Le Spice Indian - Disappointing

mallmagician

Yes, another food thread. Fancied an Indian, so ordered a selection from Le Spice and got delivered by the wonderful meals on wheels.

I thought id share my thoughts....

Naan, garlic naan, poppadoms and dips, saffron rice, all good.

Chicken dopiaza - great chicken and flavour, but a little salty.

Mutton korma, and chicken saagwala, an absolute disgrace. If any more salt had been added it could be sold as salt! It was vile and inedible . Such a shame.

Had a meal from The New Delhi a few months back, and it was spot on.

Is this the norm, or was I just unlucky today? I did eat there when it first opened, and I liked it a lot. But this paled in comparison.

No probs with meals on wheels, they were spot on as usual.

Phil

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The time I ate there when they first opened, I thought it was English style Indian, and it was nice. Maybe its my age and memory failing me. :-)

Phil

I think it might be your age or memory :D I've never tasted anything close to a decent English style Indian in Chiang Mai unless I cook it myself ;)

Maybe new management?

Today was a definite miss.

Has anyone bought from the British Indian curry place that is somewhere down south thailand. I believe they deliver, but they have a big minimum order.

Phil

I've had stuff from this palce Phil. Very very nice food to be fair. I've tried one of the curries made here in CM from Rimping (not mentioning any sponsor names) and it wasn't in the same league.

I also know that Brit Indian Curries are considering entering the CM market place so fingers crossed it will be sooner rather than later.

Also, there's supposedly a new place opened up at the very bottom of Loi Kroh near the night bazzar which I've heard good things about. Planning a trip later in the week so I'll let you know

I find them too salty for my taste.

I eat at one of the Indian places in Anusarn market.

I don't know the name but it's to the left of the Aussie bar where you can sit and eat it, if you buy their beer.

Had a particularly good chicken dopiaza last weekend, and their Naan breads are as good as you get in England:

David

I think it might be your age or memory :D I've never tasted anything close to a decent English style Indian in Chiang Mai unless I cook it myself ;)

The last time I had an excellent curry in a restaurant, was in 2001 on a trip home, down Brick Lane, London.

There are Indian restaurant's in Chiang Mai, but none of them can make a decent curry.

The last time I had an excellent curry in a restaurant, was in 2001 on a trip home, down Brick Lane, London.

There are Indian restaurant's in Chiang Mai, but none of them can make a decent curry.

Oh Man!! I'm drooling! A brick Lane Curry. Now what would I give for a top notch English-Bengali curry right now!! Not often I agree with you, but you've hit the nail on the head with that one!

The time I ate there when they first opened, I thought it was English style Indian, and it was nice. Maybe its my age and memory failing me. :-)

Phil

Then you have never been to The Chedi :D

Oh Man!! I'm drooling! A brick Lane Curry. Now what would I give for a top notch English-Bengali curry right now!! Not often I agree with you, but you've hit the nail on the head with that one!

Yes, I know the feeling. Just mentioning Brick Lane curry immediately brings back all the smells and tastes. I think a lot of the restaurants in Brick Lane were Bangladeshi owned and with Chiang Mai being so close, it's too bad one of these fine curry makers hasn't made his way here and replicated the taste.

i think le spice does some dishes very well but i have strayed from the bath and ordered something different from time to time

and always regretted it chicken tikka is very good and aloo dry is a marvel nam bread so so

as for meals on wheels dont bother le spice deliver for free if order is over 250 bht

i think a lot of people that use meals on wheals dont know that a lot of the local restaurants deliver for free if order over a a couple of hundred bht

ok i know they dont charge a lot but why not call yourself and if your order falls just below the limit order something extra

i think its better to have a little bit more food than to but the money is some els pocket

p.s im not mean just greedy

i think le spice does some dishes very well but i have strayed from the bath and ordered something different from time to time

and always regretted it chicken tikka is very good and aloo dry is a marvel nam bread so so

as for meals on wheels dont bother le spice deliver for free if order is over 250 bht

i think a lot of people that use meals on wheals dont know that a lot of the local restaurants deliver for free if order over a a couple of hundred bht

ok i know they dont charge a lot but why not call yourself and if your order falls just below the limit order something extra

i think its better to have a little bit more food than to but the money is some els pocket

p.s im not mean just greedy

Nothing wrong with getting the restaurant to deliver for free, the same as Pizza Hut etc, though it's nice to tip the delivery person.

However, I think Meals on Wheels provide a great service and these types of services deserve to be supported when possible.

meals on wheals provide a good service? i think its more of a case that you been lucky so far

i used them 4 or 5 times very good and fast then i ordered from the dukes one of my favored's places to eat in cm

waited 45 mins before i called the service to ask what the hold up was i got a very polite but a load of rubbish excuse

one hour later i received my sweaty plastic box of slop that started out as a lovely meal turned into a pile of luck warm crap

i was not offered a refund or a real explanation just a limp sorry

only good services deserve your support

and they have lost mine

Having only used meals on wheels a few times I am not qualified to comment on their consistency. But each time I order its been a pleasure.

I live in san sai, so most mom and pops won't deliver this far out. Meals on wheels do, albeit for a slight increAse in the delivery charge.

Anyway, let's keep on topic and talk curry. :-)

Chedi, sounds good. What are the prices like? I know they aren't cheap but it may be an idea for a treat if the price isn't too high.

Phil

Phil

Give me your recipe please, I cook a lot but there is something missing and dont know what it is, I roast my spices and use ghee etc.

meals on wheals provide a good service? i think its more of a case that you been lucky so far

i used them 4 or 5 times very good and fast then i ordered from the dukes one of my favored's places to eat in cm

waited 45 mins before i called the service to ask what the hold up was i got a very polite but a load of rubbish excuse

one hour later i received my sweaty plastic box of slop that started out as a lovely meal turned into a pile of luck warm crap

and they have lost mine

Never had a problem with MOH and have ordered more than 40 times.

and they have lost mine

OK to clarify, you are not blaming Dukes, but the MOW delivery service.

and they have lost mine

Never had a problem with MOH and have ordered more than 40 times.

Back on to curry.

MOW cannot deliver a decent curry, because quite honestly there isn't one, unless The Chedi provides the goods.......but that's not somewhere I'd have delivery from - eat in only..

in no way shape or form do i blame ducks at all i find there menu one of the best in cm for price and quality

there service is great there staff are polite friendly and well trained you can say what you like about our american friends but one thing

they know is how to cook real tasty not very healthy maybe but great food

there burgers are the best in town i dont know how they do it for the price but im glad they do

thats why i was so disappointed about waiting almost 2 hours for a patty melt (try one if you have not already outstanding)

and receiving a warm soggy pile of slop maybe i picked the wrong day and maybe the driver got lost but why employ a driver that cant find his way around ?

Phil

Give me your recipe please, I cook a lot but there is something missing and dont know what it is, I roast my spices and use ghee etc.

Here is a basic curry sauce recipe for a British style Curry, I buy my ingredients from the Indian spice stall in Warawot Market, make this sauce in bulk and freeze it. I've been trying to make indian flat bread but my results have been pretty rubbish so far :annoyed:

Description

The recipe makes between 8 and 9 fl oz of Sauce which is enough for 2 main course curries or a main course and some side dishes. The recipe doesn't work as well if you try to make a smaller portion. It will double nicely if you're making a number of curries but you will need to extend the cooking time a bit. If you have some sauce left over it will keep in good condition in the freezer but only for a few weeks. Even small amounts are useful for making a quick one-portion curry, it goes a long way. Remember to wrap it up well or your ice-cream may take on a strange taste!.

Ingredients

3 tablespoons vegetable oil or ghee

1 medium onion - finely chopped

4 cloves garlic - peeled and sliced

1.5 inch piece root ginger - peeled and thinly sliced (it should look about the same volume as the garlic)

(optional) 2 mild fleshy green chillies - de-seeded and veined then chopped

half teaspoon turmeric powder

half teaspoon ground cumin seed

half teaspoon ground coriander seed

5 tablespoons plain passata

Heat the oil in a heavy pan then add the chopped onion and stir for a few minutes with the heat on high.

Add the ginger, garlic and green chilli (if using). Stir for 30 seconds then put the heat down to very low.

Cook for 15 minutes stirring from time to time making sure nothing browns or burns.

Add the turmeric, cumin and coriander and cook, still very gently, for a further 5 minutes. Don't burn the spices or the sauce will taste horrid - sprinkle on a few drops of water if you're worried.

Take off the heat and cool a little. Put 4 fl oz cold water in a blender, add the contents of the pan and whizz until very smooth. Add the passata and stir.

Put the puréed mixture back into the pan and cook for 20 - 30 minutes (the longer the better) over very low heat stirring occasionally. You can add a little hot water if it starts to catch on the pan but the idea is to gently "fry" the sauce which will darken in colour to an orangy brown. The final texture should be something like good tomato ketchup. Warning - it WILL gloop occasionally and splatter over your cooker, it's the price you have to pay!

in no way shape or form do i blame ducks at all i find there menu one of the best in cm for price and quality

there service is great there staff are polite friendly and well trained you can say what you like about our american friends but one thing

they know is how to cook real tasty not very healthy maybe but great food

there burgers are the best in town i dont know how they do it for the price but im glad they do

thats why i was so disappointed about waiting almost 2 hours for a patty melt (try one if you have not already outstanding)

and receiving a warm soggy pile of slop maybe i picked the wrong day and maybe the driver got lost but why employ a driver that cant find his way around ?

I have pm'd you , apologised and requested that you contact me about the service you recieved but instead you feel the need to do it on an open forum.

In your earlier quote you said you waited an hour but now it's gone up to 2 ??

Sometime as I mentioned in the PM we do get busy at times as other business do so ther can be delays. I have waited in restaurants for 30-40 minutes to be served in house as they are full.

Also yes all my drivers donot know every single soi, nook or cranny in CM (some who have been with me for 3 years) because it is not that well sign posted and mapped out so sometimes it does take a while to find a place.

Actually, the comment above about open forum comments is an interesting one. What is the etiquette for delivery service meals where the restaurant is at fault and not the delivery service.

Going to write this one off as bad luck, but in the future under the same circumstances, should I call the restaurant directly, or communicate through the delivery service as they are effectively the middle man?

Actually, the comment above about open forum comments is an interesting one. What is the etiquette for delivery service meals where the restaurant is at fault and not the delivery service.

Going to write this one off as bad luck, but in the future under the same circumstances, should I call the restaurant directly, or communicate through the delivery service as they are effectively the middle man?

I have had occasion to speak with MOH about restaurant food issues, not their delivery service, and they have always taken it up with the restaurant and then provided me a prompt very fair response.