American i run into. Still it wouldn't surprise me if there were more Americans here than other foreign nationalities. I would guess there are more of all nationalities than those numbers provided in the OP.

Edited by lannarebirth

What little culture exists in America is not centered around a bar so you don't tend to see Americans out so much, except the missionaries.

I meet about 4 Brits, 2 Germans and a Swiss/Dutch/French/Belgian/Swede for every American i run into. Still it wouldn't surprise me if there were more Americans here than other foreign nationalities. I would guess there are more of all nationalities than those numbers provided in the OP.

During my 7 years in Canada, I visited quite a few US towns. I saw nothing but bars and eateries and numerous 'big' bars (barns) filled with myriad buxom pole and lap dancers. They weren't interested in me though cos I never had a plaid shirt and trucker baseball cap on. I must have looked English and therefore they knew no money was available. biggrin.gif

Of course, we're a nation of animal lovers. wink.gif

As i understand it, immigration only handles 20 one year visa extensions per day. At five days a week, that's about a capacity of 5000 one year visas for foreigners in chiang mai. The figures given add up to way more than that.

Maybe lots have other kinds of visas.

What little culture exists in America is not centered around a bar...

There is Fox Hunting!

250px-Hunt_Master_exits_Castle_cropped.JPG

In my younger years I was a very active (you don't want to know) member of The League Against Cruel Sports, that helped to bring down this barbaric tradition.

Cruelty is not culture. Like when I see a bird in a little wooden cage roasting in the sun. That's nothing to do with culture, it's cruel....how can the owner possibly think the bird is not hot?

Edited by uptheos

During my 7 years in Canada, I visited quite a few US towns. I saw nothing but bars and eateries and numerous 'big' bars (barns) filled with myriad buxom pole and lap dancers. They weren't interested in me though cos I never had a plaid shirt and trucker baseball cap on. I must have looked English and therefore they knew no money was available. biggrin.gif

Didn't know there were that many US towns in Canada. You learn something new every day on this forum.

I don't know why anyone from America would want to leave so much culture behind?

You don't really leave it behind. One of the biggest 4th of July celebrations I ever went to was in Chiang Mai last year. 2000 people. Christmas is everywhere as well as Valentines day, Halloween and Thanksgiving. TrueVisions and the internet brought the super bowl to Chiang Mai. I was even able to watch commercials on Fox TV during the super bowl.

What is not here is the bickering between democrats, republicans and groups like the tea party and other patriot religious nuts. I am happy to leave that back in the USA. I don't miss any culture from the USA. Everything I like is right here!!! :D