Obtaining Long-Term Rental

HarryLL76

I am planning to retire in Pattaya either in August or September. I will need to obtain along-term rental (apartment/condo) in a quiet and safe area. I do not plan to purchase a car so I musthave access to taxis and other public transportation.

Questions: Can anyoneexplain how the apartment rental process works? For example, is there a standard security deposit? Should I use a real estate firm to find theapartment? If so who pays thecommission?

Finally, can anyone recommend a reliable real estate firmthat focus on rentals and not sales?

Thanks guys

i always go stay somewhere for a week in hotel and look around, try classified here, friends ship, carrfore, foodland notice boards, classifieds in local newspapers. sure some people here reading have 1. friend of mine has 5 in Jontiem 4 empty, loads of them. commison comes out the rent you higher rent. personally i would not sign into a long contract or pay a large deposit, you may want to move quickly or find somewhere you prefer. never had appartment but houses, water and electric supply and costs always a good one to ask, some landlords charge double for electric.

renters market at the moment

deposit i again would not pay more than 1 month some want 2-3 months.

really no need to use an agent at all, bottom line is you pay as landlord has to increase rental to cover.

Prepare to spend ONE YEAR in hotels or short-term rental options. That way you see the city in all seasons and find out if your dream home is in a floodway or next to a 3-year construction project or a magnet for burglars and a haven for drug dealers. During that year, visit certain establishments and build up a network of knowledgeable 'resident tourists' or retirees that can give you all the advice you need. Join several of the expat clubs and attend their functions but eventually whittle that down to the one that serves your needs the best. The best deals for rooms and condo's usually come from word of mouth or as mentioned earlier, public notices at a couple of the well-known expat-frequented shopping venues. You don't need to retain what passes for a realtor in Pattaya. If you settle on a room or apartment as a base for your more serious search, make sure your befriend one of the local motorcycle guys... take your time and pick a good 'un as there's some real lazy prats doing that job. Generally the older guys with usable English are a better choice.

Once you get a short-list of areas for your long-term residence, you need to drive/walk these neighbourhoods to see what's on offer. Once you get a fix on a preferred area, look for the little 'To Let' notices, invariably in Thai with a phone number. You will probably need a local to assist with this part, highly recommend that it's the local motorcycle taxi guy that you have befriended and not a lady from the bars.... unless of course you have already fallen deeply in love with her. In that instance, the best we can do is carry out your request to have you shot!

The key is having 2 or 3 or even 4 locations short-listed BEFORE the rainy season which is late summer and autumn. You won't have much time if you are coming in September; hence the 1-year advisory. Anyway, check out which of these is above the flood water and more importantly, has flood-free access to the stores, clinics, pubs and restaurants that you frequent. No point in being high and dry but surrounded by a moat without a drawbridge!

Good Luck!

NL

The key is having 2 or 3 or even 4 locations short-listed BEFORE the rainy season which is late summer and autumn. You won't have much time if you are coming in September; hence the 1-year advisory. Anyway, check out which of these is above the flood water and more importantly, has flood-free access to the stores, clinics, pubs and restaurants that you frequent

Thanks NanLaew. When I said long-term rental, I ment a one year lease. But, you make an excellent point about finding a place where I will have food-free access to a range of places. I do not think that I would like to spend an entire year in a short-term apartment. I may have to move my arraival date up to early August.

Prepare to spend ONE YEAR in hotels or short-term rental options. That way you see the city in all seasons and find out if your dream home is in a floodway or next to a 3-year construction project or a magnet for burglars and a haven for drug dealers. During that year, visit certain establishments and build up a network of knowledgeable 'resident tourists' or retirees that can give you all the advice you need. Join several of the expat clubs and attend their functions but eventually whittle that down to the one that serves your needs the best. The best deals for rooms and condo's usually come from word of mouth or as mentioned earlier, public notices at a couple of the well-known expat-frequented shopping venues. You don't need to retain what passes for a realtor in Pattaya. If you settle on a room or apartment as a base for your more serious search, make sure your befriend one of the local motorcycle guys... take your time and pick a good 'un as there's some real lazy prats doing that job. Generally the older guys with usable English are a better choice.

Once you get a short-list of areas for your long-term residence, you need to drive/walk these neighbourhoods to see what's on offer. Once you get a fix on a preferred area, look for the little 'To Let' notices, invariably in Thai with a phone number. You will probably need a local to assist with this part, highly recommend that it's the local motorcycle taxi guy that you have befriended and not a lady from the bars.... unless of course you have already fallen deeply in love with her. In that instance, the best we can do is carry out your request to have you shot!

The key is having 2 or 3 or even 4 locations short-listed BEFORE the rainy season which is late summer and autumn. You won't have much time if you are coming in September; hence the 1-year advisory. Anyway, check out which of these is above the flood water and more importantly, has flood-free access to the stores, clinics, pubs and restaurants that you frequent. No point in being high and dry but surrounded by a moat without a drawbridge!

Good Luck!

NL

The key is having 2 or 3 or even 4 locations short-listed BEFORE the rainy season which is late summer and autumn. You won't have much time if you are coming in September; hence the 1-year advisory. Anyway, check out which of these is above the flood water and more importantly, has flood-free access to the stores, clinics, pubs and restaurants that you frequent

Thanks NanLaew. When I said long-term rental, I ment a one year lease. But, you make an excellent point about finding a place where I will have food-free access to a range of places. I do not think that I would like to spend an entire year in a short-term apartment. I may have to move my arraival date up to early August.

Good Luck!

NL

As stated, do not bother with any real estate place/agent as they are RIP OFFS! Word of mouth is your best option. You should come here, stay in a hotel one week (relax) then transfer to an inexpensive condo unit from where you can do a serious search on your own (but using advice from expat clubs, friends, etc.). It is too bad, but real estate places/agents in Pattaya/Jomtien are all engaged in a game called "where is the next sucker." And, yes, do not pay more than one month deposit and negotiate that down. There are many empty condo units now (although the real estate agents will tell you the opposite).

I have a Condo i rent out in the new Park Lane Development Jomtien .I always ask for 2 months deposit .Its very necessary as i have yet to get a tennant that did not do some damage to the property ,and or break a contract . :whistling:

All the estate agents have searchable websites that will allow you to find places you like without having to do a lot of legwork.

Then you can turn up at the building and try to meet the owner to see the place, or talk to the front office staff about places that are available in the building.

If you want to be away from floods then up Pratumnak Hill is flood free, unless you know of anyone building an ark and collecting animals at the moment?

www.pattayacondoguide.com

is the website with the most offers I believe

Has a good list of condos but the information is unreliable. For example on the Recently Completed Condos page

Siam Ocean View, was not complete when I drove past if Saturday.

Baan Had U-Thong - completed June 2009, that building was there in 1997, maybe longer.

Executive Residence 5 - Completion 1 June 2009. Still not complete after 4.5 years of marketing to date.

Jomtien Plaza Condotel - completion 1 August 2010, another condo that has stood there for more than 15 years to date.

Edited by PattayaParent

Thanks everyone for all the great information. I for not providing more details in my initial post.

I hope to rent at least a one bedroom (80sq meters and 100sqmeters) furnished apartment. It shouldalso have a balcony and as stated be located close to good transportation. My budget is flexible but between $600 and$800 per month would be ok.

The JomtienBeach area is one of the areas I am interested in. But, I am also open to other areas as long asthey are close to the beach. I will look into the apartment located inPratumnak hill.

Edited by Rimmer
Fonts

The key is to deal with the landlord direct this will get you the best deal.

If you go to most condo buildings lobbies they would have a notice board where

landlords place their adds for rent.

Correct, you should deal with the landlord and or Thai owner. Avoid dealing with farang (foreigner) owners (who often ask for two months deposit and never return it even if you caused no damage) and especially (most) real estate agents. One poster mentioned Alan Bolton. I know nothing about Alan Bolton. If money is not a problem for you and that seems to be the case, you will likely be able to find what you want no matter who you deal with. Renting from a farang and/or using a real estate agent to find what THEY want you to rent will be more expensive. If you use a real estate agent you will not even be told about the good deals.

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

>>Avoid dealing with farang (foreigner) owners (who often ask for two months deposit and never return it even if you caused no damage) <<

''NEVER '' ,i return the deposit minus the cost of the damage done .

You can not paste all Farang or Thai with the same brush . :jap:

>>Avoid dealing with farang (foreigner) owners (who often ask for two months deposit and never return it even if you caused no damage) <<

Agreed. I am making a generalization. I, and many others, prefer to not deal with "farang owners." Why? Because of past (bad) experience. Is that OK?

And, yes, do not pay more than one month deposit and negotiate that down. There are many empty condo units now (although the real estate agents will tell you the opposite).

If you limit your deposit budget to only one month, you could miss out on some very good rentals. A lot of better rentals with nice furniture will not come down from 2 months.

And, yes, do not pay more than one month deposit and negotiate that down. There are many empty condo units now (although the real estate agents will tell you the opposite).

If you limit your deposit budget to only one month, you could miss out on some very good rentals. A lot of better rentals with nice furniture will not come down from 2 months.

Exactly ! I would rather leave my Condo empty than not have the back up security of a 2 month deposit plus a month in advance .

Edited by Thaifan2

Agreed. I am making a generalization. I, and many others, prefer to not deal with "farang owners." Why? Because of past (bad) experience. Is that OK?

So what makes you think that a Thai landlord would not also, as you put it ,"give you a bad experience"

There are good and bad landlords irrelevant of nationality.

A tenant should use common sense and make their own judgement

before handing over a deposit or signing a rental agreement.

I would always judge the amount of deposit with the quality of the fixtures and furnishing inside the dwelling,

that would indicate a realistic and fair landlord.

I've also heard that Thai landlords don't usually accept repair or replacement costs on faulty equipment while there property is rented,

for example if a TV, washing machine, air con or hot water heater breaks they would expect the tenant to pay, whereas a western landlord wouldn't.

Edited by sotsira

So what makes you think that a Thai landlord would not also, as you put it ,"give you a bad experience"

There are good and bad landlords irrelevant of nationality.

A tenant should use common sense and make their own judgement

before handing over a deposit or signing a rental agreement.

I would always judge the amount of deposit with the quality of the fixtures and furnishing inside the dwelling,

that would indicate a realistic and fair landlord.

I've also heard that Thai landlords don't usually accept repair or replacement costs on faulty equipment while there property is rented,

for example if a TV, washing machine, air con or hot water heater breaks they would expect the tenant to pay, whereas a western landlord wouldn't.

I would much prefer a Farang landlord. Either way, there's never any guarantee you're not going to have problems.

people are people thai or farang, my previous landlord was thai, returned deposit and gave me some money for the extras i had added to the house.

present landlord is farang, no deposit no contract, i treat all properties as if i owned them, but a lot of ass oles out there tenant and landlord wise. as a teneant i would not pay more than 1 month up front as a deposit, i guess as a landlord i would want a couple of months.

I don't know if anyone has covered this point, but the tenants have really got it easy here compared to back at home.

The contract is not worth the paper it's written on. A tenant can disappear at any time and only lose his deposit. How will the landlord recover his loses? A tenant could trash his rental home, sell everything in it and just disappear.

Back at home if you want to break a contract early you're liable for the full rent over the entire term of the contract unless you have a special clause written into the contract.

Here they are basically hand-shake agreements.

I don't know if anyone has covered this point, but the tenants have really got it easy here compared to back at home.

The contract is not worth the paper it's written on. A tenant can disappear at any time and only lose his deposit. How will the landlord recover his loses? A tenant could trash his rental home, sell everything in it and just disappear.

Back at home if you want to break a contract early you're liable for the full rent over the entire term of the contract unless you have a special clause written into the contract.

To the OP, HarryLL76,

As you can see by many posts here, there is a large group of farang (foreign) condo/home owners (who are living in dream world) that will do everything in their power to try to convince you the "ball is in their court." It is not! There are vacant condos and houses all over and some owners are willing to negotiate and desperate to do so. Just come here and get some good advice from people who are not involved in the real estate business. Good luck!

I have lived in Pattaya-Naklua beach area for almost seven years. (I work in Thailand, not retired or a tourist). Since my work provides a driver, I choose to use the local tranportation system so I have stayed in condos that are within a 5 mintue walking distance of Naklua Rd. or (right now) on Beach Road. I do not miss having a car to get around in Pattaya since the parking can be a pain in the arse and it is so easy to jump on a baht bus. Also, the exercise is good for me (I am single, don't have a family in Thailand with me). Staying in a Wongamat condo such as Skybeach, Ping Pha, Silverbeach , or others enables one to have a beautiful view of the sea and it is more quiet than living in Central Pattaya. Presently, I live in North Pattaya on Beach Road and the trade off there is that it is easier to get to the fitness center and shopping (but the beach isn't as nice).

Next, I have always found my condos to rent from an ad in the Pattaya Mail newspaper or going directly to the apartment building to ask (before tourist season kicks in). Many condos have apartments to rent but do not advertise --also, it helps to dress as a professional and not in your tank top and beach swimwear! Next, one has to be careful not to stay in an apartment complex that is so inexpensive that you get a lot of "Cheap Charlies" on vacation and party until the wee hours of the morning. It is best to check the apartment of choice not only during the day but also at night...things change in the evening. How noisy are the hallways? What kind of neighbors do you have? Check to see if the water pressure works, the water heater heats the water, flush the toilet... See if you can connect to internet...

Definately you do not want to put a year's payment in advance. What would be happen if there is construction going on...or the place is infested with rats or bugs???? ...or there is "noise pollution" at night? I have paid up to two months rent when I chosen a place to stay. However, I learned my lesson from the last place I stayed at. The landlord kept my deposit making up an excuse that they had to replace the curtains and do some changes. I never used the curtains and there was normal wear on the place after living there for 3 years, but they had my money. Next time, I will not pay the last two months rent. There are some landlords out there that do not appreciate renters who take care of the place, leave it clean when they leave and never complain...these good renters will still lose some or all of their deposit.

Final thought is to rent a place for one month with an understanding you will rent it for a year if you like the place.

To the OP, HarryLL76,

As you can see by many posts here, there is a large group of farang (foreign) condo/home owners (who are living in dream world) that will do everything in their power to try to convince you the "ball is in their court." It is not! There are vacant condos and houses all over and some owners are willing to negotiate and desperate to do so. Just come here and get some good advice from people who are not involved in the real estate business. Good luck!

To Mr. Awolaicknjoihsdo[gfija,

Didn't you already cover this on another thread about real estate being overpriced.

You know I rent, so please refrain from trying to start an argument in this thread that you already lost over there.

I have lived in Pattaya-Naklua beach area for almost seven years. (I work in Thailand, not retired or a tourist). Since my work provides a driver, I choose to use the local tranportation system so I have stayed in condos that are within a 5 mintue walking distance of Naklua Rd. or (right now) on Beach Road. I do not miss having a car to get around in Pattaya since the parking can be a pain in the arse and it is so easy to jump on a baht bus. Also, the exercise is good for me (I am single, don't have a family in Thailand with me). Staying in a Wongamat condo such as Skybeach, Ping Pha, Silverbeach , or others enables one to have a beautiful view of the sea and it is more quiet than living in Central Pattaya. Presently, I live in North Pattaya on Beach Road and the trade off there is that it is easier to get to the fitness center and shopping (but the beach isn't as nice).

Next, I have always found my condos to rent from an ad in the Pattaya Mail newspaper or going directly to the apartment building to ask (before tourist season kicks in). Many condos have apartments to rent but do not advertise --also, it helps to dress as a professional and not in your tank top and beach swimwear! Next, one has to be careful not to stay in an apartment complex that is so inexpensive that you get a lot of "Cheap Charlies" on vacation and party until the wee hours of the morning. It is best to check the apartment of choice not only during the day but also at night...things change in the evening. How noisy are the hallways? What kind of neighbors do you have? Check to see if the water pressure works, the water heater heats the water, flush the toilet... See if you can connect to internet...

Definately you do not want to put a year's payment in advance. What would be happen if there is construction going on...or the place is infested with rats or bugs???? ...or there is "noise pollution" at night? I have paid up to two months rent when I chosen a place to stay. However, I learned my lesson from the last place I stayed at. The landlord kept my deposit making up an excuse that they had to replace the curtains and do some changes. I never used the curtains and there was normal wear on the place after living there for 3 years, but they had my money. Next time, I will not pay the last two months rent. There are some landlords out there that do not appreciate renters who take care of the place, leave it clean when they leave and never complain...these good renters will still lose some or all of their deposit.

Final thought is to rent a place for one month with an understanding you will rent it for a year if you like the place.

That is a positive post with excellent information for the OP. I have had similar experiences with landlords (but only farangs). I would add that the "crazy Thai immigration rules" are also one reason not to sign a long term lease and pay two months rent deposit. I totally agree with your statement that "some landlords out there...do not appreciate renters who take care of a place." Actually, I think they do not appreciate any renters and only want to rip them off to partially make up for their financial losses due to market miscalculation and refusal to see market reality. It is a good idea to try a place out for at least a month to see if you can stand living there. Some places seem OK at first, and the the village idiots move next door and all you hear all night and day is karaoke music.

It is a good idea to try a place out for at least a month to see if you can stand living there. Some places seem OK at first, and the the village idiots move next door and all you hear all night and day is karaoke music.

It's not a good idea at all, especially if you need to get a good internet connection set up. It also doesn't make any sense if you're renting a sparsely furnished place where you need to buy furnishings and other stuff. Apart from that, do you really believe that most landlords would take you at your word that you'll stay longtime after your month's trial?

The best suggestion is try to get a good deal on 6 months as a trial. Most landlords would probably give you 6 months at the 12 month price.

It is a good idea to try a place out for at least a month to see if you can stand living there. Some places seem OK at first, and the the village idiots move next door and all you hear all night and day is karaoke music.

It's not a good idea at all, especially if you need to get a good internet connection set up. It also doesn't make any sense if you're renting a sparsely furnished place where you need to buy furnishings and other stuff. Apart from that, do you really believe that most landlords would take you at your word that you'll stay longtime after your month's trial?

The best suggestion is try to get a good deal on 6 months as a trial. Most landlords would probably give you 6 months at the 12 month price.

I suggested to stay a month but just realized that most will not allow you to stay for one month since the "decent" apartments want long term renters. However, within the apartment building there may be someone willing to rent it out for a month...or just ask the landlord if you can stay one night to check it out... or visit it a couple times at night, including midnight.

I suggested to stay a month but just realized that most will not allow you to stay for one month since the "decent" apartments want long term renters. However, within the apartment building there may be someone willing to rent it out for a month...or just ask the landlord if you can stay one night to check it out... or visit it a couple times at night, including midnight.

It doesn't matter where you rent you can never have any guarantee that the place will remain quiet.

For example, after you arrive:

1. Noisy neighbors could move in.

2. Neighbors could start renovations.

3. Quiet neighbors may sell and the new owner may start renovating.

4. New building construction may begin nearby.

I've already been a victim of 1, 2 and 3. Where I'm staying now I may soon become a victim of #4.

The best insurance is to take out a lease of no longer than 6 months and try for a month to month deal after that.

Thanks guys for all the great information. I have save many of the responses for use when I arrive in Pattya.

Harry

It doesn't matter where you rent you can never have any guarantee that the place will remain quiet.

For example, after you arrive:

1. Noisy neighbors could move in.

2. Neighbors could start renovations.

3. Quiet neighbors may sell and the new owner may start renovating.

4. New building construction may begin nearby.

I've already been a victim of 1, 2 and 3. Where I'm staying now I may soon become a victim of #4.

The best insurance is to take out a lease of no longer than 6 months and try for a month to month deal after that.