Thaksin Campaigns For Pheu Thai Party

webfact

FUGITIVE PREMIER

Thaksin campaigns for Pheu Thai Party

By Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation

Deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra, the de-facto leader of the opposition Pheu Thai Party, yesterday promised the Thai-Chinese Chamber of Commerce that if the party is elected and forms the new government, he will support the development of business owners and boost the purchasing power of workers.

Thaksin spent hours listening and talking to the chamber members through an Internet video link at a Bangkok hotel.

He said measures such as a low-tax regime, sovereign wealth fund, easier visa requirements for tourists and a hike in the minimum wage to Bt300 a day will be a boon to the economy and society. He vowed to make Thailand a trade and travel hub of the region, not unlike Dubai in the Middle East.

He would gradually lower the income tax over two years from 30 per cent to 20 per cent, arguing that this, along with the higher minimum wage, would lead to stronger domestic purchasing power and higher value-added tax receipts through larger and larger cycles of consumption.

"Today, countries with problems are those with high taxes," said Thaksin, who resides in Dubai after being convicted in Thailand.

While trying to promise whatever business leaders from the chambers asked for, Thaksin mentioned his pet project - developing a city on reclaimed land somewhere on the Gulf of Thailand that would be about half the size of Phuket or 200,000 rai.

The project would be self-supporting because half of the land would be put up for sale at Bt12,500 per square wah while the other half would be occupied by government buildings, public parks, beach roads, a wind farm to generate electricity and more.

"Whatever we do not have or cannot build in Bangkok will be constructed there," he said.

Other ideas floated by Thaksin in an attempt to win support from the members of the Chamber of Commerce were

- Make Don Mueang an airport hub for private jets

- Further penetrate the Chinese and Indian markets

- Set up training centres for Thai workers and factory workers offering courses and loans for the courses to be repaid later in instalments

- Organise and legalise migrant workers from neighbouring countries

-Build 10 more electric train lines and dual-track railroads linking Bangkok and its vicinity

Thaksin, who admitted to being "hyperactive" during the videoconference, did not fail to attack political enemies, however.

Corruption is now rampant and many politicians are used to getting 30-per-cent kickbacks, he said.

Thaksin also claimed that just before the military coup on September 19, 2006, a Singapore agency held a meeting to discuss the competition from the yet-to-be opened Suvarnabhumi Airport.

"But they stopped the meeting after learning that I was ousted, saying the place could no longer be a hub now that Thaksin was gone."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-05

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some interesting ideas though sounding a bit far fetched to me. I love the way Thaksin speaks with the assurance and confidence of an economic guru that seems contemptuous of the world's best (are other countries really struggling because of high taxes - Sweden, Denmark, Norway for example, with the highest standard's of living in the world).

Some interesting ideas though sounding a bit far fetched to me. I love the way Thaksin speaks with the assurance and confidence of an economic guru that seems contemptuous of the world's best (are other countries really struggling because of high taxes - Sweden, Denmark, Norway for example, with the highest standard's of living in the world).

You forgot to mention Ireland with its low company tax etc....maybe Khun Thaksin does not read the same press/media as you and I do

Edited by Phuket Stan

Thaksin is playing directly into Abhists hands

aside from him being a convicted criminal he is a banned from politics for 5 years

by campaigning for Poo Thai, he is opening the party up for a dissolution charge even if by the remote possibility they were to win

keep it up smart guy, the EC commission is no doubt amongst your most avid viewer............

Edited by timekeeper

You forgot to mention Ireland with its low company tax etc....maybe Khun Thaksin does not read the same press/media as you and I do

Yes, both points about the taxes I have to agree with. Ireland really is up the creek.

I have to question his motive for making visa applications easier. Is he trying to soften the stance of all the expats? I believe that Western opinion of Thaksin has to extent influenced some Thai people's opinion of him, especially those (Thais) who have daily exposure to Farangs. He hates us, he knows we see past his nonstop barrage of lies, and he knows we share our opinions with the electorate ....

Erm, Ireland is bankrupt, isn't it?

Yes, both points about the taxes I have to agree with. Ireland really is up the creek.

I have to question his motive for making visa applications easier. Is he trying to soften the stance of all the expats? I believe that Western opinion of Thaksin has to extent influenced some Thai people's opinion of him, especially those (Thais) who have daily exposure to Farangs. He hates us, he knows we see past his nonstop barrage of lies, and he knows we share our opinions with the electorate ....

Which "Farangs" are you speaking for?

It doesn't matter a rat's arse what Farangs think or do, since they have no vote (thank Buddha).

Why are so many afraid of this man's influence?

He is the only voice I have heard that seems to offer a vision.

Who else in Thai politics offers a vision of a modernistic future for this medieval society???

Edited by blazes

Thaksin to me sounds like a smart man. I don't know the details about his "conviction".....could it be that he was railroaded?

Training workers, raise min wage, more rail, crack down on corruption....who can argue against that?

Anyone that seriously goes after corruption won't live long. But that is the #1 thing they need to do to get rid of their third-world status. It is a shame more Thais don't get a chance to see how civilized countries conduct business !

Totally agree with.jap.gif

It doesn't matter a rat's arse what Farangs think or do, since they have no vote (thank Buddha).

Who else in Thai politics offers a vision of a modernistic future for this medieval society???

That's right mate and for all that "free government" your going to pay for it. Thaksin is right about lowering taxes. Lowering taxes always raises revenue to the government through increased economic activity. Regan proved that in America. Sweden is VERY VERY EXPENSIVE. I don't know what fantasy land others live in but the cost of things in Sweden are 20, 30, 40, 50% higher at least, Taxes both sales and personal are outrageous (all to pay for the social welfare system, which has it's major problems depite the propaganda) Swedish people in general are actually quite cold and rude (push past you, knock you down walking down the street) some people mistake being able to speak fluent english for helpfulness. The Norwegians, Finns, Danes and Dutch (especially) are far more friendly. Things are fairly efficent but then it's also not a big country and has been industrialised for centuries so it's hardly surprising but the country does live on it's faded glory. Also don't be taken in by the great myth of a land of beautiful people or blond viking gods and godesses that's just plain wrong. Finland is actually the most expensive with Norway close on its heels. Reykjavik is one of the most expensive cities in the world, with Oslo as a close second.

Thaksin to me sounds like a smart man. I don't know the details about his "conviction".....could it be that he was railroaded?

Training workers, raise min wage, more rail, crack down on corruption....who can argue against that?

Anyone that seriously goes after corruption won't live long. But that is the #1 thing they need to do to get rid of their third-world status. It is a shame more Thais don't get a chance to see how civilized countries conduct business !

The words of a devious ,odious,ego driven indiviual who sees Thailand as his toy to further enhance his wealth. Despite extracting billions from fellow Thais has he ever put one satang of his own money into helping those who need it no and he never will. The man who labels himself Thailands Nelson Mandella

And what is he trying to do? He's a convicted felon on the run, banned from being in politics for 5 years, is he trying to get the party dissolve? Anyway higher minimum wages would mean higher prices on the retail side. Lowering taxes would help the poor but it'll mean less money for the gov't to use, and with the vol. of corruption here it'll be a disaster.

Breaking into chinese and indian market would be great, if you prefer quantity over quality.Lots of people but very few with the money.

Donmuang for private jet hub? how many private jets are there. Some local company with jets typically fly from suvannapoum, having a direct link to the international flights. Plus didn't they tried to make donmuang into a low cost hub? :huh:

Let the idiot talk. He'll get himself into trouble again. I'm sure the EC is itching to use his speech as a ground to lengthen his ban or dissolve the party.

I seem to remember that the whole 3 month (90 days) maximum every 6 months entry stamp confusion started under Thaksin's regime, possibly as a way to promote his 1,000,000 Bt Elite Visa sales. That whole confusing fiasco is still with us today in the form of 15 day stamps on land entries. Somehow I think his "easier" tourist visas means a sale on his Elite visas down to 800,000 Bt or something like that.

Make Don Mueang an airport hub for private jets

That is the funniest comment from Taksin , how many private jets are coming to Thailand ? He tried to attract wealthy people in here with his Elite card , a total flop ... There is nothing in Thailand to attract wealthy people , specially those who owns private jets , they prefer to go to Mediterranean in summer and Caribbean in winter. Its normal to promise the moon during campaign , Taksin isa good at it . :lol:

"But they stopped the meeting after learning that I was ousted, saying the place could no longer be a hub now that Thaksin was gone."

I think this tells us all we need to know about Mr "Super Ego" Thaksin.

No country needs a leader with such megalomaniac tendencies.:bah:

Ireland's economic troubles were exasperated by the wold banking crisis and Ireland's governments pledge to bail out all of it's bankrupt banks. Secondly Ireland has lost a significant measure of sovereignty to the EU and its recovery is now hampered by the EU. Dating from a $89 billion bailout of Eire in November, jointly by the European Union and the International Monetary Fund, Dublin has required the approval of the EU and the IMF for everything from job stimulus program to feeding the black hole of Irish banking losses. Irelands economic problems were NOT caused by low corporate tax rates.

If we're allowed to post links to other articles here's one from Forbes you should read called, "Don't blame Ireland's Mess on Low Corporate Tax Rates." http://blogs.forbes....rate-tax-rates/

In short Ire'and's economic problems were caused by excessive government spending on social welfare programs. Not on low tax rates.

Edited by SanSaiExPat

Ah I see your mind set ... So with people like you that think he has a vision ... we Farangs have to fear quite abusive treatment .

Edited by Chris2606

Thaksin is right about lowering taxes. Lowering taxes always raises revenue to the government through increased economic activity. Regan proved that in America.

Under Reagan the US's deficit grew drastically.

And the late 80's saw the savings and loan crisis.

The long-term effects of Reagan's policies weren't good.

Seems to be a missing variable here. Thaksin has promised:

1) Significantly cutting both corporate and personal income taxes

2) Huge infrastructure projects on a scale that has never been seen before, costing trillions of baht.

But no new sources of revenue have been identified to counter the revenue loss from income taxes.

Where does the money come from? Or is the idea to run Thailand into a huge sovereign debt?

For those of us who have a basic understanding of arithmetic, please balance the equation for us, Mr. Thaksin.

The Thai people must like taking it up the old hershey hiway! Let serve his Sentence in Prison dealing with rats and chained to steel bars. We all know

what those 3 famous promises are (and of course Taksins Made more that 3). Lets see: Your Checks in the Mail. Don't call me, I will call you and I won't ejaculate in your oral cavity.

Seems to be a missing variable here. Thaksin has promised:

1) Significantly cutting both corporate and personal income taxes

2) Huge infrastructure projects on a scale that has never been seen before, costing trillions of baht.

But no new sources of revenue have been identified to counter the revenue loss from income taxes.

Where does the money come from? Or is the idea to run Thailand into a huge sovereign debt?

For those of us who have a basic understanding of arithmetic, please balance the equation for us, Mr. Thaksin.

It's only about three weeks since the present government was announcing a high speed train project linking Shanghai and Singapore, via Bkk.

With your "basic understanding of arithmetic" did you "balance the equation" on that modest proposal?/??

Or is it only Thaksin who is into boondoggles?

Double the minimum wage, all business owners raise prices, instant inflation with value of savings eroded. Magic!

Political promises for morons.

Politic in Thailand is very complex and I do not live in Thailand except visiting here and there. Too bad, and I have to read and re -read from the Economist before I can discuss with you. So, far I know Thailand has many groups of political power and someone can buy the election as such in America...Money talks....

My take and an opinion.