Voltage Issue

Fanta

question... i am bringing my laptop with me to los... my power supply says 100-240v will it work as long as i have a simple plug adaptor to make my north american plug into se asia?? i dont need a voltage converter?? plus i was told that voltage converters or for only short term use anyway.. also if my other appliances etc. that say 100-240v are they cool to??

Khap mak khrap!

Laptop PSUs are usually 'universal' and don't have switches to change the voltage (unlike your desktop which probably does).

Any items with a label that says 100-240V will work anywhere without adjustments.

Be very careful with items that are not 'technology' as they tend to be designed down to a price and will be 110V only, you will need a converter for these.

Also watch out that the Thai wall socket is the same as the US (exept that its got 220V coming out of it), it is SOOO easy to plug something in without thinking, phut!!

As a regular traveller I find this site:-

http://kropla.com/electric2.htm

invaluable, even has pictures of the sockets.

Edited by Crossy

My laptop is so labled and I bought a transformer so I would not have a problem. After a while, I tried it without and it worked fine on the local current.

I do use a surge protector with many plugs, as it is rare when you don't need additional outlets and current interruptions in Thailand are common.

question... i am bringing  my laptop with me to los... my power supply says 100-240v will it work as long as i have a simple plug adaptor to make my north american plug into se asia?? i dont need a voltage converter?? plus i was told that voltage converters or for only short term use anyway.. also if my other appliances etc. that say 100-240v are they cool to??

Khap mak khrap!

It should be Khap Khun Mak Khrap. :o

Agreed, my mobile charger says 100-240 on it and it has worked here just fine since July. The plug pins fit, absolutely no problem.

And for a laptop I would say a surge protector would be minimum. living where the electricity fluctuates (and often dies) I would invest in a UPS here in Thailand if you think you will keep it plugged in alot and if you won't be moving around alot.

I believe a laptop is going to be operating on DC power even when plugged in so a UPS or surge protector would not be my priorities. A few volts AC change is not going to change the DC output that much. But have never owned a lap top so I could be wrong.

I believe a laptop is going to be operating on DC power even when plugged in so a UPS or surge protector would not be my priorities.  A few volts AC change is not going to change the DC output that much.  But have never owned a lap top so I could be wrong.

You're right. The notebook in a ways is it's own UPS. If the power fails the internal battery will keep it running allowing you to save your work. A surge surpressor on the other hand would be usefull to protect the power block (wall adapter) from high voltage spikes that occur during a power outage. Much cheaper then a UPS also.

I believe a laptop is going to be operating on DC power even when plugged in so a UPS or surge protector would not be my priorities.  A few volts AC change is not going to change the DC output that much.  But have never owned a lap top so I could be wrong.

I believe that all computers run on DC power and the first thing the wall current hits inside the box is a power converter that provides a rock solid DC source which is usually very independent of the applied wall voltage.

OK, so then what I'm reading into this is, ultimatly I dont need anything.. I can just plug direct into wall (well I guess I need an adaptor becuase my p/s plug is 3prong(grounded) N.American type.. The thing is I am going to have it pluged in and in use for possibly hours at a time for days on end... Just wondering if anyone else has a heavy use laptop that they are not surge protecting etc. and is it working out just fine???

thanks.

OK, so then what I'm reading into this is, ultimatly I dont need anything.. I can just plug direct into wall (well I guess I need an adaptor becuase my p/s plug is 3prong(grounded) N.American type.. The thing is I am going to have it pluged in and in use for possibly hours at a time for days on end... Just wondering if anyone else has a heavy use laptop that they are not surge protecting etc. and is it working out just fine???

thanks.

Since I introduced the "surge protector" issue to this thread, perhaps I should elaborate.

In the U.S., a three prong outlet implies a grounded outlet and to install one without it being grounded is fraud on any subsequent buyer. Most codes in the U.S. only require grounded plugs near a water source.

Grounding in Thailand only occurs in most houses when requested by falang during construction, and I did not specify grounded wall plugs.

Thus I have two prong wall outlets. Rather than use an adapter in such situations and since I never have enough outlet electric plugs, I use a multi-plug three prong electric strip, usually with a fuse, as an adapter, which also provides some surge protection due to the fuse and convenience of multiple plugs. They cost very little money in Thailand, the cost depending on the quality. To call them a true surge protector is probably not completely accurate, although I do have a true surge protector, which I don't use.

You will have little difficulty, once you get here, in finding the adapters, plug strips, surge protectors and what have you in Home Pro or the electric departments of most department stores, or local sources if you are of such a mind. Relax and come to Thailand, your laptop will be the least of your worries. I suggest that your internet connection will be of far greater concern, one we all struggle with daily.

haha internet connection.. unless the broadband flood gates have been kicked open since 2001 when I last lived in bkk.. I plan to do alot of my work offline and cut and paste relevant txt from my usb divice at internet cafe... which brings me to ask or maybe i should start an new thread as to where is the fastest/best internet in the city right now?

haha internet connection.. unless the broadband flood gates have been kicked open since 2001 when I last lived in bkk.. I plan to do alot of my work offline and cut and paste relevant txt from my usb divice at internet cafe... which brings me to ask or maybe i should start an new thread as to where is the fastest/best internet in the city right now?

Compared to 2001 - the broadband floodgates have definitely been kicked open...

I believe, in theory anyway, you should be able to get ADSL added to any regular phone line in Bangkok. (unless your local exchange/concentrator has already tied up all it's ADSL ports, or you're on a building's own PABX).

The only problem with broadband in Thailand is CAT. They have a monopoly on International lines, and typically of a government department anywhere, got it VERY wrong when estimating how much capacity to build.

Edited by bkk_mike