Sports Bikes Vs. Cruisers

PaulD

Cruisers better for cruising? I doubt that.

I was out with a bunch of harley riders recently, two sportsters (the only real bike-bikes that harley makes) and a few huge monsters (road king, etc). I cruised along with them on my Versys, and what you said about cruising a cruiser was true for the Versys too: Very comfortable riding position, wind protection (rare on cruisers, actually, none of the guys I was with had it). Moving at harley speed, I saw all of the nature around me, probably more than the harley riders actually thanks to being higher up. Suspension is way better than the harleys too so rough patches and so on were easier for me. Brakes are way better, so I was safer. Seat's more comfortable. Most importantly, I quite enjoyed cruising along at the low speeds too - around 100 kph.

But once the twisties came, I had the choice - move slowly with the hogs, and enjoy the views, or blast it, and usually I chose the latter and was up up and away, waiting for the hogs after the mountains ;)

So you could say that whatever perspective you choose, the Versys is a way better bike than any harley.

Yet - there is something to the hogs. The sound, and the mass, the "feeling" - it's hard to put in words, but I can see the appeal. I might even get one one day. Riding a bike like that is a bit of a statement - you don't care about being the fastest, or getting the most hp for your buck, or having the safest ride. It's a bit of an opt out; it always reminds me of reading "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance"; if it breaks, you can probably fix it with a large hammer - or at least it looks like that; it has soul.

I guess I love all bikes, including cruisers :D

I also dislike idiot show-off harley riders as much as I dislike idiot show-off sportsbike riders. But that's not the bikes' fault.

Well I don't quite agree with you. My recently sold Road King was very comfortable, you can sit on it for 8 hours a day without any problems, my wife & I often went to SiSaket from Pattaya on it, cruising at 120-140 all the way. Adjustable rear dampers with small air pump. Rebuild to stage two, so over 190 km/h top speed and fast from the red light too. The main reason I sold it was because of my son, so no more 2 up touring. If I buy a HD again I will also have a 1200 Sporster, good for 1 man riding but the sound/fell/soul is still there.

For me its cruisers, I like the attitude, the sitting position and at 49 years old I don't want to go too fast anymore. Nobody can convince me that if you ride a Susiki 1000 GSQWRS turbo that you only cruise 130 km/h from say BKK to ChangMai. Off-course those super-duper bikes are cool, I mean you can out accelerate a Lamborghini and that is always fun BUT dangerous too, suddenly you are rolling down the road at almost 300 km/h, in Thailand NO THANKS.

Funny that the OP makes such a big deal about 'sports bikes' having their exhaust changed when I challenge you to find more than a handful of cruisers (especially the quintessential cruiser-Harley) with stock exhausts...

My Phantom still has the original pipe.

I like all types of bikes and wish I could own all of them.

I've never had a chopper but can see why people outside of the city would want them, I like the Honda Rune and Victory Vision bikes.

My back doesn't like the supersport bike posture so I'm on a DTracker now.

I think naked bikes or motards are the best compromises of biking today.

They're comfortable upright posture is nice but can still be fast and nimble.

I would love to have a Husky SM510 with a spare set of dirt rims.

Nothing would stop that bike from going anywhere fast.

Best you can get here is the KTM 690SM but that thing is ugly and expensive.

KTM has a new Duke 125 that would be perfect for BKK, let's hope they bring it here.

The Honda Phantom is an extremely comfortable bike, road to Chiang Saen from Chiang Rai one time and had me considering the purchase of one.

Then i woke up and realized how slow it was.

I solved it by having one of each! Er650f and a Vulcan Custom SE... Depends what mood I'm in. But I have to confess, I actually tend to jump on the Vulcan more often. I do plenty of lane splitting and find it only marginally less flexible than the Ninja.

black-yamaha-fjr-13005.jpg

Perfect cruiser. Yamaha FJR 1300. For sale at Riders Club Bangkok. Agree for lane splitting this would be less than ideal.

I was kind of amused when the FJR's came out. I honestly believe that Yamaha purposely reduced their power and took away one gear, so that they would not be too competitive with their range of sports bikes.

Beautiful bike..though the electric windscreen had issues B)

I have one of them. Doesn't need a 6th gear, doesn't really need a 5th either unless you sit at 100mph/160kph + on the highways. Electric windscreen motors are 500USD a pop, if mine fails it ain't getting replaced. There was an ignition barrel recall and the earth spiders are a weak point. Apart from that very reliable, cheap to run (shaft drive) but a liability in a city. I can attest to the fact that the panniers are tough as old boots, ripped off half a bumper filtering in Bangkok and only a few scratches. I can't drive so a car isn't an option. I need long distance comfort, weather protection, reliability and luggage carrying capability. The FJR does all this flawlessly. It may lack character/soul or any other terms which mean p!ssing out oil and vibrating like a jack-hammer but as a tool to go from A to B in speed and comfort It is hard to beat.

For me it would be very hard to find a do-everything bike.

I have it narrowed down to a city bike and a highway bike.

One light and narrow - and my Harley.

Have been looking at the 250cc Motard-style for a while now, may trade in the Wave for one.

As far as sport bikes, I just can't get used to the riding position for long. On the track - different story. Will ride the Nurburgring one day I hope - and not on my Harley.

black-yamaha-fjr-13005.jpg

Perfect cruiser. Yamaha FJR 1300. For sale at Riders Club Bangkok. Agree for lane splitting this would be less than ideal.

I was kind of amused when the FJR's came out. I honestly believe that Yamaha purposely reduced their power and took away one gear, so that they would not be too competitive with their range of sports bikes.

Beautiful bike..though the electric windscreen had issues B)

I have one of them. Doesn't need a 6th gear, doesn't really need a 5th either unless you sit at 100mph/160kph + on the highways. Electric windscreen motors are 500USD a pop, if mine fails it ain't getting replaced. There was an ignition barrel recall and the earth spiders are a weak point. Apart from that very reliable, cheap to run (shaft drive) but a liability in a city. I can attest to the fact that the panniers are tough as old boots, ripped off half a bumper filtering in Bangkok and only a few scratches. I can't drive so a car isn't an option. I need long distance comfort, weather protection, reliability and luggage carrying capability. The FJR does all this flawlessly. It may lack character/soul or any other terms which mean p!ssing out oil and vibrating like a jack-hammer but as a tool to go from A to B in speed and comfort It is hard to beat.

In the Middle East I saw them as a good option for a fast cruiser and I was definitely thinking over 160kph. Almost bought one..TWICE. Probably should have. Shaft drives are definitely solid on the Yamaha's and don't look like they are made by a tractor company. Kawasaki seem to have the agricultural style of build on shaft drives wrapt up. Thanks for the insight from an owners perspective.

Funny that the OP makes such a big deal about 'sports bikes' having their exhaust changed when I challenge you to find more than a handful of cruisers (especially the quintessential cruiser-Harley) with stock exhausts...

I was one of your handfull. My Yamaha Dragstar XVS1100A was completely bone stock engine and exhaust wise. Lots of extra chrome bling, running lights, rear carrier, engine bling and rechromed spokes on the wheels. It didn't need noise in this case, as there was enough of a throb from the engine & exhaust. The front brakes were massive. Very stable under hard braking. You get used to hard braking in the middle east, believe me.

That's a lovely bike. Very rare I look at a cruiser for more than 2 seconds but I found myself staring at this one. If I lived out in the country I'd buy something like that for sure. Trouble is in Bangkok is that it's too big and heavy for Bangkok traffic. And then when I want to get away to the beach for the weekend it's not gonna be as fast (or as fun) to get there as a sports bike.

I can definitely see me owning one in the next few years though. I'll go for a Jap model like your Yam (or maybe a Kawi Vulcan) or go British and get a Triumph. Can't ever see myself on a Harley though.

Thanks JonnyF, it was also a shaft drive, so virtually maintenance free overall. It ran faultlessly (on carbs), no injection for this model. The only real pain on this model is that to get to the oil filter, you hand to take of the RH running board, controls and if I remember correctly the front cylinder exhaust. I just paid the dealer to do it. :)

I have one here in LOS. Bought it four years ago and never had a problem. As you say very reliable bike. Have changed the exhaust though :lol:

Well, here is my Cruiser /Chopper. Comfort well we will see how it is when I get the new C&C seat on it but the stock Honda seat is good for about an hour and by the end of the day its brutal.

I guess I follow the other cruisers with the mod thing. The first thing I did was change the mufflers and intake so the engine could breath. Then had to add the Fuel Controller to make up for the added air. It did give it much more response on the throttle.

As for it being like a sail boat being a black hole. Yes, it is. To date I have put over 100k in mods. I think I have become addicted to it. In fact if anyone knows of a support group for that kind of thing let me know.

I do like choppers and it is a child hood thing. Do I need to go fast or want to go fast, well not really I don't care how long it takes me to get there? But thats me. I have saddle bags and a luggage rack to go on long trips that is easy to pull off.

Would I have this bike in BKK yes I would but it would not be my every day commute bike? Would I ever own a sports bike yes I would?

post-87487-0-29511500-1305271877_thumb.j

post-87487-0-20817300-1305272090_thumb.j

Well, here is my Cruiser /Chopper. Comfort well we will see how it is when I get the new C&C seat on it but the stock Honda seat is good for about an hour and by the end of the day its brutal.

I guess I follow the other cruisers with the mod thing. The first thing I did was change the mufflers and intake so the engine could breath. Then had to add the Fuel Controller to make up for the added air. It did give it much more response on the throttle.

As for it being like a sail boat being a black hole. Yes, it is. To date I have put over 100k in mods. I think I have become addicted to it. In fact if anyone knows of a support group for that kind of thing let me know.

I do like choppers and it is a child hood thing. Do I need to go fast or want to go fast, well not really I don't care how long it takes me to get there? But thats me. I have saddle bags and a luggage rack to go on long trips that is easy to pull off.

Would I have this bike in BKK yes I would but it would not be my every day commute bike? Would I ever own a sports bike yes I would?

post-87487-0-61308300-1305273621_thumb.j

post-87487-0-50466000-1305273763_thumb.j

Bikes are far too expensive in Thailand. Even used 6 year olds. I saw a clean 04 R1 with 40k on the clock and the price was just ridiculous compared the UK. The guy wanted 600,000 baht. I'm not a big fan of cruisers and would always go for a sport tourer and the Fazer the guy posted above is the perfect bike for touring.

Bikes are far too expensive in Thailand. Even used 6 year olds. I saw a clean 04 R1 with 40k on the clock and the price was just ridiculous compared the UK. The guy wanted 600,000 baht. I'm not a big fan of cruisers and would always go for a sport tourer and the Fazer the guy posted above is the perfect bike for touring.

Erm, I guess if you can't afford it, it's too expensive ;-)

And 600k for a 2004 R1 is just taking the piss- a realistic price would be between 200-300k with book.

There are more and more CHEAP big bike options from Kawasaki and prices of second hand bikes of all makes are falling fast.

The Kawasaki Versys ABS sells for only 285k Baht new with 2 year unlimited warranty and while it won't win any beauty contests it's an excellent bike for touring Thailand and beyond.

May7Route105VersysSSR.jpg

May7Versys105aSSR.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

May3rdRoute1081VersysSSR.jpg

Interesting thread! I owned several sports tourers in the UK (Triumph Sprint RS 955 was the last one) and that style of bike seemed ideal for the UK roads. But I also rented a Harley Sportster for a trip from Miami to LA ... and that bike seemed ideal for the long US highways and sweeping back roads, and when I lived in India I rode a Bullet, which was great for Indian roads.

But now I live in Bangkok and I reckon my current bike is ideal for here (Yamaha Nouvo 135). But .... I'm going to get something bigger (and less suitable) because ... well ..... I'm a bloke. D-Tracker or Versys ... can't decide between the light/nimble but under-powered D-Tracker or the extra power but extra weight of the Versys. After riding the Nouvo for a couple of years the Versys feels heavy in traffic and a bit wide, so I'm leaning towards the D-Tracker? (Any views on this would be much appreciated)

But the moral for me is ... bikes are bikes and it's what you do with it that counts.

Interesting thread! I owned several sports tourers in the UK (Triumph Sprint RS 955 was the last one) and that style of bike seemed ideal for the UK roads. But I also rented a Harley Sportster for a trip from Miami to LA ... and that bike seemed ideal for the long US highways and sweeping back roads, and when I lived in India I rode a Bullet, which was great for Indian roads.

But now I live in Bangkok and I reckon my current bike is ideal for here (Yamaha Nouvo 135). But .... I'm going to get something bigger (and less suitable) because ... well ..... I'm a bloke. D-Tracker or Versys ... can't decide between the light/nimble but under-powered D-Tracker or the extra power but extra weight of the Versys. After riding the Nouvo for a couple of years the Versys feels heavy in traffic and a bit wide, so I'm leaning towards the D-Tracker? (Any views on this would be much appreciated)

But the moral for me is ... bikes are bikes and it's what you do with it that counts.

My 2 satang- if you're going to be riding mostly in the city pick the D-Tracker (or just keep the scooter you have already), but if you hope to escape the city for some longer rides choose the Versys as everyone says the D-Tracker is very uncomfortable and underpowered for distance rides.

Honda VTX 1800 style C, awesome cruiser, +100hp stock, shaft, good brakes, long wheelbase, huge amount of low end tourque, still miss it, but not around town, almost 400kg with fuel, and milage similar to my Yaris

post-81971-0-05594000-1305517201_thumb.jpost-81971-0-61689400-1305517251_thumb.j

agile, light, easy to ride, adequate power, inexpensive to buy and almost free to maintain/repair, Ninja 650R

post-81971-0-09071100-1305517479_thumb.j

and sometimes auto is pure fun, TMax 500

post-81971-0-89820700-1305517591_thumb.j