Road Tax For Motorcycles

Briggsy

According to a number of provincial land transport web sites, motorcycle road tax is 100 Baht per year.

This is what I have always paid for my Sonic. It's what is shown in my log book for my CBR 150 R for the first year. i.e. "receipted 100.00 Baht tax"

Why then did I pay 600 Baht road tax when I bought it?

So should I be paying 600 or 100 Baht per year?

And why is the receipt for only 100 Baht?

500 baht would be for the compulsory 3rd insurance? You need that (or better) before you can tax the bike. This insurance gives you nothing, but means you can be claimed against in an accident. Normally its printed on an insignificant looking thermal print paper that looks like a till receipt. If you already had better insurance you would not need the 3rd party. Maybe they don't know you have better insurance (lost in translation)?

Absolutely not.

When I bought the bike 550 Baht was for Phor. Ror. Bor. (compulsory insurance) and 600 Baht was for Road Tax. I can read Thai and it is very clearly stated. Along with 200 Baht for rent of a red plate (100 Baht returnable) and 2,900 for 2 years' theft insurance.

Absolutely not.

When I bought the bike 550 Baht was for Phor. Ror. Bor. (compulsory insurance) and 600 Baht was for Road Tax. I can read Thai and it is very clearly stated. Along with 200 Baht for rent of a red plate (100 Baht returnable) and 2,900 for 2 years' theft insurance.

Well why didn't you say that in the first place? Since you already know everything, why are you asking us? :rolleyes:

Absolutely not.

Well why didn't you say that in the first place? Since you already know everything, why are you asking us? :rolleyes:

ditto

Edited by Garry

Why was I charged 600 Baht by the dealer for "road tax" but only receipted 100 Baht in the log book by the Land Transport Dept?

What is the correct annual road tax for a CBR 150 R?

Perhaps you can look in your log books and see how much you were receipted for for bikes over 125 cc.

Why was I charged 600 Baht by the dealer for "road tax" but only receipted 100 Baht in the log book by the Land Transport Dept?

Perhaps you can look in your log books and see how much you were receipted for for bikes over 125 cc.

Maybe because they took you for a ride (sorry about the pun) as they certainly did for the compulsory insurance - it is not and never has been 550 Baht :lol:

Now we are on the topic ....

Registration fee for my new Versys was 2900thb. incl. the "basic insurance" and road-tax.

Well the "basic insurance" = 645 thb

The road-tax = 100 thb

Using the red-plate did cost 200thb

Applying for the green-book did cost me in BKK about 500thb

So that is total of 1445thb ..... the other 1455 thb was for the holiday of the boss after he already made good money on selling me a motorbike?

Chang Noi

Maybe because they took you for a ride (sorry about the pun) as they certainly did for the compulsory insurance - it is not and never has been 550 Baht :lol:

Indeed compulsory insurance for a 150 cc bike is 400 + 2 (stamp duty) + 28.14 (VAT) = 430.14 Baht so they banged on 119.86 Baht fee for arranging it.

However, back to road tax, the focus of the thread, can anyone offer any facts? For example, do you have a log book for a bike bigger than 125 cc? If so, how much annual road tax did you pay? It is clearly shown on page 16 under the title รายการเสียภาษี "raigan seea phasee" = details of tax payments.

Thanks for your constructive comments.

Last time we renewed pickup car tax at Jatujak they tried to rip us off for an extra 1000 baht. My girlfriend asked them what that was for, and maybe her boss could come over and explain it? This shut the lady up and she made some excuse that it was not necessary. I read into this that there are gullable people around who will pay the extra amount without questioning it. Hence why they try it on, and they often get away with it. Thus know what you are supposed to pay in advance before going.

Edited by MaiChai

Registering a 250cc bike, paid about 750B all in, 100B for the tax, 645B for the insurance. (White) Plate and green book were free.

From memory, the insurance stand had 3 types of insurance, one at 300B, one at 600B and one at 900B (all plus tax of course). I guessed the 900B was for a car (as I paid previously), 300B for a bike below 150cc and 600B for a bike above 150cc.

The log book is stamped with a 100B charge for the tax, it isn't stamped for the insurance. The insurance would be on an insurance document with the price in the lower right corner.

Indeed compulsory insurance for a 150 cc bike is 400 + 2 (stamp duty) + 28.14 (VAT) = 430.14 Baht so they banged on 119.86 Baht fee for arranging it.

However, back to road tax, the focus of the thread, can anyone offer any facts? For example, do you have a log book for a bike bigger than 125 cc? If so, how much annual road tax did you pay? It is clearly shown on page 16 under the title รายการเสียภาษี "raigan seea phasee" = details of tax payments.

Thanks for your constructive comments.

100 Baht for Gixxer, 100 Baht or my Versys, 100 Baht for my ER6n, etc.

Looks like Mit Yon (Pattaya) banged on a 500 Baht fee for processing the initial registration/taxation then. :annoyed:

No, it looks like you paid for some compulsory insurance as well, but perhaps didn't receive the paperwork. The tax can only be got if you have the compulsory insurance, you just need to ask them for the insurance certificate.

Looks like Mit Yon (Pattaya) banged on a 500 Baht fee for processing the initial registration/taxation then. :annoyed:

No, it looks like you paid for some compulsory insurance as well, but perhaps didn't receive the paperwork. The tax can only be got if you have the compulsory insurance, you just need to ask them for the insurance certificate.

No, you are incorrect. If you read back through the thread, I paid 550 Baht for compulsory insurance and 600 Baht for road tax. The compulsory insurance document came through after about one month showing a receipt for 430.14 Baht. The green book and the road tax sticker came through after 3 months showing a receipt for 100 Baht.