More Cold Weather In Thailand Expected

webfact

More cold weather coming

By THE NATION

30151998-01.jpg

The mercury in many parts of the country will plunge by three to five degrees Celsius for a few days due to a low-pressure ridge, the Meteorological Department said yesterday.

Greater Bangkok could shiver in 19-degree weather while even the South might see temperatures drop as low as 22 degrees.

In the East, the minimum reading is predicted to range from 18-20 degrees.

In the northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima, the mercury fell to just 16.1 degrees yesterday.

Pensiri Trisat, a meteorologist in the North, said thermometers showed just 7.8 degrees on Doi Inthanon in Chiang Mai.

"The cold snap will likely continue until the end of the month," she said.

A northern weather bureau said the hot season would return early next month, at about 39-40 degrees.

"It will be scorching then just like any other summer."

April 17 is expected to be the hottest day of the year, as the sun will be directly overhead.

"But if there are clouds, it's not going to be that hot," the bureau said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-29

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"April 17 is expected to be the hottest day of the year, as the sun will be directly overhead."

Do I misunderstand, I always thought in the northern hemisphere the sun reaches its highest point at July 21?

We're not that far north of the equator.

"April 17 is expected to be the hottest day of the year, as the sun will be directly overhead"

as with longest day in europe (21.6, summer solstice), it's rarely the hottest day of the year. It's usually after that date, when the soil and the atmosphere is heated long enough.

with the wave of cold, rain, strong winds the hottest would be sometimes later on, end of aprill/beginning of may

here where I live is not cold ... it's just mild

fine weather.... love it.

Yep,give me this anytime over month after month of 40 degree intense heat where one can barely function.

22 degrees is hardly winter in Murmansk is it,though I do understand why the locals seem to think it is: I am not too hot therefore I must be cold.

"April 17 is expected to be the hottest day of the year, as the sun will be directly overhead."

Do I misunderstand, I always thought in the northern hemisphere the sun reaches its highest point at July 21?

Remember, this is Thailand blink.gif

My understanding is that the sun hits the Tropic of Cancer latitude line on July 21. Here in Thailand we are below the Tropic line which is why we get summer in April/May.

Edited by apalink_thailand

its scarry to see how few have a clue about the sun and its overhead.

in thailand it depends on the place u are. and its overhead twice a year.

in hat yai its overhead end of april, in bangkok mid of may and in chiang mai mid of june - each for the first time.

and later on the year it will be overhead again.

and the expected hottest day is independent from the sun overhead or not...

Another nonsense prediction

this must be some kind of record for the time of year isn't it? i can never remember having to wear a sweater in march before!

i love it by the way, i wish every hot season was like this

A sweater? You big jessie!

Not sure why you farang feel its so great for you. You came here to enjoy our culture and day to day living, weather included. Yes we can't change how nature is, but, it is cold for us. Do you wonder why we feel the way we do when you make your feelings known, it always has to be about you. :jap:

Not sure why you farang feel its so great for you. You came here to enjoy our culture and day to day living, weather included. Yes we can't change how nature is, but, it is cold for us. Do you wonder why we feel the way we do when you make your feelings known, it always has to be about you. :jap:

There`s a first.Go home if you DO like it? Blimey!

cool - we have wardrobes of winter clothes, if you really miss it !

cool - it is fun for some 'fashion-in-mind', I already saw Bangkok people with scraves, hats, even gloves :-)

cool - it is bad for those sleeping in the street, and those work hard in the field :-(

It's a question of physical adaptability, Thailand has an average temperature of 30C with excursion to 20C and 40C, a 20 deg range.

In the UK for example we have winter lows of -10C to summer highs of 30+C, a range of 40 degress.

It is well know that babies and the very old have lost their thermoregulatory control mechanism, they often die in extremes of hot and cold.

Thermoregulation is an acquired adaptation, with Thais it is weak or atrophied, they did not need it. So they genuinely feel the cold more than us.

However looking at the number of Thais now living in Europe, it would seem that Thais can regain this adaptability.

Indeed many Thai taxis are colder than an English winter, which rather proves the point :lol:

I agree, one of the factors in my decision to retire here was the weather. Now Im feeling the cold.

We should remember Thais are used to the heat, and the recent cold spell has had an adverse affect on them especially the old and their homes are not equipped for cold weather. Bring back the sun!!!

Correct - if you don't like it you can leave ! :whistling:

. . . and the expected hottest day is independent from the sun overhead or not...

As is the longest day of the year, which coincides with the summer solstice for all locations north of the equator. Which is neither here nor there, except you can win bar bets on it.

April 17 is expected to be the hottest day of the year, as the sun will be directly overhead.

"But if there are clouds, it's not going to be that hot," the bureau said.

You'll vave to read between the lines................:jap:

But you know how to produce rain without clouds. That's awesome...................:jap:

April 17, the hotest day - sun direct overhead, per geographic location

July 21, the longest daytime from sunrise to sunset, north of equator, further north longer than day

there are two different natural phenomenons.

. . . and the expected hottest day is independent from the sun overhead or not...

As is the longest day of the year, which coincides with the summer solstice for all locations north of the equator. Which is neither here nor there, except you can win bar bets on it.

Then what is it that makes Thai complain more early than farang when the weather gets over 30 C

Ron maahk

April 17, the hotest day - sun direct overhead, per geographic location

July 21, the longest daytime from sunrise to sunset, north of equator, further north longer than day

there are two different natural phenomenons.

The northern hemisphere's summer solstice is on June 20 (2012) or June 21 (this year and most years).

This is the northern hemisphere's longest day and marks the start of summer (and winter in southern hemisphere).

its scarry to see how few have a clue about the sun and its overhead.

in thailand it depends on the place u are. and its overhead twice a year.

in hat yai its overhead end of april, in bangkok mid of may and in chiang mai mid of june - each for the first time.

and later on the year it will be overhead again.

and the expected hottest day is independent from the sun overhead or not...

Scary indeed! And they say often how Thais lack education, especially on this site...

The sun at its highest point, which in the tropical belt is the point directly above us aka the zenith, does indeed not necessarily mean the warmest day. I happen to know in europe there is about a 6 week delay between the sun's highest point and the highest temperature. This is why august is usually the warmest month. Somehow I expect that delay to be shorter in the tropics - because of the sun's much slower apparent movement and its crossing of the zenith twice a year - but I have no real knowledge about that.

You're 100% right. You can't change the weather. It is what it is. As far as I can see, many foreigners living here are enjoying it, and it's the locals who seem to be complaining.

Not only can you not complain as a foreigner - you also can't say goood things. Wow!

If 'farangs' saying how much they are enjoying the cold snap is offensive to you, you really should take a long hard look in the mirror and come to realise - you hate foreigners. :jap:

Edited by rkidlad