What Are Reason Why People Would Prefer To Go Back To Europe?

drronnie

Having been living hear and happy as hell, I am surprised why some people are complaining that Thailand sucks and want to go back to their Western homelands. Thailand has many advantages which overweigh the bad and I have no intentions of going back to Germany. But I would like to know why some people are unhappy here and want to go back.

Thailand has many advantages which overweigh the bad

That's your opinion, which of course you are perfectly entitled to. Just keep in mind that everyone's opinion might not be like yours, and for some people, the advantages of Thailand might not outweigh the negatives.

Thailand has many advantages which overweigh the bad

That's your opinion, which of course you are perfectly entitled to. Just keep in mind that everyone's opinion might not be like yours, and for some people, the advantages of Thailand might not outweigh the negatives.

Believe there are many things in Thailand which I despise as well, but it still not make we want to go back to Europe where it is cold and the food sucks and people not so friendly. But are the Thais really friendly?

Having been living hear and happy as hell, I am surprised why some people are complaining that Thailand sucks and want to go back to their Western homelands. Thailand has many advantages which overweigh the bad and I have no intentions of going back to Germany. But I would like to know why some people are unhappy here and want to go back.

I think that is the answer to your question? :whistling:

I am asking this question because the majority of Westerners who come here love it here and do not want to go back at all. However some do not like it here and pack their bags and go back. Some are frustrated because of failed relationships with a Thai woman, some did business and went bankrupt, some cannot find good medical treatment here etc

My wife:

- she doesn't want to see the trash

- she doesn't want to see the wiring in the streets

- she says it stinks

- she doesn't want to see poor people or poor housing

- she doesn't want to see prostitutes

- she doesn't want to see people sitting by the streets

- she says Thailand is a mess

- she says Thais are like cockroaches, too much of them everywhere always moving

- she says it is too hot

- she wants to eat potatoes and bread

- she gets irritated when she sees nice thai girls

- oh, and very important, she misses places like a city center and discos where she can show off her shoes and wardrobe

She's a totally blinded western woman.

I think the life of married women who do not work is too easy in the west.

Edited by manarak

Let them go, I say. They'll none of them be missed.

I miss my mate and colleague who went back to the UK; I think he went back for career progression and technical challenges, and he felt he was getting led astray here which was affecting his health; I think his girlfriend was keen to get back to an environment where she could have a more fulfilling job as well.

I miss my other friend who went back to be nearer his daughter, and he could not maintain the continuity of employment here to keep her in an international school.

Another colleague left to go back to his wife, though they are now separated, but he prefers to run his business from somewhere easier to do business than Thailand.

SC

I miss my mate and colleague who went back to the UK; I think he went back for career progression and technical challenges, and he felt he was getting led astray here which was affecting his health; I think his girlfriend was keen to get back to an environment where she could have a more fulfilling job as well.

I miss my other friend who went back to be nearer his daughter, and he could not maintain the continuity of employment here to keep her in an international school.

Another colleague left to go back to his wife, though they are now separated, but he prefers to run his business from somewhere easier to do business than Thailand.

SC

Fair comment, Cowboy... but isn't Thailand better off without people who, for perfectly good reasons, don't fit the place? They're better off elsewhere.

- she gets irritated when she sees nice thai girls

- oh, and very important, she misses places like a city center and discos where she can show off her shoes and wardrobe

There are loads of shopping centers and discos she can show off her shoes and wardrobe, although she will get very irritated by the hordes of nice Thai girls

My family. Blue skies, green yards, fresh air. Sabai sabai.

Truth is, there is one specific area where Thailand excels and given my company on this website, it's not a surprise that there is so much out-of-breathe panting and whining about how terrible it is back home. :lol:

SC

Fair comment, Cowboy... but isn't Thailand better off without people who, for perfectly good reasons, don't fit the place? They're better off elsewhere.

'Let them go' - I agree; I didn't try to persuade any of them to stay, but I was still sad to see them go from a personal point of view. I was just attempting to counter a perceived negativism in your line "They'll none of them be missed" which reminded me of the "don't let the door slap your backside on the way out" comments that are quite common in the Saffron Glasses v Thaibashers bickering threads.

Thailand was the first place that I chose to live for the sake of the place, rather than the job, and that was a mistake, but now we're fairly settled, so we'll stay a year or two yet, I think. In the long term, I envisage moving the family back home so that the children can enjoy more freedom and independence, and also maintain their (our / my) own culture.

I think that the frustrating bureaucracy of legal residency in Thailand discourages 'high value' ex-pats and encourages people who are less concerned about compliance with the law.

SC

After nine years here I'm ready for something different and new, even if that something is something old. If you drink champagne every day, even that gets to be boring after a while!

Haggis suppers and McEwans Export.

But I wouldn't build my life around them...

SC

A couple that I cared for v deeply (family) left Thailand after living here several years. They HATED the place and only stayed so long 'cos they had good jobs before the Tsunami.

To answer the poster, they hated the lying and cheating (Westerners, not just the locals...), the sleazy atmosphere and were fed up with the heat

p.s. they were also fed up with knowing that they were considered 'second class' citizens, and having to go through hoops at Immigration. Have to say that this is one thing that has definitely improved (most of the time) since I first arrived. Immigration staff used to be as difficult as possible - things have changed and most of the time I find them friendly and helpful now.

Edited by F1fanatic

After nine years here I'm ready for something different and new, even if that something is something old.

My granny's available. You'll have to bring a shovel though.

Please PM with her phone number, I'm most grateful!

It's not a dig on anyone. In the end the place is better suited for ramblers, rakes, and brigands.

Certainly not for tender people or folks who have lost their hardiness.

I lived in Europe for several years. I sometimes miss skiing, Italian food, and Hungarian women.

SC

'Let them go' - I agree; I didn't try to persuade any of them to stay, but I was still sad to see them go from a personal point of view. I was just attempting to counter a perceived negativism in your line "They'll none of them be missed" which reminded me of the "don't let the door slap your backside on the way out" comments that are quite common in the Saffron Glasses v Thaibashers bickering threads.

Thailand was the first place that I chose to live for the sake of the place, rather than the job, and that was a mistake, but now we're fairly settled, so we'll stay a year or two yet, I think. In the long term, I envisage moving the family back home so that the children can enjoy more freedom and independence, and also maintain their (our / my) own culture.

I think that the frustrating bureaucracy of legal residency in Thailand discourages 'high value' ex-pats and encourages people who are less concerned about compliance with the law.

SC

I fully agree with your first and third paras... the second depends on your personal situation.

By the way, "They'll none of them be missed" was a quotation from Gilbert and Sullivan (The Mikado, I think). I should have put it in quotes.

SC

I fully agree with your first and third paras... the second depends on your personal situation.

By the way, "They'll none of them be missed" was a quotation from Gilbert and Sullivan (The Mikado, I think). I should have put it in quotes.

My favourite Gilbert and Sullivan song! "I've got a little list, I've got a little list" - I update it often in my own mind!

Here is a very good reason to go back to Europe. Expats who are unable to get health insurance cover for their pre-existing health conditions in Thailand who would be fully covered in their home countries.

aka the ability to rob the tax payers. :)

SC

I'm with Isanbirder.

I am also surprised by people who have no desire to fit in but insist on giving their negative opinions for the sake of it.

If I went on the dog forum and said I hated dogs or went on the gay forum and said I don't like gays, the mods would kick me off in no time.

(IB - those examples were hypothetical ;))

SC

I'm with Isanbirder.

I am also surprised by people who have no desire to fit in but insist on giving their negative opinions for the sake of it.

If I went on the dog forum and said I hated dogs or went on the gay forum and said I don't like gays, the mods would kick me off in no time.

(IB - those examples were hypothetical ;))

Do you remember the thread about discrimination against gay dogs in Australia?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/359165-gay-dogs-not-welcome-diner-told/page__view__findpost__p__3578208__hl__gay+dog__fromsearch__1

I know, not stricly relevant to this thread...

Getting back on topic, what I was trying to highlight was that there are plenty of reasons for leaving Thailand other than that you don't like the place.

And even some of the people that are not happy here may be missed by those they leave behind.

SC

Another reason to leave Thailand is a simple one: The money ran out and therefore the music stopped ! Of course, by far not all "returners" will admit that this is their reason to leave.

But at any rate: I'd rather run out of money in an European Country, than in Thailand! ( = doing a heavy overstay while selling "som-tam" at a street corner ??!!)

Cheers.

I've only been to a few European airports and really have no desire to see anything else! I consider the polite, friendly and sweet-smelling people of Thailand to be much more welcoming.

Seconded... but... I still live there.

The latest innovation by the geniuses who run Frankfurt Airport is to make people pay 2 EUR deposit to use their trolleys.

You need 2 EUR in coins or you can also use a credit card... how stupid is that?

I came back from Thailand with all my family and didn't have 2 EUR.

Imagine I didn't have a credit card??

On the machine it says that it costs nothing, because you get the 2 EUR back when you put the trolley back into a machine... I wait on my credit card bill.