Former Tennis Star Paradorn Set To Enter Thai Politics

webfact

Manny Pacquiao backed Harry Reid in the USA elections. That tells me something about Manny.

Manny needs to give UFC cage fighting a try!wink.gif

I met him once, and while he seems fairly intelligent and capable, he wasn't coming across as being too personable, something politicians need. But if Manny Pacquiao can get elected in the Philippines despite his many, shall we say, non-politician-like characteristics, well, I guess Paradorn can get elected here.

UPDATE

Paradorn joins Suwat in politics, watched by dad and ex-wife Natalie

By Lerpong Amsa-ngiam

The Nation

30153008-01.jpg

Tennis icon Paradorn Srichaphan hoped sport might help reunite the divided nation as he announced his entry into politics as a member of Suwat Liptapanlop's Chart Pattana Puea Pandin Party yesterday.

The country's most successful tennis player, the first Asian to reach the world top 10, said his priority concern would be on sport, which he believed would bring harmony back to society split mainly into two groups, for and against the Abhisit government.

"Sport can bring sportsmanship into society. That is to accept either winning or losing, to learn to forgive and to live in harmony,'' said the former world No 9, who spoke in the presence of ex-wife Natalie Glebova.

His father Chanachai and the Kingdom's No 1 female player Tamarine Tanasugarn also showed up for the conference at Siam Intercontinental Hotel.

Paradorn said he made up his mind to enter politics after graduating recently with a BA in Political Science from Ramkhamhaeng University. He denied that his decision was influenced by anyone else.

"It's my own idea to go into politics. I served the country by playing tennis for the national team and now I would like to be of service in a new area," he said.

"I have an aim to turn sport into a national issue and as a former tennis pro, I know what the significant factors are that athletes need to achieve their goals.''

Yesterday's news came after Paradorn was forced to hang up his racquet because of a severe wrist injury.

The winner of five professional trophies reasoned that Chart Pattana's vivid policy to support sports was the main reason he joined the party. He said Suwat, who he knows well because he is president of the Lawn Tennis Association of Thailand, was his politician idol.

"Paradorn is like my brother. We've never had a politician with such solid background in sport like him. It's good to see that he is trying to create unity through sport. I can tell that a star is born,'' said Suwat, who is in his last year of a five-year ban from active politics.

A champion on court, Paradorn admitted he was not ready for defeat even in the political arena. In fact he still did not know whether to stand for a constituency seat in the capital or to be included on the party's list. That decision would depend on senior party members. But he was certain he would get support from sports fans.

"A lot of Thai people love sport and know me. I hope to get their support. I don't want to be disappointed,'' he said.

Paradorn revealed in February that he had split with his wife, the 2005 Miss Universe, after breaking up a year earlier. He denied gossip that the split was just a stunt to get in the news and draw attention to his path into politics.

"Breaking up is a serious issue which should never be used for political purposes. We really did separate and have not lived together since the press conference (in February). We still remain good friends and she will try to help my political campaign,'' said Paradorn, who showed his was still close to his ex-wife by exchanging hugs and pecks on the cheeks several times for the cameras.

Natalie, who said that work commitments were one reason for their separation, said: "I would like to congratulate him about the path he is embarking on. I know it's something he wanted to do for quite sometime.

I'm happy that he's pursuing his goal and living out his dream.''

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-12

I am sure he will be as effective in politics as he was on the tennis court - opps lol.

I like him and do not know him at all. Except he was so famous in America when he was playing tennis. Plus he has Miss Universe ( ex wife ) from Canada helping out. Remember Money talks and it can buy anything even someone 's life...my take and an opinion.

Interesting take on sport uniting a nation. Liverpool and Man U fans are the bet of friends? Rangers and Celtic? Cheating is now commonplace in many sports, play acting and time wasting a standard tactic, whining about incompetent officials yet being myopic at other times, smashing equipment and the use of foul language. I can see a parallel with politics but uniting a nation? :blink: