Finding Google Talk For Htc Desire Hd

whybother

Does anyone know how I can find Google Talk for Android.

I just got a new Desire HD, and it didn't come with Google Talk installed (which my HTC Magic did).

I did a search for Google Talk and Gtalk on the Android market place and didn't come up with a specific "Google Talk" application.

If I can't find that, are there any suggestions for a good substitution?

Thanks ... WB

just google "google talk apk". download and install via astro or whatever (need to be rooted)

android market is really quite useless in thailand. about as useless as the desire hd seems to be in this country too.

shame

Thanks. Found it. Downloaded it. Installed it. Failed. No reason given.

Interestingly, before installation it said "This is a system application. Are you sure you want to remove it?"

just google "google talk apk". download and install via astro or whatever (need to be rooted)

android market is really quite useless in thailand. about as useless as the desire hd seems to be in this country too.

shame

As some one who has not so far used an Android phone in Thailand , your comment .. android market is really quite useless in thailand. about as useless as the desire hd seems to be in this country too.

took me by surprise :o

I hope to soon be buying my first Android phone, so I would be interested to know if possible what makes you make the above comment

shame

Thanks. Found it. Downloaded it. Installed it. Failed. No reason given.

Interestingly, before installation it said "This is a system application. Are you sure you want to remove it?"

Given the above message, I did a bit more investigation and actually found the app. It was there all the time, but as "Talk". I should have seen it, but was looking for Google Talk or GTalk.

shame

As some one who has not so far used an Android phone in Thailand , your comment .. android market is really quite useless in thailand. about as useless as the desire hd seems to be in this country too.

I hope to soon be buying my first Android phone, so I would be interested to know if possible what makes you make the above comment

One of the problems with Android in Thailand is that you don't have access to any "paid" application in the Android Market.

I haven't found this to be a problem with my previous phone (2 years old) or this new one (2 days old). There are still PLENTY of useful free apps available.

I also don't see why there would be a problem with the Desire HD, specifically, in Thailand, either.

shame

One of the problems with Android in Thailand is that you don't have access to any "paid" application in the Android Market.

I haven't found this to be a problem with my previous phone (2 years old) or this new one (2 days old). There are still PLENTY of useful free apps available.

I also don't see why there would be a problem with the Desire HD, specifically, in Thailand, either.

Thanks for the comment :)

So basically its a case of if you own an Android phone in Thailand, you can't buy a paid app on the Android market, I wonder if there's a way around that ? :D

The THC Desire HD is one of the phones ive been looking at ( along with a few more ) so I would be interest to hear your thoughts on the phone after you have used it a bit longer .

Did you look at any other make / models , if so what made you go with the HTC Desire HD

So basically its a case of if you own an Android phone in Thailand, you can't buy a paid app on the Android market, I wonder if there's a way around that ? :D

There might be in some cases. You can download and install apps outside of the market, so it would just depend on the developer I would think.

The THC Desire HD is one of the phones ive been looking at ( along with a few more ) so I would be interest to hear your thoughts on the phone after you have used it a bit longer .

Did you look at any other make / models , if so what made you go with the HTC Desire HD

I have been looking at possible upgrade options for a while.

Of the major models, I have never been a fan of Blackberry, so it was out. I think iPhone is brilliant, but as with anything Apple, they lock you into everything Apple, and so it was out. I haven't seen anything from Nokia that would even be an option. The Samsung Galaxy was a possibility for about a minute, but it's too big as a phone, and too small as a tablet. Nothing else from Samsung really cut it, as far as I was concerned.

I have been really happy with HTC, and very happy with Android. My gf had a couple of HTC windows phones (one didn't swim too well), which she has generally been happy with. We actually went shopping for a replacement for her phone, planning to get a HTC Mozart (Windows Phone 7), but apparently it (WP7) doesn't have full support for Thai keyboards yet. The other possibility that I looked at was a HD7. It's a similar size to the Desire HD, but is WP7, and I've been happy enough with Android.

The Desire HD is getting a touch on the large side, but it's thin and light, so sits in the pocket quite well. I wouldn't want to go too much bigger for a phone. It's very easy to use and has some great apps. I'd recommend it.

sorry, ignore half of what i said...

i had just recieved one of these phones and was disappointed to say the least that i couldn't use it's 3g capability or use free wifi. i am using true move. immediately after posting i read tot3g operate in my area on 2100mhz frequency.

i find the market a complete mess compared to "app store". paid apps are available if i insert my english sim card. i'm sure there's a more convenient way but i just use google and install that way.

Edited by c411um

while i am here i may as well give my impressions of the phone.

it's great. i moved over from an iphone 3gs which i had for 18 months and it smashes that to bits in almost all areas.

the default music player is crap due to the volume level being so low. i have sennheiser headphones that i used for my iphone and they sounded great and very loud but with the DHD it was very disappointing. i improved the issue a little by installing "poweramp". apparently "dsp manager" completely solves the issue but i had issues installing it, i'll sit down at some point and iron those issues out.

i don't like the default web browser due to that it only allows four open windows. i'm yet to try any third party brwsers

love the htc sense UI. i tried a few third party roms but quickly ended up at a slightly modified stock one

expect to be customizing your phone for at least a week after buying one

i don't like the default web browser due to that it only allows four open windows. i'm yet to try any third party brwsers

I've installed Firefox 4. It's quite good.

I had Opera on the Magic, which was OK too.

while i am here i may as well give my impressions of the phone.

it's great. i moved over from an iphone 3gs which i had for 18 months and it smashes that to bits in almost all areas.

the default music player is crap due to the volume level being so low. i have sennheiser headphones that i used for my iphone and they sounded great and very loud but with the DHD it was very disappointing. i improved the issue a little by installing "poweramp". apparently "dsp manager" completely solves the issue but i had issues installing it, i'll sit down at some point and iron those issues out.

love the htc sense UI. i tried a few third party roms but quickly ended up at a slightly modified stock one

expect to be customizing your phone for at least a week after buying one

What do you think to the LCD capacitive touchscreen :)

TL

Paid Android applications are only available in these countries, Thailand is not included. I suspect this has to do with the set-up costs, credit card issues or maybe, fraud.

Work-arounds include setting up a Google Checkout account, perhaps in an allowed country, then use an application like Market Enabler or Market Access to 'see'/download the app. Alternatively you could Paypal the developer directly, ask for the .apk then sideload it. In some cases sideloading requires modifications to the phone ('rooting', among others). There may be some apps., or custom keyboard commands, which allow sideloading.

I couldn't find Talk (1,258 entries) in the market, I am currently in the U.S. However I already have this app. installed! Not sure when I did that? Maybe it came as part of Google Voice?

I'd love to hear more about how the OP and others are using this app.

I couldn't find Talk (1,258 entries) in the market, I am currently in the U.S. However I already have this app. installed! Not sure when I did that? Maybe it came as part of Google Voice?

I'd love to hear more about how the OP and others are using this app.

As it turned out, I already had it installed too. I wasn't looking for the right name. It doesn't appear to be in the Market Place, but can be downloaded from the link above.

I just use google talk for messaging. I have it on my laptop too. On the laptop I use it to VOIP call friends, but it doesn't support it on the phone.

I have Skype on the phone (and laptop) and it works ok for VOIP calls, but is best on Wifi.

I had some other apps on my Magic that could be used for VOIP calls. TruPhone (not related to True) and Fring. I didn't use either of them much.

To use your msn messenger account for messenging on the phone, you need to use other apps (ie e-buddy).

As it turned out, I already had it installed too. I wasn't looking for the right name. It doesn't appear to be in the Market Place, but can be downloaded from the link above.

I just use google talk for messaging. I have it on my laptop too. On the laptop I use it to VOIP call friends, but it doesn't support it on the phone.

I have Skype on the phone (and laptop) and it works ok for VOIP calls, but is best on Wifi.

I had some other apps on my Magic that could be used for VOIP calls. TruPhone (not related to True) and Fring. I didn't use either of them much.

To use your msn messenger account for messenging on the phone, you need to use other apps (ie e-buddy).

Maybe it is a base Android app.? Included in all builds?

For MSN I use MSN Droid X.

What do you think to the LCD capacitive touchscreen :)

TL

i have no issues with the screen whatsoever. absolutely fine.

one other little annoyance is the default keyboard in landscape mode. i often press "b" or "." instead of the space bar which can be quite irritating. plenty of third party keyboards for download though