Building A House

bhatmasterson

I've been paying rent on a townhouse here in Chiang Mai for about seven years now. If I'd been paying for a house instead of renting, it would be just about paid off by now. I've been told by my landlord, who has a construction company, that she knows of a bank that would loan me the money to purchase land and build a house. But this sounds too easy.

Can anyone tell me about their experience/problems with building. Are there any folks who wish they had never done so?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's three kinds of replies you will get from this

1. You're not Thai, you cannot own land. Why purchase something you cannot own. That's just nuts. If and when Thailand graduates to the league of sane countries, I can look at house ownership again.

Then there is:

2. Prices of land, and building are quite high compared to rents. You can easily find houses that the owners want millions and millions of baht for to buy, but well under 10K to rent! With price levels as they are, it just doesn't make sense to buy unless you plan to live until age 150 or so.

Then there is:

3. While you cannot 'own' the land you can definitely lease it. Also if you have children you will leave them something valuable. Instead of giving your money away to a house owner, you are investing it for your own family. And there's a very different feeling to living in a place you 'own': you get to live in exactly the place that you want to live in, every baht spent increases your living experience.

All replies below will fall into one of these. As for the actual building process, it's a full time job for about a year just to overasee everything and make sure it happens right. I will PM you a link to a topic about a guy building a house and posting weekly updates, it's incredible and shows very well what you can achieve buidling your own place to your own tastes instead of a cookie cutter development home. (Needs to be PM because not alowed to post links.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Well this reply doesn't fit into any of the above mentioned categories.

You didn't mention if you were married and/or had a Thai partner. That will affect how you actually "own". lease or manage the land. However in regard to answering the question about the loan. I have a Thai wife and by asking around the banks we've found you can get a loan, but with a farang involved the banks are only prepared to loan a smaller percentage of the land value (typically we found you will need to down pay 30%). Also the banks heavilly favour buying a ready-built house on land from a housing project. For building on your own land there's more paperwork invloved as well as release of funds being staggered. This is just our experience - I am sure different banks in different situations will have different requirements.

I have been a renter here for many many years. I like that I have an option of moving whenever I like, and I don't have to give away my money and housing rights to a Thai person. I would suggest that you rent a place you like, and don't throw away your money...

11 years at 5,000 a month is definately cheaper than owning I believe :)

I have just finished building another house out in Doi Sakhet if you or others are interested to get the whole story and maybe take a look around - please sent me a PM.

One thing is for sure - if you decide to built you need good nerves - one tip I can give you now reading your post and about your landlord and her "construction company" - your first mistake would be to let her as the builder choose you!

YOU CHOOSE THE BUILDER and not the other way round - and you inspect properties they have built before - and even then the quality is not assured as they might be using different people - I have lots of stories to tell about how everybody tries to take advantage of you and will try to rip you off.

Also whatever she tells you - you as a farang can not get any money from a Thai bank!

You need a Thai person you can trust as the go between otherwise it will not work.

You have two choices how to built - "turnkey" - which is the easier one but also more expensive one and you need to find a good / honest builder ( I am almost shocked to mention "honest" and "builder" in one sentence after what I have eperienced - not to say that there aren't good reliable companies out there!)

Or the second choice is to pay for labor and source materials yourself - which should be cheaper and you are sure what materials are used - but it costs a lot of nerves and time on your side.

We had chosen to built by paying for labor only and bought all the materials ourselves to avoid the problem if you choose a "turnkey" deal - of the builder running out of your money half way trough the project which is quite common here (just down the road from us is one example) - and even if you choose this option they manage to pull a scam on you!

Overall it is a very frustrating experience - but at the end once your place is ready and the way you wanted it - it is worth the hassle. And you are right why should you pay rent if you can spent the same money and one day "own" the place (or your Thai partner, lease or whatever)

1. You're not Thai, you cannot own land. Why purchase something you cannot own. That's just nuts. If and when Thailand graduates to the league of sane countries, I can look at house ownership again.

Then there is:

2. Prices of land, and building are quite high compared to rents. You can easily find houses that the owners want millions and millions of baht for to buy, but well under 10K to rent! With price levels as they are, it just doesn't make sense to buy unless you plan to live until age 150 or so.

Then there is:

3. While you cannot 'own' the land you can definitely lease it. Also if you have children you will leave them something valuable. Instead of giving your money away to a house owner, you are investing it for your own family. And there's a very different feeling to living in a place you 'own': you get to live in exactly the place that you want to live in, every baht spent increases your living experience.

All replies below will fall into one of these. As for the actual building process, it's a full time job for about a year just to overasee everything and make sure it happens right. I will PM you a link to a topic about a guy building a house and posting weekly updates, it's incredible and shows very well what you can achieve buidling your own place to your own tastes instead of a cookie cutter development home. (Needs to be PM because not alowed to post links.)

Bank will not loan to you on a cold day in Hell--now what category does that fall into?

talk to Kensington building company they have a web site owned by a british guy will build you any thing you want to western

standards starting from 5 million to as high as you back account will let you

if you get a thai company it will leak it will be built on the cheep have electric cables all over the place rather than in the walls were they belong

im sure most western people can afford 5 million or they would not be here in the first place

you will get what you pay for so dont pay 5 million for a 3 million baht house talk to Kensington

the only game in town

What a crock. Only Western builders know how to build houses? There are many reputable and talented Thai architects and contractors. There are a lot of rednecks with trucks that will tell you they know what to do. If you are willing to put the entire property in someone elses name and have no legal claim to it whatsoever (seems stupid) then drive around find the house that you like and ask the people who built it. That simple. You will find and get what you want.

I would advise against dealing with expats living here that do construction. They will charge you 5 million for a 3 million baht build. I have never met an long term expat here that didn't over value his/her skills. Since many foreigners don't actually know the Thai materials you would actually end up paying more because they don't often know the simple solutions that all Thais know.

There are many homes that are 60-80 years old that still look good and they were built by Thais.

So don't assume that everything western made is better.

Not that I often do so, but I agree with Winnie 110%. Renting is much cheaper in the long run and since you don't actually own the property if you buy it, it isn't worth it. Though many trust their wives and there are many women in the world that aren't gold diggers, when a relationship ends it brings out the worst in all people. You won't see any of your investment. My father was married three times (in the US) and each one took him for all he had.

• Like 2

I am maybe a little different than some of the renters here, as in I wasn't looking at cheap houses, wasn't really aware of how cheap some of them are. That is due to the influence of my "good Thai friends" who were constantly misleading and lying to me.

So I spent many years, miserable, renting homes in the 20-30K baht range, houses much bigger than I needed, houses I could not use 90% of the space because they were basically non-aircon able ...all these big, open area homes, are a total waste, and you will find yourself living in one room all the time, due to aircon, unless you like 37 degrees, or more, with 80% or more humidity. As well, most of the land I got, which I got because of all my pets, were not usable for my pets, because of the bugs, and pests, they never one time went into grassy areas, but stayed under whatever carport I had, or in the house.

Then I also got houses, that were total nightmares as far as absorbing heat ...at 4 am, my house was still 38-40 degrees, even with 5000 baht of aircon going all day ...in a small room. Or I had another house, an old wood one, partially modernized, and all the aircon leaked through the wood, and the street noise, well it was like living in a tent.

And I always lost every deposit, and moved every year, for years, trying to improve my situation. Not because I messed up the house, usually I improved it in considerable ways... just because they use your deposit to pay commission to your "friend, g/f, agent" whatever, and anyway, just plan on keeping it, so that was usually an extra 2 months every year ...lost. Actually that didn't make it much cheaper to live here, than some places in my own country.

I always spent a lot of time looking at real estate, both rentals and for sale. Mostly what you will find for sale, is at least double the price it should be, sometimes 4 times the price it should be. For me, and what I think might be the best deal here, is that I found an older mooban, or is it moobaan? I found one that is 30 years old, and most of the owners are/were upper class people here, and take good care of everything, home prices are more easy to figure out, because they are actually selling on a regular basis, there are a lot of green areas, it is close to the city, as newer villages are way too far away ...and because Thai people don't like used places, I found this was a good area to get a decent deal, as in close to the regular price, no huge farang tax. And I just spent money to improve the place to the standards I like.

I am 300% or 500% more happy here, than I was in 4-5 different houses in CM. But I am sure, I would not have realized, how good this place is, until I lived in many lessor places. I won't be able to say, if this was a great deal financially, until I try to sell or rent, and then maybe get f@@ked from the owner, as I did a usufruct deal here. But I am much happier, being able to control my life, at least for now.

Now, I think I could have found a much cheaper rental than I was finding ( I think I had a stigma attached to me, everyone in CM seemed to know what I paid for previous houses, and even a piece of shit shack, suddenly was 30,000 baht to rent ...seriously, condos 30 K out of town, piece of shit, condos, that really rent for 3000 baht, but that was due to "my great loving Thai friends" who were constantly conning me) so now...knowing everything I know ... I would find cheap rental, fix it up to my standards, and stay there.

However, building can go either way, but the most likely way, is not too good for the farang. You will pay too much for everything, you will get less than you expect, with everything, your Thai woman, or whatever, will probably be getting rich off commission, and not give a dam_n for several reasons ...could be because he/she is too stupid to give a dam_n, shit is what they are used to ...or could be she/he doesn't want to F' up her commission ...even though your Thai partner says she/he agrees with you, that is total BS ...they never think like us, they just say that.

So, in my opinion, everything here is a gamble, but if you dont' even have the CASH to invest, than you can't afford to buy something here. You should be aiming for some home, worth much less than you can afford. If I need to leave my home, either due to lack of sales, or scams from my Thai person ...I won't really suffer too much.

Okay, well good luck with whatever you decide!

• Like 1

just talk to Kensington the most reputable building firm in chiang mai do not use a thai company as they are cowboys

they see your round eyes and fat wallet and smile as they cream your cash

what ever you decide to do put the land in a 90 years lease not a company or any one els name

a paper company is not even 100 percent legal and as far as putting it in someone els name we all know were that can often lead

just talk to Kensington the most reputable building firm in chiang mai do not use a thai company as they are cowboys

what ever you decide to do put the land in a 90 years lease not a company or any one els name

a paper company is not even 100 percent legal and as far as putting it in someone els name we all know were that can often lead

Theres no such thing as a 90 year lease ;)

There is no financial advantage whatever to owning IMO. I "own" (via the usua lways) so I could custom design and in order to be situated exactly as I please so was willing to put up with all of the incompetence, lack of attention, dishonesty etc. as has already been told a thousand times. But it's a luxury for those willing to throw cash at a problem and not to be even considered on borrowed funds IMO.

Cloudhopper's Law - If it flies, floats or f___s rent it. Applies to houses too these days. Unfortunately I have been a fairly continuous offender on all 4 counts for most of my adult life...

Bank will not loan to you on a cold day in Hell--now what category does that fall into?

They loaned to my wife and me just fine. No deposit even, the entire amount thanks to them valuing the place a bit higher than the seller was actually asking for.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I am maybe a little different than some of the renters here, as in I wasn't looking at cheap houses, wasn't really aware of how cheap some of them are. That is due to the influence of my "good Thai friends" who were constantly misleading and lying to me.

So I spent many years, miserable, renting homes in the 20-30K baht range, houses much bigger than I needed, houses I could not use 90% of the space because they were basically non-aircon able ...all these big, open area homes, are a total waste, and you will find yourself living in one room all the time, due to aircon, unless you like 37 degrees, or more, with 80% or more humidity. As well, most of the land I got, which I got because of all my pets, were not usable for my pets, because of the bugs, and pests, they never one time went into grassy areas, but stayed under whatever carport I had, or in the house.

Then I also got houses, that were total nightmares as far as absorbing heat ...at 4 am, my house was still 38-40 degrees, even with 5000 baht of aircon going all day ...in a small room. Or I had another house, an old wood one, partially modernized, and all the aircon leaked through the wood, and the street noise, well it was like living in a tent.

And I always lost every deposit, and moved every year, for years, trying to improve my situation. Not because I messed up the house, usually I improved it in considerable ways... just because they use your deposit to pay commission to your "friend, g/f, agent" whatever, and anyway, just plan on keeping it, so that was usually an extra 2 months every year ...lost. Actually that didn't make it much cheaper to live here, than some places in my own country.

I always spent a lot of time looking at real estate, both rentals and for sale. Mostly what you will find for sale, is at least double the price it should be, sometimes 4 times the price it should be. For me, and what I think might be the best deal here, is that I found an older mooban, or is it moobaan? I found one that is 30 years old, and most of the owners are/were upper class people here, and take good care of everything, home prices are more easy to figure out, because they are actually selling on a regular basis, there are a lot of green areas, it is close to the city, as newer villages are way too far away ...and because Thai people don't like used places, I found this was a good area to get a decent deal, as in close to the regular price, no huge farang tax. And I just spent money to improve the place to the standards I like.

I am 300% or 500% more happy here, than I was in 4-5 different houses in CM. But I am sure, I would not have realized, how good this place is, until I lived in many lessor places. I won't be able to say, if this was a great deal financially, until I try to sell or rent, and then maybe get f@@ked from the owner, as I did a usufruct deal here. But I am much happier, being able to control my life, at least for now.

Now, I think I could have found a much cheaper rental than I was finding ( I think I had a stigma attached to me, everyone in CM seemed to know what I paid for previous houses, and even a piece of shit shack, suddenly was 30,000 baht to rent ...seriously, condos 30 K out of town, piece of shit, condos, that really rent for 3000 baht, but that was due to "my great loving Thai friends" who were constantly conning me) so now...knowing everything I know ... I would find cheap rental, fix it up to my standards, and stay there.

However, building can go either way, but the most likely way, is not too good for the farang. You will pay too much for everything, you will get less than you expect, with everything, your Thai woman, or whatever, will probably be getting rich off commission, and not give a dam_n for several reasons ...could be because he/she is too stupid to give a dam_n, shit is what they are used to ...or could be she/he doesn't want to F' up her commission ...even though your Thai partner says she/he agrees with you, that is total BS ...they never think like us, they just say that.

So, in my opinion, everything here is a gamble, but if you dont' even have the CASH to invest, than you can't afford to buy something here. You should be aiming for some home, worth much less than you can afford. If I need to leave my home, either due to lack of sales, or scams from my Thai person ...I won't really suffer too much.

Where do you live? :blink:

We built in 2005 a family size house we are happy with for 500,000 bt, a friend built his for 180,000 (no zeros missing, aircon, ensuites etc).

The commodity prices will be far higher (at least double I'd have thought) now, but you take your pick on the standards you want - which no one will agree on of course, and I think everyone can afford something if enough effort is put into minimising the people in the middle. See what a builder has done before, and pay as it goes along and I don't think much can go wrong. Have to trust long term in your relationship since the Thai partner owns it.

I got so very worn out just reading your post.... :shock1:

And there are so many assumptions.... :shock1:

Well mkawish, maybe you have a problem concentrating, Home issues aren't really conducive to one-liner joke type answers. You were under no obligation to read my post, and if that was too much for you, I am so sorry ...maybe you should stick to Thai comics?

Posts like yours, are the main reason I have avoided posting here, although I have lived here for years/ decades. Why don't you add something of substance here, rather than just some stupid insults??

Posts like this, just make people not want to share valid info here, because there is always some stupid ass who wants to pass on insults. What have you bought, or rented here?

Maybe you are one of the farangs here, who can't put more than 50 baht together on a daily basis, and feel the need to attack those of us who aren't broke whore-mongers?

What assumptions are bothering you? You don't even take the time to explain that. But whatever, thanks for your pointless post. I am sure that really helped the OP.

Well mkawish, maybe you have a problem concentrating, Home issues aren't really conducive to one-liner joke type answers. You were under no obligation to read my post, and if that was too much for you, I am so sorry ...maybe you should stick to Thai comics?

Posts like yours, are the main reason I have avoided posting here, although I have lived here for years/ decades. Why don't you add something of substance here, rather than just some stupid insults??

Posts like this, just make people not want to share valid info here, because there is always some stupid ass who wants to pass on insults. What have you bought, or rented here?

Maybe you are one of the farangs here, who can't put more than 50 baht together on a daily basis, and feel the need to attack those of us who aren't broke whore-mongers?

What assumptions are bothering you? You don't even take the time to explain that. But whatever, thanks for your pointless post. I am sure that really helped the OP.

As one, I greatly appreciated your post ... Over the years I understand just why you may avoid posting.

Thanks again for the post ...

Thanks, Tpthai2, your nice message, makes it worthwhile to post here. I may never be PC here for those with rose colored glasses, but I have been here a long time, been through almost every situation that can go badly here, and did go bad here, and I am still here, so I think I am worthy of my opinions, but some people just can't accept that.

No big deal, they will pay later ...are probably paying now, but just haven't realized it yet. But I always appreciate any sane answers here, as those are far and few between, and not normally from newbies.

• Like 1

Thanks, Tpthai2, your nice message, makes it worthwhile to post here. I may never be PC here for those with rose colored glasses, but I have been here a long time, been through almost every situation that can go badly here, and did go bad here, and I am still here, so I think I am worthy of my opinions, but some people just can't accept that.

No big deal, they will pay later ...are probably paying now, but just haven't realized it yet. But I always appreciate any sane answers here, as those are far and few between, and not normally from newbies.

amykat dear....

I want to admit... I admire your boldness and your recklessness....

You have been in Thailand for how long.... did you say....?

What emboldens you to say....

....your Thai woman, or whatever, will probably be getting rich off commission, and not give a dam_n for several reasons ...could be because he/she is too stupid to give a dam_n, shit is what they are used to ...or could be she/he doesn't want to F' up her commission ...even though your Thai partner says she/he agrees with you, that is total BS ...they never think like us, they just say that.

There are many kinds of Thai women, depending on what your social circles are. I feel really sorry for you, if you have not come into contact with any reasonable and respectable and gentle Thai lady. Perhaps, if and when you alter your circle of friends and influences, your life conditions and values would also improve dramatically.

What have you bought, or rented here?

What could I say....? Been in and out of Thailand since 1965.... been selling pieces of raw latex sheet 1 kilo weight, about 5k kilo per week, since 1995... been paying to Thai revenue dept quarterly, since 1996.... been paying signage tax ภาษีป้าย since 1995 <do you ever know what signage tax is?>.... should i go on....? :jap:

I am truly humbled by your assumption. Thank you.

One piece of advice for you though, you appear to be still in your youth, right? So you are entitled to many more mistakes in your life.

Be assured though, on Thaivisa here, there are many members whose lists of accomplishment in Thailand are much more extensive than mine.... and whose contributions to Thailand are beyond your imagination....

So please be a little more humble and contrite when you want to "shout".... OK?

Hope you have a better life in Thailand.... is my wish for you. :jap:

They loaned to my wife and me just fine. No deposit even, the entire amount thanks to them valuing the place a bit higher than the seller was actually asking for.

They lent to your wife, not you. The OP said "I" as in farang. Lending is very tight for the thais, too. As far as the 90 year lease...You must pay 1% up front and the folks at the Amphur aren't going to agree to 1500 per month (don't wear beachwear), and the lease could be subject to the annual lease tax, which never seems to be collected--just another thing hanging over your head.

amykat may have hit too close to home on some of the TV members. I am a relative short timer (in human years) living in Thailand but what warning have been given are from real instances that I know of personally or have experienced.

There are cowboys out there, but I have had good experience with an individual Thai builder, who I would recommend, depending upon what is wanted to be built.

The commission thing is rampant, some would even expect a payment for recommending a builder and in may cases, get it.The on site every day is a must if your building. If its turnkey, you have to check that what is used meets spec.

I built my first house 15+years ago, (2 more since) and still live in it. Am I glad I built, yes, I could give the house away and would be ahead of the rent game, comfort factor, family enjoyment, etc.

As noted we have probably forgotten many of the mistakes we made and/or prevented from being made, much less put them to paper.

good luck on whatever you decide.

amykat may have hit too close to home on some of the TV members. I am a relative short timer (in human years) living in Thailand but what warning have been given are from real instances that I know of personally or have experienced.

Well, she was telling people that anyone happy building a house was getting ripped off by his hooker wife, wether they reallized it or not.

If you start posting flame-bait like that then clearly some flak is to be expected. Stuff like:

your Thai woman, or whatever, will probably be getting rich off commission, and not give a dam_n for several reasons ...could be because he/she is too stupid to give a dam_n, shit is what they are used to ...or could be she/he doesn't want to F' up her commission ...even though your Thai partner says she/he agrees with you, that is total BS ...they never think like us, they just say that.

Then the first person who politely raised an eyebrow got a: "Maybe you are one of the farangs here, who can't put more than 50 baht together on a daily basis, and feel the need to attack those of us who aren't broke whore-mongers?"

That's not a person hitting too close to home, or hitting anywhere. That's a person revealing some personal challenges that I do hope she gets a handle on. :wai:

Edited by CheGuava

Theres no such thing as a 90 year lease ;)

no you are rite but theres such a thing as 30 years renewable lease up to 90 yeas so amounts to the same thing and how many of us on thai visa

are ever going to need more than 30 years lol