Ed Visa Extension Rules

I am in Thailand on ED visa. I was supposed to visit immigration office to get extension stamp on my PP for another 90 days but unfortunately I forgot the date. now it is been 15 days over that can any one tell me what fine I would have to pay them or any problem can arise?

Please reply me.

You could be very lucky and only have to pay overstay fine but you are here illegally and owe 500 baht per day in fines and will likely be required to leave the country (and start over if you wish to continue study).

You will need to have funds for fine and ticket out of Thailand with you if you wish to try to extend at immigration office and should do early in day to allow departure if required. The other option is just leaving and paying fine at airport as departing.

Well you certainly ain't the first student who to forget to show up when you were supposed to for a 90 day extension based on education, that's for sure!! :whistling:

It could play out with any of the scenarios "lopburi3" outlined.

A lot is gonna depend on how you act out there, if you can speak to them in something resembling Thai, or take a well spoken native Thai speaker with you. :) How you explain to them your predicament will factor in too. I'd probably NOT tell them you just "forgot" (it's my experience that just doesn't play well with them) :o .

IF you show up with the documentation from your school to get your extension, there is a chance that they'll just process your over stay of 15 days (500 baht a day fine times 15 = 7500baht penalty) and then let you pay the 1900baht for your next 90 day extension of stay based on education. :)

Then again, they might NOT. .. :o

Actually have every right not give you an extension because your here on NOTHING, no visa, no extension, at this point in their eyes, you're just an overstayer. :ermm:

They would be totally within the rules charging you for your overstay, making you purchase a "7 day emergency visa", forcing you to leave the country and secure another single entry non-immigrant type-ED visa somewhere to start the entire process all over again.

The first thing I'd do if I was in your position was get a hold of the school. Most well run private Thai language schools in Bangkok have people who deal with Thai Immigrations many times a month. They may offer a 'solution' for you to pursue or have a contact they use when dealing with 'sticky wickets' like this. ;)

Like I said, you aren't the first student who spaced out when they were supposed to go get their extension. It's just there's no cut in stone way it will go. :whistling:

I've seen it go both ways with the acquaintances Ive personally accompanied out to Changwattana in this exact situation.

Sometimes the student paid their overstay AND got their next extension, but sometimes a student paid their overstay, were compelled to purchase a 7 day visa, leave the country, get a new ED visa and start all over from square one. Its six of one half dozen of the other. Then again these are my personal experiences ONLY.

Oh BTW: what Immigrations office do you use? Also, if you're not reticent about telling, where do you go to school?

Good luck, hope it works, out for you. ..

Post back and let us know how it played out, just so we know.

Sorry for the long post. .. :(

Edited by tod-daniels