Sinking Lower The Lowest

sriracha john

Perhaps the influence of Somchai is finally thinning out.....

ELECTION 2007

Democrats in shock-sweep in Chon Buri

An unprecedented election win for the Democrats on Sunday in Chon Buri shows how the local influence of Somchai Khunpluem, better known as Kamnan Poh, has waned since his disappearance in the middle of last year. Olarn Thinbangtieo, a political scientist at Burapha University, asked who could have imagined that all the eight Chart Thai candidates under the care of the Khunpluem family would suffer such a crushing defeat at the hands of the Democrat Party candidates. ''I, too, was stunned. I thought at the most the Khunpluem family stood to lose just half of the [eight] parliamentary seats in the province,'' Mr Olarn said. He could only conclude the licking the Khunpluem family received at the polls stemmed from the disappearance of Kamnan Poh, who held a stranglehold on Chon Buri politics for many years before his eldest son Sonthaya took over from him. Sonthaya is himself serving a five-year political ban, being one of the 111 banned executive members of the disbanded TRT party. "Furthermore, Sonthaya lacks his father's political charisma," he said. Mr Olarn said elections for the mayor of Pattaya Municipality and the President of the Chon Buri PAO were scheduled to be held simultaneously in March. Results of the two local polls would make it clear whether the Khunpluem family was still wanted by the Chon Buri people. Itthiphon will run for Pattaya Municipality mayor, while his elder brother Witthaya will contest the Chon Buri PAO presidency. Sonthaya admitted the loss had left him completely stunned. "I am still in shock. Who would have thought that Pattaya's hot favourites would end up losing so badly."

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/251207_News/25Dec2007_news10.php

Edited by sriracha john

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the influence of Somchai is finally thinning out.....

ELECTION 2007

Democrats in shock-sweep in Chon Buri

UPDATE.... but then again, perhaps it's not...on the local election level, anyway...

whitthayakhunpluem.jpg

Witthaya Khunpluem

Khunpluems still top in Chon Buri politics

The Khunpluem clan remains powerful in local politics in Chon Buri with Witthaya Khunpluem securing the Chairmanship of the Provincial Administrative Organisation (PAO) election on Sunday. According to the unofficial vote count finished in the early hours of yesterday, Witthaya came first with 214,515 votes, followed by a Democrat Party candidate with 87,991 votes and an independent candidate with 5,864 votes. Witthaya is the younger brother of veteran politician Sonthaya (TRT Banned #15), former Tourism and Sports Minister [in Thaksin's Cabinet]. The Khunpluem clan is still the most powerful in the province, particularly in local politics, despite the fact that all eight Chart Thai candidates under the care of the Khunpluem family suffered an unprecedented defeat at the hands of Democrat candidates in the general election on Dec 23 last year. Witthaya expressed deep gratitude to Chon Buri residents for their support. He attributed policies on education and public participation in the local administration to his electoral success. Out of 36 constituencies, Witthaya's group won 33 seats in the PAO poll.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/29Apr2008_news09.php

===============================================================================

No comments from the newly-elected Witthaya regarding the whereabouts of his mafia boss father, Somchai, who is still in hiding following his conviction for first-degree premeditated murder.

The murderous on-the-run mafia boss's family continues to win on the local level....

s2-143.jpg

Itthipol Khunpluem

Kamnan Poh's son wins Pattaya poll

Itthipol Khunpluem yesterday appeared to have succeeded in defending his family turf as unofficial results showed him topping the mayoral election in Pattaya and beating his two rivals by thousands of votes. A new group also filled the most seats in the Pattaya city council. Unofficial results showed that Itthipol beat Surat Mekawarakul, who had the support of the Democrat party, and Alisa Phanthusak, by a convincing margin in a three-horse race. Itthipol is the youngest son of Somchai Khunpluem, or Kamnan Poh, an influential figure in Chonburi, and the youngest brother of veteran politician Sonthaya, former tourism and sports minister. There were 85 polling stations in the four constituencies of the province, with a total of 64,735 people eligible to vote in the mayoral and city council elections. Voter turnout was over 50%. The polls were of significance since various political groups fielded their candidates for the mayoral seat in this tourist town which is granted an annual budget of three billion baht. :o*Itthipol's Dad must like that. It's expensive living life on the lam.* Yesterday's poll was the second victory for the influential family in local politics. Earlier this week, Witthaya Khunpluem secured the Chairmanship of the Provincial Administrative Organisation (PAO) in another election. All the eight candidates fielded by the Khunpluem family suffered heavy defeats at the hands of Democrat candidates in the national election on Dec 23 last year.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/05May2008_news18.php

Yup - it's a sad day when 17,000 voters can decide what happens to all the income of Pattaya.

Has anyone a lerge pork barrel for sale? I'm going to start a construction company and build - nothing!

(But I'll get paid plenty)

Can I be the CFO, or General Manager, or some other high-up (high paying) position that will enable me to get a WP and Visa ? Please please please ! I promise to spring for spicy Som Tam once a week (duties and schedules permitting) !

:o

(Almost forgot in all the excitement over new job possibilities).

It was actually about 33,000 voters (about 51% out of a little over 64,000 eligible) that decided who would be the new Mayor, with Ittipon getting about 17,000 of those votes and the other two splitting the rest. Wow. 85 polling stations and 33,000 total votes = just under 390 per polling station on average.

(If I recall correctly, Pattaya's population is officially around 95,000 registered inhabitants (men, women, undecided and children). The other 400,000+ residents couldn't vote as they are (probably) registered in their home province, or are otherwise ineligible (i.e. long-stay tourists and ex-pat residents).

I'm sure though, that just over a week ago I heard a news story on one of the Pattaya TV stations, that mention the population was well over 700,000 now, and Pattaya was actually the 2nd largest city in Thailand. That figure would have to include all the "unregistered" Thais as well as the registered locals, and maybe does include the non-Thais.

Still, either way you look at it, for 33,000 to decide the fate of a population of 5-700,000 (or, 4.7 to 6.6% deciding for the other 93.4-95.3%) ? Wouldn't have mattered much if the entire (eligible) population voted, it would still only represent 9-13% of the total living in the area.

Edited by Kerryd

SOP for Gov't officials to usually cream between 12 - 20% off the the entire budget.

About one third of that is used to pay for the election costs.

So on 3BIL that leaves a couple of hundred million to be spread around maybe 200 administrive staff with percentages going according to seniority.

Then again I might be mistaken & Chonburi could be different to the norm. :o

SOP for Gov't officials to usually cream between 12 - 20% off the the entire budget.

About one third of that is used to pay for the election costs.

So on 3BIL that leaves a couple of hundred million to be spread around maybe 200 administrive staff with percentages going according to seniority.

Then again I might be mistaken & Chonburi could be different to the norm. :o

Probably more like 25-30% :D

• 10 months later...

UPDATE... some of his assets are getting frozen...

Civil Court orders seizures of Kamnan Poh's assets

The Civil Court Tuesday ordered the seizure of 11 Million Baht worth of assets of Somchai Khunplume, or Kamnan Poh, and his son, former Chonburi MP Witthay Khunplume.

The court ordered the seizure of 11 bank accounts of the two worth 11 Million Baht after the Supreme Court found Somchai, former Mayor of Tambon Saensuk in Chonburi guilty of corruption and sentenced him to five years and four months in jail.

Somchai has fled abroad.

- The Nation / 2009-03-31

Court Orders Seizure of Influential Figure's Assets

A Civil Court ruled to seize 16 million baht in assets belonging to the notorious former mayor who has fled the country. He has been convicted of corruption charges in a state project.

The Civil Court yesterday ordered the seizure of assets of Somchai Khunplume, or Kamnan Poh , former Mayor of Saensuk sub-district in Chonburi province.

Earlier, public prosecutor filed a lawsuit against Kamnan Poh and his associates for corruption in the forest reserve development project in Mai Kaew district, Chonburi province.

The defendants were found guilty and Kamnan Poh was sentenced to 5 years, 4 months in jail and had assets totaling 30 million baht frozen by the Anti-Money Laundering Office.

The assets seizure includes 11 bank accounts and some material assets totaling 16 million baht. The rest was returned to the offenders families .

In response to the seizure, Kamnan Poh's lawyer, Chamnan Chadith insisted that he has yet to be in contact with his client since his disappearance.

He claimed he will look at the recent ruling and will appeal for the case.

- TOC / 2009-04-01

• 2 years later...

Nice family.

Dad - on the run from police for murder and corruption convictions

Son - banned from politics as a Thaksin-crony TRT'er

Other Son - corruption assets confiscated

Other Other Son - mayor of Pattaya

And now a kid joined the cabinet?

Nice family.

Much of the shit that goes on around here makes allot more sense when seen in this light.

Doesn't give one much hope of anything changing in the near future though.

Nice family.

Much of the shit that goes on around here makes allot more sense when seen in this light.

One son was the Tourism and Sports Minister Sontaya Kunplome complaining about Pattaya to TAT may have been a problem when he was in office.

Nice family.

When you see a list like that, suddenly all the bad things happening in Pattaya make total sense. And that's also why nothing is ever done about it.

Nice family.

It's the wife of the first son listed, Sonthaya. She's the new Culture Minister.

203422_100002088038124_6857576_n.jpg

Culture Minister Sukumol Kunplome (wife of banned Thai Rak Thai MP and Tourism Minister in Thaksin Cabinet, Sonthaya)

Facebook Photo

http://www.facebook.com/people/Sukumol-Kunplome/100002088038124

Nice family.

After what happened the last time he (oh, I mean she :)) was in office, we can predict a series of even more immigration rule changes designed, not for security or to prevent people from working without permits, but to push those who are not rich out of the country. I am amazed at the apologists on ThaiVisa that continue to minimize the impact of the immigration rule changes over the past ten years and deny that xenophobia is growing in Thailand. I suppose if the govt. decides to make it illegal to purchase more than one condo and rent it out for income that might get the rose-colored glasses brigade's attention. Or if the govt. decides to do away with all of the old rules (grandfathered in rules) and create a level playing field on which we all must put up 2 million baht to get a retirement visa, maybe that would wake them up. I do not see anything positive down the road for expats in Thailand in terms of visa changes or cultural attitudes towards foreigners changing. That is why I am looking for retirement alternatives.