Can'T Take It Anymore!

geronimo

It's my birthday today, 56 and being an English teacher for half those years, I finally have to post this for all to read .....

Lose - to misplace something, to not win a contest.

Loose - ill fitting, not tight

This is not so much a rant, more a lesson for those who seem not to know the difference.

Almost on a daily occurrence do I see these two words misused. Please try to get it right, in some situations the misuse could actually cause a major misunderstanding ......

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am lost for words :D

Not everybody on TV are native English speakers, so sometimes the grammar and choice of words are not 100 % correct but as long as others can understand you, who cares (expect you maybe).

Happy birthday by the way.

You might lose your cool over the loose use of grammar here. Happy birthday, im a non native english speaker and many times im too lazy to look what i have written.

I hope we meet up in shadow lake, still have to work out the details more. (meaning i don't know what my Dutch friend wants to do when he arrives.)

You will probably get a telling off!, as apparently there are many TV members where English is not their main language and allowances have to be made.

Another common one is not being able to use 'losing' correctly as in - "my footy team were loosing at half time"

:ph34r:

Apologies for double post- keyboard operator error

Edited by phutoie2

Guilty...

When I write(type) I am focused on the point I'm trying to make and not spelling or grammer. I think it is fine that certain people who are focused on the spelling and miss the point of what I am saying are distracted by it. I'm not writng for them. I'm writing for me.

Guilty...

When I write(type) I am focused on the point I'm trying to make and not spelling or grammer. I think it is fine that certain people who are focused on the spelling and miss the point of what I am saying are distracted by it. I'm not writng for them. I'm writing for me.

Ah but that kinda defeats the purpose of posting on an internet board. You need to get your message across. You seldom post for yourself else you could just have kept to yourself. What you said makes as much sense as getting primal fear from some schoolboys at a 711.

It's my birthday today, 56 and being an English teacher for half those years, I finally have to post this for all to read .....

Lose - to misplace something, to not win a contest.

Loose - ill fitting, not tight

Unfortunately more than many (farang) English teachers in Thailand can't make the difference.

Reminds me of "six munch ago I cudn't spel progremmer and now I are one"

You might lose your cool over the loose use of grammar here. Happy birthday, im a non native english speaker and many times im too lazy to look what i have written.

I hope we meet up in shadow lake, still have to work out the details more. (meaning i don't know what my Dutch friend wants to do when he arrives.)

I believe this is the time to form a ThaiVisa Non-English Speakers Union. The fruit is ripe.;)

Guilty...

Ah but that kinda defeats the purpose of posting on an internet board. You need to get your message across. You seldom post for yourself else you could just have kept to yourself. What you said makes as much sense as getting primal fear from some schoolboys at a 711.

What is a seven one one?

Some guys just want to be your mother.

I red the paper the other day and was shocked at watt I sore!

Their were too guys, out walking there dogs in the park when they saw a sign that red No Dogs aloud! Well they couldn’t understand how there fore legged friends could be band. A woman said she would bare witness to this bazaar situation and beet the counsel at there own game.

They called the local counselor and he arrived and offered to berry the hatch it. The men replied that they were bread in this area and it was ridiculous not to allow the dogs to be loud.

They finally chaste away the counselor, effectively ceiling his defeet. The men both agreed that they should be abel to chews weather they take there dogs fore a walk.

Bumper sticker in Subic read " Get closed to God". Not sure how this pertains to Thailand but did I mention happy B-day to you today and happy B-day to me tomorrow the 4th...if I make it through the night I'll be 58

Two thirds of what I write I don't post, but the stuff that I do is aimed at flushing out the OCD's who care more about form than substance. Been up against that my whole life and consider it a benefit when they make identification of themselves easy. Thank you for standing up to be counted.

Two thirds of what I write I don't post, but the stuff that I do is aimed at flushing out the OCD's who care more about form than substance. Been up against that my whole life and consider it a benefit when they make identification of themselves easy. Thank you for standing up to be counted.

Am presently fastening my crash helmet and getting under the table ..... :unsure:

"Ah but that kinda defeats the purpose of posting on an internet board."

You don't get to say what my purpose is. What I write is clearly greek to you so spelling wouldn't matter anyway. I enjoy knowing that my writing makes some uncomfortable.