Mae Sot To Umphang

Canada

I believe DaveBoo and Grandpa Bill just did it a week or two ago. Not allowed to link to their trip reports on another forum (or am I if the other forum is a ThaiVisa sponsor?), but sounds like road is in good shape; just beware of livestock and their poop :lol:

I believe DaveBoo and Grandpa Bill just did it a week or two ago. Not allowed to link to their trip reports on another forum (or am I if the other forum is a ThaiVisa sponsor?), but sounds like road is in good shape; just beware of livestock and their poop :lol:

Thank you, found another forum and last year at least, it is all paved and in good condition. My concern was only pavement. er6n is not a dirt road bike.

"Sarge" is riding from Sarin to meet me in Phit'lok on Friday. Saturday, a.m., we are leaving for Mae Sot, then Umphang. Can give a fresh report after. We're riding ER6n's. Anybody that wants to join is welcome, just pm with your e-mail and we'll get in contact.

Thank you, found another forum and last year at least, it is all paved and in good condition. My concern was only pavement. er6n is not a dirt road bike.

Actually, with some dual sport tires the EX650 does just fine on dirt roads :lol:

A bit dicey but still doable with road tires-

011510Rt1243DirtSm.jpg

Throw on some dual sports and the EX650 becomes a whole different animal :lol:

092609Er6n1Sm.jpg

Edited by BigBikeBKK

"Sarge" is riding from Sarin to meet me in Phit'lok on Friday. Saturday, a.m., we are leaving for Mae Sot, then Umphang. Can give a fresh report after. We're riding ER6n's. Anybody that wants to join is welcome, just pm with your e-mail and we'll get in contact.

Man I wish I could join you guys!!! Haven't been in a tour in weeks and need to get out and RIDE! Still haven't done the Mae Sot-Umphang run and it would have been great fun to do it with you and Sarge. Have a good one and catch you next time! T

Has been a while since I traveled that road, but should be fine road now. I have seen people doing it on a Honda wave 110 and worse.

From Mae Sot the first 40 km or so if flat country, till you come to a check point just at the beginning of the hills. Than it is about 80 km's in the mountains with some great scenery. About halfway there is a refugee camp with just before that a rest area with toilets etc.

When you come out of the mountains it is another 35 Km or so till you reach Umphang it self.

But do check your brakes, that is the major cause of deaths on that road with all the curves.

Riding from Chiang Mai to Umphang on the 10th. back on the 12th. I'll try to remember to report. :)

Update...road was great. Challenging as well. Fair surface, but the holes add to the fun and degree of difficulty. I timed my way out. 2 hours 20 minutes from Umphang gas station to the traffic circle at Mae Sot. Just in case anyone was up for a challenge. Went Mae Sot to Mae Sariang as well. Some good parts, some shitty parts, and some dirt. The dirt was not long and only in two sections really. Again, a difficult road because of poor surface for long stretches. In my opinion the road to Umphang was in better condition than the road to Mae Sariang. In any case, the road from Umphang to Mae Sot to Mae Sariang to Chiang Mai is a tiring ride in one day. Only 600 kms but a lot of corners.

DR

"Grandpa" Bill aka billd766 went there a couple of weeks ago on my Phantom with Dave Boo and it was a good ride.

There is a bad bit of road rebuilding coming out of Mae Sot but the rest was good fun.

We stayed overnight at the Umphang House for 200 baht a room with a fan, hot shower but oddly only one socket.

Breakfast in the morning was only 50 baht for 2 fried eggs, tea or coffee, toast butter and jam. Good value for money.

We ate dinner at a good restaurant in Umphang but while the food was really good and plentiful the meal for the 3 of us was not served together but separately as though the cook could only make one meal at a time.

Amazing and wonderful Thailand.

Umphang is only about 45 km from my house, or would be if there was a road but I went via Khampaeng Phet, the turn to Mae Sot just before Tak, Mae Sot and Umphang a total of 365 km.