Norwegian Man Arrested In Pattaya For Buying Sex From 17-Year-Old Girl

Rimmer

Norwegian man arrested for allegedly buying sex from 17-year-old girl

PATTAYA: -- Pattaya, Chon Buri - A 66-year-old Norwegian man was arrested here Monday afternoon for having allegedly bought sex service from a 17-year-old girl.

Acting on tip-off, police raided the K2M Apartment in Pattaya and found Karstein Abrahamsen naked inside a room with the girl.

He was charged with raping a girl under 18 years old with or without her consent.

Story HERE

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02-28

A foreign man with a 17 year old prostitute in Pattaya? I can hardly believe it. I guess if you live long enough, you see everything.

post-37101-0-84567900-1298889467_thumb.j

Also in today's hot news, a Seattle man visited a coffee shop and ordered a decaf latte.

Edited by Jingthing

Note the " Acting on a tip".

Unless she showed her ID at the apartments to the reception (who then called the law - possible but unlikely), this sounds like a set up.

A foreign man with a 17 year old prostitute in Pattaya? I can hardly believe it. I guess if you live long enough, you see everything.

post-37101-0-84567900-1298889467_thumb.j

Also in today's hot news, a Seattle man visited a coffee shop and ordered a decaf latte.

It could have happened a number of ways. However, any foreigner playing in these kinds of waters had better watch out. Lots of sex workers lie about their age, carry fake IDs, use a friends ID, often bar mamasans promote the lies. Not to mention that booking by computer is huge now, someone can say anything online about their age, post any kind of picture, then show up at your place with an underage ID and you are now a news item yourself and/or a blackmail target by real or fake po-lice. TIT. Note well, I have no sympathy for those consciously seeking underage, the age of consent laws are serious and deserve full respect, but I sincerely believe lots of punters get trapped into this accidentally.

Edited by Jingthing

Of course it's possible that the man hired the girl because he likes young women? But we mustn't say that must we, because that suggests that the expat is a guilty person and it isn't a set-up!

He clearly likes young women. I don't think that is in question! The moral question here for most of us who aren't church ladies is whether he was aware he was hiring an underaged girl or not. I realize for many high morality types an old guy who likes young legal age women and is willing to pay for it deserves any punishment he gets for that. But they are separate matters, and please don't bring up that prostitution of any kind is illegal in Thailand ...

I'm not sure there are many countries in Europe where he would have committed any sort of crime by doing this. Even Britain, that bastion of hare-brained morality, the world's most crooked politicians and the greatest percentage of teenage pregnancies in Europe.

To say that 17 is underage is just plain silly. The notion "raping .... with or without consent" is even dafter.

(Awaits the calls "A witch! Burn him, burn him". Ho hum.)

On the basis of how the industry works in SE Asia, 17 could be considered old? Considering some 'kids' get married at 14, not to mention having babies at a very young age? So where is the big story? Or is this just another police scam to fleece a farang? I'm not saying this is right; its just the way things are here?

Well, I think it is 18 for paid sex in Thailand. In any case, people need to respect the Thai laws even though in many countries and even many US states the age of consent is well under 18. Also, Americans and I think some other nationalities, are subject to US federal law (18) anywhere in the world in regard to age of consent.

Edited by Jingthing

Of course it's possible that the man hired the girl because he likes young women? But we mustn't say that must we, because that suggests that the expat is a guilty person and it isn't a set-up!

He clearly likes young women. I don't think that is in question! The moral question here for most of us who aren't church ladies is whether he was aware he was hiring an underaged girl or not. I realize for many high morality types an old guy who likes young legal age women and is willing to pay for it deserves any punishment he gets for that. But they are separate matters, and please don't bring up that prostitution of any kind is illegal in Thailand ...

I like young women too, but at my age, a 35-year-old is young!

Whatever the truth may be about this business, my observation is that, on this website, whenever something like this occurs, the majority automatically takes the side of the expat, and assumes that it must be a Thai scam. Don't we have any bad expats living here?

A BiB money earner for them and the lady. soon there will be no money earners as the senior still active farangs find another destination, but thats LOS, daft. :)

Yes this could be a big problem for Thailand. What would happen if all the 66 year olds who enjoy having cheap sex with 17 year old girls left? What kind of place would this become then? :rolleyes: Ohhh perish the thought

When i first came here 21 years ago ,half the bars were staffed by girls of 16 and 17 ,and even younger ones in the out of the way bars ,then no one seemed to care. now its a big deal if someone has sex with a 17 year old ,for goodness sake she isnt a child and is working as a hooker ,by the way i am not condoning what went on 21 years ago just commenting ,personally i think a "young un" is 25 to 30.

Edited by thaimate

Forget all the arguments regarding whether the female participant had reached some questionable age of consent, or if the family or BiB were party to some scam; just over a year ago, the Norwegians passed a new law in Norway that outlaws what this Norwegian was doing, regardless if his age, her age or where it took place.

Edited by NanLaew

the Norwegians passed a new law in Norway

On the global sillyness scale this certainly wins hands down.

Most Western countries have such statutes on their books now...including the United States and Canada.

But certainly these laws are nothing on the daffiness scale compared to the Swedish law that makes the act of a condom breaking during consensual sex the crime of "rape." Think this is a joke, just ask Julian Assange.

Whats wrong with liking young women? would prefer to be in bed with an 18 year old or an 80 year old ?

Most Western countries have such statutes on their books now...including the United States and Canada.

Or could the fact that so many Western countries have passed such similar laws mean that paying for sex with a minor is wrong? Most of the posts on this topic have been sympathetic to this guy. Wondering if he was set up or framed, pour soul. Says a lot about the mindset of the Pattaya posters in my opinion. He broke the law, both here in Thailand and, apparently, in several other countries also. I dont have any sympathy for him.

Well, I think it is 18 for paid sex in Thailand. In any case, people need to respect the Thai laws even though in many countries and even many US states the age of consent is well under 18. Also, Americans and I think some other nationalities, are subject to US federal law (18) anywhere in the world in regard to age of consent.

The age of consent for paid-for sex is 18 in most countries, including Thailand, USA and the UK.

It would be interesting to know how the police were tipped off about this particular incident.

Or could the fact that so many Western countries have passed such similar laws mean that paying for sex with a minor is wrong? Most of the posts on this topic have been sympathetic to this guy. Wondering if he was set up or framed, pour soul. Says a lot about the mindset of the Pattaya posters in my opinion. He broke the law, both here in Thailand and, apparently, in several other countries also. I dont have any sympathy for him.

Exactly. I am glad there was a tip off.

Another Norwegian pedophile Arrested in Pattaya

PATTAYA: -- The Children & Woman Protection Center Police Region2 police arrested a Norwegian pedophile at his own business residence after receiving the report from the local residents to investigate his acts in having sex with the underage girls.

Pattaya, 28th February 2011 [PDN] : At 2.00 pm police Major Kriengsak Bunprawat (the Children & Woman Protection Center Police Region2 Deputy Chief) had been noticed that a foreigner took an underage girl to have sex at his room, number 10, 2nd floor, K2M Apartment opposite to Sutthawat School, Soi Nernplabwan, Moo13, Nongprue, Banglamung. Subsequently the officer went to the scene to investigate.

Full story HERE

-- PATTAYA DAILY NEWS 2011-03-01

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Again, not even getting into the morality of it, purely from a legal point of view:

-- if he was aware of the underage sex law (he probably was and even if not, ignorance of the law is never a valid excuse) and he consciously sought to break it, lack of sympathy is logical

-- as above, but if he was intending to comply with the Thai law of age consent but something happened that caused him to accidentally break it (doesn't have to be entrapment, could simply be not understanding Thai ID, believing the sex worker's word, a hundred different possible scenarios really), sympathy towards him is logical.

For those refusing to consider sympathy for the second scenario, I say, there but for the grace of God go though.

Another possible speculation. Supposing it was a security guard who called this in (whether he was hoping to be in on a blackmail payoff or not). Again, getting to morality, if the guard saw that this girl was legally underage by looking at the ID, shouldn't he have warned the foreigner of the problem so if he was ignorant of the fact, he could have aborted his misadventure on the spot. If the guard did see this, instead of trying to prevent it, he just let the crime happen. Very moral, that.

Even with that, I admit it's a sticky situation. Supposing another case with a real pedo with a pattern of bringing up 10 year olds. If a guard stops it, there are no easy grounds for arrest. For there to be a good arrest, the police prefer to find the suspect In flagrante delicto.

Edited by Jingthing

Again, not even getting into the morality of it, purely from a legal point of view:

-- if he was aware of the underage sex law (he probably was and even if not, ignorance of the law is never a valid excuse) and he consciously sought to break it, lack of sympathy is logical

-- as above, but if he was intending to comply with the Thai law of age consent but something happened that caused him to accidentally break it (doesn't have to be entrapment, could simply be not understanding Thai ID, believing the sex worker's word, a hundred different possible scenarios really), sympathy towards him is logical.

For those refusing to consider sympathy for the second scenario, I say, there but for the grace of God go though.

Another pure but possible speculation. Supposing it was a security guard who called this in (whether he was hoping to be in on a blackmail payoff or not). Again, getting to morality, if the guard saw that this girl was legally underage by looking at the ID, shouldn't he have warned the foreigner of the problem so if he was ignorant of the fact, he could have aborted his misadventure on the spot. If the guard did see this, instead of trying to prevent it, he just let the crime happen. Very moral, that.

According to the Pattaya Daily News he

a: Had lived in Pattaya for 5 years

b: Had been taking back under aged girls to his room which is why the locals complained

c: Lived across from Suttawat school (why a man attracted to young girls chooses to live at such a location - No lets not go there)

If these facts are true I would speculate that he was well aware of the underage sex law here in Thailand and as a result he gets no sympathy from me.

If the second scenario happened the one where he thought he was 'legally' having sex with an 18 year old, its still sex with a woman young enough to be his granddaughter. And no, he still gets no sympathy from me. 'Illogical' as that may sound.

Edited by Rumcabal

I didn't know about the case history of this suspect. That would change my perception of the situation as well. I was only going on the info from the article in the OP.

Interesting case in point though. The more information we have about anything, the better position we are to make good judgments.

Edited by Jingthing

UPDATE

Norwegian Resident arrested by Pattaya Police following encounter with 16 year old girl

PATTAYA: -- A Norwegian Resident of Pattaya has been accused of engaging in lewd acts with a minor. On Monday Afternoon, officers from the Police Region 2 Child and Women Protection Unit based at Banglamung Police Station visited the K2M Apartments off Soi Neun Plub Wan in East Pattaya following reports the apartment owner was with a 16 year old girl. Officers made their way to Room Number 10 on 2nd floor of the apartments, occupied by Mr. Karstein Abrahamsen aged 65 from Norway. Inside the room, Police report that Mr. Abrahamsen was naked along with a 16 year old girl. Close to the bed were opened condom packets. Upon questioning Mr. Abrahamsen vehemently denied allegations he was engaged in sexual acts with the girl and the girl herself stated the pair had not had sex.

Full story and pictures HERE

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2011-03-01

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

The girl seems to be getting younger by the day. Before too long it will be 'Norwegian man arrested for....with a 13 year old'.

I have no problem with guys sleeping with girls (or boys) young enough to be their daughter/son or even grand-daughter/grandson as long as it's legal. But if the reports are to be believed this guy was up to no good.