Kawasaki D-Tracker (Klx250) - Alternatives

traveller808

I have been doing a bit of research on this topic as I think this category makes an excellent choice for Bkk/upcountry/daily driving etc....

1. My main purpose would be a daily commute of about 5km/10mins. (90%)
  2. Secondary purpose would be to get out of BKK 50 - 200kms etc (or possibly have it trucked further etc) (10%)

• I am looking for something 250 - 450cc, and as a relatively new guest to the LOS I am quite fortunate in that the D-Tracker is now made in Thailand and hence, no import taxes.
  • I know the bike has great reviews and is really good at what it does (although underpowered and overweight), as I rode the suzuki version of it in Japan for a couple of months - but it DOES NOT excite me that much unfortunately...

So for research, I went down to the Rama 9 Kawasaki shop which was quite busy, and the friendly staff informed me that there were no brochures available and gave me a finance information sheet.

It seems for the 2011 model you are required to put down 57k and then finance another 105k over either 12/18/24 mths (on-road all-inclusive price).

Now this is not too bad, but when I started checking out a site called Mocyc.com, I found quite a few used KLX250/D-Trackers in the 50-80k range (no green book) and in the 100-140k range for locally made ones with books.

I have no idea about the cost of a green book, but am assuming a grey-import plated tracker would be around 100k?

Anyway, checking out Mocyc.com over recent months, I have also come across some far more exciting bikes such as KTMs, Husabergs, Husqvarnas, Yamaha WRs and Honda CRF "X" models....but they rarely come plated.

Has anyone plated a grey-imported trail bike (such as those mentioned above) and converted it to a motard? Is it possible if all costs are paid (even if expensive) or is it illegal?

Is anyone aware of any shop that would sell a trail bike AND help arrange a green book?

Basically, I am hoping you knowledgeable guys with experience biking 'round LOS can answer:

1. Am I wasting my time trying to look for a good bike for around the 60-100k mark with no book and pay all the extra to get it roadworthy/registered/taxed/emissions tested???

2. Am I wasting my time trying to look for alternatives to the D-Tracker that are not twice the price (DRZ400 etc)?

3. Has anyone simply plated a cheap older trail bike such as a WR/KTM - was it worth the hassle?

Thanks heaps for any info you guys can provide,

Cheers,

Tim

I was in the same boat as you a year ago.

My last big bike before coming to Thailand was a 750cc so I thought a 250cc would be too weak and not a real enough bike.

I wanted to try a motard so the best bike I found on the web was a 10 year old DRZ400 with legal green book and plate for $150K baht.

$150K for a 10 year old dirtbike is simply ridiculous.

After researching the nightmare stories of trying to get a greenbook and the chance of older bikes getting confiscated, I decided a 2009 DTracker 250 was the best way to go.

No plate in BKK will get you many tickets/bribes so you really need a plate and green book.

I've found for BKK riding my 135cc scooter is best for cutting through traffic and getting ahead of cars at the lights.

The DTX250 seems overkill and a hassle in BKK so I only use it on the BRC track or for out of town trips (rare).

I find the 250cc is plenty fast for all of Thailand.

I rode from ChiangMai to BKK and it cruised at 110kph easily and topped out at 135kph on long stretches.

I think the DTX250 is a good compromise of legality, price, and performance, but the seat does suck as all dirtbike seats should.

I chopped my DTX handlebars so it is as narrow as a scooter, but the longer wheelbase is noticeable in stopped BKK traffic.

I suppose the DTX250 is the best single bike compromise as it is nimble, light, and it can go offroad.

I really suggest you buy 2 bikes, a scooter for BKK and then whatever you fancy for out of town.

If 90% of your usage will be BKK commuting, you will appreciate the ease of use and traffic weaving ability of a scooter.

If I had to commute on my DTX, I would have sold it for a scooter within a month.

For the cost of a new DTX250 you could get a new CBR250 and still have money leftover for a scooter.

Edited by ttakata

1. Forget buying a bike without a green-book & license-plate, more problems as joy.

2. I think the Dtracker 250 is a good bike for in the city, although for out of town you might need to tune it up a bit to get more power (de-restrict it).

3. You might consider indeed a new CBR250r but I think for in the city it is less fun as the Dtracker (that said a friend of mine drives his Versys in BKK like he is driving a Honda Wave).

I had a Yamaha XT250x and that was easy to drive in the city traffic, almost easier as a Honda Wave.

Chang Noi

Cheers for the replies guys - good food for thought!

I know the DT is a bit big for BKK's tiny roads, but I have always figured the KLX was designed to handle tight single-track riding, so moving through traffic will be something I could put up with I think.

But I do certainly appreciate that a fino is probably more practical!

The green book thing really really sux - I just don't see why it should be anything other than 'expensive'. If companies can do it, then why not private individuals/agents?

Anyway, for the moment I want to plan a trip to Pattaya to check out the bikes there as I have been told there are a heap of off-road ones.....and failing that I may check out some of the areas in BKK that evidently assemble imported models and if I still fail to find a good legal deal then I'll end up back at the Kwaka shop on Rama 9..

Thanks again for the help....

I will post more info if I find anything worthy!

Seen the thread on the Lifan Gy200? Cheap at 45k and well made. I would buy one of those.

For BKK you are better with an auto scooter; you get tired of all that gear shifting. In my opinion not worth buying new (too much of a hit for something with so much plastic), but you can get a 2nd hand Nouvo MX for 15 to 20k. Or a Mio/Fino for about the same, which is a bit smaller (probably the Mios are cheaper as they are not considered as cool as a Fino; mechanically identical though).

If you buy a Lifan, you can use the left over money to buy a 2nd hand auto?