Where Has Power/Electric, And Where Does Not?

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyway seems after every rain the electric going off, so its really time to import some 6V inverters from china and sell it so ppl can use it to make electricity up to 2000W from their bikes, it might be a good idea to invest in it if someone want to sell this things i can provide source and do some business :)

unfortunately this is a dream bike batteries use 12V and the scooters alternator barely produces enough to power the lights and charge the battery , let's say 6 amp.

might be enough to power a fan :)

How many are writing on this thread whilst sittining aircon?

Time to buy a generator.....

Its an ecological nightmare. Consider how many people had aircon 30 years ago and how many were moaning about that. Maybe folks have become spoiled in recent years.

I am up for a poll. Not me, never use it in the house or car.

However, I know a few hotels that do. I save a fortune when there is a power cut. I pay over 6 baht per unit. How much do the hotels pay?

We are part of the problem. Overseized air conditioners, overseized pool pumps, halogen lighting instead of CFL or LED, electric heaters instead of heat recovery, no double walls, no insulation. The peak loads that are the main reason for the problems could be easily down by 30 %. But who cares? The Thai Landlord who would have to invest money and loose money on his managment fee? The farang builder who has no idea of this energy issue? The Tessaban? The farang managed restaurant - happy to survive the low season?

We are part of the problem. Overseized air conditioners, overseized pool pumps, halogen lighting instead of CFL or LED, electric heaters instead of heat recovery, no double walls, no insulation. The peak loads that are the main reason for the problems could be easily down by 30 %. But who cares? The Thai Landlord who would have to invest money and loose money on his managment fee? The farang builder who has no idea of this energy issue? The Tessaban? The farang managed restaurant - happy to survive the low season?

Of course we are part of the problem Everyone is, but let's put it into perspective.

Me

3 air-con units - run for 1 hour per month for maintenance

Pool pump - run for 6 hours per day

Lights - normally only 7 low energy bulbs running at any time. (5 outside - 2 inside) When I built my house LED did not exist here

Fans - 12 hours per day

During a power cut I burn candles. (I have just bought a generator but it is not connected yet. It is for the freezer and water pump)

Near me is a 5 * hotel. It has a number in it's name and the rest of the name goes with common.

66 air-con units in private villas PLUS common areas/offices etc. Running 24/7???

54 pool pumps - running 24/7???

Lights - who the **** knows. I know that there is one heavy duty spotlight pointed at my house 12 hours every night from 6 pm. Huge light pollution from this "environmentally friendly" resort. They even light the street all of the way to the hotel (2 km)

During a power cut the resort runs a diesel generator and continue to run everything using fuel (including the street lights).

So, let us not blame landlords. Let us look at the poor resorts who 'need' soft loans so that they can continue to take all of the electricity!

Environmental issues aside. Are you sure its a capacity problem? If its 20% oversubscribed then pretty sure every bar, hotel, condo, house could reduce by that amount, Japan managed albeit on a different scale, but if theres no direct information or advertising push it wont happen, just in the dark (no pun intended)

Its an ecological nightmare. Consider how many people had aircon 30 years ago and how many were moaning about that. Maybe folks have become spoiled in recent years.

Smokie, do you use aircon when you come over for holidays? <_< Its not about being spoilt its about 38 degrees and 88% humidity being rather warm.

I agree its an ecological nightmare but thats down to certain people that did.nt decide to sort this electrical business out five years ago like they should have.

Fine words Claude but not very realistic. What you say is all very well and most of it true but at the end of the day its largely irrelevent.

Why? Because we are a tourist haven. Overpriced with exnoritant flight costs paid to get here and we have a broken down, inferior out dated electric system that cant power the island properly. yet they still want to charge "five star" prices to enjoy our "boutique" island. Word of Samui and the frquency of power cuts will travel like the plague.

Its a plain and simple case of the oncoming overload of the system being ignored.

Edited by carmine

I`m sure that there is no capasity problem. At the high season from January until the havy rain started in Mars, there where no power-cut.. Now there are very little tourists at the island and now there are power-cut all the time. I have had one 1 hour ago, but fortunately only for 15 minutes.

Fancy Boutique Resorts or not, you will all see: If Samui goes really green, it will be a top spot again. If not, it will be lost among many others. Now the real rich guys dump their Ferraris for an hybrid BMW, the green race has started. There are many many businesses here with enough funds to join the race. No way to rely on Tessaban or Province government, those guys are still dreaming of nuclear plants and the big part of the cake they might get.

• 3 months later...

reckon they saved up enough electric for the high season now all their materials for producing electric is running low.

in Koh Tao they used turn the electric off for 1 hr a day at lunch time.

but at least people know when it is going out and can plan their day around it.

if they turned the elctric off in rotation and let us know and admitted that they need to save because they do not have enough materials to produce for all this island rarther than being in denial and just randomly turning it off.

or would that be too organised for thailand.

my example would be chaweng clsoed electric from 10.30 am to 11 30 am

lamui 11.00 to 12 00 hrs

bophut 1200 hrs - 1300 hrs.

nathong 1230 hrs - 1300 hrs

maname 1330 hrs - 1400 hrs

same time hua thanon

lipa noi and chong mon

1445 hrs - 1545 hrs.

something like that, so there is power everywhere and everywhere saves.

thats my answer to the solutuon.

business can base their business around the times. people can plan their day around the times. till we get a proper plant.

you would think with all that plame oil that thailand produces that there would be enough natural resorces to pwoer 1 smal island

• 2 weeks later...

Hi me again. Anyone know where has electric now time is 1951 hrs 6th september. As far as I know power is out in baileam banrak low electric in bohput and manam . Does chaweng have any or lamui ? Thanks

My powers still out BigC and i'm mad as hell and i'm not gonna take it anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:annoyed:

Sitting on the deck having a beer with friends here on the hill in Plae Laem. We saw 3 BIG explosions over towards Maenam. Bang Rak side of the W from our vantage point. Somewhere near Zarzen?

One big green explosion - lights went out for a few seconds and then came back on.

Second green explosion - lights went out for a few seconds and then came back on.

Third Explosion - lights out and start the jenny. Back on about an hour later.

Edited by Tropicalevo

Hi me again. Anyone know where has electric now time is 1951 hrs 6th september. As far as I know power is out in baileam banrak low electric in bohput and manam . Does chaweng have any or lamui ? Thanks

Tuesday is Walking Street Day in Chaweng. They use lots of power to light the place up. You can expect power outages around the island (except for Chaweng that is) on most Tuesdays because of it...

My powers still out BigC and i'm mad as hell and i'm not gonna take it anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:annoyed:

lol power went out when we were blowing out candles on my mates birthday cakes. we were not sure if we might be needing tohse candles for recylcing