The Difference Between Expats And Farangs In Phuket

petercallen

I think of expats as people who are self funded in there retirement here

People who invest in business here have a work permit and employ Thai staff

Fly out fly in workers who spend all there leisure time here

and some other people.

The people i call Farangs are the ones who work illegally here usually in occupations

reserved for Thais and prey on newbies and are making there living from everything

from real estate to visas in hidden commissions and always rubbishing Thai people

so you will do business through them.

Whats your opinion, this forum has got boring recently

An expatriate (in abbreviated form, expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country and culture other than that of the person's upbringing or legal residence.

Farang is the generic Thai word for a foreigner of European ancestry.

Simple really when you can Google.

Expats are people living away from their home country.

Farangs are what western expats are called by Thais.

Peter...i think you should think about what you are implying here and reword your thread.

All of us westerners are farang by definition of the word and you and i and all of us are "farang expats"

Your self interpretation [wrongly]of the word farang tells that i/we are all in your eyes as you describe below. You may well fit your own definition but i can tell you for certain that 99.9% of expat farangs would be deeply offended by your words.:realangry:

Petercallen said:

The people i call Farangs are the ones who work illegally here usually in occupations

reserved for Thais and prey on newbies and are making there living from everything

from real estate to visas in hidden commissions and always rubbishing Thai people

Edited by brieno1955

Judging by the OP's conception of the term, perhaps he has only heard the word "farang" spat out by others. That would certainly color your opinion of the word's meaning. :whistling:

Peter...i think you should think about what you are implying here and reword your thread.

All of us westerners are farang by definition of the word and you and i and all of us are "farang expats"

Your self interpretation [wrongly]of the word farang tells that i/we are all in your eyes as you describe below. You may well fit your own definition but i can tell you for certain that 99.9% of expat farangs would be deeply offended by your words.:realangry:

Petercallen said:

Good post, maybe Mr. Callen's intention though is to rile a few to make the Forum a litle more testy.

Petercallen said:

You have your opinion and i have mine

I know people who live here and meet all the visa requirements ,

and i know others living here with expired visas, some for a long time

working illegally and taking jobs reserved for Thai people

I doubt any expat farangs living or working here legally would be offended by my words,

Others might be :)

I doubt any expat farangs living or working here legally would be offended by my words,...

Lol, make up yopur mind Peter. Now you say a farang can work here legally, earlier you said "The people i call Farangs are the ones who work illegally here".

I doubt any expat farangs living or working here legally would be offended by my words,...

Lol, make up yopur mind Peter. Now you say a farang can work here legally, earlier you said "The people i call Farangs are the ones who work illegally here".

I think you should read my first post again, i did mention people with work permits working here legally :D

An expatriate (in abbreviated form, expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country and culture other than that of the person's upbringing or legal residence.

Farang is the generic Thai word for a foreigner of European ancestry.

These are the actual definitions of these two words, therefore the OP, by definition, is an expat farang. Which makes his 'not so humble' opinion both arrogant and irrelevant.

:jerk:

I think you should read my first post again, i did mention people with work permits working here legally :D

Yes, but those you call expats, not farangs.

Why the need for your own definition BTW, and not follow the general ones, as indicated by Chainsaw?

Yes, but those you call expats, not farangs.

Why the need for your own definition BTW, and not follow the general ones, as indicated by Chainsaw?

:whistling: Like i said..hes confused,and now wants to make it appear as if he was only stirring in the first place :bah:

I agree that the forum has become boring recently.

Generally I agree with your summation, except the long-term expats are just as negative than those trying to work here.

They have different reasons - the long-term ex-pat has realised what life is really about here. Some realise that the positives outweigh the negatives (whilst trusting a v small number of people), others just get fed-up and either go home or become negative about everything.

Those trying to work here realise that its not the same as their home-country! And get VERY bad-tempered about it :lol:.

Generally I agree with your summation, except the long-term expats are just as negative than those trying to work here.

They have different reasons - the long-term ex-pat has realised what life is really about here. Some realise that the positives outweigh the negatives (whilst trusting a v small number of people), others just get fed-up and either go home or become negative about everything.

Those trying to work here realise that its not the same as their home-country! And get VERY bad-tempered about it :lol:.

Now you've made me curious. How long do you call 'long term'?

Confusion reigns...What part of the summation do you agree with? :unsure:

The part that says all farang [me you and all] are...

.... the ones who work illegally here usually in occupations

Now you've made me curious. How long do you call 'long term'?

Generally, I think it takes around 3 years before reality starts to seep in, but the most negative are those that have been here for 10 years or so - again generally.

Confusion reigns...What part of the summation do you agree with? :unsure:

The part that says all farang [me you and all] are...

.... the ones who work illegally here usually in occupations

I agree with, from the OP

I think of expats as people who are self funded in there retirement here

People who invest in business here have a work permit and employ Thai staff

Fly out fly in workers who spend all there leisure time here

and some other people.

from real estate to visas in hidden commissions. BIT I DON'T AGREE WITH

Whats your opinion, this forum has got boring recently

"Farang" is what Thai's call ALL westerners, not just western expats, tourist as well.

Yes, you are correct. Applies to 'western' tourists as well.

Here's a question for you guys on TV who have a Thai missus. Maybe you can ask her. What do Thai's call people, tourists and/or expats, who are from another Asian country? Eg. Japan, China etc etc.

Some of us know the answer to that without having to ask our wives.

Answers = $1

Correct answers = $10.00

& I don't knows are still free.

What about us who do not work, complain a little and are not old retired farts? are we keenok? We sure don't fit anywhere in those 2 categories you've made.

IMO people are people,

Trailer park trash are trailer park trash anywhere,

SEx pats are sexpats at home too.. they use the net or the classified ads back home,

Retiree are retiree, they play bingo and bridge anywhere,

Workers are workers,

Businessmen are businessmen,

etc.

the only people who are different here are teachers where back home most of them where on social benefits, homeless or students with very little potential. Good for most of them that now they are feeding a family here and contributing to the world. I just can't believe the number of 7/10+ teachers that are with the ugliest thai working girls living in 20sqm rooms and riding honda wave's from the 70's. These guys are doing #1 charity work i am very glad nowadays that they are around. Everyone deserves someone and these girls are scoring 1000x higher than they ever could in this country especially with their employment. FYI i am talking on east coast.. ptown-koh kaew and chalong.

Teachers are really a different breed. :D love them.

What about us who do not work, complain a little and are not old retired farts? are we keenok? We sure don't fit anywhere in those 2 categories you've made.

IMO people are people,

Trailer park trash are trailer park trash anywhere,

SEx pats are sexpats at home too.. they use the net or the classified ads back home,

Retiree are retiree, they play bingo and bridge anywhere,

Workers are workers,

Businessmen are businessmen,

etc.

the only people who are different here are teachers where back home most of them where on social benefits, homeless or students with very little potential. Good for most of them that now they are feeding a family here and contributing to the world. I just can't believe the number of 7/10+ teachers that are with the ugliest thai working girls living in 20sqm rooms and riding honda wave's from the 70's. These guys are doing #1 charity work i am very glad nowadays that they are around. Everyone deserves someone and these girls are scoring 1000x higher than they ever could in this country especially with their employment. FYI i am talking on east coast.. ptown-koh kaew and chalong.

Teachers are really a different breed. :D love them.

What rubbish!

Sex pats are here precisely because they were unable to attract women back at home! They can't believe how lucky they are that the local women find them incredibly attractive, whereas back home.... they didn't....

As for the teachers, you may be right about some of them, but a few were teachers back home - unfortunately the local women didn't find them attractive.

What rubbish!

Sex pats are here precisely because they were unable to attract women back at home!

Cobblers!

In a well known blog on naughty nightlife it claims that the sexpats in Patong are the youngest, fittest sexpats in Thailand.

If you go to Patong at night you will see that it's true. Mainly young Aussies.

Your statement should read "Sex pats are here precisely because they refuse to take the bull-shit and mind-games of the women back at home!"