Craft Beer In Thailand

Taggart

I've been visiting Thailand with my wife, on average every couple of years. I like beer a lot, but I'm not a big drinker, maybe one glass a day. To show how personal tastes can change, in the early years I really enjoyed Thai beers, but now to me, they just taste the same as all the other "mass" produced beers all around the world. I tried all the different Thai beers I could find at the supermarket, last trip, and found them all boring. Once you've tried some of the really good craft beers, you know you have to pay up, but you don't ever want to go back. The only really great beers I enjoyed last trip were the both the Dunkel and Hell brews at the Pullman Raja Orchid in Khon Kaen. They were about three times what you would pay for something like a Singha, but well worth it.

These best bottled beer in Thailand was the late Kloster Bier. Reputed to have been created by Nazi braumeisters here during WWII, it adhered to the only law worth obeying: the Bavarian Purity Law!

Then there was Amarit but it must have been unmemorable! Yes, they're all the same now.

In BKK, Londoner Brew Pub downstairs at Sukhumvit 33 makes their own acceptable pilsner and bitter.

These best bottled beer in Thailand was the late Kloster Bier. Reputed to have been created by Nazi braumeisters here during WWII, it adhered to the only law worth obeying: the Bavarian Purity Law!

Then there was Amarit but it must have been unmemorable! Yes, they're all the same now.

In BKK, Londoner Brew Pub downstairs at Sukhumvit 33 makes their own acceptable pilsner and bitter.

These 2 beers were my favourite but were hard to find in most places never mind bars.

Glad to see that a sorted craft or "microbrew" beer is creating an emergence here in Thailand.....

There is a new brew house situated in Jung Ceylon, Patong. Full Moon Brew Works.

Decent beer and friendly people.

I keep reminding myself to go there more often

There's supposed to be a brewer called Tawandang German Brewery at 462/61 Rama 3 Road Bangkok, Thailand. One other location at 51/199-200 Moo 1 Khwaeng, Ladprao, Bangkok. They get good reviews for their Dunkel and Weizen beers.

There's supposed to be a brewer called Tawandang German Brewery at 462/61 Rama 3 Road Bangkok, Thailand. One other location at 51/199-200 Moo 1 Khwaeng, Ladprao, Bangkok. They get good reviews for their Dunkel and Weizen beers.

They have an outlet in Singapore but the beer is not conditioned and they use dried yeast.

Does anyone know if there are any problems getting a license to brew beer in Thailand?

Singjim

They have an outlet in Singapore but the beer is not conditioned and they use dried yeast.

Does anyone know if there are any problems getting a license to brew beer in Thailand?

Singjim

And a few in Ha Noi.

Federbrau may well be the only Thai beer to compare to the two mentioned above.

Amarit draught from what I remember was the only draught beer available for ages.

Kloster was too sweet for my tastes.

My local charges 140 baht for a litre of draught Federbrau.