Car Is Not In My Name

Semper

Surely if the ride is insured '' any driver '' then, any driver, regardless of nationality as long as they have a Thai licence can drive. Wouldn't have thought it mattered about the owner not having a license as long as they don't drive it.

Go get the owners name changed to you, easy. ( But she might not like that ) :D

Yes the insurance sticker is on the windshield (or windscreen for you lot across the pond) not tatoo'd on the drivers forehead :blink: ...

I paid extra for the tattoo. :unsure:

Oh! So all this time you're really Mike Tyson :o , that explains a lot :lol::D ...

Nooooooooooooo, OK for a scrap but do not abuse women. :lol:

In a word NO. As the first thing the insurance co: will ask for is driving licence of owner. No licence no pay out. And please Buddha it's not bad as you will have to pay for all cost's +++++++ as your a very RICH Farang.

Add on, I told a Farang friend about this a year or so ago and he went to the local insurance agent and they assured him no problem. Three month's ago a M/C went into him. No problem's only cost him 50,000 bt and 10,000 for the cop. + the cost for his Fortuner, new wing. Who need's insurance. Had a small prang last week, I have M/C & Car Thai licence, car in my name they took photo copy of both for the insurance Co: You will have a big prob if you dont have Thai one.

Think about it big prang they have a get out, do you think they will pay, if you do plod on. Get the wife to take test easy over here. Or put car in your name.

When you take out insurance for a car the fist thing they In: Co: ask is a copy of licence of OWNER, that's what I had to do so why should it be any different for a Thai.

Are you posting to yourself??? :huh::blink::unsure:

May look like it but if you look I put ADD ON. Yes they may have been scammed but they had to pay for their own damage. Better to be safe than sorry.

When I take out insurance for my m/c

They take my green registration book and the money.

As far as I am aware insurance in Thailand is for the vehicle.

Whoever is driving it at an accident, has to show their driving license in order to make a claim.

If they are in Thailand on anything other than a tourist visa, or visa on entry, it needs to be a THAI driving license.

I can't see car insurance having a different set of rules.

I suppose. Better to get thing's in writing from In/Co: not agent just in case.

Yeah it's called a policy and it's also a good idea to read it too.... It sounds to me like both your mates were scammed and allowed the insurance companies to get one over on them by not being well informed in advance and got out of paying..

"It sounds to me like both your mates" didn't have valid driving licences.

When I take out insurance for my m/c

They take my green registration book and the money.

As far as I am aware insurance in Thailand is for the vehicle.

Whoever is driving it at an accident, has to show their driving license in order to make a claim.

If they are in Thailand on anything other than a tourist visa, or visa on entry, it needs to be a THAI driving license.

I can't see car insurance having a different set of rules.

I suppose. Better to get thing's in writing from In/Co: not agent just in case.

Yeah it's called a policy and it's also a good idea to read it too.... It sounds to me like both your mates were scammed and allowed the insurance companies to get one over on them by not being well informed in advance and got out of paying..

"It sounds to me like both your mates" didn't have valid driving licences.

That's another possibility too..

Both had Thai driving licences, only thing they did wrong was to put car in Thai wife/GF name both couldn't drive or had licence. Insurance asked for licence of owner. As you all know here there are rule's for Thai's and rule's for Farang. Another chum got stopped by the BIB usual Bull sh/t didnt want to see his licence only the owner's his wife, as luck would have it she had one. They make it up as they go along. Get it in writing in English.

Surely if the ride is insured '' any driver '' then, any driver, regardless of nationality as long as they have a Thai licence can drive. Wouldn't have thought it mattered about the owner not having a license as long as they don't drive it.

Yes the insurance sticker is on the windshield (or windscreen for you lot across the pond) not tatoo'd on the drivers forehead :blink: ...

Alas the "insurance sticker" is no more - that stopped some time ago. The only sticker on the windscreen now is for the Road Tax.

Alas the "insurance sticker" is no more - that stopped some time ago. The only sticker on the windscreen now is for the Road Tax.

You know, you're right, my tax sticker is held on by an insurance cover so I forgot it wasn't the insurance anymore. Screwed up a perfectly good joke <_<:P

Edited by WarpSpeed

I once drove a friend car which is under 1st Class Insurance. While driving i accidently bump into a nice hot girl car in front of me. My insurance company came took some pictures ask me to sign some papers and thats it , Everything is covered.

and next year you pay 20% more for your insurance, and this continues for years. changing insurancecompnay, the claim follows your VIN

Latest,

Friend of mine farang, had an bump on the express way BKK yesterday. He hit car up the arse been and sorted out the insurance today. What did they want well belive it or not the licence of the owner His Thai wife. Didnt want his. Car go's in for repair next week. So there you go. Not saying I'm right or wrong. Just stating the fact's. Get everything in writing.

Latest,

Friend of mine farang, had an bump on the express way BKK yesterday. He hit car up the arse been and sorted out the insurance today. What did they want well belive it or not the licence of the owner His Thai wife. Didnt want his. Car go's in for repair next week. So there you go. Not saying I'm right or wrong. Just stating the fact's. Get everything in writing.

More Thai crazy stuff. :rolleyes:

Latest,

I think you have some very "strange friends" :P

Edited by Semper

flaming post and reply removed

pleae keep it sivilized and within forum rules

BTW I have no problem to see Insurance company asking for Thai owners license to make claim smooth. However there is no requirement for owner to have DL. It is a requirement for driver to have valid license, and many foreigners drive illegally here on homecountry licenses

In addition some Insurances are limited to 2 drivers only (2 ID/passportnumbers only), and claim rep may not know if this is the case, so automaticly asks for owners DL to make claim smooth

flaming post and reply removed

pleae keep it sivilized and within forum rules

BTW I have no problem to see Insurance company asking for Thai owners license to make claim smooth. However there is no requirement for owner to have DL. It is a requirement for driver to have valid license, and many foreigners drive illegally here on homecountry licenses

In addition some Insurances are limited to 2 drivers only (2 ID/passportnumbers only), and claim rep may not know if this is the case, so automaticly asks for owners DL to make claim smooth

Yes, this is what some insurance companies was telling me. Hence the replies. Sorry if someone took offence of this :)