Us Ambassador Kristie Kenney Meets Bangkok Airport Glitch

george

I am reminded of an event that took some years ago when a Brit entertainer, maybe Peter Ustinov, visited the US. One of the questions to be completed on the visa entry form handed out by cabin staff was the ridiculous question 'Do you at at any time during your visit intended to perform or assist in any activity that may lead to the overthrow of the US Government?' He answered 'Sole reason for visit." It took him 4 hours to get through Immigration.

Probably no work permit. :)

But surely she doesn't need one, the very idea, expecting diplomats to work for a living ! :lol:

I am reminded of an event that took some years ago when a Brit entertainer, maybe Peter Ustinov, visited the US. One of the questions to be completed on the visa entry form handed out by cabin staff was the ridiculous question 'Do you at at any time during your visit intended to perform or assist in any activity that may lead to the overthrow of the US Government?' He answered 'Sole reason for visit." It took him 4 hours to get through Immigration.

Quite funny, for a nation that was itself born, out of a (successful) revolution ! :D

But kudos to the Ambassador, for her amusing tweet, showing her humanity & sense-of-humour ! :thumbsup:

But surely she doesn't need one, the very idea, expecting diplomats to work for a living ! :lol:

Quite funny, for a nation that was itself born, out of a (successful) revolution ! :D

But kudos to the Ambassador, for her amusing tweet, showing her humanity & sense-of-humour ! :thumbsup:

Surely, she was so annoyed, that she tweeted. But diplomatically tone it down.

I'll say she was lucky the officer did not suspect her to carry bogus diplomatic passport. and it kinda strange that she had no one to receive her at the airport. cool.gif

LOL.... those immigration officials... :lol:

Always trying to pull a practical joke on some unsuspecting person.

What a bunch of cut-ups with a great sense of humor those guys are... :D

Actually I feel sorry for the Immigration Officer. That snooty ambassador caused a loss of face. Lucky the ambassador wasn't slapped? :cheesy:

"Snooty ambassador? Do you know the woman or are you just assuming she is snooty? Or did a friend of a friend meet her once? Or are you talking out of your bumhole?

As an American, I am outraged and demand this be elevated to the commander in chief for immediate retaliatory action. (Perhaps surprise immigration raids at the thousands of pad Thai palaces in the homeland.) It's high time to reconsider the special relationship between the USA and Thailand. Also, naturally, send back the elephants.

Never mind. I forget. The other guy won.

post-37101-0-33195900-1299492756_thumb.j

Seriously, that really was undiplomatic behavior by the immigration officer. Reminder -- double check your stamps when entering ...

Edited by Jingthing

Surely, she was so annoyed, that she tweeted. But diplomatically tone it down.

I'll say she was lucky the officer did not suspect her to carry bogus diplomatic passport. and it kinda strange that she had no one to receive her at the airport. B)

There were appropriate personnel awaiting her arrival.

If and when it is deemed a security risk, the Thai immigration officers won't even have the slightest chance of even seeing her dip passport....

And if needed and warranted.... she would be on the flight but she and co would appear otherwise or not at all on the manifest.... B)

Give her some credit.... she is the best and most appropriate for Thailand and Southeast Asia at this moment. :)

Jokes aside, it could actually be a good sign that Immigration has done what they've promised lately, and that was to bring/transfer additional offiers to bolster staffing at Suvarnabhumi....

Note the ambassador said "NEW" officer... Probably got one who'd just been transferred in from Mae Sot and wasn't accustomed to getting U.S. diplomatic credentials... :rolleyes:

maybe its PR to support the NEW immigration officers.

Actually doesnt make sense to me as Diplomats have their own channel at immigration!!

Correct they go through the small fast track VIP area between the two main immigration halls. There are still immigration officers behind each desk in that area.

Regards

Amazing Thailand - maybe they will ask all Ambassadors to report after 90 days? 'where are you living'? oh the Embassy? we need to check the address

And of course we will need a photo of you and your husband sitting on the bed as proof that you are married, along with 2 of your neighbors to vouch for you.

Phucking idiots.

Anticipated reprisals for the coming wikileaks she'll be responsible of.

If you're not aware, the US ambassador to Thailand was "transferred" this winter due to leaked Wiki cables. Ambassador Kenney was previously stationed in the Philippines.

And for all the cynics, cranks and US bashers, please lighten up. I thought her Tweet was funny, and posted in a lighthearted manner.

Why change the ambassador. Thailand blocks wikileaks, so whatever was on the cable, people here couldn't read anyway...

Jokes aside, it could actually be a good sign that Immigration has done what they've promised lately, and that was to bring/transfer additional offiers to bolster staffing at Suvarnabhumi....

Note the ambassador said "NEW" officer... Probably got one who'd just been transferred in from Mae Sot and wasn't accustomed to getting U.S. diplomatic credentials... :rolleyes:

Actually doesnt make sense to me as Diplomats have their own channel at immigration!!

Correct they go through the small fast track VIP area between the two main immigration halls. There are still immigration officers behind each desk in that area.

Regards

Come on you wise guys....

Won't you, if you were a male and a proud almighty immigration officer, sitting pretty on duty at your own desk, minding your own biz....

suddenly, there appears out of thin air without any warning or any prior notification from the airline,

a frail looking female overly friendly in a Thai sense and probably overly zealous also about saying hello in Thai, when approaching you....

Won't you become a little suspicious.... huh....

Particularly, when she shows you a funny looking colored passport.... which you might not ever had had seen nor touched before in your life....

In a Thai perception, a person with such a enormous status as THE AMBASSADOR OF THE UNITED STATE OF AMERICA

surely would not be acting in such a domestic way very much like many Thai maids approaching a master/mistress....

Won't you become a little excited.... thinking.... maybe it is my day.... to catch an international fraud.... during my watch.... ? B)

Could you imagine just how many apologies have already been issued since the unpleasant encounter....

to that.... the public response has been simply.... MaiPanRai Ka.... :rolleyes:

And from now on.... every airport imm officer would never never again mistaken her for anybody else.... :D with all due respect, Madam.... :jap:

Amazing Thailand - maybe they will ask all Ambassadors to report after 90 days? 'where are you living'? oh the Embassy? we need to check the address

And of course we will need a photo of you and your husband sitting on the bed as proof that you are married, along with 2 of your neighbors to vouch for you.

Phucking idiots.

:lol: Amazing Thailand...

Regards

Come on you wise guys....

Won't you, if you were a male and a proud almighty immigration officer, sitting pretty on duty at your own desk, minding your own biz....

suddenly, there appears out of thin air without any warning or any prior notification from the airline,

a frail looking female overly friendly in a Thai sense and probably overly zealous also about saying hello in Thai, when approaching you....

Won't you become a little suspicious.... huh....

Particularly, when she shows you a funny looking colored passport.... which you might not ever had had seen nor touched before in your life....

In a Thai perception, a person with such a enormous status as THE AMBASSADOR OF THE UNITED STATE OF AMERICA

surely would not be acting in such a domestic way very much like many Thai maids approaching a master/mistress....

Won't you become a little excited.... thinking.... maybe it is my day.... to catch an international fraud.... during my watch.... ? B)

Could you imagine just how many apologies have already been issued since the unpleasant encounter....

to that.... the public response has been simply.... MaiPanRai Ka.... :rolleyes:

And from now on.... every airport imm officer would never never again mistaken her for anybody else.... :D with all due respect, Madam.... :jap:

Can you even, even, remotely imagine this happening to the Thai Ambassador to the U.S. Wow, what a stink they would make. :lol: