A Bike Dilema Head Vs Heart

sgunn65

I am having a bike buying crisis. I started out looking to by a cruiser and was blown away by the Vulcan 900 Classic. But people have been telling me about the Versys. So off i trotted to Kawasaki Pattaya to look at them both and I am having sleepless nights.

My head says the versys. 285,000 baht (175,000 cheaper than the vulcan), excellent for getting around Pattaya but big enough for weekend jaunts and touring.

My heart says the Vulcan. It is a beautiful bike, big enough for touring. I am used to the riding style of cruisers. But most of all it looks fantastic.

Given that I have always gone for form over function I am leaning towards the Vulcan but my bank balance says the Versys is a better bet.

What would you do?

I'm having the same dilemma, sgunn. I had a Vulcan before I moved here and loved every minute of riding it. With the exception of the Versys being a bit tall for me (I'd get the optional seat and, just on the odd chance I get the Versys, I brought lowering links for it on the trip over) I really like it as well. As you noted, the price difference is a significant factor.

It may just boil down to the mood I am in on the day I go in to plop down the money.

Good luck with your choice.

David

Edited by Genericnic

You are likely to live longer if you get the Vulcan and just cruise. I like the mat black custom but ended up buying the Ninja 650r, partially due to the price. If you are not used to driving in Thailand, zipping around on a 650 like the Versys, you will likely take more chances. It is just too tempting to see what it will do.

Get the cruiser, sit back and enjoy a leisurely ride. :)

I'm having the same dilemma, sgunn. I had a Vulcan before I moved here and loved every minute of riding it. With the exception of the Versys being a bit tall for me (I'd get the optional seat and, just on the odd chance I get the Versys, I brought lowering links for it on the trip over) I really like it as well. As you noted, the price difference is a significant factor.

It may just boil down to the mood I am in on the day I go in to plop down the money.

David

The dealership will lower the seat 2 inches when they set up the bike if you ask. I tried both and the 2 inches makes a world of difference when you are 175cm like me

David

The dealership will lower the seat 2 inches when they set up the bike if you ask. I tried both and the 2 inches makes a world of difference when you are 175cm like me

How does the dealership do that whithout changing the bike? I had a lowering-kit installed ... but I bought the lowering-kit myself and yes the dealer installed it but that is really only 20min work.

Someone said he has the optional seat .... you mean the gel-seat? Although I have lowerd my seat, I would love to try (test sit) a gel-seat. I that gives me more ground on my feet I would like to have that also.

Chang Noi

Buying a bike I follow the heart if i can afford it...

YOU have to live with the bike...

YOU have to pay for the bike...

Whatever makes you happy, that is the bike you should have...

i was contemplating a kwak when i saw the cbr for the first time... i just had to have it... Two very different bikes you are lusting- buy both!

Or figure out what will be most practical... Ps... Lots of extra goodies you can buy if you get the cheaper bike...

No dilemma! A bike purchase is always from the heart, so get the Vulcan!

I love my Versys but it's really a totally different bike from a chopper. Yet I can very much see the appeal of a chopper and so very clearly you must get the Vulcan. Follow your dream....

:jap:

PS: Finance it if you must. Come on, it's a lot cheaper to spend money on what you want than to waste money on something you didn't really.

Edited by nikster

You are likely to live longer if you get the Vulcan and just cruise. I like the mat black custom but ended up buying the Ninja 650r, partially due to the price. If you are not used to driving in Thailand, zipping around on a 650 like the Versys, you will likely take more chances. It is just too tempting to see what it will do.

I respectfully disagree- the Versys has much better brakes and handling than the Vulcan, making it a safer bike. You can drive too fast and kill yourself on anything. Just because a Versys can go faster than a Vulcan doesn't mean it's more dangerous.

But back to the "dilemma", IMO SGunn should follow his heart and buy the bike his heart WANTS, not the bike his head tells him to get. You only live once- treat yourself to the Vulcan- it's not that much more expensive and is a very solid machine.

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Tony

I've never ridden either, but I'd prefer a Versys (over the Vulcan), I'd rather have my old KTM 520EXC SM or a Ducati Hypermotard over either, but I can dream (for now)!

I've never ridden any cruiser or a Harley, but will, about the same time as I rent a Winnebago and tour the states for a couple of years (US) in 20 years time.

There's plenty of time to explore other parts of the world on whatever transport you can find in the meantime!

Good luck with your choice, is this worth a poll?

It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you're enjoying it!

I've had Harleys and I've had sport/cruiser bikes. With the Vulcan, there is the big "wow" factor; everybody will turn and stare, etc. But if you want to RIDE, I mean hit the twisties and feel the road, the Versys has it all over the Vulcan. But like most have said, follow your heart. Decide what kind of riding you want to do most and get the bike that fits.

When I go into Kawasaki, I find myself staring at the Vulcan, maybe even having a little drool. It is a beautiful bike. But personally, I could NEVER go back to such a motorcycle after riding free on one that handles so well. You could always get both -- now that would solve the dilemma, wouldn't it?

Ahhh... a dilema we all face!

Whatever decision you make, there will be times you will be sitting on your Vulcan/Versys wishing you had bought the Versys/Vulcan!!!

Two totally different bikes, and probably serving different sides of your personality!

I did the same thing... I bought the 650 Ninja (Versys wasn't out then) but couldn't stop looking at the Vulcan. (my head won that day)

I love the Ninja, but can't help some times wishing I'd bought the Vulcan. ...then I'm in traffic, thankful I didn't...

Now I'm thinking "should I sell the Ninja and buy the Vulcan?" "shouldn't I?"

Sure I'd have had exactly the same thoughts in reverse if I'd got the Vulcan.

Now I'm thinking... "can I afford both?" (Not sure where I'd park another one... have to ditch the girlfriend's Scoopy!)

Both bikes are great value for what they offer, and you'll make whatever decision you make on the day...

...some days you'll love it, some days you won't. That's life.

Whatever you do, enjoy!

OP

As I see it, yours is a classic conflict - cruiser vs sports bike. I don't think there's any question that the Versys is the bike for Thai roads, even city. Twisties - no contest. Brakes too, of course.

But the issue is yourself. You're no newbie, so you're aware of Thai driving customs and irregularities. One issue could be the kind of bike with which you are more familiar. I grew up on cruisers and did not even pay attention to sports bikes of any ilk, ever, until here. Put me on a sports bike and ask me to be conservative, and it won't happen. If you are drawn to the Vulcan, and the reason is a familiar kind of handling, a thought is that learning on a Versys might represent a steeper learning curve (so to speak :whistling:). That is, there is the initial matter of safety, depending on your experience with the type.

Otherwise, if you can get your hands on Versus for rental, you should - I think - try it out for comfort on a day trip. Depending, the Vulcan may have the advantage for longer rides, not to mention belt drive, or staying alive.

As for looks, I'm disinterested. I do think that both forms follow function, and would in particular as naked bikes. And as for impressing others, a full wallet works wonders. Guess I'm stressing safety over appearance, handling advantages as they relate to the rider, and style. Of course, an intermediate step would be to buy something(s) second hand and step up depending on your experiences.

OP

As I see it, yours is a classic conflict - cruiser vs sports bike. I don't think there's any question that the Versys is the bike for Thai roads, even city. Twisties - no contest. Brakes too, of course.

But the issue is yourself. You're no newbie, so you're aware of Thai driving customs and irregularities. One issue could be the kind of bike with which you are more familiar. I grew up on cruisers and did not even pay attention to sports bikes of any ilk, ever, until here. Put me on a sports bike and ask me to be conservative, and it won't happen. If you are drawn to the Vulcan, and the reason is a familiar kind of handling, a thought is that learning on a Versys might represent a steeper learning curve (so to speak :whistling:). That is, there is the initial matter of safety, depending on your experience with the type.

Otherwise, if you can get your hands on Versus for rental, you should - I think - try it out for comfort on a day trip. Depending, the Vulcan may have the advantage for longer rides, not to mention belt drive, or staying alive.

As for looks, I'm disinterested. I do think that both forms follow function, and would in particular as naked bikes. And as for impressing others, a full wallet works wonders. Guess I'm stressing safety over appearance, handling advantages as they relate to the rider, and style. Of course, an intermediate step would be to buy something(s) second hand and step up depending on your experiences.

:thumbsup:

I respectfully disagree- the Versys has much better brakes and handling than the Vulcan, making it a safer bike. You can drive too fast and kill yourself on anything. Just because a Versys can go faster than a Vulcan doesn't mean it's more dangerous.

But back to the "dilemma", IMO SGunn should follow his heart and buy the bike his heart WANTS, not the bike his head tells him to get. You only live once- treat yourself to the Vulcan- it's not that much more expensive and is a very solid machine.

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Tony

Of course you are right, in that you can drive too fast and kill yourself on anything. Thais prove that on their scooters, everyday.

The quickness and responsiveness of the sport bike is seductive, however, and can lure one into doing more dangerous things. If one is new to Thai driving hazards then dealing with them around 100 is safer than 150+. As CMX said, “Put me on a sports bike and ask me to be conservative, and it won't happen.” Bike specs don’t answer all the questions on riding safety. I still think cruising is safer due to the less aggressive riding style. :)

The quickness and responsiveness of the sport bike is seductive, however, and can lure one into doing more dangerous things.

I still think cruising is safer due to the less aggressive riding style. :)

Have you not seen the multitudes of Thai kids racing around on a 'not-supposed-to-be-aggressive' scooter?

The type of bike has little to do with it. If it did then the world governments would force people who were booked for speeding or dangerous driving to drive cars that have a top speed of 80km/h and take 60 seconds to accelerate to that speed.

Head vs. Heart? If you were thinking with your head, you wouldn't be thinking of a big bike in LOS to begin with. For the price of a big bike you could get a car. If you NEED just a basic bike, you could get buy with a Fino or Nuovo or even a CBR. Looking for a big bike is because you WANT (not) need one. I have never understood buying a luxury item that you don't really NEED and not getting the one you REALLY want. Choose with your heart because you will be disappointed otherwise. Life is short and you will always regret what you DIDN'T do.

Of course you are right, in that you can drive too fast and kill yourself on anything. Thais prove that on their scooters, everyday.

Have you not seen the multitudes of Thai kids racing around on a scooter?

See what happens if you go around chopping up other peoples posts to make it fit your own little rant? Looks all the world to me, as if we are saying the same thing here. ;)

There you go, that one even tempts me. ;) My sport bike buddies would string me up for abandoning ship but it would probably fit my riding style a little better. Wonder why he is selling it.

Here you go, not much more than a new Versys!

http://www.gt-rider....Special-Edition

There you go, that one even tempts me. ;) My sport bike buddies would string me up for abandoning ship but it would probably fit my riding style a little better. Wonder why he is selling it.

Don't know but it's a good deal. Would have to be pretty thick string! ;)

Head vs. Heart? If you were thinking with your head, you wouldn't be thinking of a big bike in LOS to begin with. For the price of a big bike you could get a car. If you NEED just a basic bike, you could get buy with a Fino or Nuovo or even a CBR. Looking for a big bike is because you WANT (not) need one. I have never understood buying a luxury item that you don't really NEED and not getting the one you REALLY want. Choose with your heart because you will be disappointed otherwise. Life is short and you will always regret what you DIDN'T do.

Very well said sub! :)

See what happens if you go around chopping up other peoples posts to make it fit your own little rant? Looks all the world to me, as if we are saying the same thing here. ;)

Sorry, let me try again then.

The quickness and responsiveness of the sport bike is seductive, however, and can lure one into doing more dangerous things. If one is new to Thai driving hazards then dealing with them around 100 is safer than 150+. As CMX said, “Put me on a sports bike and ask me to be conservative, and it won't happen.” Bike specs don’t answer all the questions on riding safety. I still think cruising is safer due to the less aggressive riding style. :)

What you're saying in your post is that you agree that driving too fast on anything can kill you. You then say that being on a sports bike might make you do more dangerous things, due to it's quickness and responsiveness. We also agree again that bike specs don't equate to bike safety.

I'm not sure what you mean by cruising vs aggressive riding style. Do you mean a cruising mindset, or a cruiser style bike such as the Vulcan.

At any rate, I'd be going for the Versys over the Vulcan. It's also designed for long distance touring with the added bonus of being move nimble in town over the Vulcan. sgunn, you might be used to the riding style of a cruiser but the Versys is no sports bike. It's easy on your back and wrists as the Vulcan is, with the exception of you sitting more upright without having to reach out for the handlebars. The only reason I'd choose the Vulcan over the Versys is if it was more comfortable for me and I was looking for a bike purely to go cruising on.

However, what Sub said is also a good idea.

I forgot to add the puzzling factor of seating. Riding sports bikes is the only time, barring perhaps steeple chase events, in our lives that we are required to sit on our testicles. Sitting upwards on a cruiser on the other hand - no that's not it - in a different position, I mean, I feel great freedom to see around me what is passing - Thailand itself. Versys may be comfortable enough, but not luxuriously comfortable - it is meant to be austere, and those advising you to get the Versys are mostly about performance-fun. They think it's better squeezing in a Porsche coupe than lounging in a BMW 5-series.

Much nonsense in these notions, but perhaps goes to refining issues in your heart.

Edited by CMX

Very well said sub! :)

++++++++++++++++++++

'xactly.

The head decision is invariably a Honda Wave 110cc. Used in good condition, if you're a mini Warren Buffet.

Here you go, not much more than a new Versys!

http://www.gt-rider....Special-Edition

Oh wow, first he sold his FZ1 now the Vulcan... Hope Gary is ok. I've seen his Vulcan and it's immaculate and a good looking bike. That's a great price for a low mileage Vulcan. If I was 20 years older I might consider it ;)

The man is changing bikes like other people underwear... did he get a Versys? Guess I'll have to check by the Euro Diner again one of these days...

BTW I also believe you're less likely to kill yourself on a cruiser. Low speeds - that's all. On the Versys you can go much faster - and you will. The brakes are much better - so you have the confidence to go even faster.

Tony, you're just a very good rider - not everybody is that good. And by good I mean not going faster than ability and circumstances allow.

A cruiser is happy to go at a slow speed and take in the scenery - so you're less likely to crash into something too. Think about he accident of John up here recently... would that have happened on a Vulcan vs a ER-6n - most certainly not. Or think of any other accident that happened recently due to high speed - imagine the same rider on a chopper... wouldn't have gone that fast, would either not have had the accident, or at least had it at a much lower speed.

The Versys works well as a swiss army knife of bikes - it's doing everything well, even cruising at low speeds is fine on it (as I recently found out). But it's a sports bike at heart so from time to time she likes to be raced...

Here's how not to do it - would also not be possible on a Vulcan ;)

With reference to seating position, I did a seat mod recently. The best 500 baht I have spent on this bike. Makes the 500k over and back to Chiang Mai a lot easier on my undercarriage. Not a cruiser seat but still pretty comfy. :)

Saddle++001.jpg

Saddle++003.jpg

Saddle++002.jpg

Looks great, are you in Pattaya? Where dio make it? I need a 3-4 inch high, thicker set for my ER6N.

Cheers