14 Dead, At Least 20 Injured As Bus Plunges Into Ravine In Nan

webfact

14 teachers killed when bus plunges into ravine

By The Nation

Fourteen teachers were killed and 18 other injured when their bus plunged into a roadside ravine Monday, police said.

The accident happened in Nan's Song Kwae district at about 7:30 am.

The 32 teachers were traveling from Ban Dai School in Chiang Rai's Mae Sai district on an education trip Thung Chang district.

They left the Ban Dai school at 3 am.

The ravine is about 100-metre deep.

Police suspected that the bus driver lost control because he was not familiar with mountainous road, causing it to plunge down the ravine.

Pongphan Chaiyawat, the director of Chiang Rai's Education Zone 3, said the tragic accident saddened teachers in Mae Sai and the entire Chiang Rai.

He said Ban Dai School Director Sak Luaraj was among the injured.

He said the education zone and legal staffs would provide all necessary assistance to the injured teaches and families of the killed teachers.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02-21

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So yet again time for baseless criticism of the driver and an appalling reason given by the police.

THis was a long week-end there are bound to be a lot of minibuses on the road

-Were they in a hurry? Had they encouraged the driver to make up time?Was the vehicle road worthy?Was the surface of the road up yo standard?.. almost certainly not!

Was there an effective barrier? - to this last one , one doesn't even have to look at the scene to say NO!!

I don't think I've seen a single piece of Armco or proper barrier set up anywhere in Thailand - basically if a vehicle leaves the road the only things to stop it are either concrete or trees - neither of which are of the remotes use to an out of control vehicle

Edited by Deeral

I feel so sorry for those teachers , once again those bus drivers really need to receive proper training for road safety and how to use a bus. You cannot wake up in the morning and pretend to be a bus driver like this .

RIP for those who died .

There's 19 deaths in 2 seperate minivan accidents within 24 hours. How many did the hi so brat kill on the toll way,,,, 7-9?...for a total of 3 seperate minivan accidents and what 26+ deaths?

Come on Bureau of Land Transportation,

Come on traffic police,

Come on politicians, clean it up;

Or is this thai way of population control?

speed controls within the bus (using gps system), limit of hours which the driver can drive within 24h (those are long time used in europe for the long distance bus and lorry drivers).

a waste of life because of a dangerous driving. RIP

ACCIDENT

At least ten teachers killed when bus plunges into ravine

By The Nation

Nan/Chiang Rai

Fourteen teachers were killed and 18 other injured when their bus plunged into a roadside ravine Monday, police said.

The accident happened in Nan's Song Kwae district at about 7:30 am. The 32 teachers were traveling from Ban Dai School in Chiang Rai's Mae Sai district on an education trip Thung Chang district.

They left the Ban Dai school at 3 am. The ravine is about 100-metre deep.

Police suspected that the bus driver lost control because he was not familiar with mountainous road, causing it to plunge down the ravine.

Pongphan Chaiyawat, the director of Chiang Rai's Education Zone 3, said the tragic accident saddened teachers in Mae Sai and the entire Chiang Rai.

He said Ban Dai School Director Sak Luaraj was among the injured. He said the education zone and legal staffs would provide all necessary assistance to the injured teaches and families of the killed teachers.

The injured teachers were rushed to the Song Kwae and Nan hospitals. Pongphan said his deputy would become acting director of the school and teachers from nearby school would be mobilized to take charge of classes to ensure that the students could sit for the final exams

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02-21

This is what you get when a country's bus drivers come from the most reckless segment of drivers, unlike in developed countries where they usually come from the most careful segment of drivers, and are carefully chosen for the job by their employers.

Hired a bus for a staff trip a few years ago. He drove like hi was from a looney bin! Scared the shit out of everyone.

A year later we hired another bus and I pulledthe driver to one side and said if any of my staff complain of bad driving you will not get this 1000 Baht I was showing him. that worked.

Isn't it ashame they can only do things for money! Not coz it was his job or anything.

Better to be 10 minutes late than 30 years early.

So yet again time for baseless criticism of the driver and an appalling reason given by the police.

THis was a long week-end there are bound to be a lot of minibuses on the road

-Were they in a hurry? Had they encouraged the driver to make up time?Was the vehicle road worthy?Was the surface of the road up yo standard?.. almost certainly not!

Was there an effective barrier? - to this last one , one doesn't even have to look at the scene to say NO!!

I don't think I've seen a single piece of Armco or proper barrier set up anywhere in Thailand - basically if a vehicle leaves the road the only things to stop it are either concrete or trees - neither of which are of the remotes use to an out of control vehicle

What a nightmare. The survivors injuries would be horrific both psychological and physical. Nobody can blame anybody yet However the need for speed in clapped out old vans, taxis, buses on crappy roads is in the extreme compared to most countries. I now have a regular driver who firmly understands I dont need to be in BKK - Pattaya in 35 mins.

RIP and a big loss to the education system.

ACCIDENT

At least ten teachers killed when bus plunges into ravine

By The Nation

Nan/Chiang Rai

The accident happened in Nan's Song Kwae district at about 7:30 am. The 32 teachers were traveling from Ban Dai School in Chiang Rai's Mae Sai district on an education trip Thung Chang district.

They left the Ban Dai school at 3 am. The ravine is about 100-metre deep.

He said Ban Dai School Director Sak Luaraj was among the injured. He said the education zone and legal staffs would provide all necessary assistance to the injured teaches and families of the killed teachers.

The injured teachers were rushed to the Song Kwae and Nan hospitals. Pongphan said his deputy would become acting director of the school and teachers from nearby school would be mobilized to take charge of classes to ensure that the students could sit for the final exams

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02-21

What sad news. May they rest in peace and a speedy recovery for the injured.

I've been in a Thai hospital where they'd implanted a plate, but not as it should be. Not only why accidents like this one happen, is a problem, also how people "recover", being treated in most hospitals,where doctors are mostly not doing a good job.

It happened at my former school a long time ago and people always remember this tragedy.

I feel so sorry for those teachers , once again those bus drivers really need to receive proper training for road safety and how to use a bus. You cannot wake up in the morning and pretend to be a bus driver like this .

RIP for those who died .

Everything you say + "Crazy, stupid and totally avoidable"!!! (actually, words don't really do it, do they?!!)

Does anyone know in which Songkwae the accident took place? (there are 2 songkwae dsitricts in Nan, one about 20km west of the city, the other around 60-70km to the north...)

Alos, does anyone know what the weather was like at the time of the accident (in both areas there is usually early morning fog. Sometimes visibility can be down to 10-20meters.)

Since the group was heading to/from Tung Chang to/from Chiang Rai, I'm guessing that they were travelling on Highway 1148, and going through the Songkwae in the north.

Some people seem quick to blame the driver/reckless driving... but anyone who's been to either Songkwae will know that both roads are very steep, winding mountain roads. They are also quite narrow and very, very dangerous especially if the weather's bad, or it's foggy.

I'm not saying the driver wasn't to blame... but maybe people should wait until there's more information before blaming the accident soley upon him.

RIP to the dead, and I hope the injured recover quickly...

Does anyone know in which Songkwae the accident took place? (there are 2 songkwae dsitricts in Nan, one about 20km west of the city, the other around 60-70km to the north...)

Alos, does anyone know what the weather was like at the time of the accident (in both areas there is usually early morning fog. Sometimes visibility can be down to 10-20meters.)

Since the group was heading to/from Tung Chang to/from Chiang Rai, I'm guessing that they were travelling on Highway 1148, and going through the Songkwae in the north.

Some people seem quick to blame the driver/reckless driving... but anyone who's been to either Songkwae will know that both roads are very steep, winding mountain roads. They are also quite narrow and very, very dangerous especially if the weather's bad, or it's foggy.

I'm not saying the driver wasn't to blame... but maybe people should wait until there's more information before blaming the accident soley upon him.

Don't be so wet!

If the roads and visibility are that bad then the driver should slow right down so he can cope with conditions.

Only one vehicle involved, of course it was the driver to blame.

This is what you get when a country's bus drivers come from the most reckless segment of drivers, unlike in developed countries where they usually come from the most careful segment of drivers, and are carefully chosen for the job by their employers.

Indeed a terrible waste of life, and teachers into the bargain.

However I must comment on the above and other posts.

I dont know how many of these posters actually travel on buses in Thailand but I do, as I have no use for a car therefore dont drive.

I have used buses over most of the country except the far north for the last 6 years and have never been in a bus that has even had a scratch.

I now travel regularly into and out of BKK, about a 3 hr drive and can tell you that the drivers are professional and careful.

They have regular rest stops between runs and on longer trips the buses carry more than one driver.

Very few are young men which I suspect equates with experienced.

I see many accidents on the roads, like 5 when travelling home from BKK last Thursday but very rarely one involving a bus.

I have no problems with travelling on a bus, cant say the same for mini vans though, tried them years ago and not for me.

Don't be so wet!

If the roads and visibility are that bad then the driver should slow right down so he can cope with conditions.

Only one vehicle involved, of course it was the driver to blame.

Or the guy who decided to save money on a mechanic or replacement parts.

RIP for those who died .

Whenever you step inside a car ,bus,taxi......driven by a thai driver ,u know that your live is in danger !

Great danger !:(

The more "experienced" the driver,the more dangerous !

These acidents happen every day ,with drivers like this its only a normal thing to happen.

So,i never never never do such a stupid thing.

The only exeption on this is an ambulance ,since then i dont have a choise.

Even driving yourself,you have to wach out for the dumb driving of every car around you ,

If you even blink your eye,it can be fatal.

Ending with some pleasant news,if you like a good laugh,go to the driverlicence centrum

near Regent School,Whatch them do practicle exam ! Some of them never saw a car in their life

and try to do the exam.....and they pass !! lol :D

Indeed a terrible waste of life, and teachers into the bargain.

However I must comment on the above and other posts.

I dont know how many of these posters actually travel on buses in Thailand but I do, as I have no use for a car therefore dont drive.

I have used buses over most of the country except the far north for the last 6 years and have never been in a bus that has even had a scratch.

I now travel regularly into and out of BKK, about a 3 hr drive and can tell you that the drivers are professional and careful.

They have regular rest stops between runs and on longer trips the buses carry more than one driver.

Very few are young men which I suspect equates with experienced.

I see many accidents on the roads, like 5 when travelling home from BKK last Thursday but very rarely one involving a bus.

I have no problems with travelling on a bus, cant say the same for mini vans though, tried them years ago and not for me.

You were extremly lucky so far,

your bus arrived only a few minutes after the accidents(5),

you were only minutes away from your creator !:whistling:

No problemo ?

RIP to all victims.

I was driving last week end heading North. I was doing 120 - 130 km / h, with a very good and perfectly maintained car. I know that my speed was already over the limit. You can not imagine how many loaded minibus passed me. And how many buses tried to pass, some staying on my side, forcing me to let them go...!!!!!!!! Scary.

These lunatic drivers are definitely not trained for this kind of job, and they do not care about other people lives...

I feel really bad for all those people who have no other choice than using those minibus and buses...

This crash involved a bus... The other crash in Cha Am involved a mini-van... The passengers are still dead, but the vehicles involved were not the same.

There's 19 deaths in 2 seperate minivan accidents within 24 hours. How many did the hi so brat kill on the toll way,,,, 7-9?...for a total of 3 seperate minivan accidents and what 26+ deaths?

Come on Bureau of Land Transportation,

Come on traffic police,

Come on politicians, clean it up;

Or is this thai way of population control?

RIP to all victims.

I was driving last week end heading North. I was doing 120 - 130 km / h, with a very good and perfectly maintained car. I know that my speed was already over the limit. You can not imagine how many loaded minibus passed me. And how many buses tried to pass, some staying on my side, forcing me to let them go...!!!!!!!! Scary.

These lunatic drivers are definitely not trained for this kind of job, and they do not care about other people lives...

I feel really bad for all those people who have no other choice than using those minibus and buses...

Sorry was it a minibus in this sad story?

Regarding the original reporting and quoting, let's wait and see what the injured have to say (when they can) before assuming the bus driver didnt know the roads and just drove off it - although that might be convenient for some to believe.

speed controls within the bus (using gps system), limit of hours which the driver can drive within 24h (those are long time used in europe for the long distance bus and lorry drivers).

a waste of life because of a dangerous driving. RIP

So you have ruled out that white mini van that cut the bus off, and mechanical failure played no part in this tragedy either?