American & British English In Thailand

Our kids have been taught a mixture of both in school by different teachers, I have expat English teachers friends, well farlang teaching English in Thailand, who teach both British and American English.

My native English is British English spelling, I would like to do some additional home schooling, they are currently being taught by Philipino teachers, using American English, any advice here?

Thanks so much in advance.rolleyes.gif

Is there a difference between the two, other than the accent and "color" in AE is spelled "colour" in BE? I've noticed on Facebook, under languages spoken, it lists Australian English as one of the choices. I'm curious to know what the differences are.

Along this same subject, does it matter if an English teacher seeking a job in Thailand speaks American English, British English, or Australian English?

Is there a difference between the two, other than the accent and "color" in AE is spelled "colour" in BE? I've noticed on Facebook, under languages spoken, it lists Australian English as one of the choices. I'm curious to know what the differences are.

Along this same subject, does it matter if an English teacher seeking a job in Thailand speaks American English, British English, or Australian English?

It's not just accent. For instance, Americans pronounce Z as 'Zee'. Brits say 'Zed'. There are many different spellings, not just 'color'.

Also different words.......eg. Americans and Canadians refer to 'broiling or broil'. We Brits refer to it as grilling or grill.

We teach from a variety of books from different countries. Teachers are told to follow the language structure of the book and the spelling in the book. Students are taught both.

"American English" has began to influence the world and will eventually become the leading global (English) language, the actual English (not British English) language, which was once the global leader (due to the Empire) will then be reduced accordingly.

The written American English is of course not much of a problem, but the American "accent" has changed a great deal over the last 30 years or so, and that will eventually affect the "clarity" of the original "English" - English language.

I wouldn't worry too much if my children were taught "at the weekend" by one teacher and "on the weekend" by another or be concerned whether they spell "colour' or "color", especially at beginner or low levels. As they progress, the differences between the two forms can be pointed out.

I am from North America but after working with so many Brits for so long, i find myself using more British English terms, like "petrol", and although I will jokingly scold myself (if I'm talking to a Brit at the time) I really don't mind when the two are mixed. I think that in this day of global communication, which is constantly growing faster and cheaper, there will be more of a combination of Brit and American English being used. Besides, It's my understanding that American English today is very much like British English was many years ago. Language evolves!

What's more concerning to me how there can be an American billion (1,000,000,000) and a British billion (1,000,000,000,000).

Edited by Wavefloater
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Most of the books I see here for teaching in the likes of SE-ED shop etc are for American, I think at this stage, just easier for them to fit into their school curriculum. I want to do much more at home with them though and have kind of been confused which series to use and which edition of English.

Even though I am not American, I am not anti using it, just want what ever is easier for the kids. Also, much of IT is in American English as well. Just look at HTML.

I can see them going to a British based education system later on, seems like the advice here is not to worry for now. rolleyes.gif

I wouldn't worry too much if my children were taught "at the weekend" by one teacher and "on the weekend" by another or be concerned whether they spell "colour' or "color", especially at beginner or low levels. As they progress, the differences between the two forms can be pointed out.

I am from North America but after working with so many Brits for so long, i find myself using more British English terms, like "petrol", and although I will jokingly scold myself (if I'm talking to a Brit at the time) I really don't mind when the two are mixed. I think that in this day of global communication, which is constantly growing faster and cheaper, there will be more of a combination of Brit and American English being used. Besides, It's my understanding that American English today is very much like British English was many years ago. Language evolves!

What's more concerning to me how there can be an American billion (1,000,000,000) and a British billion (1,000,000,000,000).

I think that it is widely accepted these days (even by us Brits) that a billion is 1,000,000,000 and 1,000,000,000,000 is a trillion,

"American English" has began to influence the world and will eventually become the leading global (English) language, the actual English (not British English) language, which was once the global leader (due to the Empire) will then be reduced accordingly.

You're obviously American.

I doubt that American English will become dominant. Anyway.........over the next 30-40 years or so ain't Spanish going to be the most widely spoken language in the good 'ol US of A? ;)

Edited by Phatcharanan

IMO The difference in American and Australian English,and English, is minute,and does nothing to alter the Basic English Language!,just some different ways of spelling a few words, hardly anything Radical to get excited about!

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1

IMO The difference in American and Australian English,and British English, is minute,and does nothing to alter the Basic English Language!,just some different ways of spelling a few words, hardly anything Radical to get excited about!

Exactly.

I am American and enjoy the sound of a British accent also a southern US accent as well.

If you memorize boot/trunk apartment/flat gasoline/petrol and few more as well as a few spelling differences you will be fine. Children should know both perfectly.

One billion again can be memorized but that is the one single issue that would concern me if you were in science or finance. I wonder what type of footnotes audited statements of multinational companies have regarding billions....?

Also with the influence of Hollywood and Wall Street one could argue that American English is the English of international business and has been for a long time.

On a practical level on native speakers of English in my experience understand American much more easily than other English speakers - again not because American English is better - simply because of Hollywood.

• Like 1

The written American English is of course not much of a problem, but the American "accent" has changed a great deal over the last 30 years or so, and that will eventually affect the "clarity" of the original "English" - English language.

The majority of Americans will be speaking Spanish as a first language in the not too distant future. The standard English is more likely to be Indian English. There are over 1 Billion Indians worldwide, far more than Americans, and they have taken over the outsourcing for Microsoft and other IT Companies.

Accent & pronunciation aside, Australian English follows British English for spelling. However on a computer, an Australian English keyboard is different from a British English keyboard, primarily in that it does not have a symbol for the British Pound, but carries the Dollar $ symbol for the great Australian Dollar! So there you go :)

I doubt that American English will become dominant. Anyway.........over the next 30-40 years or so ain't Spanish going to be the most widely spoken language in the good 'ol US of A? ;)

Doubt that Spanish will ever take over.

Chinese Mandarin No 1, English No 2, Spanish No 3.

http://www.krysstal.com/spoken.html

• Like 1

The majority of Americans will be speaking Spanish as a first language in the not too distant future. The standard English is more likely to be Indian English. There are over 1 Billion Indians worldwide, far more than Americans, and they have taken over the outsourcing for Microsoft and other IT Companies.

Oh I guess you are referring to call centers - where business is done in English. Interestingly I do believe that one common denominator among Indians speaking together in India is that English is very widely understood by persons with any education.

I hate it that the USA has pandered to the Mexicans by adopting a bi-lingual system ala Canada. English is the glue that holds us together. It's called assimilation.

My advice to students is to learn how to use both versions of English, but to be consistent in using one or the other in a specific document or body of work.

Exactly ---

When I hire, I attempt to hire teachers that are from the places our clients are likely to end up. I do however keep one American, one Australian, and one teacher from the UK on staff at all times. When I personally work with our clients I try and deal with the issues that come up around spelling in a single document. All in all ---- I tell them not to sweat the small stuff though ;)

:lol: Good point.

Language is an emotional issue. What and how we speak is near and dear to everyone's heart. This thread, however, needs to focus on the aspects of language for non-native speakers, not on which version is better.

One of the big differences I have noticed is in grammar. British will say "I have got...." whereas in American English you never use "got" this way. "I have...." is correct. But Americans use "gotten" which I rarely hear British use.

Edited by Kilgore Trout

• 1 year later...

Some differences are indeed funny.

A good example is the slang word "fag". In the Commonwealth, a fag is slang for a cigarette, while in the USA the same word is slang for a gay man!

The word "rubber" means an eraser in the Commonwealth but refers to a condom in the USA... so an English student in an American college would quite naturally lean over to an American student and ask to borrow their rubber!

For Australians, they find it amusing when Americans say they are rooting for them - root in Australian means to have sex!

Pissed is also a good one. Pissed in real English is drunk.

Hope it's not raining cats and dogs this evening--------wai.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1