Calling Kids "Farang"

roadschooler

Hello,

My kids who hold duel citizenship of American and Thai nationalities are confused by strangers calling them farang. I tell them it means foreigner but they respond that "I am Thai too". They speak and understand Thai as well. Yes, they have white skin and look very "western".

It does bother my girls and I guess she will develop a "thick skin" but I am sadden and a bit disappointed by parents calling out "farang" to their children or other children saying "farang" when my kids are present. I usually respond in Thai politely "excuse me, ........my daughter is also Thai and she speaks and understands Thai and it is impolite in culture to point out people in this way. Can you stop please? Thank you."

I have been in Japan many years ago and I have noticed this xenophobic behavior and unfortunately public displays of racism in the media and by people in general. Of course, this was 25 years ago so I don't know if it still is present. My question, is this an Asian feature of their respective culture? It has been suggested in some cultural studies that it is a reaction to the spread of western culture and a lack of confidence by the general population. Also, it can also used as a nationalistic tool to promote political agendas.

I am uncomfortable with calling or identifying anyone by their race and it is simply not permitted nor accepted practice back in the USA. I have to say that my kids are never called "farang" by our circles of Thai friends.

My wife and I are disappointed that Thais have accepted this as permitted behavior in their society. Anyway, I am curious what others tell their children, especially children of mixed nationalities. I am sorry, but I don't buy the excuse that "farang" is not offensive. I do feel in this day and age of multi-culturalism that this is unacceptable behavior.

We have talked about this in detail and I was wondering aloud if Thais without much education or Thais who have not travelled much overseas are the main culprits in using this term. I mean no offense when I say this.

Anyway, what is your take on the use of farang? Do you find it offensive and in bad taste? Is it xenophobic behavior driving this usuage? A lack of self-confidence? What do you tell your children?

Thank you very much.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. It's racist and offensive. They have options but always use the "F" word. No one has ever referred to me as "the gentleman", the American, or even the foreigner, which by the way, is not the "F" word.

2. Strangely, most expat westerners refer to themselves with the "F" word much like many African Americans consider it acceptable to refer to one another with the you-know-what-word. It's wrong period

3. It's ten generations away from being unacceptable to Thai, so we'll have to live with it. I was walking down the beach yesterday when a two year old, playing in the water looked up, saw me, and pointed and screamed the"F" word. All the Thai present laughed. Wow, how hilarious.

4. The users of such, as with those who use foul language, are intellectualy challenged in their ability to locate and utilize words more appropriate and considerate, especially when in mixed company.

5.Gentlemen, start your engines.... let the debate rage...

some just get offensive so easily coz their country back home is used to " sueing ppl " . have to look at the intention of the speaker of the word " farang" u cant control all to do wat u like or if u rich enough support them higher education or take them travel abroad than. :lol:

i get used to when guys here say " Thai gf " here even i dont like it coz why just say only "gf" what the different between other nationality gf ?.... same thing, just try to get used to it and explain it to ur kids this is things that happen here.

FYI ; the word Farang is actually come from " France " as the French came to this continent(country) alot in the past many hundred years ago ( So that how thais calls all white ppl ). as thais couldnt pronounce "france " properly ( they said " fa-rance " ) as the time goes by the word just chance it pronounciation to "farang" till today.

not sure if it confused u or not. :jap:

some just get offensive so easily coz their country back home is used to " sueing ppl " . have to look at the intention of the speaker of the word " farang" u cant control all to do wat u like or if u rich enough support them higher education or take them travel abroad than. :lol:

i get used to when guys here say " Thai gf " here even i dont like it coz why just say only "gf" what the different between other nationality gf ?.... same thing, just try to get used to it and explain it to ur kids this is things that happen here.

I think Thai girlfriend is usually okay. She sometimes refers to me as her American boyfriend. But sometimes it is out of place.

It is like the authors who write novels - they can introduce a dozen characters without a mention of race, but as soon as they introduce a black character they feel absolutely compelled to note the person is black along with their height and what they're wearing. What's that about? It's just wrong. I can now empathize, to some small degree, what American blacks went through in years past.

P.S. Is your keyboard missing letters?

FYI ; the word Farang is actually come from " France " as the French came to this continent(country) alot in the past many hundred years ago ( So that how thais calls all white ppl ). as thais couldnt pronounce "france " properly ( they said " fa-rance " ) as the time goes by the word just chance it pronounciation to "farang" till today.

not sure if it confused u or not. :jap:

Well now I am offended, wasn't before, but the French?? :angry: Hmph!

Edited by WarpSpeed

Don't listen to the Thai apologists, I find it insulting too.

Insult me for my white skin and I will insult you for your dark skin (in the most polite way of course)

Best way to deal with it is to ask the Thai doing it, "what hill tribe do you come from".

When they say they are not tribal, say "sorry, I assumed you were hill tribe as your skin is so dark"

Don't listen to the Thai apologists, I find it insulting too.

Insult me for my white skin and I will insult you for your dark skin (in the most polite way of course)

Best way to deal with it is to ask the Thai doing it, "what hill tribe do you come from".

When they say they are not tribal, say "sorry, I assumed you were hill tribe as your skin is so dark"

That would be a nasty ignorant comment...........why would you raise yourself to their level?

It can be annoying and definately racist when said in certain situations i believe. but another take on it could be how hard the word foreigner is to say for Thai's. my ex-wife's English was very good and she hated saying Farang but found saying foreigner difficult to say

I was at the National Museum about a month ago and there was a very nice display about Thais and a section of their history . There was also a short video presentation. I really liked the part of "I am Thai". It was really well done, I thought. It showed Thai children from all walks of life each stating "I am Thai." Kids were shown from Issarn, Bangkok, other regions. hill tribes, cities, small towns, farmers, and different religions. There were even white children saying "I am Thai". It really made you think, what is Thai? Who is Thai?

It's a shame that they do not make this a national campaign on TV, radio, and even at movie houses. This would do wonders bringing all Thai people together and not creating divisions or exclusions of people based on skin color, race, or religion.

Thanks for your opinions.

All the best.

It can be annoying and definately racist when said in certain situations i believe. but another take on it could be how hard the word foreigner is to say for Thai's. my ex-wife's English was very good and she hated saying Farang but found saying foreigner difficult to say

Uhm, BKKHatter, they actually have a word in Thai, believe it or not, for foreigner, which, since it is in Thai, and they speak Thai, is not hard to pronounce. Yet they persist, in conversations amongst themselves even, to use the "F" word. Even then, would you, in conversation with friends while back in your home country, consider it appropriate to keep using the word, "foreigner" when referring to someone who was not from your country? Would you teach your children to do so? I think not. You are above that.

As a matter of fact, the Thai language also has words such as gentleman, lady, individual, person (can you believe it!), visitor, patron, customer, fare, rider, passenger (whew!), guest, student, passerby, tennant, and oh so many more words that could be used in a myriad of situations, but, no, NO,not just no but hell no, let's always call 'em the "F" word!

I'm okay. (Deep breath) I'm okay.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and what about westerner? I'd even take that as an improvement.

Edited by happyrobert

Gee....

Never in a million years would I ever imagine that there are so many comrades here who are so overly sensitive to be called farang.

In China, you would be referred to as Red Hair Devil (Hoong Mow Gui).

Yes, in Hongkong, you would be referred to Gwai-Low.

One best way to avoid being referred to as farang, is to never leave the comfort of our own countries.

Just stay comfortably in the environ that we are accustomed to, then no one would call us name that we feel we are not entitled to. :rolleyes:

Who on earth are these low class and low life form to dare to call us superior white skin; farang, red hair devil and gwai-low.... ha ha ha :lol:

Doesn't any of them realize that people in continents other than our countries, ought to kow-town to us wherever we set our size 14 foot on.

If you fail to pay homage to us showing us supreme respect or listen to our demand for your vast natural resources, such as black gold;

just watch your night sky, you would undoubtedly realize that those streaks of lightning flaring up above your heads are our reminder to everyone, who is really in charge. If any of you ever have any doubt at all, just ask Mr. Ga.... B)

However, there are several of us bunch here who just laugh out loud when some one calls us farang.... and we in turn would respond immediately with....

and you are Kee-Nok (bird dropping).

One of the old Thai referendum to foreigners is.... Farung Kee-Nok, Hork-Bai, Song-Sar-Luuong.... <Fair skin are like bird dropping, six pieces for two quarters>

Come on you all, we are in Thailand for goodness sake.... we all do have excellent self-concept, right? That is one reason why we travel around the world to experience different spices in life, correct?

Cheers, comrades. OK, I promise by my two 24k golden chopsticks that I would not ever ever refer to any of you as Farang ever again after tomorrow.... OK? :jap:

I completely understand you. Our son (thai/german citizenship) is called as of his white skin as well a lot of times farang. I have never understood this phrase as a lot of countries name a foreigner as of his citizenship origin e.g German, Swedish, Norwegian etc..

I wouldn't go that far to call it racism. For me as a german the Thai pride is sometimes anyway questionable as they have tendencies which we (germany) had in the years of our black past as well.

Do i as a german have a common special name for people from Asia? No i don't.

I got mad in the past and had a long chat with my girlfriend about this. When i visited her family the phrase farang was nearly in every second sentence and it was more as obvious that on top of it i was the main point of discussion.

I told her to explain that i have first of all a name that i can be called by and secondly that people from there country where i was born are named as Germans in the english language. This behaviour make me question a lot of times the so "famous" thai hospitality.

The experiences that i have made are more in a way that Thailand's citizen very often hide themselve behind a smile and that they feel for whatever reason superior to others.

I prefer a straight word of disrespect from a person as i frist of all can face the truth and on the other i immediately know where i stay in the opinion of my counter-part.

In discussions with my girfriend i asked her a lot of times if Thailand is so superior and everything is so beautiful there why her country is still far far behind all the other nations which they admire (copy) so much. Of course an answer is still open.

Anyway, i do not judge and evaluate a person through their nationality.

Cheers,

Morpheus

Edited by Morpheus73

It has been mentioned before about the Thai using nicknames, steeped in superstition I understand, so would they be doing you diservice in their eyes to call you by your real name? Just a thought.

When my family came along I am now known as papa...followed by my childrens names. Of course to people who do not know me or my family I am still Farang, but then.....what do I call them.....I have no idea of their names.

I do feel for children who are called farang and it does happen to mine occasionally, fortunately I have tried to make decisions that ensure they are viewed first and foremost as Thai. I think it helps that they play with and have support of many relatives and cousins etc who see them as Thai and go to school with them.

In short at this early stage of their lives they are Thai with a farang Papa, rightly or wrongly that is the decision I made. Later when they can make their own choices we will see.

I wouldn't go that far to call it racism. For me as a german the Thai pride is sometimes anyway questionable as they have tendencies which we (germany) had in the years of our black past as well.

Well you would be wrong, you are called the name not because of the country of your birth, but because of the colour of your skin (and the shape of your face), which is racism.

When my family came along I am now known as papa...followed by my childrens names. Of course to people who do not know me or my family I am still Farang, but then.....what do I call them.....I have no idea of their names.

Papa ... another insult IMHO

So your family can remember the Thai children's names, but not bother with yours because you have white skin!

And what is unbelievable, is you accept that and try to explain it away. Nobody who did that to me would EVER set foot in my house.

Here is a novel idea, those Thais who know us might try to remember our names or give us an individual nickname, just like they would do with Thais they meet. Rather than just call us 'old man' or 'whitey'

Edited by pjclark1

Gee....

Never in a million years would I ever imagine that there are so many comrades here who are so overly sensitive to be called farang.

One best way to avoid being referred to as farang, is to never leave the comfort of our own countries.

Just stay comfortably in the environ that we are accustomed to, then no one would call us name that we feel we are not entitled to. :rolleyes:

Who on earth are these low class and low life form to dare to call us superior white skin; farang, red hair devil and gwai-low.... ha ha ha :lol:

Doesn't any of them realize that people in continents other than our countries, ought to kow-town to us wherever we set our size 14 foot on.

If you fail to pay homage to us showing us supreme respect or listen to our demand for your vast natural resources, such as black gold;

just watch your night sky, you would undoubtedly realize that those streaks of lightning flaring up above your heads are our reminder to everyone, who is really in charge. If any of you ever have any doubt at all, just ask Mr. Ga.... B)

However, there are several of us bunch here who just laugh out loud when some one calls us farang.... and we in turn would respond immediately with....

One of the old Thai referendum to foreigners is.... Farung Kee-Nok, Hork-Bai, Song-Sar-Luuong.... <Fair skin are like bird dropping, six pieces for two quarters>

Come on you all, we are in Thailand for goodness sake.... we all do have excellent self-concept, right? That is one reason why we travel around the world to experience different spices in life, correct?

Cheers, comrades. OK, I promise by my two 24k golden chopsticks that I would not ever ever refer to any of you as Farang ever again after tomorrow.... OK? :jap:

Good post and "F"n spot on!:lol:

Gee....

Good post and "F"n spot on!:lol:

No it's not, and definitely not "spot on."

The only time I feel superior to others is when they behave or speak in a manner that lowers themselves.

Seven years in Mexico and never, not once, was I called Gringo

Extensive travels in Japan and Hong Kong, never called Gaikokujin (Gaijin) nor Gwailo. At least not in my presence.

Last night I loaned a tool to my neighbor who I've known for some time. At quitting time, while I'm standing only a few feet away, someone asks whose tool it is. My neighbor, who knows my name quite well, and to whom I always refer to by name, and who is but five feet from me, simply says "farang."

Buy your own tool next time, bud.

Well you would be wrong, you are called the name not because of the country of your birth, but because of the colour of your skin (and the shape of your face), which is racism.

Papa ... another insult IMHO

So your family can remember the Thai children's names, but not bother with yours because you have white skin!

And what is unbelievable, is you accept that and try to explain it away. Nobody who did that to me would EVER set foot in my house.

Here is a novel idea, those Thais who know us might try to remember our names or give us an individual nickname, just like they would do with Thais they meet. Rather than just call us 'old man' or 'whitey'

I am proud of my children, I am proud of my family, and if I had any issues with what I was called, I am sure they would address. But I don't have any issues, because I don't feel there is any disrespect shown. Perhaps your comments are more about you searching for respect, rather than the particular name you are called. Observing your attitude I can understand why that would be.

Edited by 473geo

It has been very interesting to read your comments. It is apparent that it is a very sensitive subject with people accepting the use of the word, others explaining that is not a negative word, while others like myself are uncomfortable with its usage.

I guess my post was misunderstood. Our family is multicultural and we strive to teach our children that all people are equal and should all be afforded human dignity and respect. It was confusing for my kids to hear adults and children use farang and in some cases derogatory words towards other ethnic groups in Thailand such as Chinese, hill tribes, muslims, etc.,

It is not my intention to debate the merits of using racial stereo typing but to get an understanding from like-minded parents of how they explain this behavior to their children. It can be confusing to them and I want to make sure that they understand that this is wrong behavior.

It does bother me because I know the root of intolerance, bigotry, and the need to feel superior to others is ignorance, fear, and lack of self-confidence. This is what I am telling my children that people use this word because they are ignorant and do not understand and are sometimes not happy people. We also study that there are some people who use nationalism to get elected to power in government. These politicians tend to use religion,fear and hate.

We also use this as a learning tool. We read stories about children experiencing civil rights abuses in the US and discuss why people act this way and how it makes people feel. I am quite amazed that my kids understand and I am even more humbled by their sense of justice for others in the world.

I know that many Thais will take offense and are overtly sensitive to any critical analysis of their culture and country. The people in the West are very critical of their own culture and we are always striving to improve. I do have to say that multi-culturalism is getting stronger in the US and the children being brought up in this new and exciting environment will be so much better off than their parents.

I am proud of my children, I am proud of my family, and if I had any issues with what I was called, I am sure they would address. But I don't have any issues, because I don't feel there is any disrespect shown. Perhaps your comments are more about you searching for respect, rather than the particular name you are called. Observing your attitude I can understand why that would be.

Thais are quick to take offense, and like to back stab at every opportunity.

Most of them find the fact 'whitey' doesn't think he is being insulted most amusing.

They know exactly what they are doing, and it is extreme disrespect you are being shown.

The number of guys I know with a wife who has a secret Thai husband tucked away is truly shocking (usually whitey in this situation doesn't speak Thai).

One of the tip offs is the disrespect their entire family show to whitey, as they are all in on the joke.

I am not suggesting that you are in this position.

Uhm, BKKHatter, they actually have a word in Thai, believe it or not, for foreigner, which, since it is in Thai, and they speak Thai, is not hard to pronounce. Yet they persist, in conversations amongst themselves even, to use the "F" word. Even then, would you, in conversation with friends while back in your home country, consider it appropriate to keep using the word, "foreigner" when referring to someone who was not from your country? Would you teach your children to do so? I think not. You are above that.

As a matter of fact, the Thai language also has words such as gentleman, lady, individual, person (can you believe it!), visitor, patron, customer, fare, rider, passenger (whew!), guest, student, passerby, tennant, and oh so many more words that could be used in a myriad of situations, but, no, NO,not just no but hell no, let's always call 'em the "F" word!

I'm okay. (Deep breath) I'm okay.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and what about westerner? I'd even take that as an improvement.

Of course Thai has a word for "foreigner". Unfortunately, it is quite a formal word and to use it in normal conversational Thai, to my ear at least, comes across as a bit naff.

Just like most people don't walk around speaking ratcha-sup or phasa ratchakan, using over formalised expressions just doesn't sound right.

I note that PJ is banging on about Papa - again. Maybe i should tell my Thai-Chinese relatives to stop calling their dads that.

The first time I went to the US of A I was riding on the escalator on my way to immigration counters I read a big sign that referred to us as "aliens", which I found to be a bit off-putting at the time. Could have been "visitors to America" or something a little more folky, but it wasn't .. aliens . harrumph

Anyway I can live with being called farang, the exception being people who know my name .. at which point I must confess it grates a little. But the title of this thread is about kids being called farang, which I do find very undesirable. We had this experience at a school that our son went to, after he came home saying the word. We spoke to the teachers to express our concern and it seemed to stop then and there. I think it was just certain people being unthinking rather than anything deeper or more sinister

I am referred to as farang by my wife's family and our 6 year old son is known to all and sundry as farang noi.

I can't say it bothers me and my son loves it because it distinguishes him from his contemporaries.

I have been called farang in a non-friendly manner on occasions but usual by drunks at local parties so that doesn't bother me either.

Why be so sensitive it's so engrained in Thais that there is sweet FA you can do about it.

Japan and Libya now these are things to worry about.

Thais are quick to take offense, and like to back stab at every opportunity.

Most of them find the fact 'whitey' doesn't think he is being insulted most amusing.

They know exactly what they are doing, and it is extreme disrespect you are being shown.

The number of guys I know with a wife who has a secret Thai husband tucked away is truly shocking (usually whitey in this situation doesn't speak Thai).

One of the tip offs is the disrespect their entire family show to whitey, as they are all in on the joke.

I am not suggesting that you are in this position.

I cannot accept your generalisations, but you are of course entitled to your opinion.

I think as stated above, children are unaware of your interpretation and to call a child a farang at school is just part of the childrens name calling games, I think if being called a farang is upsetting for a child then something should be said. Although my children are proud of their farang Papa..........most of the time I hope..........

roadschooler - although there are a lot of lighthearted responses as well as some "serious" ones when one discusses the meaning or use of the word farang your real problem, as you clearly identified, is of course the welfare and psychological development of your children. The way your children respond and develop to being called farang will depend a great deal on you and your wife and how you respond to the label yourselves.

I think we all know Thai culture well enough to also know that whatever we say or do will have little impact on their behavior. And it is part of their culture to label a foreigner as a farang. Your daughters have a father from the US so they will likely be labeled a little differently than would a "full blooded" Thai. These identifiers are in a Thai's nature. So regardless of how you try and protect your daughters from this "label" they will experience it many many times as they grow up.

The following is from another web site but is pertinent to your problem:

The biological architecture of our brain is heavily influenced by the social interactions we have with others and our ability to both relate to and appreciate differences. The psychological development of our minds is interconnected with this biology; our biology influences our psychological experience and our psychological experience influences our biological development. In essence, nature depends on nurture.

Human beings are social creatures and depend upon one another to both survive and thrive. When we feel alienated from others, self-esteem and self-image ratings are compromised. We either doubt our own worth, the worth of others, or both. When we feel connected to others, with a genuine experience of bonding, we feel worthwhile and optimistic about our future.

http://www.positiveh...m/articles.html

The development of the thick skin that you alluded to is not necessarily a good thing. If you respond to the usage of the word as you indicate -

It does bother my girls and I guess she will develop a "thick skin" but I am sadden and a bit disappointed by parents calling out "farang" to their children or other children saying "farang" when my kids are present.

I am uncomfortable with calling or identifying anyone by their race and it is simply not permitted nor accepted practice back in the USA. I have to say that my kids are never called "farang" by our circles of Thai friends.

My wife and I are disappointed that Thais have accepted this as permitted behavior in their society.

- then your daughters will see the word as a slur and feel alienated from the "real Thais" by these "insults" instead of understanding that this is a benign label that in general identifies them as someone special.

wiki has some good points about the use of farang:

To understand the utilization of farang in the way the Thai people create identities: (1) read farang as a 'Thai production system of power/knowledge concerning the West'; and (2) take it as a 'reflexively tactical method' to produce the 'Thai-ized' version of the West as superior but suspicious outsiders, based on specific historical and cultural encounters with/against them.

To consider one as having Power and Knowledge and as being Superior is not all bad, is it? Most of the really successful Thai movie stars are Thai farangs.

Your daughters are going to be subjected to this label many times over their lives and can see it as somewhat of a compliment or as a derogatory slur - it is to a large degree up to you and how they are brought up. It should be made clear to them that general usage of the term farang should be a non-threatening reference to them. They will certainly know when it is being used as a derogatory slur and then they can respond appropriately. Help them develop an understanding of Thai culture and try and instill in them a self confidence with their place in the world. Best of Luck!

If it is bad, insulting or whatever to be called Farang is totally depending on the intention the people saying it have

The Thais calling your children farang have absolutely no bad intention whatsoever, nor do they say it in a disrespectful way and it is therefore neither bad or an insult

That some of you find it disrespectful only shows how little you understand about the people whose country you are a guest in. And your own ignorance prompt (some of) you to be disrespectful in return

Not the kind of neighbour I would like to have

Edited by MikeyIdea

This happens in many cultures. In Argentina, if you look Asian, your nickname is probably Chino, whether you like it or not.

Anyone who’s overweight is ‘gordo’ (fat) or ‘gordito’ (little fatty), anyone with darker skin is ‘negro,’ anyone who looks Asian is ‘chino,’ Russian ‘ruso’ and so on.
http://www.gringoinbuenosaires.com/argentines-masters-nicknames/

Maybe this will make some people feel better, maybe not ...

Well I always identify a Thai because of the colour of their skin and the shape of their face, and most other nationalities actually, although Brits confuse me 'cos they sometimes look like Indians.