Suggested Salary

I have a guy (Thai) who is working about 10 hours a week on managing our house/land/investment for us. He's the director of our company but has begun to take on duites as a facilitator and manager; above and beyond just his signature on the company documents. He lives in Bangkok and makes weekly calls to our caretaker and accountant on Samui. I get three to four emails from him a week. At the present we have rentals and other duties with the company which necessitate someone staying on top of our people on Samui. (More importantly, gives me peace of mind.)

He has a full time job (lawyer) but agreed to take this as a "2nd job".

What's the proper payment for 10 hours a week? Perfect English, verbal and written. Best possible guy you could have for a job like this.

I am thinking 10K THB per month but I usually pay too much in these type situations.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

mco

ps. This would be flat payment. No Social Security or anything like that. Probably just cash, next time I see him.

I assume you have an existing payment plan for him.

Personally I would email him and say directly that at present you are extremely happy with his work performance and ask him what he would like to see. This tactic relies on the concept of "greng jai" and he will not want to rock the boat too much and will probably come back with a reasonable figure. At the end of the year, or for a special occasion be generous with a bonus.

My partner is Thai, gets 100k+ a month in salary and benefits and his annual bonus is about 3 months wages.

Based on your figures above I would think 300 baht/hr which is a little more than your 10k ... but you want to reward excellence and loyalty/

edit --- I would be sure to tell him that the amount you are giving him is a gratuity for his excellent job performance (AFTER checking the books!)

Edited by jdinasia