The Difference Between Expats And Farangs In Phuket

petercallen

I agree that the forum has become boring recently.

Generally I agree with your summation, except the long-term expats are just as negative than those trying to work here.

They have different reasons - the long-term ex-pat has realised what life is really about here. Some realise that the positives outweigh the negatives (whilst trusting a v small number of people), others just get fed-up and either go home or become negative about everything.

Those trying to work here realise that its not the same as their home-country! And get VERY bad-tempered about it :lol:.

Now you've made me curious. How long do you call 'long term'?

Generally, I think it takes around 3 years before reality starts to seep in, but the most negative are those that have been here for 10 years or so - again generally.

I work here, am not bad tempered, realise the positive outweigh the negatives, generally trust people (am very carefull with expats though) and have been here a lot longer than 3 years. Maybe because I have been here longer than your 10 years?

So I'm really glad to see you added 'generally speaking' to your opinion. I don't agree at all with that opinion though.

Edited by stevenl

As for the OP, it seems PC has no idea what "farang" means.

Putting your "own definition" on the word is pretty silly.

Just for the record, I'm an expat that also happens to be a farang.

For the person who asked what Thais call expats that are not of European extraction.

Kon jeen - Chinese.

Kon kaak - Indian (pejorative).

Kon India - Indian (polite)

Kon Malay - Malaysian.

I'm sure you get the general trend.

Edited by KarenBravo

I work here, am not bad tempered, realise the positive outweigh the negatives, generally trust people (am very carefull with expats though) and have been here a lot longer than 3 years. Maybe because I have been here longer than your 10 years?

So I'm really glad to see you added 'generally speaking' to your opinion. I don't agree at all with that opinion though.

I'm v happy for you, but you are unusual :whistling:. I've no doubt that you have a wife around the same age and only meet 'farang' in a similar situation.

I'm v happy for you, but you are unusual :whistling:. I've no doubt that you have a wife around the same age and only meet 'farang' in a similar situation.

Perhaps we should start a 'Me and my wife are the same age' club. :D I might have a lot more friends in Phuket if we did.

That last post was by far the most interesting in this pointless thread. If you had any real issues about the different kind of Farang here, 'PC' and had some genuine points about people working illegally, then I think you would have worded it a little less clumsily, instead of completely missusing words.

I'm not sure turning a quiet forum in to one full of nonsence is a step in the right direction.

Edited by BangTaoBoy

As for the OP, it seems PC has no idea what "farang" means.

Putting your "own definition" on the word is pretty silly.

Just for the record, I'm an expat that also happens to be a farang.

For the person who asked what Thais call expats that are not of European extraction.

Kon jeen - Chinese.

Kon Malay - Malaysian.

I'm sure you get the general trend.

.........and correct me if I am wrong (as I know you all will), but the term Farang comes from Farangset which is the term for Kon French who were the first whiteys to try and make a go of it around here (until the white flag factory got blown up).

.........and correct me if I am wrong (as I know you all will), but the term Farang comes from Farangset which is the term for Kon French who were the first whiteys to try and make a go of it around here (until the white flag factory got blown up).

I always thought that was correct mtself, but your post got me to thinking and searching on Wiki pedia gives this'

It is generally believed that the word farang originated with the Indo-Persian word farangi, meaning foreigner. This in turn comes from the word Frank via the Arabic word firinjīyah, which was used refer to the Franks, a West Germanic tribe that became the biggest political power in Western Europe during the early Middle Ages and from which France derives its name. Due to the fact that the Frankish Empire ruled Western Europe for centuries, the word "Frank" became deeply associated, by the Eastern Europeans and Middle Easterners, with Latins who professed the Roman Catholic faith. By another account the word comes through Arabic ("afranj"), and there are quite a few articles about this. One of the most detailed treatments of the subject is by Rashid al-din Fazl Allâh.[16

Like so many things in this country, the interpretation is varied and interesting...but the main thing is that it in no way. implies as to what pcallen posted

; PS..since found this also

Farang (Thai: ฝรั่ง [faràŋ]) also spelled falang, is the generic Thai word for a Westerner. A general term for foreigners is "khon tang prathet (Thai: คนต่างประเทศ)" ('people from other countries'). There is no expressly negative or positive implication in the word itself. However when it is used along with other words, it can bring a negative meaning depending on the context. For instance, "farang khi nok (Thai: ฝรั่งขี้นก literally means bird droppings foreigner)" could mean a Westerner who is not trustworthy or reliable. The expression farang ta nam khao (11px-Loudspeaker.svg.png listen (help·info); Thai: ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว literally means "farang with a rice-milk-colored iris"). It is common in Thai to just say "farang" to point out the presence of one, without making a whole sentence. People of African descent from the Western hemisphere have been occasionally referred to as farang dam Thai: ฝรั่งดำ (black farang).[1] Although, Thai people who have not been in Westerner countries nor exposed to their cultures may still refer to all African descents as Negro (Thai: นิโกร) without negative meanings.

Edited by brieno1955

Perhaps we should start a 'Me and my wife are the same age' club. :D I might have a lot more friends in Phuket if we did.

That last post was by far the most interesting in this pointless thread. If you had any real issues about the different kind of Farang here, 'PC' and had some genuine points about people working illegally, then I think you would have worded it a little less clumsily, instead of completely missusing words.

I'm not sure turning a quiet forum in to one full of nonsence is a step in the right direction.

You could start a bigger club. The "My girl is different" club. Plenty of potential members in that club. :) :) :) :)

expat - someone living in a different country to their passport.

farang - white person

If you skin is not white there is a different racial insult for you.

Kon jeen - Chinese. (If I may correct this .... Gin as in the drink)

Kon Malay - Malaysian.

To add to your list

Neego - those of African descent

Chow Cow - tribal person

Sex pats are here precisely because they were unable to attract women back at home! They can't believe how lucky they are that the local women find them incredibly attractive, whereas back home.... they didn't....

I've always been able to attract women back home, and although 52 when I left, disappointed three girls aged 22, 27 and 60.

Attracting them was never a problem, keeping their hands off my assets was, here it's slightly easier.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Here's a question for you guys on TV who have a Thai missus. Maybe you can ask her. What do Thai's call people, tourists and/or expats, who are from another Asian country? Eg. Japan, China etc etc.

I know some Thai ladies who live here in England and when they are talking in Thai to each other we are still Farangs and yet i remember reading years ago that the Thai word for French people was Farangs and then it just went on to mean foreigner.

Could this be true i read this in a old Translation Book

You could start a bigger club. The "My girl is different" club. Plenty of potential members in that club. :) :) :) :)

Hey hey, I started that club years ago..........:) ( See my sig).

If you skin is not white there is a different racial insult for you.

:wacko::boring::realangry::coffee1::passifier:

Boo Hoo, people call me Farang, it's so racist.

It's not that time of the month yet is it, I thought it was at least another couple of weeks before the next 'Is the word Farang racist' thread was due.

Amusing thread. Farangs drawing minor distinctions between themselves to show their superiority below the bottom rung.

Do you include yourself in that? Or do you see yourself, as the only one out of us that's above the bottom rung?

I think of expats as people who are self funded in there retirement here

Fly out fly in workers who spend all there leisure time here

and are making there living

OP. what's with the "there" thing? No offence intended. :)

The people i call Farangs are the ones who work illegally here usually in occupations

reserved for Thais

Maybe you should re-think what you are writing.

Whats your opinion, this forum has got boring recently

it does not get much more interesting by posting provocative statements like you do right now. <_<

I think of expats as people who are self funded in there retirement here

Fly out fly in workers who spend all there leisure time here

and are making there living

OP. what's with the "there" thing? No offence intended. :)

Probably there is a misunderstanding phonetically... Looking up the difference between their and there might help :whistling:

Amusing thread. Farangs drawing minor distinctions between themselves to show their superiority below the bottom rung.

Do you include yourself in that? Or do you see yourself, as the only one out of us that's above the bottom rung?

Why would I include myself in your 'us'?

Why would I include myself in your 'us'?

By 'us' I meant contributers to this forum. So how are you not one of 'us'?

So are you? Higher up the ladder than everyone else? You obviously think you are given your comment!

The name farang has been discussed on this forum before and the different versions

of it, no need to check Google

I started this post because there was not a lot of interesting topics on the forum and

needed stirring up a bit so i wrote my opening post to do so

It certainly did stir things up, especially when i mentioned people working illegally

in Thailand, some one especially fell for it hook, line and sinker :)

I've always been able to attract women back home, and although 52 when I left, disappointed three girls aged 22, 27 and 60.

Attracting them was never a problem, keeping their hands off my assets was, here it's slightly easier.

Yet room for an even bigger club :)

I started this post because there was not a lot of interesting topics on the forum and

needed stirring up a bit so i wrote my opening post to do so

It certainly did stir things up, especially when i mentioned people working illegally

in Thailand, some one especially fell for it hook, line and sinker :)

What is the difference between trolling and kicking in a post with the sole purpose of stirring things up?

Must admit though the place has been boring lately, controversial opening posts give raise to the most interesting discussions.

just my observation - I was surprised at how many expats on Phuket have no desire to see more of Thailand; our former neighbour (6 years) has had one 1-week trip to Chiang Mai, and several transits through Bangkok on way to/from UK, otherwise not been off the island. Another had been as far as Khao Lak about 40min off the island - can fly direct back to Oz from Phuket.

Not saying they 'must' or 'should', just seemed odd to me, esp with the availability of cheap flights with AA within the country.

They are content in their little corner of Thailand, shopping at Tesco and watching the pound/dollar v baht rates each day.