Retirement Bank-Letter No Longer Required - Pattaya

SurfRider

Pattaya City Expats Club announced that they received several recent reports that the Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration office is apparently no longer requiring a bank letter and copies of the bank passbook for renewing a retirement extension when you're using an Embassy letter certifying at least 65,000 Baht or more in monthly income. PCEC has full retirement extension and other visa renewal data on their website.

At least this means that retirees can save one trip to the bank, 200 to 300 baht for the bank-letter, and the necessity to keep a decent minimum balance in the account. They also mentioned that the bank-letter is STILL required if you are using the 800,000 Baht deposit method.

However, as we all know, the various requirements and vagaries associated with Thai Immigration can change with the wind and without any notice.

Good info. However I don't believe there was ever a requirement here to keep any specific minimum balance in your Thai bank account IF you fully qualified based on the income letter. At worst, if it was small, they might ask you how you draw your funds.

Good info. However I don't believe there was ever a requirement here to keep any specific minimum balance in your Thai bank account IF you fully qualified based on the income letter. At worst, if it was small, they might ask you how you draw your funds.

I have gotten by on 30 baht. Raised eyebrows but no questions. Just wanted to see the passbook and I think the regular deposits.

Edited by BuckarooBanzai

"I don't believe there was ever a requirement here to keep any specific minimum balance in your Thai bank account"

In my case, one time I only had 2500 Baht in the account - they commented that is was supposed to be 10,000. In another incident reported on PCEC, they told one retiree that they would let his minimum balance go this time, but in the future he would be required to have at least 10,000.

Hopefully, all this nonsense is in the past now, but - as we all know - these issues are subject to the whim and current mood of the Immigration Agent processing the application.

Hi Seeing the topic is on bank letters . ..Can anyone please clarify that if I have a letter from the Bank stating I have the required funds (800.000 baht) in my bank account ....do I still need a letter from the British consul stating my income.. I get a bit pee'd off having to paid 2800 baht cheers

Hi Seeing the topic is on bank letters . ..Can anyone please clarify that if I have a letter from the Bank stating I have the required funds (800.000 baht) in my bank account ....do I still need a letter from the British consul stating my income.. I get a bit pee'd off having to paid 2800 baht cheers

As long as the 800k deposit has been properly "seasoned then no. You have to have one or the other...either the money in the bank OR the required minimum monthly income.

Edited by Mario2008
incorrect information deleetd to advoid confusion

If you have seasoned the required sum of 800,000 baht for 2 months for the first extension and 3 months for every next extension, there is no need for an income letter. Only when you apply based on income or a combinaiton of income and money in the bank do you need the embassy letter.