Suggestions Needed Please

Longbow212

My girlfriends Father walked out when she was very young leaving her to be raised by her step Mother. Her step Mother does not know the finer details about where she was born or Mothers name etc. This info is needed for getting a Thai passport. My girlfriend managed to trace her Fathers address through the police. Problem is it is in Buriram, quite a drive to only find out the address is wrong or they are away for the weekend etc.I already suggested writing a letter to the address and seeing if he makes contact or at the very least simply provide the information she needs. I also wondered about contacting the local police in Buriram and asking them to make contact for a small donation of the thing they love most.Are there any agencies or government bodies that may deal with this kind of thing? Other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If the issue is about her getting a passport, the Dept.of Foreign Affairs must have some procedure in the event of parent(s) who are deceased, can not be located etc. Is she listed on someone's house registration (Tabien baan) ? If so, maybe that person can assist her in getting a passport.

With regard to locating the father, are there any other relatives who could be enlisted to help ?

If the issue is about her getting a passport, the Dept.of Foreign Affairs must have some procedure in the event of parent(s) who are deceased, can not be located etc. Is she listed on someone's house registration (Tabien baan) ? If so, maybe that person can assist her in getting a passport.

With regard to locating the father, are there any other relatives who could be enlisted to help ?

I assume she has an ID card thats all she should need for a Passport :rolleyes:

As mentioned before. ID and tambien will cut it.

Sorry to point this out. But seeing how she is a GF you may be setting a bad precedence. Fixing her problems with your money.

If she wants a passport she can get one easily.

Please take no offense. Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had considered other family but she is not too keen to get to know them and would prefer just to get the information she needs. She does have a ID card, not sure what else she is specifically trying to get (my Thai is not good enough to get to the precise details in such intricate matters) but I will put your suggestion forward.

mstribling; I wouldn't be paying for her to sort out her problems but I can see how you thought that from how I worded that option. Very pragmatic and necessary approach for out here though, thanks and no offence taken.

The land office and poo yai baan does look like a very sensible option. I will give that a try.

Thanks so much for all you help.

If your GF needs a passport, she needs to supply her parents names, that is true. But all she needs to do is write it in the application form. All her parents vitals are available in her own tabieen baan page, which shows not only your info, but your parents info. She should have access to her own tabieen baan.

The only reason however she'd need her father to be involved is if she is a legal minor (ie under 20 years old) and need his permission/signature when she applies for the passport.

Other than that, there is absolutely no reason for her to contact her father for the purposes of getting a passport at least.

Edited by samran